SOLVED: Newb Question Ron's waterline

Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
edited October 2012 in New Users

Hi:

I bought ron's waterline, and was able to install the brushes, but it comes with a bonus layers section containing psd files... And I can't seem to figure out where they go. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements and the daz installer asks me to figure out where they need to go. I'm stumped. Anyone can help me?

thanks

Serene.

Post edited by Serene Night on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I have PS Elements 9, and the only place I have any PSD files is in Presets/Textures. Try them in there.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi All :)

As those file are Photoshop PSD images, they're not "brushes" and can be placed wherever you want, EG : (in a textures folder)
    As long as the brushes from the product are installed into your photoshop brushes folder, you should be good to go.

You can open the PSD files as you normally would with any other image, then Copy / Paste, Clone, or Drag out any layers into your working images.

Hope that makes sense :)

• MarkR151MarkR151 Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

JimmyC or Anyone,

While we're on the subject of Ron's water products, I sent him a couple questions a few weeks ago about some of the water components, and he provided a link to an "ASL" file.

Pardon me please for not being a Layers expert, but what is an ASL file and which folder do I paste that in Photoshop?

I asked him twice, but he never responded. :-/

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

MarkR151 said:
    JimmyC or Anyone,

While we're on the subject of Ron's water products, I sent him a couple questions a few weeks ago about some of the water components, and he provided a link to an "ASL" file.

Pardon me please for not being a Layers expert, but what is an ASL file and which folder do I paste that in Photoshop?

Here's a tut I found on how to use them:

http://www.tutorial9.net/tutorials/photoshop-tutorials/install-layer-styles-in-photoshop/

• ecoleenaecoleena Posts: 85
    edited December 1969

MarkR151 said:
    JimmyC or Anyone,

Hello,
    i just found this explanation in internet, hope makes senses !
    What is a .asl file in Photoshop?

ASL stands for A dobe (photoshop) S tyle L ayer. The style can be applied to an object or layer in a Photoshop document and may include effects like a bevel, drop shadow, color overlay, or border. Something that enhances the original object or layer.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

That goes into your brushes folder. It is the brush file. I store mine in a folder called brushes, just on my HD, and then import them into PS when I need to use them, using the import brush dialogue in photoshop.

In my version, click on the bush tool, Besides the brush icon on the top bar, click on the little arrow, in the first drop down click on the double arrow and you get a drop down with lots of options, Click on Import brushes, then go to where you stored tjhe brush set and click on the one you want to import.

I load brushes as I need them, and then reset the brushes to default, to remove them, once I have finished. You can leave them in the brush dialogue, but too many hisres brushes slow down the loading time a lot.

edited October 2012

chohole,

Thanks for the prompt reply. When I pasted the ASL file into my Brushes folder, I found a lot of the default brushes listed individually as "ABR" files and a bunch of folders where Rons brushes are & labeled as such(Clearwater, Water, Splashes, etc)

Should the ASL file go in one or all the Rons Water folders or stored with all the main/default Brushes?

None of the other files in Brushes are called ASL; but ABR.

Thanks also to everyone else btw.

Post edited by MarkR151 on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Mark 151 :)

The ASL files should go into your Adobe / presets / styles.

they're not brushes.

Hope it helps :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

3DAGE is 100% on that. Good advice.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Sorry, my mistake ASL is a style file, not a brush file. Means he has included layer styles as well as brush files. They go in with your layer styles

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Hi All :)

As those file are Photoshop PSD images, they're not "brushes" and can be placed wherever you want, EG : (in a textures folder)
    As long as the brushes from the product are installed into your photoshop brushes folder, you should be good to go.

You can open the PSD files as you normally would with any other image, then Copy / Paste, Clone, or Drag out any layers into your working images.

Hope that makes sense :)

Thanks you 3dAge! that workked and I can see the files.... I felt like a dumb bunny not being able to figure out which folder to put those in d'oh!

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI Mark 151 :)

The ASL files should go into your Adobe / presets / styles.

they're not brushes.

Hope it helps :)

Thank you very much 3Dage! Most appreciated. :)