Request for a simple change in next version of DAZ that would be helpful to me and others...

RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
edited September 2012 in The Commons

Okay, a few requests...

1) Make it so that each morph in the Parameters, Posing, and Shaping tabs have a small question mark in the header next to the lock that, when clicked, tell the name of the author, the Package they came sold with and a link to the readme online for that package.

2) Also put a check-box on each morph in the Parameters, Posing, and Shaping tabs, so that, when clicked and a selection of 'Palette' is chosen as the filter (like the filter for Currently Used) then all the ones we have selected are loaded into our "morph palette" so that we may keep those dials we want to fiddle with together and can quickly manage and use what we need. Then a Clear Palette button will remove the check-marks from all the morphs currently in your palette.

3) Make a button for Zero Pose & Zero Shape so that it can be placed in the toolbar and quickly clicked.

4) Make a "Zero Materials" feature along with a button that can be placed in the toolbar and quickly clicked that will clear all materials all at once.

If anyone has a simple suggestions, please feel free to post.

Please don't post "I want Dynamic Cloth NOW!" or "GENESIS SUCKS! POSER RULES!" or other things which would cause a major, expensive upgrade but some simple things around the UI that would make it better and more easily used.

What ya got? :)

Post edited by RKane_1 on

Comments

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

I can think of a few simple things that could help me navigate my Scene tab.

First, a way to change the font size would help. If there already is a way to do this, I haven't found it yet. I often have to get out of my seat and get closer to my monitor to read the names of the items.

Second, the ability to have folders in the scene tab, and to be able to drag items into them. When doing scenes with lots of items, it can be problematic sometimes to find the specific item I want to select. For example, if I create a figure, any clothes or props I add to it are directly below it in the list. I add a second figure, clothe it, same thing, so far so good. After I've added a few more figures to my scene, I decide to change the clothes on the first one. The new clothes I add to the scene will appear at the bottom of the list.

If I could create a folder for each figure, I could drag all the items associated with that figure into the proper folder. Opening the folder would let me see all the items in it, closing the folder would reduce clutter in the Scene tab when I don't need to see the whole list. This is a feature that is common in audio software, where a project with dozens of tracks can be a bit unwieldy when trying to scroll down to one specific track; having folders labeled strings, brass, etc. makes the job a lot easier.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495
    edited December 1969

You can have a few of these right now. :)

3) Make a button for Zero Pose & Zero Shape so that it can be placed in the toolbar and quickly clicked.

Here's a tutorial I wrote showing how to create your own menus and menu items. That should help with quick access to all your Zeroing needs.

http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/art/Customizing-DAZ-Studio-Interface-Menus-310684759

Make a “Zero Materials” feature along with a button that can be placed in the toolbar and quickly clicked that will clear all materials all at once.

Save a surface with all the default settings as a Surface preset. When you need to "zero" any materials, select them all and apply that saved surface. It's not a one-click solution, but it works pretty well.

Second, the ability to have folders in the scene tab, and to be able to drag items into them

You can pretty much do this by adding Group objects to your scene (Create -> New Group), and then drag all of your clothing or other items into them. They're nice because you can hide everything in the group at once just by hiding the Group.

I hope that helps a little! :)

edited December 1969

Here's a tutorial I wrote showing how to create your own menus and menu items. That should help with quick access to all your Zeroing needs.

http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/art/Customizing-DAZ-Studio-Interface-Menus-310684759

Make a “Zero Materials” feature along with a button that can be placed in the toolbar and quickly clicked that will clear all materials all at once.

Save a surface with all the default settings as a Surface preset. When you need to "zero" any materials, select them all and apply that saved surface. It's not a one-click solution, but it works pretty well.

Second, the ability to have folders in the scene tab, and to be able to drag items into them

You can pretty much do this by adding Group objects to your scene (Create -> New Group), and then drag all of your clothing or other items into them. They're nice because you can hide everything in the group at once just by hiding the Group.

Thanks, the Group feature should be just what I need. Sure wish Studio had a complete manual. Now if I can get the font bigger, I'll be all set. Time for bed now; I've been up way too long.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

riftwitch said:
    First, a way to change the font size would help. If there already is a way to do this, I haven't found it yet. I often have to get out of my seat and get closer to my monitor to read the names of the items.

I second the size change...but also move to change the font completely.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Following up what SS mentioned about surfaces... save a non surface version of Genesis when it's first loaded to a place you can easily find it... right click on the newly saved Materials preset and choose "Create Custom Action". It will appear in your "Scripts" drop down menu. Very very handy. If you wish to get rid of old actions that no longer function it's a bit fiddly but not overly so... here's how...

Edit>Customize> Left pane.... "Customize" click the + sign and all your saves will be there... right click and choose "Delete Custom Action" and then "Apply" and "Accept" and it's done.

One of things I dearly miss about older versions of DS are two things... hand pose tool. So nice and 'handy' :P and there was another tool I think many remember, Parameters Organizer which gave you the ability to hide unused sliders so only the ones your using would be visible. VERY VERY nice! I think this correlates with Robert's 2. up top there.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Helps a lot! DAZ should hire you....

