How do I get more realistic texture?

2»

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

tdrd said:
    I wonder - is there a way to turn OFF the shadows of an object?

Yes, in the Materials Lab.

Picture 1; Click on this inverted triangle
    Picture 2; These three options control the way the object gives and receives shadows.

Mat-Lab2.jpg
    666 x 501 - 192K
    Mat-Lab1.jpg
    641 x 509 - 154K
    edited December 1969

Also; I suspect if you render the cottage at a higher quality, the vertical slats will show up.

• tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

OK I have spent hours on this today and added chimneys, enhanced the windows a little and added front door and porch.

Listen any newbies, I have only been usinf Bryce7 for just over a week now and trust me it's not that difficult to learn the basics - though I have had loads of help from the guys and gals in this forum.

I was afraid of Bryce at first and was overwhelmed by the interface but once you get the feel of it, it's not that bad.

Bryce top menu still needs some enhancements and the Edit/Create bar could be merged into one toolbar with a divider to make it easier to use, but apart from some glitches it's robust.

I am over impressed with my little project and apart from the shadows being too strong which someone has to tell me how to have less direct sunlight I have almost got the building I was aiming at.

I am going to finish off the project by creating a duplicate file and attach the next building to side of it, then i'll save these files.
    The aim is to complete my scene, however I would eventually like to complete the rear of these buildings and then make these models available in the free repository once I find out the legal way to share the building.

I know the window frames look as if someone has stoned the building but I think that's down to the shadows again. I have gone back to the window model and increased the bars so that they show more in the reduced version... I did not want to do this but grabbed the bull by the horn and got on with it.

This has all been made possible by the supporters and administrators of this forum to whom I owe great thanks for all their help.

I'm here to stay folks!

Terry

SingleCottage.jpg
    2000 x 1640 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Render at higher quality??? I am antialiasing and it is set to superfine now.

I read in someone elses post that they could render to A2 size, with a lot of pixels.

OK - you knew this was coing... How can I increase the render output beyond the superfine antialiasing in the document properties?

OK - and THANKS for the tips on reducing the shadows - will give that a shot tomorrow.

It's 3.am again and I need sleep - These 3.am bedtimes caused by Bryce will be the death of me!

Terry

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@tdrd: Very nice job. And nice job of hanging in there.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited December 1969

@tdrd - good work and your labour was not lost. You can select the whole house and load it into the objects library for later use.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

And as for sharing it. as Horo says, save it into your presets library, with a unique name. You can then export this OBP out again, add a readme, zip it up and then upload the zip somewhere for sharing. It's as simple as that.

I wopuld reccomend ShareCG for sharing things, It's one of the best for free file sharing this sort of thing. I have some stuff there, although most of my stuff is on my site.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited September 2012

tdrd said:
    OK - you knew this was coing... How can I increase the render output beyond the superfine antialiasing in the document properties?

You can't, not in the document properties. You have to go to render options, which is the down arrow/triangle next to the render controls. When you click it a menu box opens and within the menu one of the options is render options. If you click that you get another box that allows you to adjust a number of variable and/or set effects such as True Ambient Light, Depth of Field Effect, and a number of other things. Most of which only come into play when you move it to the setting above super fine which is Premium and is the highest quality setting. I would avoid messing with those settings without guidance though as they are fairly sophisticated options that really require a solid understanding of Bryce. Be warned though, the majority of settings in there can significant;y increase render time.

I think the broken window effect you're getting is more a matter of distance and angle of view then it is the render setting. The cottage looks quite nice although I still think the roof texture should be different.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited September 2012

tdrd said:

Yes, but I think it is most likely you have it set to "fast preview render"

Picture 1
    : I set up some a grid of thin bars horizontal, vertical and diagonal.
    Picture 2: Rendered with AA setting Super (fine art), but as you'll see, I have the little ball (highlighted with a red ring and big red arrow) and you can see how the bars have broken up.
    Picture 3: I re rendered the exact same thing at the exact same settings except that now you will see that the little ball in Green and not as it was before grey. The result fills in all the broken bits.

The render time has increased from 11 seconds to 59 seconds.
    If you have it on full preview (the ball is green) instead of Fast Preview, any of the AA settings will fill in your blank bits.

I read in someone elses post that they could render to A2 size, with a lot of pixels.

