Bye Bye Daz3d

Comments

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Genesis is a figure, DS4 is a system. The reason genesis doesn't work in poser is because poser doesn't have the system for handling the genesis figure. Genesis in and of it's self is simply a weight mapped figure. Nothing more.

You're doing this just to upset people aren't you? Blondie and Richard just explained, Rather well I might add, about Genesis, DS4 and poser and how they work and why Genesis won't work in Poser. I am pretty much a layman when it comes to what they know but they explained it well enough so that even I understood it, what are you not catching? Either you did not read what they wrote or you are ignoring them just to stir things up.

I am a Poser user and I wasn't happy when I found out that I wouldn't be able to play with the nice shiny new toy that all the DS user got to, but I didn't get upset, I went and bought a copy of DS4A about a month before it was free. This post started out with a hint that Genesis might be coming to Poser. If it does that will be awesome, If not I have V4 in Poser with all the cool joint fixes that are available on the market and I will continue to use her.

I would like to see at least one thread concerning Genesis and Poser stick around instead of it getting locked and having to start all over again.

edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    T Jaiman said:
    ssgbryan said:
    T Jaiman said:
    Also, older weight-mapping that was available in Poser, and Carrara, wasn't as advanced as TriAx, and the latest Poser.

Earlier versions of Poser didn't have weight-mapping.

Thanks for the (unquoted) answers, ssgbryan.

I was thinking about weightmapping that some (person or people) had once said to be available via scripting. IIRC, there was talk about users who did, or hypothetically could have used it. I figured someone might bring it up, so I was trying to cover the bases. Didn't occur to me how it would probably be read, heh.

Edit: Oh crap! I forgot. I didn't miss the intro sale of Miki4. But the Tyler info link now goes to featured content.

Miki4 & Tyler are now available - Free until 1 Oct for owners of Poser9/2012. Must have SR3 installed.

Just grabbed my copy of them as well! Thanks for the info.

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited September 2012

I would like to see at least one thread concerning Genesis and Poser stick around instead of it getting locked and having to start all over again.

I second that. And it always seems to get very informative, before the lock.

So folks should stay mindful not to get personal, when disagreeing. (Just saying, for no particular reason).
    8-/

Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

Just grabbed my copy of them as well! Thanks for the info.

I tried to be sneaky and get them with my Poser Debut Serial, it didn't work. 8-/

• KerwinKerwin Posts: 124
    edited September 2012

Blondie and Richard just explained, Rather well I might add, about Genesis, DS4 and poser and how they work and why Genesis won't work in Poser. I am pretty much a layman when it comes to what they know but they explained it well enough so that even I understood it, what are you not catching?

Hi Shadowhawk,

To shed a small amount of light on the situation, Blondie & Richard explained, quite well, the current narrative from our DAZ3d, which might by summarized as "Genesis is a system that is somewhat inseparable from the features in DS4 and later." There was however, a narrative *before* this one when DS4 was first launched that there would be a CR2 exporter which would support a workflow along the lines of "Open up DS4, Dial-up Anubis, Export, Use Anubis." DAZ somewhat grumpily abandoned this earlier narrative last falls on the grounds that the Smith Micro team did not implement features they were expecting. The new narrative of the inseparability of Genesis and DazStudio has evolved after that time.

So Poser users have been confronted by two narratives from DAZ:

1) Genesis is a multiplatform offering. Indeed some of the original hype around Genesis would be it was designed be use in other systems beyond DAZ Studio. Dan Farr (DAZ Founder) mentioned several times in public forums that DAZ was working with other system makers to bring Genesis to those platforms. To date, DS4 and later is the sole platform for Genesis.

2) Genesis is inseparable from the DAZ Studio platform; this is largely due to the advanced technical requirements of the platform (subdivision, smoothng modifier, weightmaps, etc.) Some of these represent greater barriers than others to implementing Genesis in a 3rd party system.

These two positions are somewhat incompatible, and the change in narrative induces some skepticism on the part Poser users. The dropped hints about poser users being in heaven suggest that a technical solution may be in the works. I think some of us are waiting for DAZ to state clearly their position for the future.

-K

(The quote in terms of using Genesis in Poser is from August 2011 where DAZ_Rand wrote on DAZ's forums; "We have also done 'Our Part' by having a CR2 exporter that will be free to everyone. This will allow limited "Baked" Genesis forms in Poser... so dial up Anubis, export, open in poser... use Anubis.")

Post edited by Kerwin on
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Kerwin said:
    . . . using Genesis in Poser is from August 2011 where DAZ_Rand wrote on DAZ's forums . . .

