Star Trek Builders Thread!

Comments

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,040
    edited December 1969

So that would be one vote for the left side, correct?

David

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited December 1969

Yep
    unless you can lower the bangs on the curls a wee bit

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

I need some input please. My captain lost her hair in the current storyline and is currently growing it back. I'm debating between 2 hairstyles. Comments?

David

Neither. Too much hair. Think buzz cut growing out ... can't do a thing with it until it's fairly long to style it.
    Styling involves cutting it short again.
    So very short, either thick or a lot of thin hair ... thick hair can be curled easier, thin hair is straight, doesn't hold a curl or colour well. Or short and wavy indicating curls may be coming. Possibly reference photos - Demi Moore from her G.I. Jane days.

• MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

Eventually the first, but like Patience55 said, a decent skull cap in the interim is a good idea. Many hair styles (if not all) have a skull cap mat and can be made that buzz cut simply by turning the opacity down on all the other mats...

• crownlioncrownlion Posts: 117
    edited December 1969

trying to find a good explosion prop?

fire.jpg
    700 x 700 - 253K
  • ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

One can never have too many explosion props. I bet with a proper displacement map, that would look even better than it does now.

edited December 1969

If she has to grow it back, I like the curly style. But I agree with the staff sergeant: why does she need to grow it back?

(My own lady has asked me to shave her head tonight; she's losing hair due to chemo therapy, and doesn't want to look straggly and patchy. So for me, it's not entirely an academic question.)

• MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

Thalek said:
    If she has to grow it back, I like the curly style. But I agree with the staff sergeant: why does she need to grow it back?

(My own lady has asked me to shave her head tonight; she's losing hair due to chemo therapy, and doesn't want to look straggly and patchy. So for me, it's not entirely an academic question.)

Are you shaving yours too? Solidarity man!

I've lost over thirty people to Cancer in the past six years, but more then that have gone into remission. Keep the faith.

edited December 1969

I've offered to, so I guess it's up to her. :-)

Fortunately, this chemo is more a preventative maintenance thing than anything else. Tumor's already been removed, and it was completely self-contained within the excised portion. Lymph nodes were uninvolved. But this is recommended to prevent it from coming back. (If it did, it would be the third time.)

I've lost some to cancer, too, if not such overwhelming numbers. Lost my third wife to breast cancer.

Fortunately, by McCoy's time, there's a shot for that. (Bringing the thread back on-topic. [grin])

edited September 2012

Thalek said:
    One can never have too many explosion props. I bet with a proper displacement map, that would look even better than it does now.

If the sphere is high poly then yes a displacement map can be effective ... also could use a transparency map [shades of grey to vary the %].

Why grow hair back? Maybe she'd be confused with the Deltans, could be problem lol ...

Post edited by patience55 on
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    Thalek said:

If the sphere is high poly then yes a displacement map can be effective ... also could use a transparency map [shades of grey to vary the %].

Why grow hair back? Maybe she'd be confused with the Deltans, could be problem lol ...

Well, being confused for a Deltan could improve her dating life.

Yes and no. There was something about "vows of celibacy" ;-)

One 'set' of insignia badges is basically done. What's left to do is fix up the textures some, tweak a few settings ...
    Works in Poser7 :-) D/S3 :-) Hexagon :-) [should therefore also work in the more recent versions of either Poser or D/S AFAIK]

Not in any particular order ...

wip.png
    600 x 600 - 103K
    edited September 2012
    edited December 1969

OK, getting back to the hair question. Some time has lapsed since when the Captain lost her hair and when we see her again. I would say possibly 1-3 months have passed. I'm leaning more to the one to the left as I think it looks better. Not sure bout the one on the right. So far I have 2 votes for the left not counting my own. Any other votes?

David

• rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited December 1969

I liked the one on the Right (the curly top).

OK, questions:
    As you seen I've been working on my TOS/TNG conversion. I'm going off Spikes Star Trek page (http://www.st-spike.org/index.html) for uniform info (See below). Do you think under TOS yellow helm includes Conn too? So inTNG you would have Chekov & Sulu in red? Was Uhura was Engineering or Security? Wasn't the teal color in TNG Science?

