uv map switching

ChoppskiChoppski Posts: 441
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

in daz studio there is a way to get m4 to use v4 textures and vise versa--is this possible at all in carrara? if so, how?

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Choppski :)

No, there's no UV Swapping within Carrara 8.5 (beta) yet. but you can create a character in the free DS and save that as a DUF file which can be opened in Carrara.

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

I'm thinking this should be entered as a bug to ensure that it is at least considered before 8.5 goes final. The big selling point for 8.5 is supposed to be genesis and this is a significant genesis feature. I'll probably forget to do so myself :(

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI :)

As far as I'm aware,.. it's a Daz Studio 4 feature, rather than Genesis specific feature.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a nice thing to have,. but it's not a bug, it's just not been added yet, ...if it even can be.

Currently Carrara's shader room, or modelling room, don't have any options to change, save, load, or "Swap" one UV set for another,
    so those are "new" Carrara features which would need to be added, (somewhere) before UV Swapping, could be added.

:)

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI :)

As far as I'm aware,.. it's a Daz Studio 4 feature, rather than Genesis specific feature.

Six of one, or half dozen of another? You could say that the morph projection was a Daz Studio 4 feature, not genesis, as well. But, it is only for the genesis figure and is in Carrara. I don't buy the argument that because Daz hasn't included it in Carrara it isn't a genesis feature or you would have autofit for other figures as well.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a nice thing to have,. but it's not a bug, it's just not been added yet, ...if it even can be.

Currently Carrara's shader room, or modelling room, don't have any options to change, save, load, or "Swap" one UV set for another,
    so those are "new" Carrara features which would need to be added, (somewhere) before UV Swapping, could be added.

So the lack of pre-existing in Carrara is an argument for them not being part of C8.5 -- whose major feature is genesis? Really? Carrara also didn't previously have auto fit, but that was added as a necessary genesis feature. And that is a *lot* more difficult than loading/saving UV mapping. The fact that Carrara *can't* load/save UV maps has always puzzled me. If you are only using third party figures it doesn't make much sense, but it would be useful when creating content.

I suspect that either Daz somehow forgot about the UV mapping (which is why a bug report is helpful to poke them about it) or was simply delaying it as a known simple item. Carrara allows editing UV maps so it clearly has in its architecture the ability define them apart from when a figure is loaded. The rest is a matter of exposing it via the GUI. Even a simple "load" button that can parse the UV map information out of the relevant file suffices, though having a nicer interface would be appreciated.

edited December 1969

In any case, I'm home now and got a bug posted, its here. So feel free to add your voice for or against this. If 3dage is correct about the Daz view toward this being a DS4 feature, not a genesis feature, it is probably even more important for anyone who agrees with my position to add their voice.