Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Again, five minutes... same process. Same figures. Different HDRI, again Horo's. Still fretting over lighting.

Fels_rtr_rrp64_v1.jpg
    700 x 525 - 172K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

For a sunny day like that, shouldn't the shadows on the ground be a bit darker?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I think it's Puff the magic dragon, he casts his shadow in strange ways.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    For a sunny day like that, shouldn't the shadows on the ground be a bit darker?

Thank you. I will give that a try.

In the mean time, here is a version of the kitchen scene using tonemapped HDRI.

Kitchen_rtr_rrp64_v2.jpg
    700 x 525 - 171K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I think it's Puff the magic dragon, he casts his shadow in strange ways.

True.

Wide field of view. The Bryce camera is not optically correct to match a real lens system.

edited December 1969

How about this light?

Fels_rtr_rrp64_v2.jpg
    700 x 525 - 167K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

The shadows on the ground are looking good to me. The shadow on the back of the sitting figure on the other hand is now too dark. The light sand would have thrown some light back upwards.
    (Sorry for my clumsy English - it's not my first language)

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    The shadows on the ground are looking good to me. The shadow on the back of the sitting figure on the other hand is now too dark. The light sand would have thrown some light back upwards.
    (Sorry for my clumsy English - it's not my first language)

Thank you. How about this?

Fels_rtr_rrp64_v3.jpg
    700 x 525 - 176K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@ David - The Dragon with the car has the shadows as if the sun were in the zenith. The ladies with the dragon on the roof have them more according to the sun. Nobody knows it's the same HDRI so we can let it pass. The shadow intensity for the ladies seems a bit week. For the dragon with the car it looks good and matches what we see in the background.

edited December 1969

@David - one could argue whether the tone-mapped or the non-tone-mapped backdrop looks better in the renders with the kettle and the dragon on the table.

edited December 1969

@David - The ladies with the dragon in the riverbed have the shadows wrong. This is strange. There is a stick at right that casts a shadow and tells us, where the sun is. The standing ladies shadow almost fits, the dragon's is a bit ambivalent due to its shape, but the one cast by the sitting lady is 90° wrong. Shadow intensity on the third example seems best to me, comparing it with the shadow on the backdrop. The ladies are lit nicely.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    chohole said:
    Thanks Horo, OK how about this one. Again another five minute render. I can adjust for sun shadow intensity, softness, ambient shadow intensity, ambient light v sunlight. Colour adjustment is determined by the TA response to the ground and object. So that much is beyond my control. Your reckonings?

David it's about time you bought that poor girl a new outfit, We females do like variety in our clothes you know. LOL

Free is fine too:
    http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=wilmap
    ;)

It's not the lack of clothes it is the lack of skill. I am such a numpty when it comes to DS, stabbing repeatedly at "send to Bryce" while beating the keyboard with my forehead in sheer frustration - is about my level. I struggle to pick clothes for myself - which you would soon recognise if you saw the shabby way I dress in faded t-shirts and cut down jeans that I have rescued from someone else's recycling. The only thing I am wearing now that I bought myself - bar underclothes - is my cargo pants with the many pockets - the rest is scavenged goods. With a women, even a digital one, I would not know where to begin. I'd just render her nude - so much simpler - if it wasn't to save upsetting any younger viewers.

Well since your renders usually have her sunning in exotic locations how about a simple bathing suit?

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @David - The ladies with the dragon in the riverbed have the shadows wrong. This is strange. There is a stick at right that casts a shadow and tells us, where the sun is. The standing ladies shadow almost fits, the dragon's is a bit ambivalent due to its shape, but the one cast by the sitting lady is 90° wrong. Shadow intensity on the third example seems best to me, comparing it with the shadow on the backdrop. The ladies are lit nicely.

I wonder if this is down to the difference between real lenses and Bryce lenses? The reason I say this is that the sun in the scene is placed exactly where the sun in the HDRI backdrop with is. Interesting...

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @ David - The Dragon with the car has the shadows as if the sun were in the zenith. The ladies with the dragon on the roof have them more according to the sun. Nobody knows it's the same HDRI so we can let it pass. The shadow intensity for the ladies seems a bit week. For the dragon with the car it looks good and matches what we see in the background.

Another interesting observation, I don't doubt your perception, but the light I think is the same between both, same HDRI, just turned the camera around. Maybe it is due to the surface on which the shadows are falling and how that reacts due to it's own diffuse colour that makes the difference. The roof area is very light compared with the car park... Speaking of car parks... Here yes I know the shadow under the car varies slightly. But for a five minute render... it is a compromise.

Garage_rtr_rrp64_v1.jpg
    700 x 525 - 165K
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    chohole said:
    Thanks Horo, OK how about this one. Again another five minute render. I can adjust for sun shadow intensity, softness, ambient shadow intensity, ambient light v sunlight. Colour adjustment is determined by the TA response to the ground and object. So that much is beyond my control. Your reckonings?

David it's about time you bought that poor girl a new outfit, We females do like variety in our clothes you know. LOL

Free is fine too:
    http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=wilmap
    ;)

It's not the lack of clothes it is the lack of skill. I am such a numpty when it comes to DS, stabbing repeatedly at "send to Bryce" while beating the keyboard with my forehead in sheer frustration - is about my level. I struggle to pick clothes for myself - which you would soon recognise if you saw the shabby way I dress in faded t-shirts and cut down jeans that I have rescued from someone else's recycling. The only thing I am wearing now that I bought myself - bar underclothes - is my cargo pants with the many pockets - the rest is scavenged goods. With a women, even a digital one, I would not know where to begin. I'd just render her nude - so much simpler - if it wasn't to save upsetting any younger viewers.

