Bye Bye Daz3d

Comments

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    If you ask me, the worst thing is not what has happened to DAZ and how they've handled it, but the negative way many people have reacted to it. If you can't deal with a thing like this in a constructive way, I wonder how you can handle real life...

Totally Zen. This. Too true. 100% agree.

So much angst, anger, and negativity for what is, for most folks, a hobby.

Kendall

Hmmm
    People are upset because the site that used to be easy to use and the forums that were easy and fun to use are now both steaming piles of rubbish.
    Let's see, what's the best way to get them to believe everything is fine? I know, let's insult them.
    That'll do it.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2012

Taozen said:
    If you ask me, the worst thing is not what has happened to DAZ and how they've handled it, but the negative way many people have reacted to it.

Speaking in general (Nothing personally intended) ... I totally agree with that statement! Seriously, it's not that big a deal. Things change. While some changes are less desirable than others, we all just move on. Such as life. :)

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

Stay positive... I'm sure there are many improvements in the near future :)

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

People are upset because the site that used to be easy to use and the forums that were easy and fun to use are now both steaming piles of rubbish

I don't find the forums or the store hard to use now that they've been worked on, and I'd hardly call them steaming piles of rubbish.

Let’s see, what’s the best way to get them to believe everything is fine? I know, let’s insult them

That statement didn't come from DAZ staff, it came from a fellow member who has every right to disagree with you. Most people are not finding things *that* bad around here.

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited September 2012

Life is loaded with annoyances, just keep on truckin'. Useability was nil at first. There's working email notifications & links, now. Full forum sorting. I haven't been logged out (except the store) for months. Ok, the user search still breaks on "multiple replies found - search this thread", maybe some stuff I haven't used, I dunno. But it ain't too shabby, now.

[This paragraph is broad strokes, two years of threads on everything-Daz, no particulars, no personalities] I'm a curmudgeon, in real life. But I come off sounding like a cheerleader, because I don't see the grief, every time Daz twitches in its sleep. I don't want to sound like a cheerleader, that's a misrepresentation. To me, some of this drama (no offense, curmudgeon speaking), even about things I didn't even notice (and I'm a curmudgeon, did I mention?), seems a little over the top. I react similarly to angst movies, I'm hollering at the TV... uh... things which would be undiplomatic in print, heh. I'm a pragmatic curmudgeon. I've read a lot of stuff (in 2 years) that makes me go "So??". To me, the Daz experience (probably TM somewhere, forgotton, in an old-timey file cabinet) amounts to "That's cool." "That sucks.". Does it have to be campaign season every year? I hang here to get away from that. (I should just ignore these threads, it's not good for my ticker... officially).

Just need a little frontier spirit.

And for a meaningless, go-take-my-nap free-association... "What?! That wasn't it?"

The new forum is like a camping trip, where the cushy grounds were closed, and you had to set up after dark by nearly-hopeless lantern light. But the rocks are out from under the tents, they're anchored right, so they wouldn't blow over *sigh* again. The unpatchably-leaking air mattresses are replaced, the mosquito net tent is patched, and the bear-proof locker is chained to the ground, now, so you don't have to hoist everything into the trees (but you know that stupid dog is going to get himself killed if a bear does come around). So just partake of refreshment, kick back, tune out the roar of the interstate down the hill, chat idlely, and wait for the train's horn to echo in the coolest way, at 2:03.

Post edited by T Jaiman on
    edited December 1969

People are upset because the site that used to be easy to use and the forums that were easy and fun to use are now both steaming piles of rubbish

I don't find the forums or the store hard to use now that they've been worked on, and I'd hardly call them steaming piles of rubbish.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree Sultan.
    I used to be able to navigate the store and find nearly everything. Now, I can't find anything.
    The Itemized order history is nearly worthless.
    The forums don't bump threads to the top, so that makes them hard to use.

Glad it all works for you, though.

edited December 1969

That statement didn't come from DAZ staff, it came from a fellow member who has every right to disagree with you. Most people are not finding things *that* bad around here.

I didn't say they shouldn't disagree with me. I was simply stating that insulting people wasn't going to get them to say the site is a marvel of useability.

I guess all the old timers saying "goodbye" isn't a big enough clue that things really ARE that bad.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:

????????????
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    tsarist said:

????????????

If the threads don't move to the top when new posts are applied, that makes it VERY difficult to follow what's going on.
    I used to go to a forum and look at the top threads and know EXACTLY what was going on.
    Can't do that anymore.

I don't have all day to sift through tons of pages.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    chohole said:
    tsarist said:

????????????