Which reminds me (not to derail, but), what happened to DAZ_Rand? I don't think he's posted in months, but it's hard to tell because his profile won't come up. 8-/
    edited September 2012

Kerwin said:
    . . . using Genesis in Poser is from August 2011 where DAZ_Rand wrote on DAZ's forums . . .
    Which reminds me (not to derail, but), what happened to DAZ_Rand? I don't think he's posted in months,

I was wondering about that, too.

but it's hard to tell because his profile won't come up. 8-/

Makes you wonder if he quit the place, and asked to have his profile removed. I would've bugged out, long ago, if I'd had all those slings and arrows aimed at me. Folks would go out of their way to misinterpret him and to take offense***. (Tho' he did have some of that ol' Daz ambiguosity, from time to time - I once misinterpreted him... [missing blush emoticon here]). Come to think of it, did he ever show up at the new forum at all? Maybe he just took the opportunity to put this behind him. (And would you have wanted to deal with all the $___ flying around here when the new forum sputtered online, and the Store was a wreck? Given that he was the one people picked on).
    Or perhaps he got busier with other things. *** It was a little rough here. But it was fierce over at Rendo. Say, what was his handle over at Rendo's forums? I forget
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Thanks Blondie!

I really appreciate you taking time to explain the whole situation. Your explanation was clear and hopefully a lot of us now have a better understanding about what the deal is.

:coolsmile:

edited September 2012

What I'll be saying is how I understood the various statements. Subject to correction from those more knowledgeble.:

I'm in a hurry, so if I sound abrupt, it's not due to any ill intent.

There's no tone in my thoughts. Think "Spock" (or Spock's dimwitted cousin, if you will).

Kerwin said:

[snippage]
    when DS4 was first launched that there would be a CR2 exporter which would support a workflow along the lines of "Open up DS4, Dial-up Anubis, Export, Use Anubis."

They've always talked about plugins - which would have to be written by the target app's people, or based on .an SDK.

Studio, at the launch of Genesis, and for months after, was an unqualified mess, so nobody wrote the plugins, and SM quit working on it.

Studio's Beta designation was dropped entirely too early (causing harm to their reputation).

Edit: Though if SM had made all of the necessary changes, perhaps only an exporter would be needed. I don't recall anything about that, but it would fit.
    Can anyone clear that up for me?

Note: if it's a matter of SDK, then the plugin would have to wait for Daz to find sufficient spare developer-hours.

In my estimation virtually all of the previous mess has been removed from Studio.

So there is a strong possibility of those spare developer-hours being available for plugins.

However, we consumers only have hints, at this point...

DAZ somewhat grumpily abandoned this earlier narrative last falls on the grounds that the Smith Micro team did not implement features they were expecting.

SM did work with Daz, as far as developing a compatible weightmapping system. Sometime after that, SM called off the collaboration.

Most folks here could give a link to an SM-Poser big-wig who said so, explicitly.

My recollection is of a Daz developer expressing disappointment and bewilderment, I don't recall grumpyness, except for my own.

The new narrative of the inseparability of Genesis and DazStudio has evolved after that time.

Genesis is inseparable from many functions contained in Studio. A plugin would have to provide any which weren't in the target app.

Emphasis mine:
    The real power of Genesis lies not in the figure itself, but in the functions and features of DS 4-- particularly subdivision, weight-mapping, scaling, and UV swapping.

[snip]

So-- Genesis, by itself, is just another figure. However, thanks to the features and functions of DS 4, Genesis is far more versatile than the previous Poser-based figures ever were.

Emphasis was added to quote, above.

DS4 isn't magic, it's programming. And Daz dev's would undoubtedly work with,e.g, Maya, as they did with SM.

1) Genesis is a multiplatform offering. Indeed some of the original hype around Genesis would be it was designed be use in other systems beyond DAZ Studio. Dan Farr (DAZ Founder) mentioned several times in public forums that DAZ was working with other system makers to bring Genesis to those platforms. To date, DS4 and later is the sole platform for Genesis.

2) Genesis is inseparable from the DAZ Studio platform; this is largely due to the advanced technical requirements of the platform (subdivision, smoothng modifier, weightmaps, etc.) Some of these represent greater barriers than others to implementing Genesis in a 3rd party system.

These two positions are somewhat incompatible, and the change in narrative induces some skepticism on the part Poser users. The dropped hints about poser users being in heaven suggest that a technical solution may be in the works. I think some of us are waiting for DAZ to state clearly their position for the future.

