Oh for the love of god!

DogzDogz Posts: 896
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Im trying to Upgrade to Daz Studio 4.5
Problem is I cannot download '14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.4_trx.exe' Ive been trying since last night and Ive now had to reset the download twice from my itemized order history,
Ive tried in Both IE and Firefox, on both the download craps out after a couple of minutes.
IEs tell me the download was interupted and I am unable to resume.
FF tells me the scource is no longer avliable.

What is going on here?
Now I have to stop work on my next product or roll back to DS4 .....Please guys seriously,

Comments

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited October 2012

Just tried Taozens Download manager:

02/10/2012 10:03:15: ERROR!: -2146232800 = System.IO.IOException: Received an unexpected EOF or 0 bytes from the transport stream. at System.Net.ConnectStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) at ContentDownloaderDAZ.frmMain.DownloadFile() - file not saved...

0001: [ DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro ] C:\2012-10-02\DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro\14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.4_trx.exe

This is not funny anymore.

Post edited by Dogz on
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Are you using IE with another page browsing the web while your downloading? I ask because sometimes my downloads get interrupted If I continue to brows the web while the download is in progress. I also never use google or youtube when downloading something cos my dl's always interrupt.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Please see DAZ_BFurners comment here, on this issue http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8818/#117690

edited October 2012

Spyro said:
    Are you using IE with another page browsing the web while your downloading? I ask because sometimes my downloads get interrupted If I continue to brows the web while the download is in progress. I also never use google or youtube when downloading something cos my dl's always interrupt.

Nope, have tried several times with out touching anything else.

Please see DAZ_BFurners comment here, on this issue http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8818/#117690

Thanks Chohole, seen it - Well thats just great!
    Rolling back to DS 4.0..... annoying doesnt even being to describe it.
    The real kicker is that IEs DL manager appeared to have downloaded sucessfully the first time around - hence i pushed forward with the upgrade, then I got an error when i tried to install the starter kit - and realised that the file was only 30kb in size : (

Post edited by Dogz on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited December 1969

Dogz said:
    Just tried Taozens Download manager:

02/10/2012 10:03:15: ERROR!: -2146232800 = System.IO.IOException: Received an unexpected EOF or 0 bytes from the transport stream. at System.Net.ConnectStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) at ContentDownloaderDAZ.frmMain.DownloadFile() - file not saved...

0001: [ DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro ] C:\2012-10-02\DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro\14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.4_trx.exe

This is not funny anymore.

I just got the same error too when I did some test downloads of DAZ Studio, but only with 1 out of 3 downloads, the other 2 was okay (did an MD5 compare with an older copy I had). Then I tried with Genesis Starter Essentials, the file broke the first 3 times, but the 4th time I got it. With smaller files it's quite rare that I get errors. Obviously, the bigger the file, the bigger the risk that it breaks.

So you could try again a few times, maybe you'll get lucky.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

With a file the size of the Essentials I'd be tempted, with the current issues, not to bother. I've just re-downloaded Carhop for Genesis Female as my initial download failed to install.
    I've downloaded it 5 times now:
    1 31.8 MB
    2 18.5 MB
    3 27.0 MB
    4 41.0 MB
    5 41.0 MB
    which makes me hope that 41.0 MB IS the correct size. That's for a 41 MB file - the Essentials is, what, 8 to 10 times the size? I got it when before this issue manifested and it still took 2 or 3 attempts. The sad thing is that it will probably be worth your while getting up and running with 4.5 beta.

edited December 1969

The strange thing is that it varies a lot from person to person. I did a test download of 130 zip files (they can be tested for corruption with WinRAR or WinZIP) from DAZ, only one was broken. In general it's very rare I experience corrupted downloaded files in any context.

I have optimized my (XP) system settings using the Tweak Test at dslreports, I wonder if that is playing a role. Could also just be that some people have bad connections or ISPs; my own connection is rock stable.

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    With a file the size of the Essentials I'd be tempted, with the current issues, not to bother. I've just re-downloaded Carhop for Genesis Female as my initial download failed to install.
    1 31.8 MB
    2 18.5 MB
    3 27.0 MB
    4 41.0 MB
    5 41.0 MB
    which makes me hope that 41.0 MB IS the correct size.

You could do a binary or MD5 compare of the two files, if they are identical you can be pretty sure they are OK.

edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    SimonJM said:
    1 31.8 MB
    2 18.5 MB
    3 27.0 MB
    4 41.0 MB
    5 41.0 MB
    which makes me hope that 41.0 MB IS the correct size.

You could do a binary or MD5 compare of the two files, if they are identical you can be pretty sure they are OK.

