OctaneRender for Daz Studio

Comments

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

My thought exactely I'd prefer to buy ATI as their card have more GPU power for rendering and NVIDIA limited their last cards so got to buy an old one. To get it correct you should buy a 580 Gtx with 3 Gigs of ram.

I may do the jump one day but I don't use unbiased renderers that much for now. I have the time to wait and see, espescially curious about cycles render engine

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2012

My thought exactely I'd prefer to buy ATI as their card have more GPU power for rendering and NVIDIA limited their last cards so got to buy an old one. To get it correct you should buy a 580 Gtx with 3 Gigs of ram.

I may do the jump one day but I don't use unbiased renderers that much for now. I have the time to wait and see, espescially curious about cycles render engine

Yeah I read the 580 GTX were best for this but I couldn't find one locally. I prefer computer parts from local stores so I went with a GTX 660 with 3gigs of ram. There were some 500 series cards around but they only had 1.5 or 2 gigs of ram.

unfortunately when I uninstalled my video card drivers it killed my both my network card drivers so now I'm doing a system restore :( Haven't been able to test out the new card yet. Either way it will be better than that 8800gts. I really like my ati card so I'll just put it in my new living room rig so that when I play driving games on my racing wheel it will be even better. I don't really play games too much anymore though.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

I'm an NVIDIA fan boy but didn't hear about the 580 GTX being the best of the best. If that will help speed up render time I'm there. I think they are way past the 500 series at this point though, aren't they?

Oh, just went to Amazon and looked at that card. I hate those long ass cards. They but up against the back of hard drives which produce bad heat. I don't like that design at all. NEXT!

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    I'm an NVIDIA fan boy but didn't hear about the 580 GTX being the best of the best. If that will help speed up render time I'm there. I think they are way past the 500 series at this point though, aren't they?

Oh, just went to Amazon and looked at that card. I hate those long ass cards. They but up against the back of hard drives which produce bad heat. I don't like that design at all. NEXT!

they way my cases are I don't have that issue fortunately. but i've got some big ole cases. the card I just got has the power connectors on the site which helps too.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited September 2012

Folks, if yer gonna drool then DROOL!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla-servers.html

Tesla K10 -- 3072 CUDA Cores. 8GB RAM.
    Quadro K5000 -- 1344 CUDA Cores, 4GB RAM

EDIT: BTW, unlike the GTX series, these have the FULL Floating-Point pipeline open, not half of it. And no, softmodding will not activate the FP Pipelines.

:cheese:

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited September 2012

i went from 0, to 96 to ~1300 in about 24 hours. Im ok for now. LOL

• joelegeckojoelegecko Posts: 64
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

The cards aren't too long, your tower is too small ;)

The 600 series is out. But unfortunately, these are cards for gamers. CUDA processing power is lower than the previous generation ( which is why Octane users are still using 5xx cards ).

I would love to get a really good Octane export plugin. It is true that you are limited by your graphic card meomory but Octane wasn't designed for Studio users. It is perfect for photorealistic renderign and architecture. Nonetheless, I've seen amazing results made by Studio users...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

In order to actually use one of those big video cards, a FULL tower case is essential.

That's all there is to it. Those cards were not designed to fit into mid or smaller cases.

Several reasons, with the most obvious one being that with that 'level' video card, the rest of the system is usually geared toward performance...and in such systems, it is a lot easier to keep them cool if the whole thing is built around a full tower case.

EDIT: BTW, unlike the GTX series, these have the FULL Floating-Point pipeline open, not half of it. And no, softmodding will not activate the FP Pipelines.

Kendall

And at the low price of $3400...I'll take two.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    In order to actually use one of those big video cards, a FULL tower case is essential.

That's all there is to it. Those cards were not designed to fit into mid or smaller cases.

Several reasons, with the most obvious one being that with that 'level' video card, the rest of the system is usually geared toward performance...and in such systems, it is a lot easier to keep them cool if the whole thing is built around a full tower case.

Kendall

a good tower will outlast the hardware in it a few generations over as well. I've had my main for 8 or so years now so 3-4 generations of guts.

edited December 1969

Yeah...that too.

• 3d-username3d-username Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

the 670 is the best price / cuda value
    the 680 3gb is the best for scene memory

the 690 3gb has 2x the speed of the 680 but shares the memory so it's 1.5

power is something to consider if you want more than one graphic card.

A 15 min render, 3000 samples, pmc - no post work
    for the best light use volumetric but it can triple the render time

I would look at http://raytracey.blogspot.com for information on the other OTOY product, for me I'm more interested in motion so i my standards my be a bit lower when it comes to the perfect render.

