GET DAZ STUDIO 4.5! See why you should do it today!

Comments

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,088
    edited December 1969

gw3972 said:
    inquire said:
    gw3972 said:
    inquire said:
    I'm using the Macintosh OS 10.8.1, with DAZStudio4.5Pro (not the beta version). All is working pretty well. I'm wondering about the new Mac update to 10.8.2. Is anyone using that? I'd hate to get DS messed up in any way. Any Mac user out there with 10.8.2 and DS4.5Pro?

I upgraded to 10.8.2 yesterday and just ran a quick test. DS crashed on loading an existing scene after it reached 100% loaded in the progress box.

I'll do some more testing and try to get back to you.

OOPS!! Well, I hope that was just a fluke. But, yes, please do get back to me. Meanwhile, the Combo update will sit on my desktop.

OK, I've opened, or tried to open, over a dozen existing scenes now. Two of them crashed DS, the others loaded OK (albeit with a scary clock cursor in some cases!). Those that opened OK, rendered OK.

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Any other DS problems? Bringing figures in? Loading mats or clothing? I'm guessing you checked the HD, repaired permissions, etc., right?

Also, if I may ask, did you use the Combo update, or did you update via the App Store notification?

• gw3972gw3972 Posts: 50
    edited December 1969

I did all the stuff you're supposed to do when upgrading.

I upgraded from 10.6.8 directly to 10.8.2 and am still getting over the shock...

edited December 1969

gw3972 said:
    I did all the stuff you're supposed to do when upgrading.

I upgraded from 10.6.8 directly to 10.8.2 and am still getting over the shock...

Oh, well I hope most of the shock is pleasant. Thanks for letting me know all of this.

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered extensively, but I have been absent from the forums since the end of May and reading through some 60+ pages becomes very time consuming.

I noticed back in the early part of this discussion that the topic of preserving your categories when upgrading to 4.5 was covered. I was confused because the arrow in the example posted on page 7 by DAZ_Spooky points to an area between "Export User Data" and "Re-import Metadata." The instructions were:

Install the Software before you install the content.
    Run DS, but don’t import Metadata.
    SAVE your user metadata.
    Shut down DS and install the new content.
    Start DS and check the boxes to import the metadata, to include the USER metadata and allow the user metadata to overwrite. (Check box at the bottom.)

I am assuming "import the metadata" in the last sentence refers to "Re-Import Metadata" option.

Then someone asked if they should export (not exactly sure what)? If I upgrade fro9m D|S 4.0 to 4.5, do I need to first export my User Data from 4.0??

edited December 1969

BOY, I WISH I COULD TELL YOU. I don't think anyone's ignoring you. The metadata has never worked correctly for me. I do see the Shaping content as well as the Surfaces on the left. I don't get anything on the tap that talks about "finding your files." I just uninstalled the Genesis parts that they told us to uninstall. Then, I installed the new Genesis Essentials. Then, I installed the DS4.5Pro update. I also reinstalled a lot of the Genesis content which had been reupdated.

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

I thought you had to install the software first and then the content??

• magicweavermagicweaver Posts: 244
    edited December 1969

Yes ya'll thank you for your help, problem is solved, had to go into reg edit and clear out all of daz3d studio and components and reinstall everything, seems it was trying to update and some things weren't getting into the program so I just reinstalled the updated 4 then installed the 4.5 and it fixed all the boo boos, thank you so much daz I love 4.5 and genisis, the tools are marvy the utilities rock, I hope when you get all the stink bugs worked out you don't start taking things away as it updates (ie...any tools or utilities) to make us have to buy them because I am just having so darn much fun with them and I'm learning more easily with the vid tuts, my dyslexia keeps me from learning with read tutorials, it becomes to frusterating when you have to read something a thousand times to get it, very time consuming so, I absolutly love the videos, incidently why does everyone stop the tuts and the end of creation, I need to know how to save things and what to save them as...such as...I make a ring and its all shiny and gorgeous do I save it as a wavefront obj or a character preset or a wearable preset, saving is so confusing, I never know what to save textures as after I make them, or saving shaders so I can use them again, well anyway thats the only fuss I am having with the new daz studio. I absolutly adore it, thank you so very much for all the amazing content it comes with *hip hip horray, hip hip horray, hip hip horray!!!!! big hugmongeous monster hugs for all at daz*

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:

Thats how I did it.

