downloading GenesisStarterEssentials (for mac) will not unzip. 2 browsers both failing to unarchiv

kin hellkin hell Posts: 0
edited October 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

G'day hello all

I am experiencing a somewhat frustrating difficulty

I am on my 5th attempted download and unzip of
GenesisStarterEssentials_1.4_trx.zip (for Mac)

4 times in Safari (unfortunately I cannot remember the end d/l size), but each attempt failed to unarchive for various reasons the most common being "cannot unzip because 14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.4_trx.zip is still downloading" ????

I have just tried Firefox and have a finished downloading 14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.4_trx.zip file showing 44.3MB,
..........and an error message
from Archive Utility saying
Unable to unarchive "14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.4_trx.zip" into "Downloads".

When I try to unzip it with StuffIt Expander I get
"An error occurred attempting to expand ..../Downloads/14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.4_trx.zip
The archive may be damaged (Error #17537)"

I have a number of questions.
1. does anyone know what size the finished "14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.4_trx.zip" download should be?
2. It was suggested for someone elsewhere (experiencing similar failure) to clear their cache and try to DL again.
Does the fact that I have failed in both safari and firefox nullify that suggestion?
3. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I thank you in advance.

Post edited by kin hell on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

There is a problem with the servers at the moment:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8818/#117690

My Genesis Starter Essentials is about 419 MB (PC), but Mac should be similar.

• kin hellkin hell Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks mate

I opened your link and got

"Error

the following errors were encountered....

....you are not authorised to view this forum"

I truly do not know what the above is supposed to mean/represent, or even if it was talking to me personally or was just some generic post your link connected to?
    The inescapable ambiguity of this medium is everpresent.
    Anyway...

could you clarify,
    1. Do you mean that the problem with the servers is a possible cause of my problem?
    2.Regarding the "My Genesis Starter Essentials(GSE) is about 419 MB (PC)" .....is that the final unzipped/unarchived size?
    .... because what I am trying to find out is what size the zip file (for mac) should be. Once I know what size the zip DL should be I can then see if I am getting the full zip file, or if the DL itself is failing/stopping before it should.
    I suspect the unzipped/unarchived GSE (Mac) will be something like your 419MB.

I appreciate your help.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

That link goes to the PC members only forum. I copied and pasted the post into this thread here.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8784/#117701

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited October 2012

First of all, sorry for posting the link without thinking. It is for the Platinum Club Members Forums, so if you are not a PC member, you cannot view it, that is what the error message means.

The web team are working on fixing the problem, and it has affected a lot of users so far, and yes, it is a general problem, although it does seem to work for some people.

The Starter essentials for the PC is in EXE format (installer), and it is 419 MB. I don;t know how small it would get in a ZIP file, but it should still be quite large I would have thought.

Sorry I am not able to offer more help, hopefully this will be sorted out in the very near future..

EDIT:

Thanks for the link chohole!

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
    edited December 1969

...thanks to you both

disambiguation has been achieved :-)

I will watch with interest.

Can you suggest a thread which might be announcing suitable repair once it has occured?

Can you also tell me how long I must be a member for before I am no longer considered new? ;-)

edited October 2012

kin hell said:
    ...thanks to you both

disambiguation has been achieved :-)

I will watch with interest.

Can you suggest a thread which might be announcing suitable repair once it has occured?

Can you also tell me how long I must be a member for before I am no longer considered new? ;-)

Answer to the first question. DAZ_BFurner has said he will let forum members know as soon as it is fixed. This will probably be in one or the other of the threads linked to (or even both)

Answer to the second question. After 25 posts to the new forum you are acknowledged as a member, so your 26th post will reflect that.. We all started as new members when the new forums were launched.

Further changes to member status occur on 251, 1001 and 2501 posts
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

thanks cohole

I was being a little facetious regarding "new" member ....given my forum joining date ..."Joined 2007-05-19"
    but thanks for the further clarification.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

The Zip will be 445,576,071 bytes.

edited December 1969

kin hell said:
    thanks cohole

I was being a little facetious regarding "new" member ....given my forum joining date ..."Joined 2007-05-19"
    but thanks for the further clarification.

Yes it surprised us all at first. If you notice my join date, and I started as a new member as here, as did Richard H, and he not only started the same day as I did, he had over 50,000 posts on the old forum as well. He had to start as a new member with zero posts as well. No fair.
    :coolsmirk:
  • DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

We will post an announcement in all the forums that its been fixed. I just talked to the web developers, they think they have the fix in place, It just needs to be tested then it will be rolled out...if it passes.

Hopefully later today.

edited December 1969

Ascania I thank you...

chohole said:

Yes it surprised us all at first. If you notice my join date, and I started as a new member as here, as did Richard H, and he not only started the same day as I did, he had over 50,000 posts on the old forum as well. He had to start as a new member with zero posts as well. No fair.
    :coolsmirk:

Well I always wanted a second childhood...

DAZ_bfurner I appreciate the heads up good luck