Well since your renders usually have her sunning in exotic locations how about a simple bathing suit?

Not a bad idea. I will look to see if there are any.

edited December 1969

Horo said:

Another interesting observation, I don't doubt your perception, but the light I think is the same between both, same HDRI, just turned the camera around. Maybe it is due to the surface on which the shadows are falling and how that reacts due to it's own diffuse colour that makes the difference. The roof area is very light compared with the car park... Speaking of car parks... Here yes I know the shadow under the car varies slightly. But for a five minute render... it is a compromise.

The glare on the windshield looks off to me compared to the others but beside that and the shadow under the car it looks good to me.

edited December 1969

Reflection is still a bit iffy, but I've fiddled with the shadows and thrown in a Vicky. I think she forgot her keys... and her shoes... and also, I suppose which side is the drivers side now I come to think about it.

Garage_rtr_rrp64_v2.jpg
    700 x 525 - 173K
    edited December 1969

So she's not bound to the driver's seat - or she's British and she came with this car :)
    The lighting and the shadow look really great here. There are many fluorescent lamps on the ceiling and there is almost no chance for a shadow except underneath.

edited December 1969

Reflection is still a bit iffy, but I've fiddled with the shadows and thrown in a Vicky. I think she forgot her keys... and her shoes... and also, I suppose which side is the drivers side now I come to think about it.

Well it looks better now but something still doesn't seem right about the glass, maybe a slightly different glass texture would make the glass seem more like the other vehicle's glass? It's not that big a deal though a fairly minor detail that might not even be noticed if someone didn't know that car was actually a model.

edited December 1969

Well it looks better now but something still doesn't seem right about the glass, maybe a slightly different glass texture would make the glass seem more like the other vehicle's glass? It's not that big a deal though a fairly minor detail that might not even be noticed if someone didn't know that car was actually a model.

You are correct about that. I find it difficult to coax a very small specular spot out of Bryce, it just doesn't seem to go down fine enough for what I need. And unluckily the window is the wrong shape to find the reflections. Or the reflections are in the wrong place... Thanks for the feedback Mark.

• canyonmanterrycanyonmanterry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I entered the One,s I wanted to show. Opp,s on the previous post.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited September 2012

You are correct about that. I find it difficult to coax a very small specular spot out of Bryce, it just doesn't seem to go down fine enough for what I need. And unluckily the window is the wrong shape to find the reflections. Or the reflections are in the wrong place... Thanks for the feedback Mark.

Is it possible to create a strip light close to the glass that only has the glass included in it's influence?
    Or maybe that's what you did already.

The other thing that seems wrong (and it only looks wrong because the rest of it looks so right), is that Vicky needs more ambient or something because her dark bits are the darkest thing in the scene.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited September 2012

Third or fourth Bryce render, first terrain made without tutorial or preset, first experiment with the DS3A->Bryce7Pro bridge. I think I'm going to like this software.

WildMustang.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 175K
    Post edited by Odaa on
  • stump3point1stump3point1 Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

I will toss my renders in the gallery, I love Bryce renders myself and there are a lot of great renders here already I hope mine will be a compliment to all the great talent on display here.

Thank's in advance for your comments good or bad I'm listening.

open_osceanUSS_KiddSM.jpg
    800 x 443 - 172K
    The_Family_of_El_Presidente.jpg
    800 x 444 - 330K
    edited December 1969

Odaa said:
    Third or fourth Bryce render, first terrain made without tutorial or preset, first experiment with the DS3A->Bryce7Pro bridge. I think I'm going to like this software.

You're on your way. Bryce is fun.
    edited September 2012

stumpc said:
    I will toss my renders in the gallery, I love Bryce renders myself and there are a lot of great renders here already I hope mine will be a compliment to all the great talent on display here.

Nice renders. The one with the ladies is quite elaborate. One thing I see that could be improved is the sky. Experiment with custom sky.

The one with the ship is nice. The bow wave looks a bit flat from this angle but the water looks really good. The sky fits.

Good work, keep it up.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

No problem, thanks for sharing your wonderful artwork. :)

edited December 1969

stumpc said:

Not bad but I see a couple of things bugging me, one is the guy standing on the speedboat looks out of scale with the boat, he looks too big. If you sent them via the bridge seperately try putting them together in Studio first and send them together as that way they should remain more in proportion to one another. Another thing bugging me is that the water around the boat is hard to distinguish from the sand. I agree with Hor's suggestion about using a different sky though and that could also fix the look of the water.

I like the battleship the only thing there that is bugging me is the displaced water at the front of the ship looks too neat it should be more disturbed like you have it towards the rear of the ship.

• stump3point1stump3point1 Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

Thank's for the useful comments, good info to use next time I put something together. horo your right about the sky, I need to spend a little more time in the skylab and LordHardDriven Now that you pointed the proportion out I notice it myself.I guess collaboration is a good thing when available which makes this a great forum my friends.

• canyonmanterrycanyonmanterry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Here,s another new works. the lay out is from an earlier works. changed the angle an tweaked it a lot. added the ship to give perceptive and scope. Used a brush on a landscape and duplicated then moved it slightly matching the mat with the water to give a wave look. I,m thinking of putting a eagle or bird over head to leave a shadow. Don'd have any animals shape yet. Glad for input Thanks terry

canyon_falls4_(800x404).jpg
    800 x 404 - 250K
This discussion has been closed.