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:

Well, I did it the way I told you. I'm on a Macintosh, by the way. Worked for me. I was upgrading from 4.xPro.

edited December 1969

Just wanted to get back to report on the Mac OS 10.8.2, the latest. I applied the Combo Update, and DAZStudio4.5Pro, not the Beta version, is working fine with it. So, just in case there are any other Macintosh users out there wondering.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited September 2012

This is a bit OT but there has been talked about LDp2 being missed I thought the same way until I started rendering some sets with Lux that I had with LDP2 and it does not take much longer. Buildings with LDP2 http://fav.me/d514d21 Luxrender http://fav.me/d5g5j78

I dont think the LDP2 looks bad I just think the lux version reflects better detail..

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...Lux is great for a photographic look.

I still prefer LDP for a more personal touch.

edited September 2012

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...Lux is great for a photographic look.

I still prefer LDP for a more personal touch.

I know you do but im over it which is why I no longer have 3 installed for a while now.. I had alot of stuff that I was pleased with rendered in LDP2 fans are still favoring them to this day.. I am really enjoying the luxrender I am glad I got the hang of it. I had a catastrophic failure with it my 1st go when it came out. Took me getting more experience with 3deeing in general to understand what I was doing.. I am putting my commission earnings aside to build a monster tower next summer. Notebooks are fun but they overheat so easily especially using Lux I am rendering so much more of the time..

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

...I actually have Reality/Lux and while I like the fact you can suspend and continue a render it is just too "geeky" for me. I totally understand where LDP and SLP are coming from as I worked in theatrical lighting for many years.

edited September 2012

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I actually have Reality/Lux and while I like the fact you can suspend and continue a render it is just too "geeky" for me. I totally understand where LDP and SLP are coming from as I worked in theatrical lighting for many years.

Also I LOVE the lighting adjust on the fly / film responses being able to start up 4 to 5 renders queue them up and let err rip. We go back you & I. You used to see my LDP stuff all the time when I posted it in Realistic Renders not... I actually got to "know" Jammiwolf......

UE also cannot give me what I get out of lux. I tested a UE render earlier it seemed to have improved whereas there is less blotchiness eliminating the need to crank up the occlusion samples up past its limits which adds to render times...

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • GeorgehazeGeorgehaze Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

Here's a new one:

Since installing DS 4.5, every time that I start it, the dimensions keep defaulting to something listed as "custom" (955 by 449).

I've set the preferences for no scene at all but, every time, it's back to that. In the past, if I set it as Active Viewport, it would stay that way until I changed to something else, even at startup.

Anyone know how to correct this annoyance?

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi...

That's a bug in DS 4.5.0.114 and has been fixed in 4.5.0.137 Beta. There's no real way to stop it from happening when ever you start DS except to switch to the Beta or wait for the next general release.

Hope this helps... :)

edited December 1969

...I no longer do beta (with the exception of videotape format) as I learned my lesson well with Studio3Advanced.. This is going to have to wait until the next stable release (which should be 4.6, but don't quote me on that).

• ArienArien Posts: 192
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    OK... one more Aiko 3 post. I spent the last couple of hours having lots of fun, seriously not kidding, updating this file. Saved out as a new file. This is an OLD freebie. Everyone remember Arien? Well before she broke into the brokerage she was doing freebies with this other dude that's long since left .... This is Freja. A very very comprehensive set he did. I don't think Arien did any textures for it but they were the team to beat back then. Both inspired allot of folks including me.

Sorry for the necroposting, but I just found this.
    Richard, I *did* textures for Freya, they were my very first freebie.

http://www.arien-graphics.com/wp/?p=40

No DS settings, as I couldn't use it back then, but if you want my textures, you can find them there.

