What has happened to my model - materials all over the place!

tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

For those of you who have followed a couple of my really old threads by now, you will know of my cottage project.

For those who missed out look back about two weeks for posts by me.

I built my cottage exactly as I wanted and exported them to OBP files and even sent them to ShareCG because I was confident all was OK. (for some reason though I cannot locate it on shareCG yet... maybe it has to be tested?!) (shrug shoulders)

But now I am building my scene and I went to Create... User... and created my cottage from the previous project object saved there.

I placed two of these objects on my scene (very basic at this stage) so that I could get some idea of proportion for my map.

As you may see from the attached, the materials have gone haywire, the roof tiles have scaled up instead of down when I resized the object, also the gable end of the cottage is not too clever.

But look carefully at the roof again... they are duplicates yet the roof texture has rotated differently within the copy.

I am disappointed at this but maybe it is not so drastic yet - I hope someone can tell me a little magic button somewhere that will resolve this for me.... I still have several copies of the cottages in their development phases so issues can be resolved.

Thanks again people for all your help.

Terry

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

It looks to me like the materials are set to map in world space instead of object space.

It's an easy fix;
    • Go back to your original cottage document
    • Select each piece and in the Materials Lab, alter the mapping mode to Object Space
    • Re-save them to your object library
    • Delete the ones you have there already

When mapped to Object Space, all the materials will re-size and re-orientate as you move the object around and scale it.
    At present the materials are 'stuck' to the World Space and therefore don't recognise alterations to the geometry they are mapped on to.
    :)

• tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

No! Object space does not work...
    If I do that the tiles appear as though they are end on... streaked!
    The only way I can apply this material to the three sided prism are through world space...

Any other suggestions anyone?

edited September 2012

Okay - an update...
    I managed to sort the roofspace out by applying it to object CUBE and then rotating the material in the Material editor by 90 degrees on the Z plane...

However when I try the same on the gable end (Shown A) it does not work.

The picture shows the original gable end before rotation and really it is not very pretty when rotation is applied.
    I have tried rotating the materials in the editor on the X Y and Z plane but no use.

Object cube worked for the roof but is a problem here.

However the walls beneath are OK (marked B) so you can see how they should appear.

Any ideas would be greatly welcome.

Untitled.jpg
    2000 x 1411 - 1M
    Post edited by tdrd on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

One potential solution to this problem is to cut your brickwork out of one solid block. For example, if we just look at the side of the house.

Image 1 shows a cube, flattened with attributes "Positive" selected. This is important since we are going to cut away the substance of this block to leave the shape we are looking for. A brick pattern is object space mapped on to it. So in that sense it is like your main wall.

Image 2 a default grey cube is added to the scene, it is set to Negative. Also Transfer Material of Negative Boolean is set - this is to show how the material edges can be controlled - you are not stuck with the mapping of your main object - if you don't want. So when the main object is cut by this cube, where it is cut will turn default grey.

Image 3 from above, to show that the cutting cubes go all the way through the wall to be cut.

Image 4 four cubes (the dotted ones - being negative) are use to cut out the shape of the end wall. The last act is to group all these together to trigger the boolean operation.

Image 5 the end result.

Image5.jpg
    663 x 519 - 176K
    Image4.jpg
    726 x 440 - 193K
    Image3.jpg
    628 x 325 - 113K
    Image2.jpg
    589 x 669 - 194K
    Image1.jpg
    856 x 681 - 308K
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited September 2012

tdrd said:
    Okay - an update...
    I managed to sort the roofspace out by applying it to object CUBE and then rotating the material in the Material editor by 90 degrees on the Z plane...

However when I try the same on the gable end (Shown A) it does not work.

The picture shows the original gable end before rotation and really it is not very pretty when rotation is applied.
    I have tried rotating the materials in the editor on the X Y and Z plane but no use.

Object cube worked for the roof but is a problem here.

However the walls beneath are OK (marked B) so you can see how they should appear.

Any ideas would be greatly welcome.

What I find odd is the gable end on the other side appears fine, both the one on this section and the other section of the cottage it's adjoined to. So it would seem to me it's just that one gable end that has something different about it causing the problem.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited December 1969

I had not noticed the other end gable was OK... but decided if one was useless so must the others.

I assume you must have downloaded it from ShareCG to make that observation... ;-)

The above also is an interesting aspect I had not considered and will take on board for future builds.

Thank you al for the feedback and I have posted a remedied version on shareCG now.....

I'll find the link for it and pop it in the freepository...

Terry

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited September 2012

tdrd said:
    I had not noticed the other end gable was OK... but decided if one was useless so must the others.

I assume you must have downloaded it from ShareCG to make that observation... ;-)

The above also is an interesting aspect I had not considered and will take on board for future builds.

Thank you al for the feedback and I have posted a remedied version on shareCG now.....

I'll find the link for it and pop it in the freepository...

Terry

No it's visible in the picture up above where you point it out with the red arrows. Look at the end Gable on the larger section of the cottage on the far left. You can see enough of the surface to tell the texture lines up with the walls. Now notice the edge of that gable and then move a little left to the gable on the smaller scetion that you can only see the edge of, they're virtually the same but different from the gable where the texture isn't lining up correctly. So presumably that gable is correct too even though you can't visually confirm it other then that one edge.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on