Genesis Morphing Business Suit Now in store [Commercial]

Comments

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

I'm having a ton of fun with the suit, it adds a bit of class to the character. Some excellent morph there.

Snazzy! How did you get the pantslegs to stay down over the S-Goat's ankles?!? I couldn't get it to do that.
    I made up a morph only trouble is don't bend the foot or it goes through the pants but you can bend the knee and thigh no problems.
    It's times like this Zbrush really comes in handy.
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

FYI, you can also create a geometric shell to Genesis and have it suitably extended to go over the difficult areas, collide the suit parts against it instead of Genesis.

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

I'm having a ton of fun with the suit, it adds a bit of class to the character. Some excellent morph there.

This is so great I had to to go and buy the goat!

edited December 1969

I've just set up a Dropbox link for the morphs it's only for the pants and jacket.
    But they would just sit around and do nothing in my data directory.
    So someone might find a use for it, and like I said don't bend the foot or it goes through the lower pants
    Just unzip to your content dir and it's will follow the Sabbatic Goat automatically

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e1pruenuydn4t5/Sabbatic-Goat-Suit-Morphs.zip

SG-Suit.jpg
    1218 x 1207 - 396K
    edited December 1969

That's great midnight_stories. I'm grabbing them now. Why not post your image of the suited goat and a link to your morphs in the sale thread where the other suit and goat buyers will see it.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

OK, I've bought, installed and looled at the sets in action in DS4.5, now. Really excellent work and quality other than the two issues I mentioned. Unfortunately disability since 2008 means I can rarely visit the forums these days, and when I can it's not for long, so I don't see most topics now, unlike back in 2004-2008 when I was reading and posting all the time. I really wish I'd seen this thread and been able to post in it while the suit was still in the development phase. Unfortunately I didn't see this thread until looking for one after looking at the product promos yesterday when the suit items appeared in the store. I did read through the 21 pages (as it was then) before my first post, and noted Marieah's and Sickleyield's statements that they wanted this to be the ultimate male suit package for Genesis, and that it was very specifically male in design, not unisex or female, despite the female shape fitting morphs.

Now I've got the suit in program and played, I can be more specific about the mistake in the jacket. I'm not saying this to be nitpicky, but because the suit is so excellent otherwise that the fact that there's an error in a few of the morphs really leaps out and is a great pity.

The problem with the jacket is not with the base jacket at all, just some of the morphs which actually contradict the base jacket and another morph.

In the earlier posts in the thread, it was clear that Marieah and SY know that there is a 'male' pattern for buttons on jackets, shirts and waistcoats - the male pattern being that with the shirt, waistcoat or jacket open, the buttons are on the right side (the wearer's right) and the buttonholes on the left. The shirt is fine - buttons on the right when opened, and the left edge over the right edge with the buttons sitting on top when closed. So is the waistcoat.

The default jacket, unmorphed is closed, with both buttons done up, And it is correct for a male jacket. the left edge is over the right edge (all left and right from the wearer's pov), and the buttons are sitting on top of the left side of the jacket - not because the real ones would be attached to the left side, but because they are attached to the right and pushed through the buttonholes on the left side. So far so good.

The One Button morphs are also correct. They undo just the bottom button, with the two sides of the front of the jacket pulling apart. And quite correctly the undone bottom button stays in place on the RIGHT side of the jacket, as that's the side the real one would be fixed to.(And I'm glad about that, because with a two button single-breasted jacket like this, a gentlemen will only ever do up the top button, never both. Having both buttons done up is a gauche faux pas, like Grant ordering red wine with fish in From Russia With Love that tips Bond off he's not really an English gentleman, but actually rather more than that. One only does up both buttons on a double-breasted jacket.)

But ALL the open morphs that have the jacket completely open, both buttons, are wrong. They all have the buttons sticking to the left side of the suit instead of the right side they should be fixed to. That's not only something you only see on ladies' jackets, but it actually contradicts the way the jacket and buttons are when the jacket is closed or one button open. Really - load the jacket, look at the front unmorphed, how the left goes over the right with the buttons on top so the buttons must be fixed (in the real suit) to the right side. Dial in the One button morph and see how the bottom button stays on the right side (the suit/wearer's right). Now dial in any of the open morphs and see how the bottom button this time stays on the left side, as does the top button.

So, there was no mistake in making this a male jacket in the base model. It is quite correct. And there wasn't a mistake in the one button morph - the bottom button stays on the correct male side. But SY slipped upp when making the completely open morphs, keeping the buttons on the wrong side of the jacket just for those morphs, and the opposite of what she's done on the one button morph.

