Bryce running slow, Poser unusable

edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I recently bought myself a brand new system for gaming and graphics work but, while the games run perfectly, Bryce 7.1 and Poser 6 (which I rarely use but is handy to have) are both terribly slow. Indeed, Poser is now so slow and juddery that it's pointless even loading it. It's exactly the same with Bryce, with 'flyaround' reduced to 'slowly walk around'. I have some pretty hefty Bryce models left over from my old Windows XP system that worked fine on that machine. I had hoped that on this new powerhouse system I could render and have fun without maxing the system out, but instead it's slow, judders, crashes with 'out of memory' errors and so on. I think it might be a memory-related problem, but here are my basic system specs anyway:

Windows 7 64-bit version
8GB memory
Intel i7 processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX260
2 TB HDD

If someone could suggest a fix for Bryce (and Poser, come to that) that I can understand - since I'm not very technically minded - I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2012

I have yet to get my new system, (at present it is in testing and cofig I am told) but I have been told that my version on Poser 6 will probably not work in Win 7 64 bit, which is a crying shame. I searched on the internet and found a cheapish vesrion of Poser 8 to replace P6.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150892030670?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Which arrived very quickly and is indeed a completely new, still sealed copy.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I have yet to get my new system, (at present it is in testing and cofig I am told) but I have been told that my version on Poser 6 will probably not work in Win 7 64 bit, which is a crying shame. I searched on the internet and found a cheapish vesrion of Poser 8 to replace P6.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150892030670?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Which arrived very quickly and is indeed a completely new, still sealed copy.

I just found my P6 install folder on my backup drive, I had only P7 and P8 installed previously. I installed P6, found my serial number in my emails from e-frontier, and it works perfectly for me. (See image).

There is no slowness or anything else, and it renders properly as well? It works just as well as P7 or P8 ever did.

I am on Win 7 64 bit Home Premium, i7, recently upgraded to 16 GB, GT420 nVidia card.

Untitled-1.jpg
    1152 x 864 - 129K
    edited December 1969

Well that is handy to know Jimmy, because shaderspider won't work with P8 and I use it a lot.

My P6 is on an e frontier CD, not a downloaded version. I will just have to try when the PC arrives.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Hmn... but Bryce should run nicely on such a system.

Look at this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/7975/ it may be something similar and certain my suggestions would be the same.

Bryce version and Task Manager. Details are in that thread.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited September 2012

I recently bought myself a brand new system for gaming and graphics work but, while the games run perfectly, Bryce 7.1 and Poser 6 (which I rarely use but is handy to have) are both terribly slow. Indeed, Poser is now so slow and juddery that it's pointless even loading it. It's exactly the same with Bryce, with 'flyaround' reduced to 'slowly walk around'. I have some pretty hefty Bryce models left over from my old Windows XP system that worked fine on that machine. I had hoped that on this new powerhouse system I could render and have fun without maxing the system out, but instead it's slow, judders, crashes with 'out of memory' errors and so on. I think it might be a memory-related problem, but here are my basic system specs anyway:

Windows 7 64-bit version
    8GB memory
    Intel i7 processor
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX260
    2 TB HDD

If someone could suggest a fix for Bryce (and Poser, come to that) that I can understand - since I'm not very technically minded - I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

The system specs look fine, could you elaborate on the memory problem, perhaps you're on the right track there? As for Poser 6 I was disappointed to learn this after the fact of Buying Poser 6 but I understand it had quite a few bugs in it, so the Poser 6 problem may be it's just not that good of a version of poser? That being said though I don't remember Poser 6 giving me the problems you seem to be having. Have you ruled out viruses and the like?

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited December 1969

I have been using Poser 6 for several years with no problems whatsoever, on a an underpowered, low spec aging PC which has only Igb ram.

SO LHD could be right and there is some other problem

• tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I am looking at getting a new machine similar spec to above and wonder if Bryce will still run on a 64 bit machine given that it's 32 bit.

If it does, will it render faster than on 32 bit? Has anyone experienced the difference?

I'll be getting the Windows 7 Professional 64 bit edition though as it has the WindowsXP backwards support in there amongst a few other little things you can apparently do like stick a USB stick in and tell the computer to use it as RAM. (YET TO BE PROVED!)

Terry

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Here's my system spec. Bryce 7.1.0.109 runs fine on it.

Windows 7 Pro
    64 bit OS
    Intel i7 CPU
    6 Gb memory
    HD 5850 GPU

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,116
    edited December 1969

tdrd said:
    I am looking at getting a new machine similar spec to above and wonder if Bryce will still run on a 64 bit machine given that it's 32 bit.

If it does, will it render faster than on 32 bit? Has anyone experienced the difference?

