Reality 2_Has This Happened To Anyone Else???

korstemplarkorstemplar Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi guys,
Just finished installing DS 4.5 (32 Mac). Now I'll preface this by saying I've been using DAZ Studio since 1.2. So I'm not exactly a newbie. But this has got me stumped and was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I purchased Reality 2 for DS4 (32) and went to install it into DS4 but received this Error Message: (see below). Does anyone know what is going on here? I'm at a loss! Thanks for any input.

CHEERS;-)
Michael

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Which folder are you installing reality to?

• korstemplarkorstemplar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    Which folder are you installing reality to?

Hi Khory,

The DAZ Studio4 Folder. That's where DS4 is installed. Thanks.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

So C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 ? When you look in there do you see the reality add on files?

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

What is the exact version of DS4.5?

What is the exact version of Reality 2?

that you are using.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    What is the exact version of DS4.5?

What is the exact version of Reality 2?

that you are using.

I'm using 4.5.0 114 Pro Edition (32bit)

And the Reality version is: 2.5 (Mac 32bit)

Thanks.

• aminrougeaminrouge Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Go to your c drive and then select search,type daz and delete any folder that related to your new one,it worked for me before.

edited December 1969

aminrouge said:
    Go to your c drive and then select search,type daz and delete any folder that related to your new one,it worked for me before.

I failed to mention that I'm on a Mac.

edited December 1969

The zip you downloaded for Reality, does it state the exact version # on it?

I ask cause the zip file I have for R2.5 is "Reality_2.5.1.104_DS4_W_64.zip"

That is new as of the other day too btw.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    The zip you downloaded for Reality, does it state the exact version # on it?

I ask cause the zip file I have for R2.5 is "Reality_2.5.1.104_DS4_W_64.zip"

That is new as of the other day too btw.

I made this purchase through Renderosity. As you can see below it's a .dmg.

Reality.jpg
    323 x 489 - 66K
    edited December 1969

Can you select the folder manually?if you tried it and the error message still shown to you,maybe reality is not compatible with your version,just saying because i had those problems before( on mac not pc ) and the problem was with the new tools.

edited December 1969

aminrouge said:
    Can you select the folder manually?if you tried it and the error message still shown to you,maybe reality is not compatible with your version,just saying because i had those problems before( on mac not pc ) and the problem was with the new tools.

That sounds plausible. I'm running Leopard 10.5.8 but, it is, according to Preta, compatible with this OS.

edited December 1969

Are you able to install the contents of the package to an empty folder on your hdd?

I ask cause I do that all the time with the windows version and then place the files manually to their correct location.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    edited December 1969

From the error message, it looks as if you simply clicked the icon of your startup disk ('MAC HD') when the installer asked you to select a destination.

This will not work. The Reality installer needs you to find the actual folder that contains DS4.

Go back to the Destination Select step and look for a button that will allow you to choose where the software is to be installed. Click that button (I forget what it's called, but it should be more or less obvious) and a file dialog will come up. Use that to navigate to the folder where DS4 is installed. Choose that folder as the destination for the installer.

Once you've done that, Reality should install without problems.

edited December 1969

angusm said:
    From the error message, it looks as if you simply clicked the icon of your startup disk ('MAC HD') when the installer asked you to select a destination.

This will not work. The Reality installer needs you to find the actual folder that contains DS4.

Go back to the Destination Select step and look for a button that will allow you to choose where the software is to be installed. Click that button (I forget what it's called, but it should be more or less obvious) and a file dialog will come up. Use that to navigate to the folder where DS4 is installed. Choose that folder as the destination for the installer.

Thanks for that, but if I don't click on the start up disc I won't get the "Choose Folder" option.

edited December 1969

angusm said:

Here is a look at my installation. Should'nt the DAZStudio icon be highlighted and not faded? I can't understand why it is not recognizing DS4 in that folder.

Reality-Install1.jpg
    1267 x 441 - 64K
    edited December 1969

No, that's fine.

If you click the Choose button now, that folder will be selected, and Reality will be installed in the correct location.

The DAZ Studio icon is grayed-out because the file chooser dialog has been configured to return a folder, not an application. You don't have to select DAZ Studio itself, you just have to select the folder it lives in.

edited December 1969

angusm said:
    No, that's fine.

