Let’s Make Clothing! Tutorial thread. Shoes too!

Comments

• edited December 1969

Oh that's you?! Yes. That was I. There's been a number of free morphs that aren't showing up - turns out they were all created in more recent programs and nothing is backwards compatible with D/S4. AFAIK it has something to do with different engines running the car. [not my analogy]
    I've done a few D/S = Bryce scenes however I don't worry about the bridge part. That may or not work correctly; and even where it might, it might not with Genesis. It's a simple matter to load, pose, export out the .obj files ... and just import them into Bryce - move them to where they are wanted and render the scene. Thankfully with W7 64 bit I can keep both programs open so there's no problem making minor pose adjustments and so forth in D/S to reship out the .obj files for Bryce to use. As I recall before exporting Genesis out of D/S4, make sure all the clothing items are 'fitted to' so they'll 'export with'.

Yep, Dvl is the, well, newest incarnation anyhow. I had a temper tantrum a few years back and deleted my old posting account, LOL, so decided to vary away from the Bahr/Bear theme for once. Eventually I'll start uploading some clothing items, but the morphs are just fun :)

I remeber before, I used to have a use a script for Daz to Bryce importing, it was actually called Daz2Bryce, I think. Would create the texture maps with any diffuse I had set for me, and prep everything for a nice clean import. I guess now it's all Shader baking or something to do that instead, or just exporting with maps for Bryce. (do those correct the maps if you have a diffuse other then white? ) I haven't tried the bridge.. so used to obj export for everything, I forget the bridges are even there :D

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Ebahr said:

Oh that's you?! Yes. That was I. There's been a number of free morphs that aren't showing up - turns out they were all created in more recent programs and nothing is backwards compatible with D/S4. AFAIK it has something to do with different engines running the car. [not my analogy]
    I've done a few D/S = Bryce scenes however I don't worry about the bridge part. That may or not work correctly; and even where it might, it might not with Genesis. It's a simple matter to load, pose, export out the .obj files ... and just import them into Bryce - move them to where they are wanted and render the scene. Thankfully with W7 64 bit I can keep both programs open so there's no problem making minor pose adjustments and so forth in D/S to reship out the .obj files for Bryce to use. As I recall before exporting Genesis out of D/S4, make sure all the clothing items are 'fitted to' so they'll 'export with'.

Yep, Dvl is the, well, newest incarnation anyhow. I had a temper tantrum a few years back and deleted my old posting account, LOL, so decided to vary away from the Bahr/Bear theme for once. Eventually I'll start uploading some clothing items, but the morphs are just fun :)

I remeber before, I used to have a use a script for Daz to Bryce importing, it was actually called Daz2Bryce, I think. Would create the texture maps with any diffuse I had set for me, and prep everything for a nice clean import. I guess now it's all Shader baking or something to do that instead, or just exporting with maps for Bryce. (do those correct the maps if you have a diffuse other then white? ) I haven't tried the bridge.. so used to obj export for everything, I forget the bridges are even there :D

Actually I haven't tried exporting anything from Bryce yet aside from conversions to .obj format. I'll import items in, set up various scenes and render the images.

edited September 2012

fixme12 no want :-(

Post edited by patience55 on
  • Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

Why not create all these tutorials in pdf?
    reading all this on a forum isn't to good for this.

edited December 1969

fixme12 said:
    Why not create all these tutorials in pdf?
    reading all this on a forum isn't to good for this.

Well I had a whole bunch uploaded, then some rather uptey snooty remarks were made, so i took all down. They want FREE tutorials from PROFESSIONAL teachers that were taught English at the same school they attended. Well you know, i have yet to see any such item per sa as the concept of 'professional', normally implies $$$$. And the schools that taught me gave me honour grades.

Thought the forum was also for helping folk, so kindly pardon me.

• edited September 2012

Well I had a whole bunch uploaded, then some rather uptey snooty remarks were made, so i took all down. They want FREE tutorials from PROFESSIONAL teachers that were taught English at the same school they attended. Well you know, i have yet to see any such item per sa as the concept of 'professional', normally implies $$$$. And the schools that taught me gave me honour grades.

You're not a native english speaker? I honestly had no idea on that one. You do a lot better then many people I know that have been born and bred here in NY-USA.