09.png
    960 x 540 - 3M
    Post edited by 3d-username on
    edited September 2012

i'm finally up and running, ATI CCC gave me hell for 2 hours. Used CCleaner and Driver fusion and got the mess cleaned up. Anyway found the kepler version of the software after I realized the 600series isn't supported yet. Things seem ok so far, now I just need to learn a ton of stuff :) like how to add a light lol

I'm watching the training videos now.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

The cards aren't too long, your tower is too small ;)

The 600 series is out. But unfortunately, these are cards for gamers. CUDA processing power is lower than the previous generation ( which is why Octane users are still using 5xx cards ).

I would love to get a really good Octane export plugin. It is true that you are limited by your graphic card meomory but Octane wasn't designed for Studio users. It is perfect for photorealistic renderign and architecture. Nonetheless, I've seen amazing results made by Studio users...

I have a medium sized case, I don't need a huge tower, nor do I want something monstrous in my little computer room. The rig uses a full sized Mb... so not sure why my case is too small, it's industry standard gaming rig that I use for graphics.....

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    I have a medium sized case, I don't need a huge tower, nor do I want something monstrous in my little computer room. The rig uses a full sized Mb... so not sure why my case is too small, it's industry standard gaming rig that I use for graphics.....

Back in ancient times (Window 3.x/DOS) there was basically 1 sized case...the 'full tower'. It was the 'industry standard'...when Win 95 came around cases started getting smaller and other categories were invented. But as far as it goes, the 'full tower' is still the 'standard' and everything else is adjusted down from there. And really, a full tower isn't that much bigger (yes mid-towers come in small, medium and large flavors) than the 'real' mid-tower spec, but some times, that little extra does matter. Like with a real 'full sized' video card...

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Kendall

I didn't say they were cheap. But it is something to dream about. No, I don't have any... yet. I have seen them in action though. VERY very fast! And I would like to have a few, but there's no justification yet. :-(

Since these both have the full floating-point pipelines available the CUDA cores run up to 300% faster each than the CUDA cores on the GTX series.

Here are some numbers of a softmodded Quadro-FX 4600 compared to a real Quadro FX 1700. As most will know the FX-1700 is a LOW END Quadro. Imagine the numbers from the K-10 (and the new K-20...)

Software Softmod 4600 Real 1700
    (128 CUDA) (32 CUDA)

3ds Max 16.13 37.12
    CATIA 15.38 38.85
    EnSight 19.46 26.32
    Maya 30.13 60.00
    Pro/ENGINEER 13.16 36.43
    SolidWorks 23.42 48.20

Kendall

edited September 2012

Yeah i still prefer full towers for my computer room and use mid size cases for the play room.

Anyway I'm making progress on the tutorial videos, but I decided to experiment with the lighting (before i got there in the tutorial series)and found the daylight lighting system where you can pick your location and pick the day, time and month. That made me squee a bit...even with terrible materials right now (my fault), the lighting is nice...

• BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

I am really looking forward to this plug in :)
    Have we any idea when it will be ready and which versions of DAZ Studio it will work in?

edited December 1969

Bea said:
    Have we any idea when it will be ready and which versions of DAZ Studio it will work in?

they said in the forums 4.5 and the two immediate releases prior to it.

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Exciting news,

Will have to dust off my version of octane and actually install it.!!!!.

One question Kath, if you know. Have the octane team managed to sort out the compatibility and performance issues with the latest 6 series Nvidia graphics cards.??

The reason I ask is that these cards have more texture slots availalble to them and you can also get a 4gb version of the 680. an extra gig always helps.!!!..So may consider getting one of these for octane rendering, should I adopt it fully into my production pipeline.

Cheers,

S.K.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

DS 3, DS4, and DS 4.5

Bea said:
    edited December 1969

Here are some of my test from DS to Octane
    scenes was build in DS

candle.jpg
    720 x 1161 - 457K
    bud-lite.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 193K
    BROOK4S.jpg
    1200 x 680 - 158K
    BROOK1S.jpg
    720 x 1002 - 133K
    hot-body-big-JPG.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 474K
    edited September 2012

and here couple more .. that what you could render in couple of min at max and not wait over night
    it is coming !!

libra3.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 417K
    octane-gasnica.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 461K
    peppers-new-dof.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 458K
    gtx-octane.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 436K
    car-octane.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 455K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
    edited September 2012

Exciting news,

One question Kath, if you know. Have the octane team managed to sort out the compatibility and performance issues with the latest 6 series Nvidia graphics cards.??

The reason I ask is that these cards have more texture slots availalble to them and you can also get a 4gb version of the 680. an extra gig always helps.!!!..So may consider getting one of these for octane rendering, should I adopt it fully into my production pipeline.

