How to move a light around in DS4.5P? (Resolved)

edited September 2012 in New Users

I have an indoor scene and I'm trying to use a light presets, Lantios's Fashion light set. Anyway, the problem is the walls of the building are blocking the light, but when I go to the parameters and try to move it via the x-translate, etc., nothing noticeable happens. When I try to look at it through the viewport like I would a camera, and then scroll in to move it that way, nothing happens. I'm using the latest stable version of DS4.5P.

Are these lights anchored to something? Is it possible to move them?

I'm sure it's one of those obvious things I just can't figure out. Thanks in advance.

Post edited by aprilsunshine7_4526d47d74 on

Comments

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

If you are using "Distant Lights" it will do no good to move them.
    Their origin always remains at infinity (not affected by inverse square law, BTW)
    You can move the physical location of other types of lights, like spot, point, etc.

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know of any go-to lighting packs for character renders inside buildings?

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

I can make no recommendation on pre-done lights.
    Lighting is so important that it is one of the first things you should learn.
    In real world terms, if you have no light, you cannot see anything.
    Granted, there is a default ambient lighting in DS if you have no other sources, but it is only useful for setting up and does not make for the full potential of a scene.

There are many tutorials and books concerned solely with lighting.
    You can use ones for photography, because principle is same and you are effectively taking a picture through a virtual camera when you render

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

If you're having problems with bits of your scenery blocking lights, one thing you can try is selecting each piece of model that's in the way, go to the Parameters tab, and switch off "Cast Shadows".

There are limits to this trick, though. It depends on how the problem scenery is built — if you need only certain walls made "see-through" to the lights, are they independently selectable, or is the whole thing one big prop? You also need to watch out for other things on the wall, e.g. window frames, light switches, etc. Are they part of the wall, or independent parts of the whole scenery model? Will they need to have "cast shadows" turned off as well?

• edited December 1969

Thanks. I agree on learning how to do lighting myself. One thing at a time for me, though. Right now I'm focusing on learning about materials and the different settings in the surfaces tab. But both are important.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Is that wall needed in the scene? Is it an individual piece or is it a 'box'?

• edited December 1969

If you're having problems with bits of your scenery blocking lights, one thing you can try is selecting each piece of model that's in the way, go to the Parameters tab, and switch off "Cast Shadows".

There are limits to this trick, though. It depends on how the problem scenery is built — if you need only certain walls made "see-through" to the lights, are they independently selectable, or is the whole thing one big prop? You also need to watch out for other things on the wall, e.g. window frames, light switches, etc. Are they part of the wall, or independent parts of the whole scenery model? Will they need to have "cast shadows" turned off as well?

I have to go in and check if it's all in one piece. I'm not on my own computer right now, but all of you have given me some great information. I wouldn't have thought of taking the "cast shadows" off. Brilliant! And since I'm only using one wall, I can see if I can make transparent the other walls.

Thanks so much for your help, mjc1016, SpottedKitty, and Medzin!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

Post REMOVED by user. DUH moment.

Post edited by Jaderail on