New Release: DWD: Dystopian Worker Drone [Commercial]

Moebius87Moebius87 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Just in case you didn't know... the Dystopian Worker Drone (DWD) has just been released!

A rugged and reliable worker unit, that is both versatile as it is durable. Designed for heavy labor in just about any sort of environment, the DWD will keep working until its next maintenance cycle... or it decides to run amok. :red:

Cheers! — Möe

Comments

• Moebius87Moebius87 Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

Here are a few renders testing the range of motion of the DWD. This is render done by deci6el (donski).

Cheers! — Möe

squat5_Industrial3.jpg
    650 x 577 - 99K
    Squat5.jpg
    650 x 650 - 103K
    Squat5Comp5.jpg
    640 x 387 - 77K
    Post edited by Moebius87 on
    edited December 1969

The DWD does require some assembly out of the box, but the unit parts are well coded and the DIY instructions are very clear. ;-P Again, these renders were done by deci6el (donski).

Cheers! — Möe

PartsForumSize0.jpg
    640 x 385 - 75K
    PartsComp3Lo.jpg
    640 x 299 - 70K
  • JollyFatherJollyFather Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

FINALLY!!!!!

Very nice. Very very nice. And these definitely are the Droids I was looking for!

Regards,

JF

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,532
    edited December 1969

Looks cool. As always.

edited December 1969

It's been a long while in development, but I am really happy that deci6el (donski) was able to get it out of deep freeze, work on it and get it done.

I'll post more images later on. :-)

Cheers! — Möe

• decibeldecibel Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

Just a reminder:

The Dweed looks good at different scales too. They don't all have to be the same size. :coolsmile:

This is still shot from an animation currently undergoing edits. Will post when I get some of the kinks out of it.

dz_PrisonerSeven.jpg
    900 x 450 - 201K
  • kastawaykastaway Posts: 9
    edited September 2012

Great work guys! The Dweed textures are terrific! Thanks for making DS-specific versions of the materials and not requiring DS4 to use them. Of course the robot is well-built and well-designed, which is something I always expect from any Team Dystopia product. I think the interchangeable heads are a good idea. If a different head is desired after it's already been posed, it can be swapped with a simple click of the mouse. I also like that the legs are available as a separate figure. I've already thought of several fun things to do with them... :-) Here are my first few renders using the Dweed. Not the greatest renders, but I hope people find them amusing anyway.

A_Off_To_Work_We_Go.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 203K
    Deer_Robot.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 245K
    Post edited by kastaway on
    edited September 2012

Here's a couple more renders showing some different uses for the leg figures. The first is a Goliath-Dweed hybrid that has apparently run amok as Möe foretold... :coolsmile: The second shows an alternate method of locomotion for one of my favorite freebies. :)

A_Goliath_Dweed_Running_Amok.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 264K
    TXE_Running.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 216K
    Post edited by kastaway on
    edited September 2012

kastaway said:
    Great work guys! The Dweed textures are terrific! Thanks for making DS-specific versions of the materials and not requiring DS4 to use them. Of course the robot is well-built and well-designed, which is something I always expect from any Team Dystopia product. I think the interchangeable heads are a good idea. If a different head is desired after it's already been posed, it can be swapped with a simple click of the mouse. I also like that the legs are available as a separate figure. I've already thought of several fun things to do with them... :-) Here are my first few renders using the Dweed. Not the greatest renders, but I hope people find them amusing anyway.

Hehehehe!

They're carrying lunch boxes! Worker drones indeed, but what could they possibly be carrying in those?

Really struggling with the one with the deer... very anachronistic take on an idyllic scene. I like it, but I just don't understand it... don't worry though... that's just me being dense and analytical. :-) I also didn't realize in the range of motion that the DWD would be able to point his toes like that.

Cheers! — Möe

edited December 1969

kastaway said:
    Here's a couple more renders showing some different uses for the leg figures. The first is a Goliath-Dweed hybrid that has apparently run amok as Möe foretold... :coolsmile: The second shows an alternate method of locomotion for one of my favorite freebies. :)

I knew that we had flexibility built into our basic design for the DWD, but I honestly did not anticipate this. I am always astonished and delighted at the level of talent you bring to the art of kit-bashing. :-) These are funny!

The Goliath now has legs... and it's become some strange city killing mega-robot! LOL! The TXE has transmogrified from a hover vehicle to an odd cyberpunk sort of palanquin. Great stuff... your sense of humor always gives my day a really positive spin. Thank you for sharing these here!