Maybe to write a helpful manual!?!?

Maybe?...

:D

edited December 1969

You don't really have to learn Studio completely on your own, DAZ does have an outdated but still helpful manual and a good Reference Guide that all new users should read.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/start

I have a feeling that if the font were changed, it would cause huge interface problems. I once had the font change when I was using Poser 4 (still have no idea why it happened), and the program became unusable. I don't know of many programs where you can change the interface font for that very reason.

Parameters Organizer which gave you the ability to hide unused sliders so only the ones your using would be visible. VERY VERY nice!

I agree, and I asked about this in a recent post over in the DAZ Studio forum. Didn't get any answer, but I'll try to make a request for it (you can too of course).

Helps a lot! DAZ should hire you….

Maybe to write a helpful manual!?!?

Haha, I don't think I'm up to writing a manual for a program with this many features. ;) I don't know anything about the CCT and very little about the more technical details of exporting and such. I will keep writing tutorials and answering questions when I can though. Thanks very much. :)

edited December 1969

Wasn't there supposed to be a team writing the manual? DAZ really does have a very poor record of providing writing manual, PDF or bound... it's very sad.

Hey SS if you make a feature request post the link I'll for sure add a note to it.

edited December 1969

@SnowSultan

Thank you very much for this valuable tutorial and info.

I have made a new toolbar but cannot figure out how to get it added to the window. Whenever I create it, right click on the toolbar, it does not give it as an option to check or uncheck to show. What did I do wrong? *smile*

Is there a way to make out own little button pics so that when we make a toolbar with no pic for the button, we can create a little image and put it in there?

Thanks again for all your help! :)

edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    @SnowSultan

Thank you very much for this valuable tutorial and info.

I have made a new toolbar but cannot figure out how to get it added to the window. Whenever I create it, right click on the toolbar, it does not give it as an option to check or uncheck to show. What did I do wrong? *smile*

Is there a way to make out own little button pics so that when we make a toolbar with no pic for the button, we can create a little image and put it in there?

Okay, I did find how to enable the toolbars again under Customize -> Activities (in the right side column) -> Advsdnced -> Toolbars then right click each to enable

• edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    One of things I dearly miss about older versions of DS are two things... hand pose tool. So nice and 'handy' :P and there was another tool I think many remember, Parameters Organizer which gave you the ability to hide unused sliders so only the ones your using would be visible. VERY VERY nice! I think this correlates with Robert's 2. up top there.

Are you talking about a hand pose tool other than PowerPose?

handpose.jpg
    600 x 596 - 69K
    edited December 1969

Is there a way to tell DAZ to select all the siblings or select all parents of a selected item? Like if I click on hand, then click "Select all siblings" it will select all the fingers?

It would be even more helpful if I could do that and effect the scaling on all the siblings

edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    RAMWolff said:

Hmm, never thought of using Poser Pose. Silly me. Thanks! :-)

• edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    fivecat said:

There are also lots of hand posing sliders (grasp, fist, etc) in the posing panel under Pose Controls (select the left or right hand first). I'm not sure if these are part of the Evolution morphs or if they are included with the base Genesis figure.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,203
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    Is there a way to tell DAZ to select all the siblings or select all parents of a selected item? Like if I click on hand, then click "Select all siblings" it will select all the fingers?

It would be even more helpful if I could do that and effect the scaling on all the siblings

No, there isn't -though it should be scriptable. Though siblings are items at the same level, you mean children.

edited December 1969

Hopefully Richard can answer that question, it's been a really long time since I heard anyone even talk about being able to make our own skins or button icons and I don't know whatever became of it.

You got the toolbar added OK? Glad that tutorial helped. :)

edited December 1969

Hopefully Richard can answer that question, it's been a really long time since I heard anyone even talk about being able to make our own skins or button icons and I don't know whatever became of it.

You got the toolbar added OK? Glad that tutorial helped. :)

Yes, you can do that. You have to track down the folder they are stored in first and you can then assign the graphic to the button when your putting it all together. I did that in DS 2 and 3 iirc.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,877
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:

Go to "Edit > Customize"

On the left hand side find the Action and right click on it and choose "Change Icon"

As long as the icon is square and a PNG you should be good.

Something I did for myself was I created a new folder for my icons and copied them all over there instead of using then from the default locations. And I made sure the folder was not located anywhere that DS or my Runtime is stored so that if I reinstall DS or move my runtime/wipe it out, the folder remains. This is handy since the Registry has record of the file path to those icons.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
    edited September 2012

RKane_1 said:

No, there isn't -though it should be scriptable. Though siblings are items at the same level, you mean children.

Yes, sorry. I meant children and I found out how to do it, to. By expanding the hierarchy in the scene tab and hitting shift+click on the bottom most item in the hierarchy. You can then scale, bend, twist, etc. everything all at once if you like.

