.DSF Toolbox... what does it do?

RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
edited September 2012 in The Commons

I mean, I can read the description but it only seems slightly helpful YET I have heard people SWEAR they love it and it helped tremendously but they don't seem to go into detail.

Anything that makes morph making easier I am all for.

Can anyone help me get an understanding of what it will help me do?

How has it helped you?

What are some special situations where it is particularly helpful?

What are some neat tricks you have learned to do with it?

Post edited by RKane_1 on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Basically, from what I gather, if you are a content creator/obsessive tinkerer, then its worth it.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I have heard that... but what MAKES it such an awesome thing?

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

RKane_1 said:
    Yeah, I have heard that... but what MAKES it such an awesome thing?

I bought it as part of this sale today; my reason is this:

Clone to Morph conversion.

So D|S has a Kids4 clone morph that's used for Auto Fit conversion. There are several K4 characters out there that are very cute, and would go great in some of my renders, especially ones for my own kids. I have GenX, and Kids4, but I can't GenX a K4 morph and apply it to Genesis, because there isn't a K4 morph for Genesis to base it on. (There is a V4, M4, etc., morph, so it's easy for those... You bring up a stock Genesis, dial in 100% V4, then dial in 100% of the GenX'ed morph of some character like Ksenia or Tommi, and you've got the character look.)

However, the DSF Toolbox has the ability to create a K4 morph from the K4 Clone auto-fit target, so I can GenX K4-based characters, and then apply those morphs to Genesis with the K4 morph applied.

There's a lot of other tools, but that's the one that sold it for me. That's crazy complex sounding, but it makes more sense in the actual flow.

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

Wait, so you can basically get K4 for Genesis out of it.... um...sold....

What else can it do?

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    I'm not an expert on it, so I don't know what else it can do offhand, but it's worth noting that even with it, all you can get is the base morph. Most K4 characters are based off of the Morphs++ packages for K4, so you still need a K4 install with that stuff to GenX them.

Attached is a quickie example Clone -> Morph conversion, with the resultant morph dialed in, K4 Sweetheart placed on for reference, Hollie skin, and V5 Elite Ponytail for hair.

-- Morgan

Sample_K4_Clone_Conversion.png
    353 x 500 - 326K
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:

Keep in mind that, using the clone figures as morphs, they cannot be mixed with any other morphs without issues and they don't take genesis poses because they are rigged similarly to K4 rather than genesis, so you'll have to adjust poses.

But it 's good tool for changing groups for lots of morphs, I use it in lieu of the property editor to change groups after the fact.

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited September 2012

RKane_1 said:

Keep in mind that, using the clone figures as morphs, they cannot be mixed with any other morphs without issues

What sort of issues?

and they don't take genesis poses because they are rigged similarly to K4 rather than genesis, so you'll have to adjust poses.

I'd be most interested in Gen-X'ing the head morphs, and using a more plausibly proportioned body. I suppose, though, expressions would be a pain to deal with?

Thing is, the facial proportions might need to be changed for plausibility. Would that be feasable?

Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:

What sort of issues?

Clones weren't made for mixing body shapes with other genesis morphs, so you'll something that looks like double lines of detail in the torso regions. Clones are replicas of the gen4 shapes, the shapes themselves are made for mixing.

edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:

What sort of issues?

Clones weren't made for mixing body shapes with other genesis morphs, so you'll something that looks like double lines of detail in the torso regions. Clones are replicas of the gen4 shapes, the shapes themselves are made for mixing.

Thanks. That could be a significant issue. Just the torso?

edited December 1969

So... what does it do again?

Can anyone tell me what they have used it for and how it helped them, specifically?

Can anyone outline some of the more helpful features?

:/

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Yes, I'm kind of confused as well.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Has D/S4 and D/S4.5 installers.

edited December 1969

?

Okay.. and when you install it, it does...what exactly for you?

edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    ?

Install it? hehehe ... too busy shopping lol ... :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

*chuckle* Yeah... *sigh* I went a widdle over budget....

Must find a place to hide that credit card statement until I have it paid off...

Does my wife family really NEEEED Christmas present this year? I mean, we gave some to 'em just last year, right?

edited December 1969

Might be a good idea to get some "cards" and "notepapers" and so forth printed up as "gifts" eh?! Can make good use of the goodies bought!

edited December 1969

Hmmm... staunchly conservative military family I married into who is a little put-off by the "hippie artist" their daughter married.

Yeah...

And when I say "hippie" that means I listen to alternative rock... you, know.... "hippie" *sigh*

*chuckle*

Grandma LOVES me though!

edited September 2012

LOL!

RKane_1 said:
    ?

I'm not sure, I bought it yesterday. :)

It does some things you could do with CCT, but they'd be easier/faster with the toolbox. (And he wrote it before Pro became free).

This looks like the thread where they dissected its abilities and uses pretty well.
    GenX Update and DSF Toolbox Page 2

I'm way too sleepy to go through it. :shut:

I gave you pg. 2, because that's where the goodness starts. (The 1st post probably repeats the store description).
    Doesn't take long to get sidetracked, of course, but I think it gets back to relevant discussion.

Me, I'm mainly in it to see how far I can get with K4 head morphs. Got enough of them...

If I use the other stuff, then that's gravy.

Post edited by T Jaiman on