converting stanford models with meshlab

greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Ok, since David and Horo use stanford models a lot in their tutorials I went ahead and downloaded some for my bryce library as well. Now the question I have is how do I convert/decimate them so that they are usable in bryce without consuming all my memory? I have meshlab but haven't really used it as yet and I am somewhat lost when looking at all the options.

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Ironically, I was easier to search through the automated emails from the DAZ forum, one by one, than it was to use the built in search facility of this website.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5529/P60/#89861

Post #69

LHD describes the process.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Ironically, I was easier to search through the automated emails from the DAZ forum, one by one, than it was to use the built in search facility of this website.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5529/P60/#89861

Post #69

LHD describes the process.

Thanks David, I knew the question was going to come up and I'm not so sure I would have found that post. I really didn't want to have to re-type it all out again. :)

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Thanks all, you guys ROCK my bryce world!

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Maybe sticking it in the tutorial thread would keep it where anyone could find it? Written in PDF format?

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    Maybe sticking it in the tutorial thread would keep it where anyone could find it? Written in PDF format?

That or somebody already doing the work for everyone and then hosting it on sharecg or some such site. I know I saw several of these Stanford models at these sites, although still in .ply or if in .obj still at full mesh density:

http://www.gfx-3d-model.com/featured-models/
    and
    http://thefree3dmodels.com/

I'm a little leery of the idea of this being posted as a sticky for people to apply to just any model as mesh reduction can be a tricky business. It wasn't so much of a problem because the Stanford models were so dense which was probably done on purpose to preserve the accuracy of the physical objects they were converting to digital form. This allowed for the meshes to be reduced without much loss to the integrity of it's shape. Other things like Daz figures probably would not do as well with the way I did the Stanford models.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited September 2012

GussNemo said:

You're not looking at me, do you?. I mean, I could do it because LordHardDriven told me how to do it - I mean the conversion.

EDIT: And host it, the PDF.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Well, I don't recall putting a name anywhere in that post. And I don't know how it would be done, so only those who are able, and with the know how, can get it done. So if someone dropped, say Horo, into the hat, what control do I have? ;-)

edited December 1969

Well the .pdf part is fairly simple if one owns adobe acrobat it can turn any web page into a .pdf so it'd just be a matter of going to the page where my instructions are and clicking the "convert webpage to .pdf" option. The hosting part is more a matter of who has an available site or the willingness and money to create one if they don't have one already. Perhaps Horo felt he was being referenced since he does have a site and hosts other things there for Bryce?

edited December 1969

Well, I have it up, I couldn't resist to make that tute since I was asked to so friendly and with the kind help of Mark. It'son my website, go to Raytracing > Tutorials > Bryce > Guests > Preparing Objects for Bryce using MeshLab by LordHardDriven or use the direct link http://www.horo.ch/raytracing/tuts/guest/Obj2Bryce-tut.pdf

edited September 2012

Horo said:
    Well, I have it up, I couldn't resist to make that tute since I was asked to so friendly and with the kind help of Mark. It'son my website, go to Raytracing > Tutorials > Bryce > Guests > Preparing Objects for Bryce using MeshLab by LordHardDriven or use the direct link http://www.horo.ch/raytracing/tuts/guest/Obj2Bryce-tut.pdf

I appreciate it but you didn't have to give me credit, you did all the work making it into a tutorial.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited December 1969

I tried making that post into a PDF but Adobe wanted either a yearly or monthly stipend to convert it. Did I miss something?

@Horo: Thanks for the PDF on the MeshLab.

edited December 1969

I appreciate it but you didn't have to give me credit, you did all the work making it into a tutorial.

That's right, but YOU figured out how it has to be done. There would be no tute without you, therefore credit is due.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    I tried making that post into a PDF but Adobe wanted either a yearly or monthly stipend to convert it. Did I miss something?

I would presume you were working with the free version of acrobat which is just a reader? The reader does not allow much more then just the ability to read .pdfs You have to have the bought full version of Acrobat to do things like converting pages to .pdf.

edited December 1969

Horo said:

That's right, but YOU figured out how it has to be done. There would be no tute without you, therefore credit is due.

Okay well send me a free copy of all your products I haven't bought yet and we'll call it even. :) Just kidding.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

You're most welcome.

Making the post into a PDF you either need Adobe Acrobat (not only the free reader) or select and copy to an editor like MS Word. You can edit it and either print it using the Adobe Destiller printer driver or the free PDFCreator. The PDFCreator makes a PDF for web use, with the Destiller printer driver (print to file as postscript, then use Destiller to create the final PDF) you can set the quality from web over ebook up to press, depending on the target usage of the PDF.

edited December 1969

Horo said:

Okay well send me a free copy of all your products I haven't bought yet and we'll call it even. :) Just kidding.

Do you mean you haven't purchased them all? You don't know how you miss out. :lol:

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Horo said:

Do you mean you haven't purchased them all? You don't know how you miss out. :lol:

Oh I wanted to, when your's and David's store went on sale I loaded up my cart with every product of yours and his I hadn't bought yet and the total came to somewhere in the ballpark of $500. Unfortunately as someone who along with his wife is on disability and therefore barely making ends meet month to month the idea of spending that much money on anything that is a hobby just isn't going to happen. You guys were lucky I bought anything more then the DVD because that was really the most I should have spent. Fortunately for you guys I had a bit of unexpected fortune that allowed me to spend about 4-5 times the cost of the DVD alone.

edited December 1969

Then you didn't miss out that much. Also joking. Thank you so much. I know the times ain't as good as they used to be. We've all got to cope with what we have.

edited December 1969

@Mark: Yes, I just have the free version of Acrobat Reader. After looking at the prices for the other three available, I'll continue to have just the free version.

@Horo: I couldn't find a price for PDF Creator, but it's free to use for 14 days. Most likely I'll have to collect more pop bottles for this one as well.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Horo: I couldn't find a price for PDF Creator, but it's free to use for 14 days. Most likely I'll have to collect more pop bottles for this one as well.

PDF Creator is free. Here's the link: http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator