Annual PA SALE 2012 Image and discussion thread-- DAY31-- Catch up extended and more

Comments

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Help i need to make a decision between strigoli the acient vampire and ms lycan? Anyone have any thoughts, renders?

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

JOdel said:
    Yes, even ones who don't *ever* seem to go on sale. Woo-hoo!

Yeah! Half my order was folks who don't release new stuff, and don't seem to be around anymore, or go on sale ever, but have been living in my wishlist for months, waiting for me to have extra funds.

I'm ecstatic to get some of those items at half price...

-- Morgan

• cimairacimaira Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ippotamus said:

Yeah, 30 second page loads in the store?
    There's nothing left that I want THAT much, and even if I did it would take me 45 minutes to find out what it actually was in the first place. :)
    I'll check back later.

I know exactly what you mean Ippotamus, I'm averaging at LEAST 30-45 seconds response time, between clicking on an item and actually being taken to the product page. (IF I get to the product page, and not some Magento error page, saying something about not allowing printing???? I wasn't trying to print anything) I'm not sure there is anything I want enough to endure this slow torture.

What a mess :-(

• ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 636
    edited December 1969

That new deviney product was an insta-buy for me, slow store or not. I had to have it.

Anyone else nostalgic for the days when those brushes used to come up in Fastgrab every month or two?

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

Crap! Everything's on sale! (scurries around looking for unused credit cards) Crap! Everything's on sale!!! Minister of Finance walks in with heretofore unused credit card. "Here, put some money on this card so they won't cancel it due to lack of use." *evil grin* :lol:

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

The Sabbatic Goat heads out for a night on the town, hoping to pick up a nice girl....

goat.jpg
    700 x 910 - 252K
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246
    edited December 1969

I can see that the Sabbatic Goat is going to be as popular as the gorilla and the trolls for outfit renders. Can see it now.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,219
    edited December 1969

That new deviney product was an insta-buy for me, slow store or not. I had to have it.

Anyone else nostalgic for the days when those brushes used to come up in Fastgrab every month or two?

Those were some good ole days!

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Or http://www.daz3d.com/shop/holyforest <---- tsarist, are you listening? ;)</div>

Thanks Kerya

Oh yes. I was listening and just launched my attack!

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    Miss B said:
    One question though, Neftis mentions that fibermesh hair "can require a lot of memory during render", and I was wondering how true that is? I have a less than a year old quad core i7 with full hyperthreading on each core and 8GBs of RAM. I don't often render images with a lot of items in it, but when I did recently, one core was totally used. If this hair is that much of a memory hog, I may have to "wait and see".

Can you give me an idea of how long that render took?

you'll be fine, in one of my promos for Shadowkin I used 2 hairs, 2 beards, and eyebrows, all fibermesh and all at the same time. It's not the rendering that takes a long time, that's a lot faster with fibermesh because it doesn't use transparency. It's moving around the viewport that it can hang up on if you don't have enough ram. The trick is to either add the hair last or turn off it's visibility until you're ready to render. My computer is comparable to yours.
    Thanks Fisty. Good to know. ;-)
  • Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited September 2012

EDIT 4:20pm, Mood change, things somehow seem better.

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Miss B said:
    Artini said:
    Sharon hair on Stephanie 5 curvy. Rendered in DS4P with one distant light.
    Click the image to see it enlarged.

Can you give me an idea of how long that render took?

I have rendered that image on the computer with the first generation of i7 cpu (2.8 GHz) and 8 GBs of RAM.
    The rendering time was around 2 minutes. I have also tried UberEnvironment based lights and InaneGlory's area lights,
    but I cancelled the render after 5 minutes, because the render was at about 2% only and I want to show some render quickly.
    Oh OK. I know UE2 lights are pretty resource heavy, and to tell the truth I don't use them often, so I'm glad to hear the rendering was quick w/o them. Fisty already mentioned that Fibermesh hair renders quicker because there's no transparency, and that's a good thing. :-)
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Kevin said:
    SO day 29 is up. Strategy I suggest. Start with Ron's new item then systematically add every PA item in the store to your account.

