WIP THREAD for September NEW USERS CONTEST

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Darn good example Evil. Me like much, very moody.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I played with the lights a lot, wasn't sure how murky it would look. Everybody's monitor gamma is different, so it was a bit of risk.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

(and welcome back, Szark! :) )

Thank you. :coolcheese:
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Some toys for children :)

kids_props_bew.jpg
    800 x 600 - 250K
  • edited December 1969

First render of a new project, still a lot to do.

Would anyone know how I could create a heat shimmer effect in Daz Studio 4.5, I think it would make the forge look great.

For the light in the forge I used three linear point lights in the same position with different colours, fall offs and intensity's to create a gradient like effect, which I think works well.

The pose needs a lot of work and any tips would be most welcome.

forge1.jpg
    800 x 677 - 285K
  • gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

hi i could not get the last contest right in time DOF so im going to try this one, can anyone tell me if the left shoulder looks fine to you
    this one is titled the making of a room mate

thank you

the_making_of_a_roommate.jpg
    800 x 800 - 347K
    Post edited by gp139 on
    edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    First render of a new project, still a lot to do.

Would anyone know how I could create a heat shimmer effect in Daz Studio 4.5, I think it would make the forge look great.

For the light in the forge I used three linear point lights in the same position with different colours, fall offs and intensity's to create a gradient like effect, which I think works well.

The pose needs a lot of work and any tips would be most welcome.

Do you have refraction in D/S 4.5? What types of primitives do you have? I think I know how I would do it in Carrara, but I don't know the functions in D/S 4.5

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply evilproducer but I doubt that I will get to finish it in time. The HDD on my main computer decided to die on me yesterday taking all my Daz content and installation with it.

I know I should have had a back-up for it but the PC is only a month old and I was waiting to get everything just how I like it before taking an image.

At least I still have my laptop to play with but its not much use for DAZ as it gets really hot just doing a medium quality render.

edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    Thanks for the reply evilproducer but I doubt that I will get to finish it in time. The HDD on my main computer decided to die on me yesterday taking all my Daz content and installation with it.

I know I should have had a back-up for it but the PC is only a month old and I was waiting to get everything just how I like it before taking an image.

At least I still have my laptop to play with but its not much use for DAZ as it gets really hot just doing a medium quality render.

Man, that blows. Only a month old?!? Hopefully you still have a warranty. I know it won't cover data recovery, but hopefully the hardware expense.

edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    Some toys for children :)

Nice use of the kids. Yours is one of the few images I've seen using them that they don't seem creepy. I think you did a great job on the poses. The shadows seem pretty dark, but otherwise looks great.

edited December 1969

hi i could not get the last contest right in time DOF so im going to try this one, can anyone tell me if the left shoulder looks fine to you

thank you

a late awnser.
    Youre left shoulder looks good to me.
    edited December 1969

evilproducer thank you.

• gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thanks sasje for a while i thought i was forgoten

edited December 1969

thank you

BIG OL' OPPS!!! Sorry! I see nothing wrong. Maybe work on the lights some just a tad dark.
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Good work so far, everyone! Dune411412, the shoulder looks fine to me.

I've been lurking and brainstorming, and I'm now ready to put something together. The commercial-use-only thing threw me for a loop, because I was planning to use some noncommercial-use freebies, but I've found a solution that isn't too expensive...

• edited December 1969

Thought I would go with something completely different to my first entry.

What do you think?

guitarChick.jpg
    800 x 730 - 121K
    edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    Thought I would go with something completely different to my first entry.

What do you think?

Great work, excellent :-)
  • edited December 1969

Thankyou Sasje

• edited December 1969

Made a few changes, tried to make the right arm less awkward and give the singer a bit more emotion.

folkSinger.jpg
    800 x 730 - 402K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Looking really good.

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

As far as positioning is concerned, I tend to add at least three cameras to a new scene and swap between them for selecting different angles for posing something.

The picture is an unfinished tongue in cheek homage to early 90s comics and it's simply titled Xtreme!. The fingers weren't quite as hard as I was expecting. The real nightmare came from that ammo belt. Gonna adjust the lighting some and I'll probably retexture the clothes to something more comic style or at the very least I'll pick something with better contrast to the background. Any suggestions?

Xtreme.jpg
    850 x 800 - 95K
    edited December 1969

I think you're off to a great start. I have a couple thoughts: The big gun seems as if it should be two handed due to it's extreme size. I think to get the comic vibe a low camera angle would look more true to form. The lighting needs to be a bit more dramatic, but may be easier to set when you find the camera angle that you want.

edited December 1969

The lower angle does seem to work better for the image. As far as the gun, it's more based off of a specific era of comics so unrealistically huge is part of the feel. Just wish I knew of a good pouch belt.

edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:
    As far as positioning is concerned, I tend to add at least three cameras to a new scene and swap between them for selecting different angles for posing something.

The picture is an unfinished tongue in cheek homage to early 90s comics and it's simply titled Xtreme!. The fingers weren't quite as hard as I was expecting. The real nightmare came from that ammo belt. Gonna adjust the lighting some and I'll probably retexture the clothes to something more comic style or at the very least I'll pick something with better contrast to the background. Any suggestions?

You’re figure looks very good with all those props, good work.
    Only I miss something in the back, in my eyes it’s a little bit empty.
    Otherwise good work. :-)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

bluemoon: I think this turned out well.

ZamuelNow: Maybe she needs some unrealistically huge muscles to go with the gun? For the pouch I was going to recommend Percy, but it looks like she's wearing it already. :) Don't know of a better one, unfortunately. The pose looks good...looking forward to seeing that lower camera angle.

edited December 1969

I'm a little amazed at this months contest. I just looked over lots of it and noticed just how few questions were about the hard parts of posing a prop in the hand. And all the renders are posed so well prop wise. Great work everyone. Keep it up the month is all most over.

edited December 1969

ZamuelNow: Maybe she needs some unrealistically huge muscles to go with the gun?

Well, all things considered it would probably be more fitting the era for female characters if I made her waist pencil thin but my brain won't allow me to do that. I think I will dial the arms up a little, though.

edited December 1969

I do believe we are ready for truth, justice, and shooting wildly while snarling at friend and foe alike.

XTREME!!!

Xtreme_2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 88K
  • BrotherloboBrotherlobo Posts: 495
    edited December 1969

Title: Dark Hunter

At the beginning of the month we were discussing posing 'muzzle flashes' onto the weapons. Due to RL concerning, I've put a lot of my experimentation on the back burning. I've still been working on it here and there; not super thrilled with it but its progressing. Looking for some input on this rendering. Thanks.

Dark_Hunter_1.jpg
    1210 x 680 - 445K
    edited December 1969

You might want to work on positioning. Not because the actual positioning is bad (it looks very good) but because you need to find a spot where the guns have better contrast with the wall so they stand out more. Perhaps altering the texture or using a different metal shader could work as well.