If the threads don't move to the top when new posts are applied, that makes it VERY difficult to follow what's going on.
    I used to go to a forum and look at the top threads and know EXACTLY what was going on.
    Can't do that anymore.

I don't have all day to sift through tons of pages.
    I think what Cho meant is that has been fixed for a while...probably close to a month.

edited September 2012

No offense, tsarist, but perhaps if you could take another gander.

I popped a champagne cork when order sort was restored. I know, because I had to pay for a new bottle, and I didn't finish the first, and now it's flat. :smirk:

edited September 2012

Pendraia said:
    I think what Cho meant is that has been fixed for a while...probably close to a month.

Holy crap.
    I had been so used to it being screwed up, I stopped even looking at it.

I'm only in here at most a couple days a week since the new site launched.

Post edited by tsarist on
    edited September 2012

tsarist said:
    Holy crap.

LOL! I've been there.

"Hey? When did it stop sucking?" [blank looks]

edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    Pendraia said:

Holy crap.

lol...I can understand, my forum viewing habits have changed and I use view new posts mostly. I wouldn't have noticed except someone started a thread to celebrate IIRC.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    I use view new posts mostly.

You too?
    I have been using that one and I also go to View My Posts.

LOL!

edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    Pendraia said:
    I use view new posts mostly.

You too?
    I have been using that one and I also go to View My Posts.

LOL!

Yep ever since Cho suggested it... ; )

edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    Pendraia said:

Holy crap.

LMAO! This was hilarious read haha! Great to see your issue got sorted (Or was a month ago HAHA!) :cheese:

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    ManStan said:
    probably losing all the weight mapping that makes genesis genesis. {not saying there is one, it's just what I think they are talking about}

Weightmaps aren't what makes Genesis "Genesis"... it is the morphs and how you can combine them to make new creations... the weightmaps dynamically supports how that creation bends when posed.

A bit late getting back to this, but weight mapping is what genesis is all about. Weight mapping is what makes genesis genesis. The mil 4 characters had just as many morphs and did them just as well. Multiple morphs on a single figure is nothing new.

I'll have to completely disagree with you. Weight mapping is a very small part of what makes genesis genesis.

Coldrake

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    ManStan said:
    probably losing all the weight mapping that makes genesis genesis. {not saying there is one, it's just what I think they are talking about}

Weightmaps aren't what makes Genesis "Genesis"... it is the morphs and how you can combine them to make new creations... the weightmaps dynamically supports how that creation bends when posed.

A bit late getting back to this, but weight mapping is what genesis is all about. Weight mapping is what makes genesis genesis. The mil 4 characters had just as many morphs and did them just as well. Multiple morphs on a single figure is nothing new.

No it isn't. A quick way to prove your theory wrong:

Make an extreme morph for M4, load it up, then try to pose it. You'll quickly see without a bunch of correctives, your morph crumples and looks really bad. The weightmapping allows that new morph to look better as you pose it. Thinking weightmapping is the huge reason behind genesis, totally ignoring all the extreme morphs and geografting options currently available for it honestly shows a lack of understanding of what the Genesis system is.

edited December 1969

No it isn't. A quick way to prove your theory wrong:

Make an extreme morph for M4, load it up, then try to pose it. You'll quickly see without a bunch of correctives, your morph crumples and looks really bad. The weightmapping allows that new morph to look better as you pose it. Thinking weightmapping is the huge reason behind genesis, totally ignoring all the extreme morphs and geografting options currently available for it honestly shows a lack of understanding of what the Genesis system is.

I wish someone wouldcome up with a definitive answer about weightmapping and Genesis.
    I found a definition of weightmapping, but it was so complicated I couldn't understand it.
    Here in the forums, one person would explain weightmapping and I would think "oh okay, I understand."
    Before 5 minutes was up, someone else would say "that's not weightmapping, THIS is weightmapping" and I would be confused all over again.
    The same with Genesis.
    One says Genesis is this, the other says no.

I guess until we can get agreed upon definitions, we will have confusion.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:

I wish someone wouldcome up with a definitive answer about weightmapping and Genesis.
    I found a definition of weightmapping, but it was so complicated I couldn't understand it.
    Here in the forums, one person would explain weightmapping and I would think "oh okay, I understand."
    Before 5 minutes was up, someone else would say "that's not weightmapping, THIS is weightmapping" and I would be confused all over again.
    The same with Genesis.
    One says Genesis is this, the other says no.

I guess until we can get agreed upon definitions, we will have confusion.

