rotation parameters

srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I feel silly asking such a basic question after all this time, but how are the rotation parameters supposed to be working in DAZ Studio for basic props with no bones?

If I randomly create a primitive and try it, rotation appears to always work in worldspace. However i have another object in another scene where attempted rotation about the Y and Z axes both result in rotateion around the worldspace's Z axis, and I don't know why.

Can one toggle between worldspace and object space somehow and I did it without realizing it, or is there some other factor in play here that's causing this? I feel I'm missing something.

Comments

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

I think if it can help you.

I have tried before hip rotation with object space , then I find it.
    (but it can be rotate by object space when only you rotate by pose tool,, not same with controller I think,,)

local.JPG
    845 x 601 - 136K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

Try this:

Create a primitive
    y-rotate it 90 degrees
    now try the x and z rotations on the Parameters pane - they should do the same.

This is gimbal lock - if you use the middle axis (by the rotation order, a primitive is xyz) and set it to 90 then the other bend axis will be aligned with the twist axis and noth will have the same effect. This why the standard advice, when choosing rotation order for a part, is to put the one that's most likely to hit ninety degrees last so that it can't lock the other two together.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Unless i'm missing something, the tool settings tab appears to allow me to change whether the tool's arrows are displayed aligned along world vs. local coordinates, but doesn't appear to change the slider's effects.

trying some rotations on a primitive, here's what I'm seeing:

The Y rotate and Z rotate parameters rotate the object about the WORLD Y and Z axes.
    The X rotate parameter rotates the object about the OBJECT's X axis.

Because the world and object axes line up, it looks like everything's working normally at first until you start to rotate farther. It doesn't seem to require that the Y be at 90 degrees for me. It's like I'm using two thirds of one coordinate system and one third of the other.

edited December 1969

thaks Richard taught about gimbal rock in ds 4 ,,,

then Sean Riesch , you are right.
    so I said, when only you rotate by pose tool,, not same with controller ^^;

and I am confusing about value of each rotation in parameter.

about bone(node), I can undersatnd well, bend, twist , forward back it rotate
    by their default bone axis,, (they are each axis rotation,,)

anyway I just undersatnd, if select "use World Coordinates (w/Local Rotation) "
    in pose tool, the parameter of controller and the pose tool rotate same way,,
    so I can find easily how gimbal rock happend,

but the roattion is not what I hope so. I hope rocal axis rotate and tool for the rotation.

so I think if there are another input-box for relative rotate obj with their local axis on that time,,
    then validate or apply click,
    it may rotate the other two rocal axis.too.
    so the axis change after you validate, the rotation value.

after that how change the value of controller in ds 4.5
    I did not care about that^^;

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Sorry for the delay, I keep loosing this thread.

Changing between "Use World Coordinates" and "Use Local Coordinates", and always using the Universal Tool to rotate instead of the sliders in the Parameters tab, has been working great. Thanks!

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

trying some rotations on a primitive, here's what I'm seeing:

The Y rotate and Z rotate parameters rotate the object about the WORLD Y and Z axes.
    The X rotate parameter rotates the object about the OBJECT's X axis.

That bit could be a bug.
    What I don't understand is why DS has quaternions and still gives Gimbal lock, as the former were designed to avoid the latter. Evidently the Parameter tab uses Euler's angles?
    edited March 2013

Redave yes,,, :roll:it is what I understand and I feel strange,,today.
    the parameters work as Euler
    it seems no difference,, what cordinate type we select.

(though my special study was bio physics ,I retired college..,
    I understand more how move shaker cause good result for ice and cocktai than Euler,, or Gimbal )

when we rotate something with accuate value,
    in ds,, there seems only one choice.. we can not use universal or rotation tool.
    (which can not input any value, and it can not act with exactly what I decide,
    though it can rotate with the constraint axix)

but it works as Eulers . so that means,, we can not rotate object by world axis
    with correct value. after we rotate something,

it decide,, which rotation I used.
    if I use Z rotate first,, then next Y, next X,, the first Z rotation is only value,,we can decide
    by parameter tab.

if we rotate Y or rotate X by rotation tool,, it change other rotation value in parameter tab too.

I understand,, other 3d tool may use Eular with rocal rotation,,
    but if I use world cordinate,, usually we can free rotate with axis what we choose,,,
    or they provide other way..I think.

Post edited by kitakoredaz on