Apps or Zips

frodifrodi Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I finally decided to try and dl DAZ/Studio 4.5. I had not done so before as Kaspersky won't allow exe. extensions. I know I could turn it off, however, after a major virus infection (yes, I did have Microsoft Security Essentials on, but the virus installed itself in MSE and ruined my pc), I am rather reluctant to do so. So I got a big surprise when DAZ/Studio 4.5 did not have the exe, but a Zip to download. I have not dl'd any genesis updates, as I am not sure if they also are Zips now.

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

Not everything has been transferred to zips yet.

• frodifrodi Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi Frank, "not everything", so how does one know which ones have been transferred, and will all previous stuff be zipped also?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

We don't know. We only find out when we purchase something and it has a zip available in stead of a exe.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

New content is still being released as installers. A lot of older content with Mac installers which don't work on current Macs was converted to .zips -- see my sig for my thread listing known products currently in zips.

Ultimately everything will be in zips, but only when DAZ 3D is ready to release the optional Install Manager for those who prefer installers.

edited December 1969

Thanks mike, so the zips are for Macs only, which I don't have. I shall wait.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

frodi said:
    Thanks mike, so the zips are for Macs only, which I don't have. I shall wait.

No, the zips are not only for Mac. They are for PC too. From things I bought, mostly older clothing for generation 3 figures (A3, H3 etc.) is in zips now.

edited December 1969

Oh, thanks for that Proxi, I shall have a look at the updates and see if they are in zips.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    edited September 2012

Filenames for the new universal (PC & Mac) zip files always start with "IM", the Mac-only files usually have "Mac" somewhere in the name. See attached screenshot - universal zips are marked green, Mac zips yellow:

zips.jpg
    371 x 609 - 105K
    Post edited by Taoz on
    edited December 1969

Interesting Taozen, I have not seen those as yet.

edited December 1969

I fired up DAZ Studio 4.5 and find a totally different layout. That is no problem, but the rendering is a pain. I don't seem to be able to render the whole scene, only the middle bit. What to do?

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,431
    edited December 1969

If I correctly understand your description of the problem, you need to adjust the dimensions in Render Settings.

edited September 2012

I am not sure. When I open Studio I get genesis in a narrow frame, superimposed on the screenlayout. Why does Studio load like that? I found a way to show all of genesis, but when I render it again it only shows the scene in a narrow frame. I looked at the render settings, but there is nothing in there to enlighten me.

Post edited by frodi on
    edited September 2012

frodi said:
    Interesting Taozen, I have not seen those as yet.

Well they are converting the oldest files first, so currently you'll only see them if you buy or reset some of the older stuff.

New stuff is still being released using the installers instead of the new universal zip format. I assume it's because they convert the files in chronological order according to release date.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Actually the main reason for the older files being converted is because of Mac Uusers not being able to use the older installers any longer.

THe new format zips, which cater to both packages have IM at the front of the zip name.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Actually the main reason for the older files being converted is because of Mac Uusers not being able to use the older installers any longer.

OK, that makes sense.