You don't need to, see above.
    If at some point you want to print your renders, you can worry about that. :)

Latts-3.jpg
    900 x 563 - 220K
    Latts2.jpg
    900 x 563 - 219K
    Latts1.jpg
    900 x 563 - 169K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

tdrd said:

Yes, but I think it is most likely you have it set to "fast preview render"

Picture 1
    : I set up some a grid of thin bars horizontal, vertical and diagonal.
    Picture 2: Rendered with AA setting Super (fine art), but as you'll see, I have the little ball (highlighted with a red ring and big red arrow) and you can see how the bars have broken up.
    Picture 3: I re rendered the exact same thing at the exact same settings except that now you will see that the little ball in Green and not as it was before grey. The result fills in all the broken bits.

The render time has increased from 11 seconds to 59 seconds.
    If you have it on full preview (the ball is green) instead of Fast Preview, any of the AA settings will fill in your blank bits.

You don't need to, see above.
    If at some point you want to print your renders, you can worry about that. :)

Ah good catch, I've never even used that button before so I never would have thought of that. I just assumed everyone use the same button for renders they post.

edited December 1969

The cottage looks quite nice although I still think the roof texture should be different.

I browsed the web for different roof textures and drew a blank. In the end I opted for a shingle I found which was the nearest thing I could get to slate. It is very difficult (as you may already know) to obtain exactly the texture I am looking for at the time and as yet I have no experience of creating my own textures.

I'm already running faster than I can walk I suppose so I'll not delve into the texture editing bit "just yet!"

When I typed roof texture Bryce I got a limited set of results, and if I just type in roof texture I get a whole set of websites wanting to fix my roof for me. (not very helpful)
    It's a matter of getting the right words for the search criteria I suppose.

Terry

edited December 1969

tdrd said:

The cottage looks quite nice although I still think the roof texture should be different.

I browsed the web for different roof textures and drew a blank. In the end I opted for a shingle I found which was the nearest thing I could get to slate. It is very difficult (as you may already know) to obtain exactly the texture I am looking for at the time and as yet I have no experience of creating my own textures.

I'm already running faster than I can walk I suppose so I'll not delve into the texture editing bit "just yet!"

When I typed roof texture Bryce I got a limited set of results, and if I just type in roof texture I get a whole set of websites wanting to fix my roof for me. (not very helpful)
    It's a matter of getting the right words for the search criteria I suppose.

Terry

Okay I didn't realize you wanted a slate roof, I guess as a slate roof it's okay I was just thinking wooden shingle or thatch would be more what an old style stone cottage might have. So based on that I'm thinking the roof should be more some sort of shade of brown. As slate though it just seems to blend into the wall texture too much. What do I know though? I'm here in the states and we don't have as many stone cottages to reference. :)

edited December 1969

Regarding the preview mode - YES I did have it on fast render.

By clicking the second green blob it did get rid of the problem.

I went ONE stage further and temporarily changed the render to premium.I see what you mean about this slowing down the render time.
    It's gone from 34 seconds to 4 minutes 21 seconds.
    I guess you'd only put it to that setting for the final render.

Here's the latest version of the cottage with glass (which took a bit of doing) and some curtains at the window.

CottageFine.jpg
    2000 x 1663 - 1M
    edited December 1969

I am going goint to remark on one thing. I live in an old stone cottage, built around1880. and the chimney stacks around here are quite a bit taller. Not the chimney itself , but the stack

edited December 1969

tdrd said:
    Regarding the preview mode - YES I did have it on fast render.

By clicking the second green blob it did get rid of the problem.

I went ONE stage further and temporarily changed the render to premium.I see what you mean about this slowing down the render time.
    It's gone from 34 seconds to 4 minutes 21 seconds.
    I guess you'd only put it to that setting for the final render.

Here's the latest version of the cottage with glass (which took a bit of doing) and some curtains at the window.

Oh that's nothing, there are settings under the premium section that can increase render time to hours, even days in some cases. But that's down the road, maybe for after you've built the scene in your mind's eye and you are wanting to get the best possible render out of it.

edited December 1969

Okay - after much fiddling about with textures I have completed the first part of the cottage.

I actually drew a floor plan out of the interior of the cottage so that windows would be in the right place.

Changed the roof slate texture and the doors, added smaller windows and stone lintols, changed the lintol texture to stone instead of blocks.

Placed a dividing wall inside teh building so that people rotating the building directly front on would not see through the building via windows.

Improved rendering to show all window slats

So here is the (for now) final version of cottage1. There is no side window on one side as the adjoining building will connect here.