Don't let people get you down though. Unfortunately, drama, trolling, anti-social comments and the such are very much the part of the every day in a community like this. Back in the older days, I left the original Sims community due to garbage, then started hanging at Poser Pros for quite a while. Drama visited there, a friend there passed away, it was enough for me so I walked away from the Poser / Daz community. Spent a few years with dA, didn't communicate much. It's taken until just recently for me to start even trying to be social again. I do regret letting other people affect my enjoyment, though, and having so much wasted time under my belt now. I think I would have been much better off just ignoring the negatives, instead of impeding my own growth.
    Free tutorials, free resources, even free items are not going to be the same as 30$ ones. They take time, and in many cases time is money. When things are released for free, it's a labor of love and a want to return to the community or to help someone else. So I wouldn't worry about critiques too much, as long as the information is correct, if someone doesn't like the presentation..they can spend 30$ to get the same info somewhere else.
    Edit: Rereading my own comment, the 'if someone doesn't like the presentation..' part is intended about people who may have been uppity, or the such, not towards FixMe's comment about preferring PDF. I personally prefer PDF or downloadables myself, since I tend to use my offline machine when rendering.

Post edited by e-bahr_b0b4c77606 on
    edited December 1969

Ebahr said:

You're not a native english speaker? I honestly had no idea on that one. You do a lot better then many people I know that have been born and bred here in NY-USA.

Don't let people get you down though. Unfortunately, drama, trolling, anti-social comments and the such are very much the part of the every day in a community like this. Back in the older days, I left the original Sims community due to garbage, then started hanging at Poser Pros for quite a while. Drama visited there, a friend there passed away, it was enough for me so I walked away from the Poser / Daz community. Spent a few years with dA, didn't communicate much. It's taken until just recently for me to start even trying to be social again. I do regret letting other people affect my enjoyment, though, and having so much wasted time under my belt now. I think I would have been much better off just ignoring the negatives, instead of impeding my own growth.
    Free tutorials, free resources, even free items are not going to be the same as 30$ ones. They take time, and in many cases time is money. When things are released for free, it's a labor of love and a want to return to the community or to help someone else. So I wouldn't worry about critiques too much, as long as the information is correct, if someone doesn't like the presentation..they can spend 30$ to get the same info somewhere else.
    Edit: Rereading my own comment, the 'if someone doesn't like the presentation..' part is intended about people who may have been uppity, or the such, not towards FixMe's comment about preferring PDF. I personally prefer PDF or downloadables myself, since I tend to use my offline machine when rendering.

English yes, American no.
    Anyhow FixMe is apparently unfamiliar with our forums here. They most certainly are also for tutorials. We had pages upon pages of them in the previous website. And Nuts N' Bolts is the place where we're to be putting them.
    You know, it wasn't even a tutorial, it was 3 image promotion for a delightful program I came across called Sketchbook Pro.
    Great for making tillable texture images.

Display1pat.png
    600 x 600 - 410K
    Display1.png
    600 x 600 - 267K
  • edited December 1969

That's from Autodesk, isn't it? I have used XFader forever now, bought it for webpages a while back and discovered that any program that can tile correctly is a godsend, and a total saver on time :)

edited December 1969

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=6848332&siteID=123112

Yes ;-) 'bout the only program they sell I can afford lol ... sigh.

Oh yes it also has a "Sketchbook Snapshot" as part of its install. Neat. Takes a picture of whatever is on the screen so one can start painting on said image. This could useful for many reasons.

One of the brushes is a neat little 'star'. But I have to say I love the eclipse ... set it up and pull out a paint brush ... the paint follows the curve flawlessly.

There's a free .pdf printer for W7 and I think the macs, File > print > instead of printing out on paper, set it to print out as .pdf. Only thing is to CHECK the .pdf file. Apparently some nurdy websites are set up [whether intentional or not I don't know] but they will not print out correctly. Not on paper either. When it's your invoice or something like that, it's very annoying.

http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/writer.asp works on Windows.

edited September 2012

Okay Ebahr,

Let's pretend I didn't spend all night trying to download updated files;

For GeoGrafting purposes, my first question is:
    Which size of Genesis do we work with in Hexagon?

[dear Mods, no movie threads ... geografted people need clothes too ;-) thank you]

1st_question.png
    530 x 494 - 45K
  • edited September 2012

Ok, this is going to sound a bit nuts, but.. Silo. I know it seems odd, but the Hexagon import/export scale doesn't seem to match up correctly. Silo, on the other hand, matches perfectly. so if you import objects from Hexagon in the Silo scale, and export objects to be used in Hexagon in the Silo scale, it fits Genesis without having to rescale in Daz at all.
    For the manikin, to make something Geografted using Hexagon, export your Genesis in the Base resolution, using the Silo Scale, and you're all set.
    Below: Dress made in Hexagon, then imported using the Silo Scale (no bridge for this, just imported the obj file :) )

SiloScaled.jpg
    350 x 569 - 13K
    Clipboard01.jpg
    700 x 570 - 35K
    Post edited by e-bahr_b0b4c77606 on
    edited December 1969

