ShareCG in trouble

Comments

• MarcoDDMarcoDD Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

This is an email I received directly from David in response to a message that I posted on his blog:

Hi .... We'll be announcing our road-map on the blog and
    directly to users who have items uploaded on the site, next Monday.
    Basically we will be giving all users the option to pay and not see any
    advertisements or not pay and see advertisements. There's more to this
    scenario, but this is the basic concept. Essentially if you don't want
    to pay you will experience the site as you have been experiencing it
    with no change.

There's more detail that you'll see on Monday, but by giving all users
    these options they can decide for themselves how they want to experience
    the site.

Cheers,

David
    ShareCG Admin

• LmWolfSpiritLmWolfSpirit Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Marco dd said:
    This is an email I received directly from David in response to a message that I posted on his blog:

with no change.

the site.

Cheers,

David
    ShareCG Admin

This is good, but not unexpected, news. I also noticed that the Donation to freebie providers option is back up today. = )

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Marco dd said:

with no change.

the site.

Cheers,

David
    ShareCG Admin

This is good, but not unexpected, news. I also noticed that the Donation to freebie providers option is back up today. = )

Yeah...but it's not like I ever missed it...I'd probably fall over if someone ever actually used mine.

edited September 2012

mjc1016 said:

Yeah...but it's not like I ever missed it...I'd probably fall over if someone ever actually used mine.

I got an unexpected bonus when the program was previously shut down (due to abuse apparently). It wasn't a great amount, but I truly appreciated that someone took the time to acknowledge my efforts. I was truly not expecting anything--after all, I posted them as freebies--but it really felt good to get it.

Post edited by LmWolfSpirit on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

I got an unexpected bonus when the program was previously shut down (due to abuse apparently). It wasn't a great amount, but I truly appreciated that someone took the time to acknowledge my efforts. I was truly not expecting anything--after all, I posted them as freebies--but it really felt good to get it.

Yeah, mine was about $7. Quite a surprise.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

I never noticed the "Would you like to receive donations through PayPal?" (why yes I would,thank you!) check box in the account info section, but thanks to to the above statement I just did!

But it doesn't work!.... All I get is "This email already in used by another user." when I click "submit"....

Nothing EVER works ANYWHERE...

sigh.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I never noticed the "Would you like to receive donations through PayPal?" (why yes I would,thank you!) check box in the account info section, but thanks to to the above statement I just did!

But it doesn't work!.... All I get is "This email already in used by another user." when I click "submit"....

sigh.

Mine works!!

I was most surprised about a month ago to suddenly get a payment!:-)

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

sigh.

Maybe you already clicked it in the past and forgot about it? PayPal uses your email address of your account as an account number. If someone else used your email address, it wouldn't help them, you'd get their money. That is, if you have a personal account at PayPal in the first place.

Dana

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:

True about the password manager (the ones that do usernames), it would save a ton of nuisance (along with a password generator).

If I find free ones, I'll set 'em up. .

To tell the truth, I haven't tried this one yet, so I have no idea if it has a generator, but I suggest you check this out:
    http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/keepass_portable

Completely OT: I urge everyone to check out this site if you haven't yet. Portable Apps has a great collection of 100% free programs for just about anything on Earth you may need, and the "PortableApps suite" is a handy interface to keep them organised and updated. Including Blender Portable, Inkscape Portable, etc etc. Great for those who have to jump between computers a lot!

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited September 2012

T Jaiman said:

True about the password manager (the ones that do usernames), it would save a ton of nuisance (along with a password generator).

If I find free ones, I'll set 'em up. .

To tell the truth, I haven't tried this one yet, so I have no idea if it has a generator, but I suggest you check this out:
    http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/keepass_portable

Completely OT: I urge everyone to check out this site if you haven't yet. Portable Apps has a great collection of 100% free programs for just about anything on Earth you may need, and the "PortableApps suite" is a handy interface to keep them organised and updated. Including Blender Portable, Inkscape Portable, etc etc. Great for those who have to jump between computers a lot!

Hey, thanks! I'll check that out.

Man, I just got back in. Had to do the cache and cookies thing, in Firefox.

If I hadn't got a topic reply email, I wouldn't have tried IE...

Pays to go multibrowser...

Post edited by T Jaiman on
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

Maybe you already clicked it in the past and forgot about it? PayPal uses your email address of your account as an account number. If someone else used your email address, it wouldn't help them, you'd get their money. That is, if you have a personal account at PayPal in the first place.

Dana

Nope, I never did... it seems to be hanging on my email... That is not the first time I have had this happen... don't know if was SCG or another site and I don't know if/how it was resolved.

• chikako_8af55a8a68chikako_8af55a8a68 Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

Id really like to see them charge for accounts.

I have had to visit ShareCG in the past because some thieves were posting Meshbox models there. Dave was good about pulling them, and the community was cool about it too. It is hard to use a credit card and maintain the anonymity needed for piracy.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2012

Charging freebie makers to post their freebies... I don't think so.

Charging people will NOT stop piracy. It's called piracy because they're stealing, money has nothing to do with it, if people want to rip off or illegally distribute or even sell, putting a price on the item will NOT deter them, in some cases it actually makes them MORE determined.

I would be selling my items if the website charged me to post it.

