DAZ 4.5 saving and loading old .daz files

CyprithCyprith Posts: 41

Hello,

I have a problem with .duf files created from old .daz files. The daz file load normally and there are no problems with that. But when I want to save that scene as a .duf file chances are that they are not saved at all at the first try. The second try creates a .duf file but when I load it a couple of assets are missing. They show up as grey bounding boxes. The original .daz file however works fine.

The content I used in these scenes is mostly V4 stuff. The missing stuff were morphs and clothes. The .daz files were created with a second PC via network but it uses my library and my data folder so I normally can open all files made with the second PC. The only difference is that the second PC runs Windows XP and the 32bit version of Studio 4.5 Pro. My PC works with the 64bit version and Win7.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It's your Content Folders, Can we get a Screen Shot of your DS4 Content Directory Manager with all the DS and Poser Formats expanded?

• CyprithCyprith Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

I'm not quite sure if they are really the reason. They haven't changed for years.

DazContentpaths.jpg
    631 x 240 - 113K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,823
    edited December 1969

You have both D:\DAZRuntime and D:\DAZRuntime\Content selected as content directories - that's probably the problem, you don't want a content folder nested inside another.

edited December 1969

Actually DazRuntime/ is a read only location and no data went there. But I tried it without and nothing changes. The assets Daz is asking for don't exist. I've checked the data folder and the path. There are auto_adapted/legacy_xxx files but not the ones for that scene. And why doesn't Studio save the first time? The saving message box appears and disappears shortly after that and no duf file is saved.

edited December 1969

You just answered your own question. If the TOP listed folder is Protected DS can not Write to it. If it can not write then no DATA can be saved to the Folder.With the ROOT folder Protected DS can not SAVE to the sub folder (content). And as stated before DS prefers a None NESTED folder as the default content folder. Content should be the folder not DAZRuntime/content.

edited October 2012

No, the newest access in the /DAZRuntime/ path is from March this year and not today. I can load old .daz files and save them as .duf files. I have only trouble with two scenes so far which don't work. These scenes were made from the second PC with Daz 4 a few weeks ago and belong to a series of scenes which causes trouble since the second PC runs with Daz 4.5 32bit.
    I don't have problems with the 64bit version but the 32bit version seems to have issues with saving duf files correctly via network. And mysteriously if I open the source scenes (which are fully working .daz files) and try to save them as duf my 64bit version suddenly seems to have the same problems although all resources, scene files and the data folder are on my drive. There is no data stored on the second PC but since 4.5 32bit it is instable when it comes to saving duf scenes.

By the way DAZRuntime is just a name. Think of MyLibrary if the word confuses you. And I don't think that this is the problem. I work with this path structure for more than four years now.

Post edited by Cyprith on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited October 2012

Edited: I was rambling again

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Cyprith said:
    By the way DAZRuntime is just a name. Think of MyLibrary if the word confuses you. And I don't think that this is the problem. I work with this path structure for more than four years now.
    Okay, so you CAN load a .daz file and save as a .duf on this PC. but if you move a .daz file from 32bit (other PC same folders and paths) you get the errors when you save as 64bit .duf file. That tells me the 32bit .daz file MUST have some path errors that cause bad pointers on the 64bit PC.

It's the only thing I can see. I could be 100% wrong. I'm no .duf expert. Sorry I was no help.
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Depending how your network access is configured, the folder may be read-only from one machine and not the other.

edited December 1969

Well, that's the weird thing. The other machine has full access to the content folder. It has produced a fully working .daz scene file with Daz Studio version 4 two weeks ago and it can also save .duf with Daz Studio version 4.5 but in a instable manner. Sometimes you get lucky and everything works fine the next time it doesn't save correctly. This behaviour seems to be random.

• edited February 2013

Is the folder you have saved your scene, in the list of folders that daz studio searches on start up ?

I had the same problem. After making daz studio search this location in the contents hierarchy it worked.

Post edited by cheater2001_061d500d4d on