I'll be getting the Windows 7 Professional 64 bit edition though as it has the WindowsXP backwards support in there amongst a few other little things you can apparently do like stick a USB stick in and tell the computer to use it as RAM. (YET TO BE PROVED!)

Terry

Bryce will run faster on the new computer, I'm quite sure of that. But there is no difference whether it is 32 or 64 bit as far as Bryce is concerned - though 64 bit is the way to go.

Yes Win 7 Pro entitles you to install a full XP system and this is very nicely integrated. You can even access the files on the Win 7 system from XP, though not the other way around. I use it, I also use Win 2000 on Win 7 at odd times.

Whether you can use the USB stick as memory, I doubt. They can be addressed as a drive, but memory? If it can be done, I would be extremely eager to know how it can be made work.

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Whether you can use the USB stick as memory, I doubt. They can be addressed as a drive, but memory? If it can be done, I would be extremely eager to know how it can be made work.

Yes it can, under windows 7 this is called "ready boost" and when you plug in a USB stick the window that pops up should give you an option to use the stick to "speed up my system". Otherwise, you can click on computer from the start menu then right click on the drive for that USB stick and choose properties, then click on the ready boost tab in that window. If you want to use the whole thing you will first have to delete all files on the stick including hidden/system ones. Since I have a built in SD card reader, I have a 4gb SD card I am using this way and have for some time.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited September 2012

tdrd said:

Terry

Yes Bryce will run on 64 bit machines, I would say the majority of users active in this forum are using 64 Bit machines/OS's. It'll only run faster in that a 64 bit machine can use more memory then a 32 bit one and as such they tend to have more memory then the maximum Bryce can access with the help of the LAA utility, whereas this was not always the case with 32 bit machines as many of those had less then 4GB's of memory. It'll also likely run faster because few if any 32bit machines came with multicore processors.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

My specs : AMD Quadcore Phenom 955 12 Go Ram and ATI Radeon X800XL 256 Mb and Win 7 x64

My Graphic card is rather old (more than 5 years) and Bryce runs fine on it. You've got better specs than I have so it should run fine on yours

Just patch your Bryce exe so that it can use up to 4Gb RAM instead of 2 (Large address aware) on your 64 bit system

Eventually you can check that your Antivirus doesn't scan your Bryce directories and disable Windows DEP or configure it so that it only runs on Windows files

For the USB trick, it doesn't use it as memory but rather as a cache system in order to access frequently accessed datas quicker since your USB drive should be quicker than your Hard drive. That could help a bit if you don't have a SSD but that is not that great

edited December 1969

Yes it can, under windows 7 this is called "ready boost" and when you plug in a USB stick the window that pops up should give you an option to use the stick to "speed up my system". Otherwise, you can click on computer from the start menu then right click on the drive for that USB stick and choose properties, then click on the ready boost tab in that window. If you want to use the whole thing you will first have to delete all files on the stick including hidden/system ones. Since I have a built in SD card reader, I have a 4gb SD card I am using this way and have for some time.

Hey - thanks for that. Will try as soon as I've got the time.

edited December 1969

Well GreyMouse69, that turned out to be a disappointment. Ready Boost is used for disk cache purposes and can improve the performance of the system. It is - unfortunately - not mapped in as RAM. Been reading a bit here http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/take-a-closer-look-at-readyboost-features-in-windows-7/2225 and here http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/keep-tabs-on-readyboost-with-windows-7s-performance-monitor/2257 . Nevertheless, I wasn't aware of this option so I have at least learned something. Thank you for that.

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Well GreyMouse69, that turned out to be a disappointment. Ready Boost is used for disk cache purposes and can improve the performance of the system. It is - unfortunately - not mapped in as RAM. Been reading a bit here http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/take-a-closer-look-at-readyboost-features-in-windows-7/2225 and here http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/keep-tabs-on-readyboost-with-windows-7s-performance-monitor/2257 . Nevertheless, I wasn't aware of this option so I have at least learned something. Thank you for that.

Yes, after reading Takeo's post I went and looked it up at microsoft as well so I understand. It seems they changed that functionality from virtual ram to this new ready boost thing sometime between XP and 7, don't know about vista since I avoided that one like the plague it was. It appears the best option currently is to use an SSD either as boot/os/virtual ram disk or strictly as virtual ram depending on how big of one you want to get.

• ytetsuytetsu Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

I'm also disappointment for Ready Boost.
    But SSD cache (by Crucial) is very good for my system (Phenom II x6, Windows 7 Pro, Mem:16GB, HDD 2TB x2).
    http://www.crucial.com/store/ssc.aspx

Attached image is without (left) and with SSD cache (right) result by Crystal Disk Mark.

CrystalDiskMark_3.0_.1_x64_2012-06-14_.jpg
    812 x 369 - 156K