[Genesis] Pose controls suddenly went missing!

SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

DAZ Studio 4.5RC2, but IIRC this has happened in 4.0.47 as well.

Okay, so I got this fancy character made, twisted and dialed using Genesis add-ons. I pose the character normally... save, quit, go do something else, save, quit, go do something else, and now my pose controls for various body parts have just vanished.

If I select head, the text 'head' is greyed out and if I tweak the sliders, nothing happens; if I select whole Genesis, Head and Torso are greyed out, and lots of pose controls are missing.

If I load fresh Genesis to scene, it has fully functional pose controls, even if I dial in the major shape (Valdart's Reptilian).

How do I fix this? Or should I just save the pose and save the character shape and then just recreate the character? (The least enticing option.)

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

If you're looking on the Shaping tab, there's currently a bug that makes some values not show up properly there. Instead look on the Parameters tab in the Actors sub-area and you should be able to find all your morph dials.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

No, it is not that bug; that's for shaping figure, this is about pose controls.

I picked the figure's head, then went to parameters tab, where I can find pose controls for, say, open mouth, smile, close eyes, flare nostrils etc. Almost all of them were missing (even when I have 'show hidden' on) or alternatively, if they were shown, they did nothing when used. I have no idea why. The only ones that worked for head were two Mr. Hyde mouth poses.

I "fixed" this by doing what I said I'd do -- save figure's shape (and picked only the parameters that matter for the shape), then saved the pose (again picking carefully), and loaded a new Genesis to scene, and applied shape + pose. The original figure continued being broken so I just deleted it and continued with what I got.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Were you saving a .duf or a .daz scene? I'd like to try and recreate this so we can get a bug report filed.

edited December 1969

.duf -- ever since I ran into trouble with old-style format saving, I switched over to .duf. I can check if I have the mangled scene saved, so I can attach it to the bug report; however, that needs to wait 'till tomorrow, 'cause I need my beauty sleep.

edited July 2012

'kay, I'm now awake, and I found out that yes, I did not delete or overwrite the bugged scene.

Here's screencaps of what's happening:

1. Genesis figure's head selected, knob yanked to max, nothing happens. (With the reloaded version, everything works as it should.)
    2. Genesis figure selected, pose controls have vanished.
    3. What I should see when I select Genesis figure.

what_I_should_see.png
    471 x 626 - 56K
    genesis_selected.png
    467 x 433 - 26K
    head_selected.png
    800 x 425 - 191K
    Post edited by Skiriki on
  • edited December 1969

Just encountered this exact same problem with 114. Two Genesis figures in scene saved as .duf. One figure loads ok. The other figure has unresponsive head pose dials. In fact the saved pose dials are set and correct and greyed as usual, but they have no effect. Expressions morphs (sad, happy) section is present and works at the Actor level.

Can't find a bug report for this on Mantis, so will report it.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

A Saved Genesis only saves the ACTIVE morphs at Save, they all will listed at reload but are not IN the figure as usable (or not supposed to be anyway). I know of a way to fix this but all the steps elude me at this time (I had Dialysis this morning and my head is full of cotton). It has something to do with loading a New Genesis and then swapping it with the saved one, easy once you know how.

I hope a user that knows this can Pop in I'm pretty useless right now.

• edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    A Saved Genesis only saves the ACTIVE morphs at Save, they all will listed at reload but are not IN the figure as usable (or not supposed to be anyway). I know of a way to fix this but all the steps elude me at this time (I had Dialysis this morning and my head is full of cotton). It has something to do with loading a New Genesis and then swapping it with the saved one, easy once you know how.

I hope a user that knows this can Pop in I'm pretty useless right now.

What you have said here is not correct. When you save a file scene/character/scene subset, the genesis that is loaded by that file will have every morph that you have installed on your machine ( correctly ). They will not be dialed of course, only the ones that were dialed before the save will be dialed. But if you dial one of those morphs that was not being used it should work ( if the bug being reported here of course is fixed ).

Example, loading the michael 5 character preset only has michael 5 dialed. But you can still dial any morph after having loaded that m5.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

I think, gsayers2005 may see different mophs,

it has same labelled name, but the expression morph controller can not visible in parameter tab,
    when you select genesis.

the morps what you see are all PHM hide parameter.

they are child of true expression pose ctrl. but laveled same,
    and it seted as invisible default. but their root node is assigned genesis
    (because they are one of shape morphs, and genesis has no real partial body morphs)
    so you can see them, when select genesis root, as hide parameters

if you selct head,with pose control tool, you can see true controoller for expression.
    they may have no geometry data, they are just controller and call the child phm morphs node of root.

it is because only when you select head node by pose tool, you can see the expressions ,
    (then the controller call the child PHM assinged genesis root node)

so I think, if one sceane you set parameter tab (visible hide parameters)
    you may see the PHM, but defautl can not see it.

• edited December 1969

I have identified my problem as being associated with a legacy item slaved to Genesis. Full report here: https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=47932

Essentially what I think is happening is the .duf file generated contains so many (erroneous) embedded morphs (about 7mb worth in my case) that when it is loaded again, there isn't any room left in the figure's memory allocation to load some of the regular morphs. That is only a theory, but I saw similar problems in DS2/3 with buffer overflows.

Anyone having this kind of problem should probably check the size of their .duf file. One single Genesis character preset takes about 30-50k only on my set up. Obviously, the more more morph targets you have loaded, the bigger this file will be, but if it is in the megabytes range, you may have the same problem.

Deleting the offending object and re-saving the scene fixed the problem for me.

Gary

edited December 1969

I can check out my problem scene and see if it is because of something like that.