I can certainly fix the jacket open morphs myself, altering the morphs so the buttons stay on the right side as they should. But this package is so good in every other way, i really hope SY will, when she gets back from holiday, fix those morphs herself in the actual package (and then the promos, where all the ones with the jacket open prominently feature the buttons on the wrong side, unfortunately).

(As I say, even anyone who knows nothing about there being male and female sides for buttons should be able to see that with the One Button morph the bottom button stays on the right side, but on the open morphs stays on the left, which clearly isn't possible with a real jacket.)

The other issue, of course is the belt, which is fastened round the waist the female way (buckle on the right, tip to the right of the buckle when done up) rather than the male way (buckle on the left, tip to the left of the buckle when done up). For a man to have the belt the female way, while better for left handed people, is awkward for right-handers, a real no-no for anyone with pretensions of being a gentleman, and would actually get him into trouble in e.g. the US or UK militaries if done in uniform.

Sadly, i've tried my own suggestion of applying a -100% x-scale and it's really not ideal. It no longer fits the trousers properly even just with everything else at deafult (other than having M5 dialled on the wearing Genesis), and e.g. the unbuckle and undress morphs really don't match the trouser morphs (On Undress1 the inverted belt and trousers tilt in opposite directions). Is it fudgeable with scaling, translating, rotating, magneting etc - yes. But it will be a pain, and does let down the quality of everything else. I really, really hope SY will update the pack with a male worn belt in place of this female worn one.

You know ... given that the morphs, mesh and UVs are just sets of numbers, it really ought to be possible to make a script that simply generates a mirror clothing item, eveything just reflected left to right, mesh, morphs and UVs, to produce a male-worn belt from the current one with a click on the script. Pity I'm not a scripter.

edited September 2012

Thank you for your considered comments David.

I know SickleYield did the morphs the way she did for good reasons. She's having a well earned break and I doubt she can respond until she's back on deck.

We did try to make the ultimate suit package, but that doesn't mean it's perfect. I hope your issues don't adversely impact your enjoyment of the product too much.

Post edited by Marieah on
  • zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

DavidGB said:

You know ... given that the morphs, mesh and UVs are just sets of numbers, it really ought to be possible to make a script that simply generates a mirror clothing item, eveything just reflected left to right, mesh, morphs and UVs, to produce a male-worn belt from the current one with a click on the script. Pity I'm not a scripter.

There is a script that does this at Rendo -- Content Mirror-- but I don't know if it would work on Genesis clothes (I don't think it would). Still, it might be possible to use it to get most of the way there. You'd need to rig the belt for M4, use the script to flip it, then auto-convert to Genesis. Except that you'd lose all the morphs that way... Argh.

Well, D3D, creator of Content Mirror, is a vendor here at DAZ now, and has created Genesis-compatible scripts (GenX), so I'd suggest writing to him and asking if he could update Content Mirror for Genesis. I can think of lots of uses for such a script.

I don't know about how the undressing morphs would work, though....

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

My humble offering, "these two goombas in monkey suits nailed me in an alley ..."

Monkey_Suit.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 1M
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    My humble offering, "these two goombas in monkey suits nailed me in an alley ..."

This really cracked me up! Great idea and great render.

I hope the suit is living up to your expectations now you finally have your hands on it.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

DavidGB said:

The other issue, of course is the belt, which is fastened round the waist the female way (buckle on the right, tip to the right of the buckle when done up) rather than the male way (buckle on the left, tip to the left of the buckle when done up). For a man to have the belt the female way, while better for left handed people, is awkward for right-handers, a real no-no for anyone with pretensions of being a gentleman, and would actually get him into trouble in e.g. the US or UK militaries if done in uniform.

This is interesting. I've never heard of different orientation for the belt based on the wearer's gender. I did read, years ago, that there was a difference based on handedness, which you do mention. I also noticed that I have my belt on the female/southpaw way, but I'm not really left-handed (I'm really ambidextrous, so maybe it doesn't matter). Then again, I'm no gentleman, either.

edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    SimonJM said:

I hope the suit is living up to your expectations now you finally have your hands on it.

You're welcome - it was such an obvious (to my demented mind anyway!) that I was hoping no-one else would get there first! If you look really, really hard you might spot the gorilla on the left is sporting a bow tie.

The set is pretty darned good - only 'grump' is that the ShirtReMap does not seem to be linked to the smart content materials. Judging by how simple it was to get a good fit and decent lie on a gorilla this is going to be a standard for a lot of my stuff! Thank you both for the work put in, it's going to take ages to play with all the dials on offer - I feel like a Bond Villian ;)

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:

*Gasp* It's the planet of the apes all over again!

Good job, Simon!

