Question about Shader Spider

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

THe product page says P6 and P7 only. Is this true, will Shader Spider not work in Poser 8 ?

Comments

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

I think it won't work for 2 reasons.
    1) It is compiled and needs to be recompiled for the new python version
    2) There is a difference in handling of strings and value conversions. That might need some code change

I am trying to convert particles 3 (by the same vendor) for PP2012 and the last point is where I am stuck at the moment

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

That is a crying shame, as I am told that Poser 6 will not work in Win 7. I have managed to buy a copy of P8, but I do use Shader Spider all the time, to make my mat poses.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    That is a crying shame, as I am told that Poser 6 will not work in Win 7. I have managed to buy a copy of P8, but I do use Shader Spider all the time, to make my mat poses.

Semidieus Advanced Shaders at RDNA does similar things. (http://www.runtimedna.com/Advanced-Shaders.html)
    It allows you to create partial shaders and works in P8 and above

edited September 2012

I don't want shaders, I want mat poses. I used to use MPE, and then Shader Spider came along, which was much easier and better. I always provide Mat Poses. Then my clever son makes them into settings that will work better in DS. I want my textures to be able to be used on all platforms, although I personally prep all my Bryce imports in Poser.

I actually try not to use to many Poser specific nodes, to make it easier to get stuff into Bryce.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I don't want shaders, I want mat poses.

DId you actually go there?
    It creates MAT poses and material poses. Up to the user to decide which

edited September 2012

Ah sorry. It was just you mentioned shaders. At the moment I am still waiting for the new PC to arrive. I am really not looking forward to changing to Win7 I am so happy with XP

Yes that does look as though it will do what I want, thanks.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited September 2012

Shaders or materials or MAT settings - all different names for the same thing. The product is called Advanced shaders, that's why I used that word
    And even Shader spider uses Shader in its name.....

Windows 7 is much more reliable as XP and has a lot of nice features which XP does not have. But you have to get used to it. But most of the things are pretty much the same and you can customize most of the new features so they won't bother you. At least almost all of it still has the same name...

Post edited by wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 on
  • ravenraven Posts: 14
    edited September 2012

chohole said:

I use PoserPro2012, but I have from P4 up available on my 'puter, and Poser 6 works ok on my Windows 7 install, as does P5, P7, and P8. Poser 4 doesn't play nice on my Windows 7, but if I set it's compatibility to XP sp3 then it runs ok once Windows adjusts itself to turn certain display features off.

Post edited by raven on
    edited December 1969

That will be handy. I am hoping I can use the older versions I am used to. I wouldn't want to go back to P4 or earlier, never got on with P5, despite being an "early adopter" but do like P6, it does what I need it for. I do know all my Bryce versions will work, well again the ones I still use, so Br5 through to Br7.

• ravenraven Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

I will say that all of my Poser installs are not installed on my C: drive, so I don't have any issues with UAC.

edited December 1969

Yes, none of my apps will be installed on the C drive. All my runtimes now are on externals, and on the new machine I have a 2nd HD which will have all the programs on it. Only thing I intend to add to the C drive will be FF, AV malwarebytes and Skype basically.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Ehm ... why don't you just save them as a mc6 in the material room, open in a text editor and do the exchange mtlcollection for figure and save as pz2?
    http://www.poserpedia.com/index.php?title=Converting_mc6_mt5_files_to_pz2_Tutorial

edited December 1969

Thanks Kerya. Shall investigate that as well, once I have things set up on the new machine.

edited December 1969

It's easy, fast ... and free. :)

edited December 1969

Free is always good, especially after what I have already spent on the PC and a newer version of Poser.

edited December 1969

And by the way: I was a very happy XP user too - until this May. Now I am a happy W7 user.
    I just had to kick it to showing file extensions and the like, but I had to do that for XP too.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785
    edited September 2012

ShaderSpider is now open source...

http://code.google.com/p/pw-shaderspider-2-source/

When I first came across it I verified with Dan that it was indeed open source. It lacks the presets of the paid version, but all of the Python code is exposed in a normal Poser Runtime structure.

If you don't wish to mess with SubVersion to get the code tree from Google, it can be downloaded as a zip here (remove the .txt extension after downloading it)...

http://www.runtimedna.com/forum/showthread.php?63173-Poser-9-amp-Poser-Pro-2012-New-Features&p=614424#post614424.

Post edited by WandW on
  • PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Oh, is there a tutorial out for that, I would love to be able to do that, but I am not so good without help:(

edited December 1969

PetraR123 said:
    Kerya said:

Oh, is there a tutorial out for that, I would love to be able to do that, but I am not so good without help:(

Well - I did add a link to a tutorial:
    http://www.poserpedia.com/index.php?title=Converting_mc6_mt5_files_to_pz2_Tutorial

I found a German tutorial too:
    http://www.esha.at/Knowhow/Knowhow_D/Material_D/material_d.html
    Runterscrollen bis zu "Wie kann ich eine mt5 oder mc6-Datei in eine pz2-Matpose umwandeln?"