Ebahr said:
    Ok, this is going to sound a bit nuts, but.. Silo. I know it seems odd, but the Hexagon import/export scale doesn't seem to match up correctly. Silo, on the other hand, matches perfectly. so if you import objects from Hexagon in the Silo scale, and export objects to be used in Hexagon in the Silo scale, it fits Genesis without having to rescale in Daz at all.
    For the manikin, to make something Geografted using Hexagon, export your Genesis in the Base resolution, using the Silo Scale, and you're all set.
    Below: Dress made in Hexagon, then imported using the Silo Scale (no bridge for this, just imported the obj file :) )

Silo ... okay. Glad i asked 'cause i wouldn't have guessed this. Thanks.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Okay Ebahr,

[dear Mods, no movie threads ... geografted people need clothes too ;-) thank you]

I always use the bridge when doing clothing and so far have had no issues. When I use import/export I always have problems.
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Okay Ebahr,

I always use the bridge when doing clothing and so far have had no issues. When I use import/export I always have problems.

For clothing items it's been the reverse for me. I find the bridge is great for morphs and that's about it.
    However yes, getting the correct size for import/export is a challenge. Once I figured out a path that normally works, I just stick to it. However for GeoGrafting I'll give these Silo settings a try and see what happens. It'll be a little while yet though as :-) getting my new computer tomorrow!
    It'll [hopefully] be able to handle decent sized render jobs for my hobby. So looking forward to this.

edited December 1969

HU - catch sale over at Runtime DNA too ... finally had the dough ray me AND the item was on sale [bonus!] so hope you can catch it too if interested:

http://www.runtimedna.com/Modeling-with-Littlefox-Part-Collection1.html 60% off :-)

Took a quick look through them and YES YES YES!!!!

The tutorials can also be purchased individually and are on sale too. Even if you're a Poser or D/S "only" user, worth the 2 bits to see what the other half are talking about from time to time ;-)

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Thank you. I've picked those up as well as the tutorials that are on sale here.

edited December 1969

Hi all, wondering if anyone can help with adding morphs to a figure?

I've managed to fix using a morph the everafter gown A3 for genesis's basic shape.

I'm now trying to create a morph for the aiko shape. I'm following the same process I used for the original morph but it's not working. It's seems to be adding the aiko shape morph twice and making it too short.

The process I'm following:

Load genesis
    Load dress with the autofit fix to basic shape
    Use the aiko shape at 100%
    Send dress to Hexagon via the bridge
    fix in hexagon
    Send back to Daz using the bridge
    Create morph using the dialogue Choosing morph option
    Dial morph
    Dial the actor aiko to 0 to see if that would fix problem....

thanks

Pen

everafteraikoshapemorph_appliedwithactoraiko_dialed_to_zero.png
    1000 x 1414 - 1M
    everafteraikoshapeneedsfixing.png
    1000 x 1414 - 1M
    everafterbasicshapefixed.png
    1000 x 1414 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

I've managed to fix using a morph the everafter gown A3 for genesis's basic shape.

I'm now trying to create a morph for the aiko shape. I'm following the same process I used for the original morph but it's not working. It's seems to be adding the aiko shape morph twice and making it too short.

Load genesis
    fix in hexagon
    Dial morph

thanks

Pen

I just made these notes to be sure of the path for you. I tested using the child and basic female morphs everybody has.

1. load genesis, load dress, autofit, make shape
    2. export out an .obj to the desktop [someplace easy to find it]
    3. Zero out all morphs on Genesis with the dress in D/S.
    4. Select the clothing item and via the Bridge send it to Hexagon.
    5. Import in the aforementioned Genesis with Dress object. Can weld it all together [helps Hexagon manage] - can also select all the faces/make a 'new' shading domain and colour it red or something ... and then resize it down to the bridged in clothing item.

6. Mold the morph on the bridged in clothing.

7. Delete the "Genesis with clothing" .obj {solid cube must be selected to make a deletion - not edges, faces or vertice}

8. Select the previously bridged in clothing item and send it back via the bridge to D/S where hopefully the morph can be created.

{note to self: After creating it, save the morph.}

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

Load genesis
    fix in hexagon
    Dial morph

thanks

Pen

I just made these notes to be sure of the path for you. I tested using the child and basic female morphs everybody has.

1. load genesis, load dress, autofit, make shape
    2. export out an .obj to the desktop [someplace easy to find it]
    3. Zero out all morphs on Genesis with the dress in D/S.
    4. Select the clothing item and via the Bridge send it to Hexagon.
    5. Import in the aforementioned Genesis with Dress object. Can weld it all together [helps Hexagon manage] - can also select all the faces/make a 'new' shading domain and colour it red or something ... and then resize it down to the bridged in clothing item.

6. Mold the morph on the bridged in clothing.

7. Delete the "Genesis with clothing" .obj {solid cube must be selected to make a deletion - not edges, faces or vertice}

8. Select the previously bridged in clothing item and send it back via the bridge to D/S where hopefully the morph can be created.

