Help for Others who have bought DAZ zip files!

edited December 1969 in The Commons

If you bought DAZ products in ZIP format (for PC) as I did, be aware they HAVE NO EXTENSION on them. But don't panic, just RENAME and: add a ".zip" to the end of the file,

THEN unzip and you may AGAIN have a file with NO extension! Again, don't panic, just add another ".zip" to the file and it will NOW unzip properly!!

I had found this once before, and my friend said she found this on one of her items today too. Good thing she reminded me!

What a royal mess, especially for me, being dyslexic, to have all these duplicate file names, to have to keep adding the extension, unzipping, repeat, etc... and finally get the poser files into my own temp Poser runtime, so I can then sort out the contents. (remove any ds files) before the lot goes into my actual poser.

I just hope this helps others that may be new to this format that some of the products are still in (I guess from the short lived conversion to zip from exe time at DAZ). Thank goodness they STOPPED this conversion, or all the products would be this messy. :(

I am rarely here, I only came for the big sale, to get the items I truly needed for my POSER runtime...and get Howie's great Carrara scene sets.

Bye.

PS that pdf file in our downloads named "how to use zip files" has NOTHING to do with this problem, I checked.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

Do you have Windows configured to hide file extensions? All the zips I've downloaded have their extensions.

• edited December 1969

No of course not. I have used win forever, and I do know what I am doing...(hence my being able to fix the files!) Not all the ZIP files are like this, but a few are! Morphia, Cherry Blossom for V4, and the Grimm texture set for that dress - those are the current zips that have had no extension- I should clarify! - the files in downloads SAY ZIP, but once you download them to your machine, they have no extension! Just like many of the exe's - the files you are actually downloading are not named exactly as they are listed in Available Downloads.

Just something to be aware of.

• KageRyuKageRyu Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I am usually the first to complain or second a complaint (really just ask any of the mods), but in honesty, among all the problems I have been having with the sotre and downloads, this is not among them. All the Zips have the .zip extension, as do all the EXE's, always have. Lately they don't always work, or show up in downloads, or allow me to download... but when they do show up and let me download they always have the .zip. I have used a number of browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera)...some browsers may require you to adjust settings to properly save the file extension (I have seen that... or had a browser download dialog insist a zip file was and ascii stream and try to open it instead).

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Switch from IE to a different browser and that problem goes away.

• edited December 1969

I just redownloaded "Masquerade Fantasy" - a texture set for the FantasyCollarPak & there was no extension on it. I added the zip extension, unzipped it & what was inside also had no extension, so I added the zip & unzipped it. This is exactly what Lyne described. A product I redownloaded earlier, sorry, I don't recall which, had exactly the same problem. I have had no other problems using IE & I don't plan on changing because of this.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Shawn said:
    I just redownloaded "Masquerade Fantasy" - a texture set for the FantasyCollarPak & there was no extension on it. I added the zip extension, unzipped it & what was inside also had no extension, so I added the zip & unzipped it. This is exactly what Lyne described. A product I redownloaded earlier, sorry, I don't recall which, had exactly the same problem. I have had no other problems using IE & I don't plan on changing because of this.

you unzipped, and then had to unzip what was inside the zip, this sounds as though you are downloading the mac version.

Products which come in a cross platform zip don't have a zip inside a zip, or at least none of the ones I have come across have,
  • randym77randym77 Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

I have not had any problems with missing extensions. My zip files all end in .zip.

But they aren't available for all products. (Unfortunately - I much prefer zip files to those tedious installers.) Many of them have zips for Macs only.

• edited December 1969

Hello chohole - Thanks for helping. Here is a compilation of screen captures I hope will help.

No_ZIP.jpg
    800 x 454 - 58K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

This is very strange, can you file a support ticket, to point it out to those that should know. I am not quite certain whether that should be Tech Support or Sales, but I would think probably Tech Support. THanks

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

Very strange, I just reset and downloaded that product and got a zip with the extension, using Firefox 15.0.1. What browser are you using?

• KageRyuKageRyu Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ascania said:
    Switch from IE to a different browser and that problem goes away.

If this was to the OP, the missing extension is not a problem specific to IE, though it has happened a lot with Windows in General if the setting to hide extensions for known filetypes is turned on.

If it was refering to some of the problems I mentioned - switching browsers does not fix any of them. They pop up in both I.E. and firefox, though not always at the same time and not all them time (it cycles through different problems). I feel having to play musical browsers to download files is ridiculous, personally, and the problems need to be fixed so any user or customer can download the content with their choice of browser.