They do indeed have an identical md5sum - I should have thought of that as a quick way of checking, thanks!
    Meantime, back to fun and games with The Monument ... in between a failed download, incomplete downloads and me picking the ruddy MAC zip files by mistake to download It's driving me bananas! ;) But I, just now!, have got two files the same size, so off to md5sum them ... :)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

when i run the installers in Windows7, W7 gives me a message it may not have installed properly. i have to click, yes it installed properly.

just though i'd mention it, in case someone is collecting these comments for the programmers.

edited October 2012

when i run the installers in Windows7, W7 gives me a message it may not have installed properly. i have to click, yes it installed properly.

just though i'd mention it, in case someone is collecting these comments for the programmers.

Ive had that one since Win 7 too - with just about all Daz installers, but there has never actually been a real problem.
    I think its safe to say you can ignore it.

Post edited by Dogz on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Yes, that error message is because older products have a weblinks folder with links to DAZ 3D which are set to read-only. WIn7 gives that message because it won't let the next installer overwrite them. You can ignore it. I install to an empty dummy folder first, so I don't get that message very often.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Frequently, that is because it fails to create the desktop link to the store...technically, the install did NOT complete correctly, but the only thing 'broken' is a pretty annoying desktop link/icon. And that's more often due to Windows/firewall/AV settings than it is an actual fault in the installer.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

@Dogz: DS4.5 should work even if you didn't update Genesis. Have you tried?

edited December 1969

Yes it works - but Genesis is M.I.A

edited October 2012

SimonJM said:
    Taozen said:

They do indeed have an identical md5sum - I should have thought of that as a quick way of checking, thanks!

It's not an absolute guarantee they're OK, theoretically it is possible for two files to break at exactly the same point when downloading, thus being identical byte for byte, but I believe the chance for this to happen is rather small.
    Post edited by Taoz on
    edited December 1969

Dogz said:

That is strange, I don't remember wether the old genesis is deinstalled but it shouldn't as the installers are separated.

Try to look in My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base if you find the Genesis.dsf and also in My Library\People\Genesis if it's just the Genesis.duf which is missing

edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    SimonJM said:
    Taozen said:

It's not an absolute guarantee they're OK, theoretically it is possible for two files to break at exactly the same point when downloading, thus being identical byte for byte, but I believe the chance for this to happen is rather small.

Oh, I know - and why I should have thought of it as a check is I used to be a *nix support person ;)

edited October 2012

Dogz said:

That is strange, I don't remember wether the old genesis is deinstalled but it shouldn't as the installers are separated.

Try to look in My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base if you find the Genesis.dsf and also in My Library\People\Genesis if it's just the Genesis.duf which is missing

Already looked, nope and nope niether DSF or DUF version is in either place, all the additonal Genesis content I have installed is there, just not Genesis :(
    Its as if Genesis DSF went with DS4.0 when uninstalled. and Genesis DUF isn't included in the 4.5 installer. Is that not so?

Post edited by Dogz on
    edited December 1969

Dogz said:
    Dogz said:

Already looked and nope :(

No luck then. Hope you achive to download the starter file. Otherwise you may have to downgrade to 4.0
    Another way if you have a 64 bit system is to install a 32 bit and keep the 64 bit version at 4.5 if that is what you installed and provided you have the necessary files

edited December 1969

Dogz said:
    Dogz said:

Already looked and nope :(

No luck then. Hope you achive to download the starter file. Otherwise you may have to downgrade to 4.0
    Another way if you have a 64 bit system is to install a 32 bit and keep the 64 bit version at 4.5 if that is what you installed and provided you have the necessary files

Its ok, I'll live with it for now, I can work on textures for the time being, while Daz glue their server back together - hopefully in the next day or so.
    I appreciate your efforts by the way, thanks :)

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

I get that too but only with the older installers (just pre-bitrock or maybe just the earliest bitrock installers) the newer installers work fine. The impression I get is Windows 7 can somehow tell these older installers were made when OS's were older and so it's asking that to determine if it needs to be run in compatability mode.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Dogz said:

Its as if Genesis DSF went with DS4.0 when uninstalled. and Genesis DUF isn't included in the 4.5 installer. Is that not so?

That's exactly right.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,794
    edited December 1969

Just downloaded ‘14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.4_trx.exe’ with no probs and installed ok as well.. using Firefox latest.

Couldn't download any files using the download manager mentioned.. OS is Windows 8 Release preview.

edited December 1969

Yep thankfully its all sorted for me too, I just got it as per normal with IE, installed fine and I now have Genesis back :)