The positions are incompatible when they are oversimplified. People oversimplify in almost every circumstance, but it's ok, because they are speaking in context. The problem is when the listener oversimplifies (a universal human weakness, which we all succumb to from time to time). Listener oversimplification is nigh-inevitable if they aren't aware of the full relevant context. It's extremely common for a listener to grow weary of a long explanation and read hastily, or fail to absorb/retain various details and/or qualifiers in the statement. (Nothing personal).

The 2 narratives are actually one, stated in oversimplified manner, according to 2 sets of circumstance.

(The quote in terms of using Genesis in Poser is from August 2011 where DAZ_Rand wrote on DAZ's forums; "We have also done 'Our Part' by having a CR2 exporter that will be free to everyone. This will allow limited "Baked" Genesis forms in Poser... so dial up Anubis, export, open in poser... use Anubis.")

Spin. That's one of his skills, and a major part of his job.

But his meaning was clear in the larger context.

They did as much of their job, as they could, under the circumstances. More functionality would require more participation on SM's part.

Now, with Poser' SR3 plugin system, there is the distinct possibility of Daz doing more.

That SR3 plugin system is what I understand to be what has already brought/bringing Reality for Poser, Animate2 for Poser, and I think another once-exclusive-to-Daz plugin...

But Genesis can't be as quick, as those, simply because so many functions have to be exported.

edited December 1969

Kerwin said:
    Blondie and Richard just explained, Rather well I might add, about Genesis, DS4 and poser and how they work and why Genesis won't work in Poser. I am pretty much a layman when it comes to what they know but they explained it well enough so that even I understood it, what are you not catching?

Hi Shadowhawk,

To shed a small amount of light on the situation, Blondie & Richard explained, quite well, the current narrative from our DAZ3d, which might by summarized as "Genesis is a system that is somewhat inseparable from the features in DS4 and later." There was however, a narrative *before* this one when DS4 was first launched that there would be a CR2 exporter which would support a workflow along the lines of "Open up DS4, Dial-up Anubis, Export, Use Anubis." DAZ somewhat grumpily abandoned this earlier narrative last falls on the grounds that the Smith Micro team did not implement features they were expecting. The new narrative of the inseparability of Genesis and DazStudio has evolved after that time.

-K

Hey Kerwin,
    Thanks for the explanation, I pretty much got all of that as I have been following the whole issue about Genesis and will it or won't it ever be ready for Poser thing. My issue was with a certain statement that I felt was done on purpose simply to throw fire on an already heated topic. I have seen to many of these threads get locked because someone refuses to budge from their perch no matter what, it would be nice if just once we could have one go for awhile where someone wouldn't ruin it buy pushing everyone to the breaking point.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

shadowhawk1 what blondie9999 say here "So—Genesis, by itself, is just another figure. However, thanks to the features and functions of DS 4, Genesis is far more versatile than the previous Poser-based figures ever were."

Is the same thing I am saying here "Genesis is a figure, DS4 is a system. The reason genesis doesn’t work in poser is because poser doesn’t have the system for handling the genesis figure. Genesis in and of it’s self is simply a weight mapped figure. Nothing more."

So how is that disagreeing with her?

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    shadowhawk1 what blondie9999 say here "So—Genesis, by itself, is just another figure. However, thanks to the features and functions of DS 4, Genesis is far more versatile than the previous Poser-based figures ever were."

Is the same thing I am saying here "Genesis is a figure, DS4 is a system. The reason genesis doesn’t work in poser is because poser doesn’t have the system for handling the genesis figure. Genesis in and of it’s self is simply a weight mapped figure. Nothing more."

Because both of you aren't on the mark.

Genesis is NOT a figure. It a system for making figures from a single mesh. The various technologies involved in making those figures, such as weightmapping, subdivision, geografting and dynamic morphs, are in support of making that figure look, pose and behave well.

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Be nice if Daz hurry up and tell us what's supposed to be happening for the poser users before we are bored to death by more arguing about how Genesis the not figure and Ds 4.5 are so awesome while still more users leave the PC and desert daz for rendoDNA

edited September 2012

ManStan said:

Or put another way, it ain't Genesis unless the weightmapped figure has the system to make it work. The system could be built-in, or provided by a plugin.

The weightmapped figure is what we play with, but it's not Genesis by itself.

That figure can be exported, and Poser will use weightmapping, but it no longer does the Genesis-thing.

But, for confusion's sake, we call it exporting Genesis into Poser, when we're merely exporting one of it's characters.

This issue bores me... [/Roman-emperor-voice] :)

I vote we quit playing this wordgame, so everyone can get on with many other topics of the thread.

