This really floors me.

ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
edited December 1969 in New Users

It it possible to make an object behave like the floor.

If I put a plane with varying sloped geometries on it down on the ground can I make it a floor so that when I'm positioning objects above it and select "move to floor" they stop as soon as they come in contact with one of the plane's surfaces?

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited October 2012

It it possible to make an object behave like the floor.

If I put a plane with varying sloped geometries on it down on the ground can I make it a floor so that when I'm positioning objects above it and select "move to floor" they stop as soon as they come in contact with one of the plane's surfaces?

nope for DS
    yes for Bryce

Post edited by bigh on
  • ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited October 2012

bigh said:

nope for DS
    yes for Bryce

Oh that's good to know. How do I do that on Bryce?

(edit) Well not good to know that Daz can't do it, but good to know that Bryce can.

Post edited by ghastlycomic on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

bigh said:

nope for DS
    yes for Bryce

(edit) Well not good to know that Daz can't do it, but good to know that Bryce can.

click on model in Bryce - then click the little down arrow off to the side of it

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    bigh said:

nope for DS
    yes for Bryce

click on model in Bryce - then click the little down arrow off to the side of it

That doesn't seem to do anything different than the "move to floor" option in Daz. It doesn't actually make the object behave as a floor it just moves it to the floor.

What I wanted to do was make objects behave as if they were the floor so that if I have a terrain plain that slopes upwards and I position an object above or below it and use the "move to floor command the object orients itself to the surface of the plane as if it were a floor.

Right now if I build a terrain and move an object to a part of the terrain with a different elevation then select move to floor the object passes right through the terrain and disappears because the terrain's elevation is higher than the default floor. This makes positions the objects in different elevations very tedious to do.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You can try align -- how well it works varies depending on how far the bounding boxes for the objects extends from their visible parts,

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

mcj (not to be confused with me...mjc) has a Drop to top script that may be helpful, too..

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/mcjdroptotop

• geoff_d5b50fd3bcgeoff_d5b50fd3bc Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Move the object in top/side view to be above the floor object. Then hit the down arrow. The selected object goes to the object below it,

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI ghastlycomic :)

What you're asking for is "Collision detection" when one object is moved towards another, the program "detects" and "prevents! any intersection of the two meshes.

So, No. ..not in DS.

Most programs use a much simpler method of moving the object to a specific location, (drop to floor) in this case, it doesn't matter if there is any "floor" object, since the figure is simply "moved to" a preset level in the scene.

Also,.. Using physics based collision isn't a good idea when you're likely to have intersecting meshes such as a figure , with clothing, and hair.... it's a lot easier with an undressed figure, and there's much less to calculate.

Although it may seem logical to be able to create a physical floor, and have the figures stop when you move them to it, ..
    It's easier to switch to the front view, or Multi-view, and move the figures into the positions you need.

Carrara has a Collision detection "switch" but if you're working with dressed figures, then it's best left Off, or switched on only when you're moving the other scene objects.

Hope it helps :)