[Halp!] Skin, skin everywhere! Except, er, what I need

SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
edited September 2012 in The Commons

What I need:

1) A skin resource which is not already splatted on V4/V5/M4/M5/etc, but is in its natural state
2) Has scars, freckles, stretchmarks, acne, moles, goosepimples, wrinkles, hairs, whatever blemishes skins tend to carry
3) Young, old, all colors of humankind (the latter is very important)
4) Is free ('cause right now I'm dead broke), and allows both commercial and non-commercial resampling for a product which might be sold or just handed out (in a non-resource form)

Does this thing exist? I already have lots of HoboBo's skin patches, but they tend to lack #2 & #3, which is what I really, really, really need. Basically, high resolution close-ups of human skin.

Post edited by Skiriki on

Comments

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    edited December 1969

Dead link. Maybe Adobe got there first?

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949
    edited December 1969

Well it looks like you could try a couple of different things to me ..1 Google for ABR brushes depends on what paint program you use, I use GIMP, but you could find brushes for skins,moles scars ,stretchmarks,etc. and do them that way or if you have a camera ,you could start takeing a photo of the stuff you want and use that ,easiest on yourself,but you can do it on other people ........just be careful of how you approach them,otherwise the cops could be called and you could spend a bit of time in a padded room .......

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

I have Photoshop. However, what I do not have in great abundance right now is time to learn how to generate skin from scratch, or stalk people to take pictures of their skin, especially skins belonging to non-white-pink variety. I did grab some free Photoshop brushes, but we're back to previous point there. :P

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    edited December 1969

I seriously doubt anything like this exists as it would take a bit of work to produce. You are asking for quite a bit, especially for free. Best bet is to take what you have and learn to alter it as you need.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    I have Photoshop. However, what I do not have in great abundance right now is time to learn how to generate skin from scratch, or stalk people to take pictures of their skin, especially skins belonging to non-white-pink variety. I did grab some free Photoshop brushes, but we're back to previous point there. :P

Ahhh but this is where HoBo's skins come in use those as a base and add the moles,freckles,stretch marks in the paint program ......or if you are going to use them for only personal use ,then play with other textures you've got darken them ,add other markings to them .....I sometimes take a texture(light) that I already have pull it into GIMP create a new layer and Bucket fill it then lower the transparency till it looks close to what I want save that out under new name ,remove the base layer,bring in the next part (limbs) and do the same til I've got all the parts I need ,then bring the new parts in and play with the saturation ,etc.until I'm happy ,then add you extra maks .......

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited December 1969

Quick question? Can you use UberSurface2 Layered Shader to create your own shader for a character and sell it?

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    edited September 2012

You could try here:

http://www.3d.sk/photos/freeSample

I haven't tried to sign up myself to get free samples (already have some of his skins from when he sold them at Rendo), so I don't know what you actually get, but you could give it a try.

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited December 1969

Ahah! Free samples! Let's see what I can get!

edited December 1969

Note:

Stock art resources here:
    A-I
    J-R
    S-Z

I found some royalty-free commercial-creation-allowed outside-of-DA human piccies and close-ups (and a whole lot of not-allowed) from scattered sources on those lists. Plus a whole lot more useful stuff. So yes, it does exist, it just takes time to find. Fortunately, all I have right now is time to kill.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    However, what I do not have in great abundance right now is time to learn how to generate skin from scratch, or stalk people to take pictures of their skin

Fortunately, all I have right now is time to kill.

o_O

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    However, what I do not have in great abundance right now is time to learn how to generate skin from scratch, or stalk people to take pictures of their skin

Fortunately, all I have right now is time to kill.

o_O

:lol: :lol: Yes, I know. Conflicting. But, bear with me -- explanation ahead.

Time suddenly manifested between postings (my schedules cleared -- no job interviews ahead, job situation for IT sucks), but sadly, no energy to learn new stuff came with that time (the problem of being certifiably depressed/bipolar, and being unhappy about that job situation is not exactly uplifting either). Right now all I can do is sit and click: look at rules of usage. Good? No. Close. Good? OK. What they got? Oh, look, free banana, how marvelous and original. Close. Good? OK? What they got? This looks modestly interesting and useful. Click and save.

I'm creating a ready-to-use stash when I feel like I can do stuff again, so I don't need to start hunting when I want to create.

edited December 1969

I've been known to take entire skin mappings and use burn/dodge/blur to create "new" textures for my personal use xD. Regarding that stock photo site, are there any complete images of people? If you're making a texture, they have to be... well, you'd probably need an account verifying your age.

edited December 1969

I've been known to take entire skin mappings and use burn/dodge/blur to create "new" textures for my personal use xD. Regarding that stock photo site, are there any complete images of people? If you're making a texture, they have to be... well, you'd probably need an account verifying your age.

It is DeviantArt site, so it is reasonably well-patrolled when it comes to age. And what I needed were not for whole humans, but... skin patches, so whatever people expose is good enough...

Um.

Like... there's Halloween coming up, and I want to do a creepy horror freebie for people but knowing my pace of working and predilection towards depression and it causing lags in my work and gods I can't go on explaining without sounding like I'm going to sew a human skin cloak in my basement a la Buffalo Bill.

So, uh, like that? :red: :red: :red:

I'm gonna go and get my cloak.

COAT! COAT! I TOTALLY MEANT COAT!

• SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521
    edited December 1969

Just keep calling them "Pattern swatches" or "Photo references" :)

edited December 1969

Ah I was under the impression you were trying to make a full character texture, Mr. Bill.

edited December 1969

No no no... me, doing a human skin suit for Supersuit? Ahahaha... er, no, absolutely not. Nothing like that. Yeah. Nowai.