Cheers! — Möe

edited December 1969

Kastaway,

Ditto what Moe said.
    Really great to see you jump into the character the way we hoped people would. Fun for me to see him doing something new. The Sedan-chair was definitely one I didn't see coming. lol

And while I definitely envisioned the Attack of the 500 ft Dweed, I didn't anticipate the Goliath/Antenna version. Kooky! Plus I was glad to see a TraffiKop going down in flames. ; )

Thanks for the feedback and posting your pics.

deci6el

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

The 'Eat at Feng's' is a freebie? Do you have link?

• ZaarinZaarin Posts: 356
    edited December 1969

I love this! I have a render, but I'm thinking of entering it in a contest so I can't share just yet. ;) I look forward to add-ons. :D

edited December 1969

When the contest is over and you're free to share, please do post a link in here to your render, Zaarin. :-)

Cheers! — Möe

edited September 2012

Gedd said:

The TXE vehicle is a freebie available only at the Team-Dystopia forums... and it is buried in the Treasury over there... where direct links aren't allowed (only because we use the freebie items to generate interest in our forums).

If you do manage to get through all the bureaucratic red tape typical of any oppressive dystopic authoritarian regime the TXE Stand is also a free item there.

Cheers! — Möe

P.S. — If you have any trouble getting in just say that the "supreme chancellor" sent you. It doesn't make things much easier though, because it flags you as a conformist by the resistance movement... and you'll have to watch out for them on your own.

edited December 1969

Here are a couple more test renders by deci6el (donski). They're excellent tests for the figure's range of motion. :-)

Cheers! — Möe

AnkleGoal_Jump.jpg
    650 x 217 - 105K
    Pz8_IK4-walkcomp2.jpg
    640 x 235 - 62K
    edited December 1969

Moebius87 said:
    Hehehehe!

They're carrying lunch boxes! Worker drones indeed, but what could they possibly be carrying in those?
    I let one lunch box fall open, but unfortunately the details are too far away to see in the picture. In this case, the DWD is carrying a thermos full of oil, an additional can of spray lubricant, a jar of spare nuts and bolts (just in case) and a rag for wiping off visual sensors or a faceplate. I know, that would probably make it more of a toolbox, but I just had to use lunch boxes. :) Their metallic heads and the "worker" part of their name made me think of men in hard hats on their way to work in the mines or a factory and the lunch boxes just seemed to fit.

Really struggling with the one with the deer... very anachronistic take on an idyllic scene. I like it, but I just don't understand it... don't worry though... that's just me being dense and analytical. :-) I also didn't realize in the range of motion that the DWD would be able to point his toes like that.

Essentially, this is yet another robot that has run amok but in a gentle way. I can't even take complete credit for the image as it was inspired by a story from a very old Twilight Zone comic book. In the story, a robot is receiving too many orders from multiple people at the same time. It overloads his circuits. So he runs away and finally ends up in the woods surrounded by friendly animals and no longer has to take orders from anyone. While that's not exactly the idea I presented, my image does have some elements in common with the last panel of the comic.

As far as the feet are concerned, I thought that I had needed to adjust the limits to get the feet to lay flat, but I just checked again and as far as I can tell, I'm using the original limits. It seems the DWD is so flexible it could probably do yoga exercises. :-)

edited December 1969

Moebius87 said:
    kastaway said:

I knew that we had flexibility built into our basic design for the DWD, but I honestly did not anticipate this. I am always astonished and delighted at the level of talent you bring to the art of kit-bashing. :-) These are funny!

The Goliath now has legs... and it's become some strange city killing mega-robot! LOL! The TXE has transmogrified from a hover vehicle to an odd cyberpunk sort of palanquin. Great stuff... your sense of humor always gives my day a really positive spin. Thank you for sharing these here!
    Thanks very much for the nice comments!

With the number of separate figures provided with the DWD, it's really already well set up for kit-bashing! I just discovered that the separate hands/claws can easily be used on a human figure. This should be fun... ;-)

edited December 1969

deci6el said:

Ditto what Moe said.
    Really great to see you jump into the character the way we hoped people would. Fun for me to see him doing something new. The Sedan-chair was definitely one I didn't see coming. lol

And while I definitely envisioned the Attack of the 500 ft Dweed, I didn't anticipate the Goliath/Antenna version. Kooky! Plus I was glad to see a TraffiKop going down in flames. ; )

Thanks for the feedback and posting your pics.

Thanks! I'm glad you liked the pics. I've been looking forward to the DWD's release ever since I saw him in the Team Dystopia forums. I didn't really expect the completed product to be released in time for the PA sales, but I'm so glad that it was. :-)

I probably should have used a whole swarm of TraffiKops! They could have been buzzing around the Goliath-Dweed much like those old movies with King Kong and the planes surrounding him as he climbed a building. Oh, well, so many ideas, so little time...

edited September 2012

I have to do this... promoting the product without showing off the detail of textures and the level of design would be negligent. We're looking at a well designed worker drone unit that has a very versatile and quite a functional hand/claw design.