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

I just took look and saw you KNOW who rates your uploads and how many stars!
    I embarrasingly accidently touched the one star on my android on someone's model a few weeks ago while browsing so now they will think I downrated them :red:

edited December 1969

Yeah, I never like the way that thing works... it happened to me twice in the beginning... I left the artist a message apologizing. People have also done it to me too and left me a note about it... no biggie, I think the thing it too sensitive.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

esp on a 7" touchscreen!
    might have even been you, or Ivy or PapaSmrfe, someone I follow, went there by email, cannot remember if I posted a comment, I don't think I downloaded anything, just rated accidently!

• DoricDoric Posts: 80
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:

Charging people will NOT stop piracy. It's called piracy because they're stealing, money has nothing to do with it, if people want to rip off or illegally distribute or even sell, putting a price on the item will NOT deter them, in some cases it actually makes them MORE determined.

Good Lord,people! Please read! Right at the top of page 7 of this thread, it states, and from David, if you don't want to pay, there will be NO CHANGE. If you want the ads to go away, then fork over the ten bucks. How difficult is that to read and understand?

D.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm just waiting on Monday, as a user of ShareCG I will get the full story as all Uploaders will on that day. So if your last letter hit your JUNK mail folder You might want to think about that on Monday.

I for one will support the site no matter what is decided. It was home when I first started and just wanted to experiment with this FREE stuff (yes my DS was free then as well). I soon fell in love with 3D and ShareCG was and still is one content provider that keeps me going back for more. When I need a item I just can not find on a BUY site I check them. Most of the time I find the item, and a VERY high quality item at that. They will have my support.

edited December 1969

So... Did anyone see anything different today? No, I mean at ShareCG, not when you looked out the back window this morning and saw the old guy next door dancing naked with his cat... I know he usually just frolics naked with the squirrels and hardly ever dances with his cat, but that is a separate matter...
    I did not see anything different at SCG... just wondering...

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think it will be a while before we see any changes.

edited December 1969

Doric said:
    Spyro said:

Good Lord,people! Please read! Right at the top of page 7 of this thread, it states, and from David, if you don't want to pay, there will be NO CHANGE. If you want the ads to go away, then fork over the ten bucks. How difficult is that to read and understand?

D.

It was only general discussion... I'm well aware of that Doric.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I was expecting mail today. None so far. Maybe I'll check the Blog.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

So... Did anyone see anything different today? No, I mean at ShareCG, not when you looked out the back window this morning and saw the old guy next door dancing naked with his cat... I know he usually just frolics naked with the squirrels and hardly ever dances with his cat, but that is a separate matter...
    I did not see anything different at SCG... just wondering...

So that's why my squirrel hasn't been around lately.

• DoricDoric Posts: 80
    edited December 1969

The update is posted on ShareCG now. At least take the time to read it.

D.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Looks like a 'tiered service'...

The free service gets you ads and limited room for expansion of other services.

Subscribe and get ad-free, new features and a slot in the store...

Do so before the end of the year and 'lock in' your annual rate...

I can live with that.

edited December 1969

Me, too! Especially with the opening of a new market (always welcome, but most particularly when it already comes with a name that is known by most 3d artists).

• chikako_8af55a8a68chikako_8af55a8a68 Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:

Charging contributors will deter pirates since pirates thrive on anonymity. You cannot maintain anonymity if someone has access to your credit card or knows your paypal account. Money leaves a paper trail.

The availability of free, mostly anonymous services (which is hard not to love) is the reason why piracy has become such a problem.

I don't distribute free stuff on ShareCG. I can do that myself. However, if they came up with a useful share program targeted at legitimate vendors, Id give it a look.

edited October 2012

Oh your talking of a different form of piracy. My mistake. The piracy I was talking about was moreso the ones who distribute digital products often the bought ones. But yeah in that regard perhaps it would deter people submitting your work on freebie sites but I don't believe that is the issue here. Posting stolen work on a freebie site as a freebie product is not really the core of piracy in 3d. It's the people that get hold of products off the market that are not free and distributing it on the web often in forums. You just need to search the title of an item and you'll see how bad it is. That kind of piracy is what's hurting the industry. The pirates aren't likely to go where the legit kids like all of us here hangs out. It a black market the same as film piracy.

Anyway So you've gotto ask yourself in a free product vendor pov ... Is it really worth giving all your hard work away as freebies when you get charged to upload them? The free items I make are for my learning and to share with the community. I don't want to have to pay to give away my work especially work that isn't intended for any profit. Such a implemented cost on freebie makers would certainly have alot of them finding a place elsewhere which would cripple sharecg. I think it would be an unwise move, I wouldn't like to find out how many up loaders would actually leave if that happened.

This is my opinion, it has nothing to do with what sharecg has proposed as that is a good membership deal. This is about the theory proposed in this thread about the vendors having to pay to upload.

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

Lol an when I say vendors I'm talking about freebie makers haha just easier to type on a iPhone :P

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Team Pay The Darn $10 Here. That's a drop in the bucket for a year of no ads and insuring the site continues to exist. Here's why I'm going to do it instead of just going to Rendo with everything (some things will certainly go up at Rendo).

Rendo freestuff has a long lag time. It can take 48 hours to get an item approved, and they're not even testing it. ShareCG items are up immediately.

ShareCG has a wonderful archive and attracts enthusiasts of history, niche sci fi, etc. Last week I needed a good revolver for a render. I discovered that my options were to pay $10 or more for an item that wasn't made for Genesis and/or would require materials adjustment, or try to find a freebie. A search for "gun" on ShareCG find several results instantly, some from history lovers whose models are nice and detailed even if their shaders aren't very good.

It's a much better option than paying money for something less accurate and detailed that still requires work on my part. I'd hate to lose that resource.