The thing to remember about Genesis is that it's a system for creating characters from a single base mesh. All the features of genesis are in support of creating those characters. Notice I didn't say it was a system of weightmapping... because it's in support of creating those characters which can be of different scales and mass.

edited December 1969

The thing to remember about Genesis is that it's a system for creating characters from a single base mesh. All the features of genesis are in support of creating those characters. Notice I didn't say it was a system of weightmapping... because it's in support of creating those characters which can be of different scales and mass.

Okay, I think I understand.

Just waiting for the next person to come in, say what you said isn't so, then I can be confused again.

:-)

edited December 1969

LOL any second now.... haha!

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited September 2012

Coldrake said:
    ManStan said:
    ManStan said:

I'll have to completely disagree with you. Weight mapping is a very small part of what makes genesis genesis.

Coldrake

I'm sorry, I have to disagree as well... None of the Gen 4 figures were THIS versatile:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/elebeast
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/chibi-boy-for-genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/toonytigers-tygro-for-genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/beasts-and-brutes
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/toon-amy-for-genesis-character-hair
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/four-arms-for-genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/baby-for-genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/gorilla-for-genesis

Also... all of these characters are for the same figure and can wear the same clothes, textures and hair...and be blended together, too....

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

Thanks! :)
    here she is with a smaller head...lol:

ok...I'm done...I need sleep! :)

...Jasmine, nice work. Your example looks a lot closer to her delicate physique. Did you just use Genesis?

Thanks...Kyoto Kids figure is not bad, but it flows incorrectly, Eg the neck blends incorrectly into the head. The thighs contours are also incorrect, and suffers from the usual ugly v4 bends on elbows and shoulders.

...yeah, Gen4 has issues with bends & such, I already know that. I'm just not in the position to sink a lot of money into Genesis to get what I can already achieve with Steph4 for the purposes of my story. Generation X costs over 30$, Steph5 (base) almost 40$ (for three body shapes, none of which work for my purposes). That's a pretty big outlay on my budget.

...then there's also having to work in "ultra-slo-mo" mode and dealing with UV maps possibly being corrupted because of how poorly 4.5 runs on my system.

...and in the end, I really don't think readers will care very much about such nitpicky issues as they will about how well the story itself flows and holds their interest.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

I think what makes Genesis so special is the lifetime supply of oatmeal cream pies it comes with.... I mean... YOU guys, got that too.... right?

edited September 2012

...y'know I really don't mind the taste of Oatmeal Creme. Actually rather refreshing and good for the complexion.

...woo woo woo!

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited September 2012

Kyoto Kid said:
    Thanks! :)
    here she is with a smaller head...lol:

ok...I'm done...I need sleep! :)

...Jasmine, nice work. Your example looks a lot closer to her delicate physique. Did you just use Genesis?

Yes, hon... Genesis... plus the other shapes shown ( to the right) in that first image. There's a bit of Mavka in there and a bit of V5. Some Toon Amy and a bit of the Basic kid... a few others. I think my girl looks a tad bit older than your Leela, but some more kid would prolly fix that... I really didn't spend more than like 20 minutes on it... I was just kinda trying to show you what was possible. :)

edit:

I went back in and did that actually (turned up the kid dial) and shortened the torso a bit:

4KKnewday04.jpg
    549 x 573 - 47K
    edited December 1969

...a lot of Leela's youthfulness is in her face. I spent a lot of time working the morph dials to get that child like look. The body is actually fairly easy (well since I got Steph4, Tindra and the NPMs). Have Amy, and Jasmin but not Mavka as I already invested so heavily in the original and none of the characters/clothing I have work with the Genesis version as Smay never created a clone figure.

...kind of miffed about that.

At least 3DU created one for Sadie so all of the original characters/clothing will work. The only time I've used 4.for creating a scene was with Toon characters since they place less load on my system.

Still haven't installed the 400M of Genesis Essentials for 4.5 as I pretty much am using the new version for the updated 3Delight as with the .duf format it tends to hose older textures (at least on my system).

...something about being able to render a scene that would take over an hour or more in 3A in less than a third of the time.

edited September 2012

Well, I would def recommend the Genesis Essentials because it includes all of the original content that came with Daz Studio 4.0 in the new .duf format. Many of the new shapes will actually require it from now on.

Experimentation will be the key. I'm sure you can get a similar vision with Toon Amy and Toon Jasmin. :) Also, don't be afraid to select "parts" of Genesis (like her pelvis, for example) and scale them as needed. And as soon as you can, get Victoria 5 ( which has additional breast morphs) and Genesis Starter Bundle ( It has the Genesis Head and Body Morph bundle included). Once you have those, you will definitely find a bit more flexibility.