TOS
    Gold (Yellow): Command, Helm - Kirk, Chekov, Sulu
    Red: Engineering, Security - Scotty, Uhura
    Blue: Science, Medical - Spock, McCoy

TNG:
    Gold (Yellow): Engineering, Security - Scotty, Uhura
    Red: Command, CONN - Kirk, Chekov, Sulu

Any thoughts?

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 619
    edited September 2012

crownlion said:
    trying to find a good explosion prop?

I'm looking at that picture & can only think "Scotty could've prevented this from happening..."

Pretty good coloration! I can almost see this as a microsecond snapshot of the initial plasma ball forming after the antimatter core has detonated an instant before the ship is ripped apart--sort of how Q might look upon the event...and then think, "Scotty could've prevented this from happening..."

I like the prop Patience pointed out--definitely some great potential stuff in that!

Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
    edited December 1969

OK, getting back to the hair question. Some time has lapsed since when the Captain lost her hair and when we see her again. I would say possibly 1-3 months have passed. I'm leaning more to the one to the left as I think it looks better. Not sure bout the one on the right. So far I have 2 votes for the left not counting my own. Any other votes?

David

I voted for the curly hair, which I believe was on the right.

edited December 1969

Rduda said:

OK, questions:
    As you seen I've been working on my TOS/TNG conversion. I'm going off Spikes Star Trek page (http://www.st-spike.org/index.html) for uniform info (See below). Do you think under TOS yellow helm includes Conn too? So inTNG you would have Chekov & Sulu in red? Was Uhura was Engineering or Security? Wasn't the teal color in TNG Science?

TOS

TNG:

Any thoughts?

Navigation usually wore gold, so Chekov would wear red in TNG. IMO.

I think in the old Franz Joseph Tech Manual, red was "Starship Services", a nice phrase for "miscellaneous". Security and Engineering got lumped under it. Given that Uhura had been known to fix her own panels, I'd say she was probably in Engineering.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,248
    edited December 1969

David

I think something like Ysaris hair would work for that.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/ysaris-hair

edited December 1969

Thalek said:

David

I voted for the curly hair, which I believe was on the right.

Ok, I stand corrected. That's 2 votes left and 1 vote right.

edited September 2012

Whatever you can do with 1/4 of an inch to 1 1/2 inches should be fine.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061017220405AAkuf26

I also like the curly but it's too long for given time frame. Might be an option to shorten it on the parameters tab.

edit to add: unless of course you want to go with a wig for her, in which case it doesn't matter ;-)
    My neighbour cut ALL her hair off during the summer heat wave. She goes around wearing a long very light weight scarf now. It's been about a month now, no noticeable hair on head.

@ all there's a new hair in PC
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/platinum-club-items/k-nicky-hair

edited December 1969

Ok, I stand corrected. That's 2 votes left and 1 vote right.

Actually, you missed RDuda's vote, too. I think that so far, it's two and two.

Patience is right: without some kind of wundertech, her hair is not going to be nearly that long in that time phrase.

• Porthos1Porthos1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Is WERTS Cardassian morph available anywhere? I have all his others and thought I dl the Cardassian! :(

• MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

no, i wish they where, i didnt get any of his star trek morphs, and i would love to have them :(

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,248
    edited December 1969

Rduda said:

OK, questions:

TOS

TNG:

Any thoughts?

sounds right to me, though you could cheap and put Uhura in red if you wanted. She did appear in a gold tunic for an episode or two.

if you're using Genesis, Pure Wild hair is a good match. http://www.daz3d.com/shop/pure-hair-wild

edited December 1969

Patience's prop works really good

excalibur under attack

fire.jpg
    700 x 700 - 262K
    edited December 1969

Nice work! How did you make the beam, if I may ask?

edited December 1969

Georgehaze’s Assault Phaser PhaserFX

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=Georgehaze

i was playing around with one day and thought it looked really cool

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 619
    edited December 1969

crownlion said:
    Patience's prop works really good

excalibur under attack

Oh, I LIKE THAT!

Great job!