By the way... what makes this an issue? Just asking.

Edits: brain farts.

edited September 2012

adzan said:
    Be nice if Daz hurry up and tell us what's supposed to be happening for the poser users before we are bored to death by more arguing about how Genesis the not figure and Ds 4.5 are so awesome while still more users leave the PC and desert daz for rendoDNA

LOL!

Though for the issue of people leaving... From things vendors saying, Genesis is selling well. That suggests is that weightmapping brought in a lot of new users (primarily to Daz). In turn, Daz has sent a lot of customers to other brokers. So everyone seems to be making money.

Of course, from our point of view, losing a lot of people takes a lot out of the forum.

edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    ManStan said:

Or put another way, it ain't Genesis unless the weightmapped figure has the system to make it work. The system could be built-in, or provided by a plugin.

The weightmapped figure is what we play with, but it's not Genesis by itself.

That figure can be exported, and Poser will give it a weightmap, but it no longer does the Genesis-thing.

But, for confusion's sake, we call it exporting Genesis into Poser, when we're merely exporting one of it's personalities.

This issue bores me... [/Roman-emperor-voice] :)

I vote we quit playing this wordgame, so everyone can get on with many other topics of the thread.

By the way... what makes this an issue? Just asking.

Prissily what I am saying. To me Genesis is the figure, studio 4 is the system. Genesis is nothing more then a weight mapped figure till you put it in studio, much like a CD is just a plastic disk till you put it in a CD player. And like any other weight mapped figure only works in the app it was made in; with out converting.

The issue is just different people have different precepts of just what genesis is.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    Kerwin said:
    Which reminds me (not to derail, but), what happened to DAZ_Rand? I don't think he's posted in months,

Makes you wonder if he quit the place, and asked to have his profile removed. I would've bugged out, long ago, if I'd had all those slings and arrows aimed at me. Folks would go out of their way to misinterpret him and to take offense***. (Tho' he did have some of that ol' Daz ambiguosity, from time to time - I once misinterpreted him... [missing blush emoticon here]).

Come to think of it, did he ever show up at the new forum at all? Maybe he just took the opportunity to put this behind him.

(And would you have wanted to deal with all the $___ flying around here when the new forum sputtered online, and the Store was a wreck? Given that he was the one people picked on).

Or perhaps he got busier with other things.

*** It was a little rough here. But it was fierce over at Rendo.

Say, what was his handle over at Rendo's forums? I forget
    Not only is his profile gone, his PA item has also been removed from the store: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/daz_rand (it was some sort of merchant resource involving Reby Sky, I believe). Until I hear otherwise, I'll assume that he's no longer with the company. A shame...I enjoyed his posts and renders. :(

He had posted on the new forum, months ago: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/601/

edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    Kerwin said:

Makes you wonder if he quit the place, and asked to have his profile removed. I would've bugged out, long ago, if I'd had all those slings and arrows aimed at me. Folks would go out of their way to misinterpret him and to take offense***. (Tho' he did have some of that ol' Daz ambiguosity, from time to time - I once misinterpreted him... [missing blush emoticon here]).

Come to think of it, did he ever show up at the new forum at all? Maybe he just took the opportunity to put this behind him.

(And would you have wanted to deal with all the $___ flying around here when the new forum sputtered online, and the Store was a wreck? Given that he was the one people picked on).

Not only is his profile gone, his PA item has also been removed from the store: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/daz_rand (it was some sort of merchant resource involving Reby Sky, I believe). Until I hear otherwise, I'll assume that he's no longer with the company. A shame...I enjoyed his posts and renders. :(

He had posted on the new forum, months ago: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/601/

I might be wrong but I thought he changed is name to his full name Randal... now I am drawing a blank on his last name.

edited September 2012

I might be wrong but I thought he changed is name to his full name Randal... now I am drawing a blank on his last name.

Randal Lloyd, according to his store.

edit: I'm not getting anywhere with advanced search...

edit:Google found it:
    www.daz3d.com/forums/member_search/7283/

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited September 2012

Isikol said:
    What on earth did you just said my good Admin? :O !????!

I wish I was at liberty to say more, but you will have to read into my post above. Sorry many more details will be coming...

Could it be???

It has to be.

What else could it be?

The Millennium Cow at last!!!

YAY!

I'm voting on unflatable millennium cow myself. :)

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited September 2012

T Jaiman said:
    Kerwin said:

I guess he's done with it. I'm gonna miss him.

Perhaps we'll see him sometime, under what seems to be his real name, here (below).