Well I did start with Ron's new brush set, but then I just systematically added a few more of his brushes that I don't already have. ;)
  • PennamePenname Posts: 343
    edited December 1969

The brushes were a must have - tried them out on some existing renders and wow! - they are going to be awesome. I already use a lot of Ron's brushes, more in my straight photography than 3D and they are all so good. Must go see if I need more ...

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Yes thank you!!! :)

• IndigoneIndigone Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

Why is Mindvision's Kiyoko not on sale, is there a reason?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I thought this should belong here too given nearly all the products are from here from the PA's in the sale, two being new.

After rendering I realised all but two small props are items I got through DAZ3D.
    Building Invetero and rubble from West Park Legacy by Jack Tomalin
    Ostriches by Ken Gilliland
    Ferns from Stonemason’s Enchanted Forest
    Hanging vines form Andrey Pestryakov’s Tropical Cave
    And few of Lisa B’s plants in there too, grasses and vines on the back walls.

Watering_Hole.jpg
    757 x 1050 - 877K
  • griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

Any idea if they'll be extending the catch up sale after this latest little hiccup of DAZ being lost in no man's land?

• LmWolfSpiritLmWolfSpirit Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Me! = ) I was checking my purchase spreadsheet for something earlier, and I had an instant reminder of those prices. LOL

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Just got an email - sale's been extended through Monday

• Lori_TLori_T Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I thought this should belong here too given nearly all the products are from here from the PA's in the sale, two being new.

After rendering I realised all but two small props are items I got through DAZ3D.

Nice image Pete as always... Great water effects!
    I was away for 10 days in thew midst of the sale and I must say it is a bonus to have the sale extended even thought the credit card is maxed out
  • Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Woo-Hoo! My cart said $0.00 for all. :-P

(but refreshed :shut: - just wouldn't be right to even try. LoL )

And thanks for the extended sale info, Alisa. Got a really busy weekend - so I can stop worrying now.

Btw, great renders! :lol:

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Indigone said:

It's still not on sale, even when the extension is announced ...
    KEVIN???????

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

I just calculated everything I had spent on the PA sale, since August 30 till just now and I must say I am shocked. If I had known I would have spent this much I would have given my wife the money. Are you ready for this. I spent $1,829.77. Isn't that a kick in the ass. I pretty much cleaned out all of my PA items in the wishlist, plus all of the other content I added along the way and wow did it add up. I just started this hobby, I repeat, Hobby, the beginning of this year. I honestly am afraid to total what I spent since I started, but I could guess around 10 grand. I certainly hope there is not another PA sale for at least another 11 months. Of course I purchased just about everything I wanted, but there are many other items I did not buy yet, like all of the birds by Ken Gilliland, the Sci-Fi content from Nightshift3D and several environment items from Predatron. Okay I think I am going to go off and cry now, but maybe after I create some pretty pictures with all my new toys I bought.

PS I sure wish DAZ would give me some sort of bonus.

edited September 2012

Lori_T said:
    Szark said:

Nice image Pete as always... Great water effects!
    I was away for 10 days in thew midst of the sale and I must say it is a bonus to have the sale extended even thought the credit card is maxed outThanks Lori. The water is Jack's doing, I just put some ripples on it. :)
    Post edited by Szark on
  • Thadeus72Thadeus72 Posts: 408
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

great render szark

edited December 1969

thanks thadeus72 It does help having good models and textures though. ;)

That wasn't very subtle really was it, given what this thread is about. :)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Indigone said:

KEVIN???????
    I'm guessing it's because it is too new (release date was 7/30, according to the readme: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/14777/start

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

I just noticed that Morris's stuff is one sale. I didn't know that she was a Published Artist. Maybe I'm confusing the current sale with the Platinum club sale. This is what happens when I don't log in often. lol

• WakakanadaWakakanada Posts: 207
    edited September 2012

Kerya said:
    Indigone said:

KEVIN???????

I bought Kiyoko on the last day in July in the introductory sale, so if I was to venture a guess, I would say it fell within the 60 day exclusion, at least when the PA sale started. I'm not sure on when the exact release date was but it may have been too late for them to put it into the catch up sale.

[edit] Typed too slow...Scott-L beat me to it! And better info, too!

Post edited by Wakakanada on