Cheers,

S.K.

I have a 3gig 660ti and while its not support at the moment they do have a beta build that works for kepler. its supposed to be 2/3 the speed of the previous generation, but even then I was able to render a 1600x2000 image that looked as good as my lux renders in 7 minutes. The lux render too 15 hours. I've still got a lot to learn but the tutorial videos have been helpful.

Edit: I got to 3000 samples in 7 minutes, I never let my lux renders go more than 2000samples due to time...

edited December 1969

No they did not for real that why the plugin programmer recommend 580 over 600 series as that turned to be not what everyone expected
    they said to maybe allow to use other graphics cards in the future but exactly when and what is not clear 680 will not speed anything it will be just much slower .. a 580 3GB is a good one already so you can render full stonemason city without issues
    and with 3GB of memory you can render 8-9 V5 together textured with different textures ..if you use smart reduction of the resolution ( no compression ) as it don;t matter
    I am going to update my future products also special for Octane with macro materials , sss skin shaders and and all stuff .
    The plugin material tab is very rich and better as the one in octane so you would have all freedom and fun ..

if you don;t care about the speed that much and need more memory then go for the 680 4GB
    but what make Octane so great that simple cheap graphic card have a rendering power that no one of your regular computer will ever have until you render using render farm .. and that is the power of GPU
    I need to ask the programmer tomorrow if there would be any changes regarding to the 600-series or any improvement and if it even is sense do spend money on that , as I know they working on improvements

from heart I wish they do something and we can switch to other cards that would be really great and I know that is possible but the decision on that will be make by Otoy that is very careful with any movements .

and regarding to other comments above , there was never a plan to make anything for DS or Poser
    this was all by accident , now you get it also for Poser but total different .. I am on the beta team also so can't wait what it will be all about in the Poser scene in the next days.. but as usual I am under agreement until the releases of both plugin so can't share the details

Exciting news,

Cheers,

S.K.

edited September 2012

that is very good ! it also depend what kernel you used as not all shades will render with the fast directlight kernel
    but not bad at all ...

I have a 3gig 660ti and while its not support at the moment they do have a beta build that works for kepler. its supposed to be 2/3 the speed of the previous generation, but even then I was able to render a 1600x2000 image that looked as good as my lux renders in 7 minutes. The lux render too 15 hours. I've still got a lot to learn but the tutorial videos have been helpful.

Edit: I got to 3000 samples in 7 minutes, I never let my lux renders go more than 2000samples due to time...

bitte_ein_bier.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 290K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
    edited December 1969

true I can't always use pathtracing or pmc, but it's only day one for me so I can wait a bit. Some scenes pathtracing works, others it doesn't I haven't learned how those work yet so it could be my fault as well. Either way its working well enough for me to learn the system and get some results.

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply Guys,

Excellent info there.

I currently have a gainwood 580 GTX 3gb, so I am at the top of the card 'table' at the moment..;) But who knows maybe in the future other cards or platforms may achieve support.

I know this segment of the CG world is undergoing ALOT of fast development and innovation at the moment..

I am literally itching for this plugin to be released..!!!.

Will there be a range of tutorial Video's being released..?? I am particlularly thinking in the use of Octanes' material editor, the abiltity to use just one texture and copy/paste to different material zones, will REALLY help with scene memory management and shader limitations.

Cheers,

S.K.

• AlexLOAlexLO Posts: 193
    edited September 2012

A couple more samples of human renders in Octane. The full figures are using half resolution textures & still look detailed & realistic. We're going back to the basic principles of shading & rendering where a few simple, correct maps & proper light yield amazing results. The node based material editor makes surface setup a breeze, and it is even more elegant & advanced in the DS plugin version. Very exciting days are ahead!

dreamsofmyfuture_f01_040412.jpg
    1280 x 825 - 487K
    xodusman01_johnny5_5K_042212.jpg
    960 x 540 - 242K
    m5hardcore02_agfa400cdat14K_1080HD_042912.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 451K
    Post edited by AlexLO on
    edited December 1969

I like that with directlighting you have control over the ambient occlusion the glossiness and specular and can set the desired level as needed but if you go for caustics or sss there is not choice as go for pathtracing , I remember renderd real diamond it was a very long rendering time .. but hey what is 1 hour for rendering , nothing
    when I had my first day I can't stop rendering it was much fun ..

edited September 2012

Thanks for the reply Guys,

the abiltity to use just one texture and copy/paste to different material zones, will REALLY help with scene memory management and shader limitations.

Cheers,

S.K.

i would like to know this as well

been watching his videos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXUE-39fwug&feature=player_embedded