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    SimonJM said:

I haven't even played with the suit yet and it's already living to my expectations! :D

I bought it, though! I will post a render soon. ;)

edited December 1969

I finally got the scene set up and then I mucked up some settings. I fixed those, and then it turned out that I had mucked up more. *argh* So, I think third time's the charm... Coming soon: Hell, Inc.

edited December 1969

I'm still downloading, but I was wondering if the shaders that come with the suit (I bought the bundle) will work on other things too?

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited September 2012

I played with the suit a little bit before DS4 blew up on me again, and I have to say, it is a really impressive piece of work. Bravo to Marieah and SickleYield!

Post edited by Odaa on
    edited December 1969

riftwitch said:
    I'm still downloading, but I was wondering if the shaders that come with the suit (I bought the bundle) will work on other things too?

The set has material presets rather than shaders, so the answer is no. But there are lots of similar and even better things to use on it in my shader products.

edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    riftwitch said:

The set has material presets rather than shaders, so the answer is no. But there are lots of similar and even better things to use on it in my shader products.

Thanks. I also picked up fabricator, totally bazaar, furify, and leatherizer, so I should be good for a while. I really like the work you've put into your products.

edited December 1969

Oho! That gives me a second idea for something to do with the suit, and it is one that might leave people salivating, too. Once this render finishes, I'll do that, since it is a rather quickie one...

edited December 1969

This might be a bit big, so it might end up being a link instead ...
    Yup, it's going to be a link

edited December 1969

All righty. This is it, it is not perfect, I'm not happy with the lights and shadows, but I need to seriously rethink everything if I want to make it any better than this.

------------------------------------------------

If you have been working in corporate world long enough, and in different places, there are always these archetypes that seem to repeat themselves...

A meeting which goes on and on and on and on and there's no escape...

A raging (idiot) boss, who has massaged the numbers of his own work to look better, and who hoists all blame on you...

A lazy **** of a co-worker who is watching for any opportunity of proving your own slip, in order to boost their own work and hide their failures due to slacking...

Someone who has quietly submitted to their fate and is trying to endure 'till the end of meeting, constantly refilling their mug of tea or coffee...

That poor sap who just wants this thing to be over and done with, and whose body language screams that murder is always an option if they snap...

Someone who is going for an extended vacation or leave for one reason or another, and who is trying to train a replacement while in a meeting, and also getting frantic messages from the newbie who is picking up the load and who can't find their butt with two hands, map, flashlight, compass and Scout Troop...

That aggravating ****er who doesn't give a **** about the meeting itself, makes sure everyone knows it, and is there solely to mump on good stuff, and actually has eaten all good food before everyone else has had a chance to even get a crumb and leaves behind the ***tty cookies no one wants to touch...

The-all-business-like person who is working like a bull, and who just wants to get back to their project, now, because his time is more valuable than this...

Well. Hell, Inc. was no different than those other big corporations.

However, all six silently fumed and vowed to find whoever was responsible for PowerPoint representations, and then they'd make that mortal suffer like no one had suffered before.

In a way, they were very much like us in that regard, too.

Infernal_Meeting.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 472K
    edited December 1969

Love the look of this so funny, can't wait to see the full version with shadows ect...

edited December 1969

Might take a while, right now I'm kind of sick of working on this scene on account of having to constantly fiddle with it. :down: And I still can't seem to get the lights and shadows right. Gotta relax brain with other things now.

edited December 1969

Just to prove that I'm not a complete dingus with light and shadow, here's an another one.

I can't post the one I intended to post, which is actually a variant of this one, but once I got my problem stabbed, I will post a second version of it. It'll be all clear then.

Fog added in postwork. Everything else as is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Supervillains would do well to remember that even if Storm is not on duty, she is quite willing and capable of switching back to duty in a blink of an eye, fancy business clothes or not. This would spare them a world of hurt.

Storm.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 377K
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Alas, if only the sale lasted one more week. Still, this looks like it's an exceptional product that's worth it at full price.

edited December 1969

Simon, your Western vibe of the suit is very creative - I would never have thought to do that.

Skiriki, I know those office types too well. Your render is very amusing.

But I really love your second render. It has such drama and I see you've used Furify on the Jacket.

edited December 1969

Soon as I saw it I thought of storm Excellent !

edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    Skiriki, I know those office types too well. Your render is very amusing.

But I really love your second render. It has such drama and I see you've used Furify on the Jacket.

Yep! Brown mink, to be exact about it.

And midnight_stories, I used your blue moonlight from your Sabbatic Goat set for this one, worked perrrrrrfectly.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

I'm glad people are having fun with this. :)