And thank you ;)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited September 2012

Arien said:
    RAMWolff said:
    OK... one more Aiko 3 post. I spent the last couple of hours having lots of fun, seriously not kidding, updating this file. Saved out as a new file. This is an OLD freebie. Everyone remember Arien? Well before she broke into the brokerage she was doing freebies with this other dude that's long since left .... This is Freja. A very very comprehensive set he did. I don't think Arien did any textures for it but they were the team to beat back then. Both inspired allot of folks including me.

Sorry for the necroposting, but I just found this.
    Richard, I *did* textures for Freya, they were my very first freebie.

http://www.arien-graphics.com/wp/?p=40

No DS settings, as I couldn't use it back then, but if you want my textures, you can find them there.

And thank you ;)

WOW, these are really fabulous. I might have them but who knows where they are buried! lol Most of this will be easily DS'd, perhaps the metal pieces will remain shaders, I'll have to see! Thanks sweetie! :-)

XOXOXO

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited September 2012

You're welcome. You will probably need masks for the metallic trims over the green velvet, but those are full block metallics as opposed to designs so should be easily doable. let me know if you've managed to fully port it to Genesis, I'll update the shaders to match. These haven't had that many downloads of late, at least not for what I can see in the server logs, but if they start getting hits again I will do it. Remember, Fredrik DID allow redistribution (even commercial!) so we can play with the models more than we would normally be able to with standard licenses.

Post edited by Arien on
    edited December 1969

Ah, totally forgot about that allowance. COOL. Well there is the cape that will be fitted as a long dress but not sure if I'll need to rebone it in the setup area and I've not done that. I shy away from stuff that needs that sort of work but I guess I need to tackle that eventually! lol I actually got turned on to the proper way to fully bring in, texture and export maps from ZBrush yesterday so that will be my main focus today. I want to get a subtools made that I can bring back in time and time again. So it will be about experimentation to see if it works. If so then I'll be able to beat out the issue of working with various UVs like M5, V5 and all the rest. I'm quite excited about this prospect!

edited December 1969

Yeah, that's why I could rework the Wyrm. I think that a lot of the items on Freja, like the dress and cloak, had quite a bit of EasyPose setup. Not sure how you should work that with weight mapping, but could be interesting rigging challenge.

edited December 1969

Hehehe.. yea, I just love a good challenge... well not to much, I'm such a delicate flower you know! :P

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited October 2012

ok...so I have, more or less, been forced to update my DS4.0 TO DS4.5. It is a faster build and it does save in a new format. This has caused some terrible problems for my saved scene files and my characters. When I try to load a character I created (and there are many) I get an error message...it does not load. If I try to load it again, it crashed DS4.5 with a fatal error. That sux, now I have lost all my created characters. With the scene files, it opens a scene, but all the clothes and hair on any Genesis characters is scaled up to exactly 112.9, so I have to go back and rescale everything, then save it to the new format. Very timely. All M5 clothes scale down to exactly 96.4, so I have to scale them back up, then save to the new format.

Any quick fixes for this...any suggeations. Any help would be appreciated. Just no time to go through all these pages looking for this issue.

ok...I feel better, my two cents worth.

:-)

Post edited by music2u4u on
    edited December 1969

I ma having issues too see the 37 beta thread it's garbage....

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    edited December 1969

I and some of my friends would like to know the particulars concerning ubersurface shaders. Is it different from the hss shaders, or is it hss2? If anyone here knows the answer, it would be greatly appreciated by my friends and me.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

I and some of my friends would like to know the particulars concerning ubersurface shaders. Is it different from the hss shaders, or is it hss2? If anyone here knows the answer, it would be greatly appreciated by my friends and me.

http://omnifreaker.com/index.php?title=UberSurface

• hiyashi_yasurohiyashi_yasuro Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

Do I need to download all the 4.5 installers for my content if I install DAZ Studion 4.5?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Do I need to download all the 4.5 installers for my content if I install DAZ Studion 4.5?

There are no "4.5 installers" for content — most content doesn't need to be updated when the program is updated. Genesis is a special case, some early content had mistakes, and some program updates broke things in Genesis, requiring a fix.

The other major exception to this is plugins, which frequently (but not always) need updates when there are major program updates.