Looks like he last posted here in May, and at Rendo in June.
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/search.php?cache_id=532984&resort=post_date

One contentious thread, that I remember, was apparently deleted.

His Rendo store is empty, and the profile is empty.

Google finds Randall Lloyd Photography member, here (no posts).

That spelling seems to be him, and Google turns up some more sites, but no recent posts.

If I kept looking, I might find that he's deeply involved in something, but I'm starting to feel like a stalker. :)

edited December 1969

At one time I knew a lot of people at DAZ. Emailed back and forth with Chris a few times, Was in the know most of the time; wasn't my place to say anything. But now I'm not sure I know any one at DAZ any more.

I liked DAZ_Rand, he'd argue with me. That proved his commitment to me.

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited September 2012

Kerwin said:

Hi Shadowhawk,

1) Genesis is a multiplatform offering. Indeed some of the original hype around Genesis would be it was designed be use in other systems beyond DAZ Studio. Dan Farr (DAZ Founder) mentioned several times in public forums that DAZ was working with other system makers to bring Genesis to those platforms. To date, DS4 and later is the sole platform for Genesis NOT TRUE.
    See how RealLusion has an agreement to resell DAZ products AND ALLOW GENESIS Products to be IMPORTED, Animated, Rendered MANIPULATED and EXPORTED into Other 3D applications. Equipped with a DAZ Game license, the options for 3D pipeline and rendering extensiblity for Genisis based products is nearly endless.

REF: DAZ Geniss Content in IC: http://www.reallusion.com/creative/creative_daztutorial.aspx

-K

Lets not get hung over words and lose sight of tier stated objectives. Now where is that super duper mass content installer they were promising us. Keeping my runtimes up to date is a nightmare!

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
    edited December 1969

[snip]
    See how RealLusion has an agreement to resell DAZ products AND ALLOW GENESIS Products to be IMPORTED, Animated, Rendered MANIPULATED and EXPORTED into Other 3D applications. Equipped with a DAZ Game license, the options for 3D pipeline and rendering extensiblity for Genisis based products is nearly endless.

REF: DAZ Geniss Content in IC:

http://www.reallusion.com/creative/creative_daztutorial.aspx

Cool! Thanks for finding that.

[snip]

Now where is that super duper mass content installer they were promising us. Keeping my runtimes up to date is a nightmare!

Probably waiting for everything to go thru the conversion to zip... long after we've downloaded updates for half the store.:-S

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited September 2012

...maintaining one's runtime is a thankless task agreed, but after seeing the mess the .exe installers have made to my runtime structure (especially the Daz content folder) I have just a few reservations about using any kind of automated batch install routine.

...I just feel that I's end up spending more time fixing errors compared to than what it would take installing each individual item correctly in the first place.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Cyn Art said:
    . . . For all I know there's a lighter stand-alone where the Genesis model can be loaded, adjusted and then saved out as a .cr2 or .obj. (Remember, I know nothing about anything, so how would I even know if that's possible or not?)
    . . .

LoL Whadaya know. My guess might not have been too far off.
    Is this the surprise? :) \/ \/ \/

Genesis to Poser CR2
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-to-poser-cr2

Even if it's not the surprise,
    Yay, Cliff Bowman! :lol:
    Bet you've brought some smiles!

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited October 2012

Cyn Art said:
    Cyn Art said:
    . . . For all I know there's a lighter stand-alone where the Genesis model can be loaded, adjusted and then saved out as a .cr2 or .obj. (Remember, I know nothing about anything, so how would I even know if that's possible or not?)
    . . .

Genesis to Poser CR2

Yeah, yeah ...

But will it convert 3DU"s Toon Cow?

Who cares about genocide? It's only a lousy human figure. We gots too many humans already!

3DU"s Toon Cow (and possibly other non-human figures from them & other vendors) was inexplicably released as duf (dsf?) only and useless to many people! If that toy can convert things other than stupid humans, it would be a great thing.

Otherwise it's just more species-ism from daz!

Post edited by Sockratease on
    edited October 2012

Yeah, there really should be a converter for duf, and whatever else might need to be converted.

Hey, while you're here, would you like to see a weightmapped cow? (Daz, Poser or one for each).

I know I would.

• Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Cyn Art said:
    Cyn Art said:
    . . .

Genesis to Poser CR2

Oh, heck. That's not the surprise. :P
    I just found this thread tonight from back in JUNE! LoLoL
    It's Cliff Bowman's "Genesis to Poser .CR2 Competition"
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2195/

:shut: I really gotta keep up with this stuff more. LoL