FBX Vertex Colors

stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I don't suppose it is possible to import FBX files with vertex colors into Carrara is it. It does not appear to be possible with C.8, maybe C8.5 has updated this?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,815
    edited December 1969

I do import textured and coloured animated fbx models, not sure what you mean by vertex colors
    C8.5 has DEFINATELY fixed many mangling issues too!
    the shaders to definately tend to have a parametric layers list though if that is what you mean.

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

I am using 3dCoat to sculpt and it allows you to paint directly onto the sculpt without having to make any texture maps.In one of the youtube tutorials it shows an export in FBX to 3d Max which has a import button for vertex colours.Just wondering if Carrara has this and I cant find it. During my internet trawl, it turns out Blender cant do it either,and FBX code is basically owned by Autodesk.So I suppose that is why Max can,are they not owned by Autodesk.
    I think basically vertex color info is stored in the vertexs....or something...I'm falling asleep just typing this!! It just would save me much time and effort...no retopology,no normal maps.
    In the words of "Blackadder" "I am perfecly happy to wear cotton,but have no desire to know how it works"

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,815

this is an ancient thread but today I learnt Ultimate Unwrap 3D imports FBX with vertex colours

I now know what they are thanks to Mandelbulber 3D which exported the coloured ply file I then imported into Zbrush to convert to FBX

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

I am using 3dCoat to sculpt and it allows you to paint directly onto the sculpt without having to make any texture maps.In one of the youtube tutorials it shows an export in FBX to 3d Max which has a import button for vertex colours.Just wondering if Carrara has this and I cant find it. During my internet trawl, it turns out Blender cant do it either,and FBX code is basically owned by Autodesk.So I suppose that is why Max can,are they not owned by Autodesk.
    I think basically vertex color info is stored in the vertexs....or something...I'm falling asleep just typing this!! It just would save me much time and effort...no retopology,no normal maps.
    In the words of "Blackadder" "I am perfecly happy to wear cotton,but have no desire to know how it works"

Vertex color is not proprietary ... many open source applications (Meshlab, Cloudcompare to name a few) can work with it. Blender can import vertex color but I am not sure about the rendering results there, if that's your intent. There are several tutorial around showing how to convert vertex color to texture maps in Blender. I thought 3DCoat can make maps from vertex color as well?  As you say its a lot of work though.

Even if Carrara could use vertex color I think that very large large meshes that are typical (millions of colored points) would impact the performance in Carrara with the current display engine.

• Wow ...Prehistoric thread raises its ugly head.....

Thanks for the new info.

My workflow is sorted now...... 3DCoat to Marmoset Toolbag.......done , no unwrapping or baking required . I would not really need Toolbag either if 3DCoat rendered glass and  reflected colours. I hardly touch Carrara these days Im afraid. I occasionly use Philemos great hair converter and drape some fabric but thats about it.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078

That is a great recommendation for 3DCoat!  

Hope you are doing well, Stu.