{note to self: After creating it, save the morph.}

Thanks I'll give a try!

• launoklaunok Posts: 778
    edited October 2012

We're having a major heat wave for a few days ... so 'puters will be off more than on.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?7858x9bwogbhsh9 Making it work - Pt-01 is ready for now. And that will be it for this week.

Same over at sharecg.com http://www.ShareCG.com/v/62955/view/3/PDF-Tutorial/Making_it_Work_Pt-01

Dear Patience55,

All the links to your tutorials, both at mediafire and ShareCG has been removed. Do you have other links also for these and your other tutorials covered in this thread?

Thank you in advance.

Laura

Post edited by launok on
    edited December 1969

launok said:
    We're having a major heat wave for a few days ... so 'puters will be off more than on.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?7858x9bwogbhsh9 Making it work - Pt-01 is ready for now. And that will be it for this week.

Same over at sharecg.com http://www.ShareCG.com/v/62955/view/3/PDF-Tutorial/Making_it_Work_Pt-01

Dear Patience55,

All the links to your tutorials, both at mediafire and ShareCG has been removed. Do you have other links also for these and your other tutorials covered in this thread?

Thank you in advance.

Laura

Yes I removed them a little while ago. As I'm [slowly] setting up my new computer, I've been putting them all into one basket [folder] and expect to upload them somewhere again one day. Or make some new ones. We'll see. Also have a billion other ideas for things I'd like to make but sadly there are only so many days in the hour ;-)

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know of a tutorial on how to make folds on a dress? I am looking specifically for a draped look to a simple dress.

edited December 1969

JK0011 said:
    Does anyone know of a tutorial on how to make folds on a dress? I am looking specifically for a draped look to a simple dress.

Well depending upon which figure and how it's to be made, some folds are best done with texturing. However there is this method for creating a full skirt.

2_extract_up.png
    799 x 488 - 187K
    1_make_a_curved_line_circle.png
    799 x 522 - 119K
    edited December 1969

Okay, somebody was wanting some info about rigging shoes in D/S and I seem to have lost the thread ... so I'll put a bit of info here and maybe he'll find it ... or somebody else might like to see this too.

The pictures are named with numbers in case they don't load in the correct order.

5.png
    748 x 561 - 110K
    4.png
    621 x 799 - 198K
    3.png
    688 x 732 - 104K
    2.png
    799 x 503 - 142K
    1.png
    799 x 530 - 162K
    edited December 1969

And some more pics.

11.png
    799 x 387 - 142K
    10.png
    799 x 561 - 195K
    9.png
    799 x 445 - 156K
    7.png
    799 x 612 - 105K
    6.png
    621 x 561 - 87K
    edited October 2012

And the final set for now.

15.png
    799 x 483 - 172K
    13.png
    799 x 443 - 144K
    12.png
    799 x 390 - 193K
    edited October 2012

Here's the last image.
    Hopefully I found all the typos now ;-)

16.png
    722 x 600 - 126K
  • BagboyBagboy Posts: 170
    edited December 1969

Wonderful tutorial, Patience55.

Nice to see how you are setting the Center/EndPoint discs. It didn't seem right when I did them similarly, even though that's the only way it worked, but you've given me more confidence.

Also, good to see your comment on testing on different computers. On my one computer (and the one I'm working in), the Center/EndPoint discs seem to change every time I reopen it. Very frustrating, and, before I saw your tutorial, I began to think I was setting them in an illegitimate way.

I wonder why it does that? :-S

Thanks again!

edited December 1969

Bagboy said:
    Wonderful tutorial, Patience55.

Nice to see how you are setting the Center/EndPoint discs. It didn't seem right when I did them similarly, even though that's the only way it worked, but you've given me more confidence.

Also, good to see your comment on testing on different computers. On my one computer (and the one I'm working in), the Center/EndPoint discs seem to change every time I reopen it. Very frustrating, and, before I saw your tutorial, I began to think I was setting them in an illegitimate way.

I wonder why it does that? :-S

Thanks again!

You're welcome.

Just to be clear on one point, the actual ends of the bones are NOT changed. Those need to be the same as the one's of the figure or the item will not 'fit to'. What we are adjusting are the parameters for what the bones may do.

For anything to be changing every time you open the file ... could be either that you were accidentally making changes to the figure instead of [for eg] the shoes; or that you forgot to re-export out a new .cr2 file.

btw - some shoes could be made as simple props, to load individually and be parented to the feet.

• KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

anikad said:
    Has anyone used the genesis basic clothing rigging kit? Is it any good? I noticed it was on sale.

Oh Yes!!! Good time to get it. Includes instructions ;-)

What is the difference in the genesis basic clothing rigging kit and the daz transfer tools?

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.