Here are some detailed renders, again by deci6el (donski) showing the basic hand's ability to grasp and to grip.

Cheers! — Möe

Hand_Review_02.jpg
    650 x 650 - 217K
    Hand_Review_01.jpg
    650 x 650 - 243K
    edited September 2012

Not sure if you've noticed this already, but also shown below is the "sensor" located at the "palm" which allows the DWD to better "see" what it is holding or manipulating. It pretty much makes the challenge of hand-eye coordination insignificant, when you've got an "eye" on your hand. Again, these brilliant renders were done by deci6el (donski).

Sorry, I had to separate the posts, but I haven't figured out how to upload attachments and get them into a sequential order. I figured that if I split them into image pairs it would be less confusing.

Cheers! — Möe

Hand_Review_04.jpg
    650 x 650 - 94K
    Hand_Review_03.jpg
    650 x 650 - 90K
  • ZaarinZaarin Posts: 356
    edited December 1969

Moebius87 said:
    When the contest is over and you're free to share, please do post a link in here to your render, Zaarin. :-)

Cheers! — Möe

Will do! :)
    edited December 1969

kastaway said:

I probably should have used a whole swarm of TraffiKops! They could have been buzzing around the Goliath-Dweed much like those old movies with King Kong and the planes surrounding him as he climbed a building. Oh, well, so many ideas, so little time...

So true. Here is a quickie that I posted @ T-D to announce that the launch of the DWD had begun. I didn't have time for swarms of TraffiKops either. : (

http://youtu.be/iDds6AuMj-w

Out2Launch.jpg
    860 x 265 - 169K
  • jaunke_29fff27795jaunke_29fff27795 Posts: 144
    edited December 1969

Hello, first let me say that i love your bots :) !

Now the bad news :down:, Dweed B and C crashes DS4.5 (latest beta).
    When i try to load the seperat parts it crashes Studio, and the unity B and C load without a neck.

Anybody else having these issues, or is it personal :cheese:.

Grtz Jean-Claude

DWD_B_C.png
    1125 x 900 - 642K
    edited December 1969

Jean-Claude,

Very sorry to hear that and thanks for letting me know.
    Right now, at midnight in my world-timezone, I have only tested the DWD in DS3 and DS4 because thats what existed during our development. I have 4.5 but haven't installed as yet. Off the top, I can't think of why it would spit the dummy for that configuration. I would have imagined that QA would have tested it in 4.5 but I can't say officially.

I will load 4.5 and see what happens. Sorry for the inconvenience but good to hear the alert.

deci6el

edited September 2012

No worries! Could well be a 4.5 beta issue.

Lets hope there's a fix for it. And thank you for the reply :).

And a good night to you. :cheese:

Grtz Jean-Claude

Edit: Post my render

A little cleaning job!?

LittleCleaningJob.png
    1600 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by jaunke_29fff27795 on
    edited December 1969

Ooo... I am really liking this one!

Nice wet surfaces, great haze and a very low point of view with a wide angle lens and a nice cinema ratio to the image. I also like how you've cascaded the three DWD figures, from left-to-right and into the distance... really pulls the viewer in. The only critique I have is the positioning of the broom the foreground figure is holding. Because it's set perpendicular to the ground plane it's a bit difficult to identify right away. If you had it diagonally upright, like the DWD was in the middle of sweeping, it would be more recognizable... even more clever if you angled it in such a way to reinforce the perspective distortion from the wide angle lens.

This tells a pretty good story... almost like you're inviting us to join the clean-up crew as obviously only three DWD's won't be enough to clear out all the rubble and debris.

One thing I did notice though is that everyone seems to prefer Head Type C over the others.

Thank you for sharing!

Cheers! — Möe

edited December 1969

:red: thanks.

Would have placed the 3 different DWD's, but B and C didn't want to work along. So it's all DWD A's here.
    I love them!!

Thanks for the kind words and 'critique'! :)

Grtz Jean-Claude

edited December 1969

Early on in development several years ago (when I had most of the torso done, but only one arm), I decided to do a test animation for the arm and hand. I wanted to demonstrate the range of motion and the ability for these "claws" to grip tiny delicate objects. Obviously the fly in this animation would most likely not survive this grip, but that's one of the reasons why we do animations.

Here is the link to that early test animation. Please excuse the poor timing.

Cheers! — Möe

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

Moebius87 said:
    Gedd said:

The TXE vehicle is a freebie available only at the Team-Dystopia forums...

tyvm :)