tons of emails - I am aaaaaaaaaaaaangry

cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
edited December 1969 in The Commons

hello,

I get tons of emails from the forum just because someone has posted something to the forum, I haven`t enabled any notification and I don`t want to be notifed that someone has posted something.

so daz do something

Comments

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Disable notifications in your control panel.

It's dumb, but it's the default setting to send them.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

as I have written above, I had no notification enabled.

but probably I have found "my" mistake. It was the subscription to threads, I have unsubscribed these two threads I have subscribed to (can`t remember that I have) and now let`s see what will happen.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited June 2012

cosmo71 said:
    as I have written above, I had no notification enabled.

but probably I have found "my" mistake. It was the subscription to threads, I have unsubscribed these two threads I have subscribed to (can`t remember that I have) and now let`s see what will happen.

It's the default setting. You don't enable default settings - you disable them if you don't like them. As you say you just did ;-)

Post edited by Sockratease on
  • T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited June 2012

cosmo71 said:
    I have unsubscribed these two threads I have subscribed to (can`t remember that I have)

You get subscribed when you post, unless you shut that off in control panel.

Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2012

Yup. make sure you have found this page in your account profile, and then unclick boxes

Accept email from other members of this site
    Enable email notifications by default when you post messages
    Notify me via email when someone sends me a private message
    Enable Smart Notification

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

Well, please don't untick the Accept email from site administrators option.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yeah, sorry I should heve been more specific. In Cosmo's case he needs to just untick the

Enable email notifications by default when you post messages box, and maybe the Enable Smart Notification
    box, but I am not quite certain what that one actually dooes,

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

As I understand it, Smart Notification sends an email for the first reply to a thread and then waits until you visit. Non-smart notification sends an email for every reply.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

Well, please don't untick the Accept email from site administrators option.

why do they have that option then?
    (I haven't chosen it btw)
  • edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yeah, sorry I should heve been more specific. In Cosmo's case he needs to just untick the

Enable email notifications by default when you post messages box, and maybe the Enable Smart Notification
    box, but I am not quite certain what that one actually dooes,

It's just untick the Enable email notifications by default when you post messages that will stop the emails. It's the one that automatically sends emails whenever there's a reply to any thread one has posted on. By unticking it in the Control Panel, the option box at the bottom of the reply, which would be ticked as a default, Notify me via email when someone posts in this thread, becomes unticked.

If one doesn't want to receive site email, the boxes to untick in the control panel would be:

Accept email from other members of this site
    Enable email notifications by default when you post messages
    Notify me via email when someone sends me a private message

The Accept email from site administrators & Enable Smart Notification, if you are subscribed to a specific thread, should remain ticked. Like Richard said, the Smart Notification would send out one email notifying of activity in a subscribed thread.