Do you think it's good enough to put on CGhare?

If I do - do I combine everything into one object group?

Cottage.jpg
    2000 x 893 - 1004K
    edited December 1969

That cottage turned out quite well. I think they would be welcomed on ShareCG.com. You don't have to bundle them into one object. I forget how many you can upload, but you can upload them individually. It's been some time since I've uploaded anything, but there is a place to describe what you've uploaded. And how your images may be used.

You mentioned once about adding lighting inside. You could add inside walls to isolate each window just as a real room would be. Then determine which room you want lit and the intensity.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited September 2012

If you want to share your model, do not forget to give each individual object that makes up the model a unique name. If you ever used a model generously offered by someone who hasn't identified the parts, you know how tedious it is if you want to tweak it for your purposes. Groups cannot be used, unfortunately, because they belong to the scene, not the object.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

tdrd said:
    Okay - after much fiddling about with textures I have completed the first part of the cottage.

I actually drew a floor plan out of the interior of the cottage so that windows would be in the right place.

Changed the roof slate texture and the doors, added smaller windows and stone lintols, changed the lintol texture to stone instead of blocks.

Placed a dividing wall inside teh building so that people rotating the building directly front on would not see through the building via windows.

Improved rendering to show all window slats

So here is the (for now) final version of cottage1. There is no side window on one side as the adjoining building will connect here.

Do you think it's good enough to put on CGhare?

If I do - do I combine everything into one object group?

I like the new slate texture alot better, the old one was too much like the walls in my opinion.

• ds-mail_2e0cb9c256ds-mail_2e0cb9c256 Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Not to put a damper on the good progress, but I see the texture on the exterior walls as being a repeating pattern. To my eye it seems the pattern image is not entirely seamless in that there is a light/dark across the image thus causing a light/dark at each seam.

Probably can be fully fixed by adjusting the source image and making it really "seamless" in both texture and luminance...without making it too flat in contrast . . . some work in Photoshop should do it and replace the current image map.

my $0.02

Doug.S

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited September 2012

I would go for the house on the right..with the odd windows' set..it looks more natural. This was a great project, and very encouraging for you to do more, I would think.

Also, the 'seam', as above mentioend, is sometimes seen in these old house where the mason's have to allow for several group of layers of blocks (usually about 4 to 5 high up) to 'settle-in' and for the cement & mortar to dry. In the end you would get some group of layers lighter-coloured than other, because sometimes the builder wouldn't have enough blocks, and so had to go away and get more from the local quarry, or pick them himself from a rocky/stony-type beach.

Have seen one of these old houses in which the drying-out time wasn't adhered to, and the whole lot had collapsed. The house had obviously been built by a 'cowboy' - an inflamatory term for someone who really don't know what they are doing.

Jay
    PS. My Euro0.02 worth :)

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited September 2012

Jamahoney said:
    I would go for the house on the right..with the odd windows' set..it looks more natural. This was a great project, and very encouraging for you to do more, I would think.

Also, the 'seam', as above mentioend, is sometimes seen in these old house where the mason's have to allow for several group of layers of blocks (usually about 4 to 5 high up) to 'settle-in' and for the cement & mortar to dry. In the end you would get some group of layers lighter-coloured than other, because sometimes the builder wouldn't have enough blocks, and so had to go away and get more from the local quarry, or pick them himself from a rocky/stony-type beach.

Have seen one of these old houses in which the drying-out time wasn't adhered to, and the whole lot had collapsed. The house had obviously been built by a 'cowboy' - an inflamatory term for someone who really don't know what they are doing.

Jay
    PS. My Euro0.02 worth :)

I so agree with these comments. I live in an old stone built cottage. Most of the cottages in this area it is difficult to pick out the construction as they have been "rendered" during a refurbishment doen I guess around the 1950's, given that we have Artex ceilings,

However for some reason THe house next door to us has not been rendered on the wall that is shared with us, and his house is taller than ours and goes back further ( we are known as the little house to locals) and you can see now the rocks are in the gable end. Nowhere near as neat and tidy, or equally matched as modern construction.

Our walls are 18" thick, so we have nice deep windowsills indoors and on the outside the windows are set 6-8" into the wall.

Also we do have matching windows either side of the front door, as shown in the one style, with the front door being alomost central/

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

For a first time project I personally think they turned out very well. They look similar to photos and videos I've seen of houses of that period. Even the mismatching brick. Well done tdrd.