Now if only someone will write that Zero Materials button for me, I would be in hog heaven. *smile*

And how DO you make a little button picture and have it associated with a function in DAZ, such as Zero Figure?

EDIT: Sorry, MattyManx! I wrote without reading the whole thread up until now and thanks!

You too, Snowsultan. You guys rock!

Post edited by RKane_1 on
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited September 2012

I just want all used morphs (EG ones with values) in each group to populate on top. Say I go into head, now I must scroll through what head morphs are dialled. Yes I know I can go to currently used for the figure, buts sometimes I just want to see what is used in each group instead of an entire list. Maybe under currently used they can have Sub groups for each body part, which will only appear if there are morphs in it with values dialled.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    RKane_1 said:

Go to "Edit > Customize"

On the left hand side find the Action and right click on it and choose "Change Icon"

As long as the icon is square and a PNG you should be good.

Something I did for myself was I created a new folder for my icons and copied them all over there instead of using then from the default locations. And I made sure the folder was not located anywhere that DS or my Runtime is stored so that if I reinstall DS or move my runtime/wipe it out, the folder remains. This is handy since the Registry has record of the file path to those icons.

Thanks Matty... totally forgot where to look for that! :-)

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

I have a suggestion, (Mind you, I have NO idea how difficult or easy it is to achieve) I noticed that Items created outside daz... For example 3ds Max... when exported then imported to Daz, (OBJ or FBX) the Item MUST be set to zero smoothing (If not) Daz will read the smoothing, however, daz likes to replace your neat smoothing and smoothing groups with it's own. (So you end up with Double smoothing) This wouldn't be a problem if daz was to read the imported Smoothing (And Ideally Smoothing Groups) and count the imported smoothing as Daz's smoothing (So that if I were to turn off smoothing in the surfaces tab, the object would have absolutely NO smoothing).

I do know that when you import an object with smoothing and smoothing groups, it certainly imports. The problem is that you simply cant turn off that layer of smoothing. You can only turn off Daz's smoothing. (Which makes it useless for making that particular model available for download, as daz will double up on the smoothing)

I think I may be a bit confusing in my post here... Trying to make it understandable lol.

Basically, It would be good if Daz would take the imported smoothing from eg. 3ds Max (the export), and use it as it's default smoothing, instead of making it's own smoothing layer (which doubles up on the smoothing on the model). While the smoothing is daz is good, I prefer 3ds max in terms of the assigning 'Smoothing Groups'. Smoothing groups (In my opinion, is what really makes the object believable/realistic).

Again, I don't know if this is incredibly difficult to do, or simple.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited September 2012

fivecat said:
    RAMWolff said:

before powerpose
    there was pantomime
    i think alot of features from iclone should be programmed for studio.
    very useful tools in iclone...

Post edited by Fixme12 on
    edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    RAMWolff said:
    fivecat said:

There are also lots of hand posing sliders (grasp, fist, etc) in the posing panel under Pose Controls (select the left or right hand first). I'm not sure if these are part of the Evolution morphs or if they are included with the base Genesis figure.

Those are really handy. The weird thing is, they only show up under Parameters if I have the Actor, Wardrobe & Props tab on the left selected. If I select the Pose tab on the left, then the Parameters tab won't show the hand pose sliders. You would think that posing hands would be something you can do when you're in the Pose tab.

Also, how do you find the Power Pose panel? Er, never mind, I found it. Now it's time to play.

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

Spyro, it may be that you can get a similar effect using levels of detail in DS--first mport your unsmoothed object as a base, then smooth and bake your smoothing to a new export file (assuming thhats possible in max) and import that as a higher resolution level in DS.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Something I'd like is a way to toggle smoothing (for those objects that have it) at a scene level.

Say I have three or four figures in a scene with a fair number of smoothed clothing items. Rather than selecting the clothing and then toggling off the smoothing, just a single command, either as a tool button or even a keyboard command, to turn off smoothing, and then turn it on again once everyone is posed and any skirts are adjusted for legs, etc.

edited December 1969

I think that Genesis is overly smoothed out. Muscle up Genesis, make sure the model is at low rez, put his arms up all the way and watch how hideous the deltoids look after wards. I've asked repeatedly for levels of smoothing but they told me that this is the way it is, period. My morphs for Bruno look awesome as I'm using the Arms up dial and then when I release the mouse cursor and the smoothing kicks in .... it's not what I want at all hence why i need to learn how to do controllers to make adjustments as the arms go up. If DAZ can create such cool tech like smoothing, Sub-D and all the rest then their short answer to me means nothing. There is always a way to make thing better, always.

edited December 1969

Yep... displacement maps are the way to go until they get that figured out. I am working on understanding them.

Too bad you can't save a displacement map and a "target" map that will gradually transform from on to the next for displacement.

Sorry, I just boggled my own mind. *smile*

It's late and I need sleep,

Goodnight everybody!

edited December 1969

No, this would be a JCM, apparently they are easier to make these days with drag and drop but I've been working steadily on some texture packs so not into the morph creation mode just now....