If you click the Choose button now, that folder will be selected, and Reality will be installed in the correct location.

The DAZ Studio icon is grayed-out because the file chooser dialog has been configured to return a folder, not an application. You don't have to select DAZ Studio itself, you just have to select the folder it lives in.

Thanks for trying but you really don't understand. I have done every possible combination of installs over and over again. As I said at the beginning, I've been using DS almost since it's inception and know how to install using all of the different installers. This one just will not go. Something must be wrong somewhere else. I just don't know where.

edited September 2012

Only thing I can think of at this point is to go here - http://preta3d.com/tasks/Reality2Download.php - and get the latest update of Reality 2.5 which is 2.5.1.104 and see if that will install or not.

This image that you posted, what happens if you click on Choose and then Continue?

Reality-Install1.jpg
    1267 x 441 - 64K
    Post edited by Mattymanx on
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Only thing I can think of at this point is to go here - http://preta3d.com/tasks/Reality2Download.php - and get the latest update of Reality 2.5 which is 2.5.1.104 and see if that will install or not.

This image that you posted, what happens if you click on Choose and then Continue?

Thanks a lot for trying, MM, but while I've been here on the DAZ Forums, I've also at the same time been over at the Preta forums as well as Rendo's. I'm just going to uninstall everything and work from the bottom up. CHEERIO;-)

Michael

edited December 1969

Thanks for trying but you really don't understand. I have done every possible combination of installs over and over again. As I said at the beginning, I've been using DS almost since it's inception and know how to install using all of the different installers. This one just will not go. Something must be wrong somewhere else. I just don't know where.

Hmm. Sorry to hear this.

The reason that I responded was because I got the same error message that you did when I first tried to install. In my case, it was caused by failing to select the DS4 folder properly: I just clicked on the hard disk and hit Continue, and the installer quite properly bitched at me and told me to go back and do it right.

For what it might be worth, here's the exact sequence of steps that worked for me (I just did a reinstall to test it).

1. Launch the Installer.
    2. Click Continue and Agree as necessary to get to the Destination Select step.
    3. Click once on the icon of the startup disk to select it.
    4. Click the Choose Folder ... button to bring up a file dialog.
    5. Navigate until the dialog displays the folder that contains DAZ Studio 4. The DS4 icon will be grayed out, but the Choose button will work.
    6. Click Choose
    7. Click Continue

At this point, it should start the install (it may prompt you to enter your admin password to authorize the install).

If you're getting an error at this point, after following those steps, then something is indeed screwy.

I see that you have DAZ Studio 4.5, which is required for Reality 2.5, so you should be good on that front. If you still have a copy of DS4 on your hard disk, just make sure that you aren't selecting that by mistake.

You also say that you have the 32-bit versions of DS 4.5 and Reality 2.5. Again, if you were trying to install the 32-bit Reality plugin against a 64-bit DAZ Studio install (or vice-versa), then you'd run into trouble - but it sounds as if you've got that covered as well.

The documentation that ships with the installer says to make sure you've uninstalled any Reality 1.x plugin you may have before trying to install (and tells you how to do so), but I'd be surprised if that was causing this exact problem. In any case, if you've just done a clean install of DS 4.5, you probably don't have an old 1.x plugin in its plugins directory.

At this point I pretty much run out of ideas. Your best bet is probably to try either Pret-a-3D support or the Pret-a-3D forums. Paolo's usually pretty good about supporting his users.

Sorry not to be more help. Hope you find a solution.

edited December 1969

One more idea ...

After you open the Installer, go to the Window menu and choose "Installer Log". This will bring up a window that displays the logging output from the Installer. If something is going wrong, it might write something to that log that will help you (or Paolo) to figure out the problem.

edited December 1969

angusm said:
    One more idea ...

After you open the Installer, go to the Window menu and choose "Installer Log". This will bring up a window that displays the logging output from the Installer. If something is going wrong, it might write something to that log that will help you (or Paolo) to figure out the problem.

Help much appreciated, Angusm. Did a complete uninstall and reinstall of DS4.5. Same problem again. I will check the log and see if it turns up anything. But I'm very doubtful. CHEERIO;-)

edited December 1969

Sorry to hear that mate,i have those problems all the time with new plugins and tools and the only thing that worked for me is bringing the tools and their plugins from the same place,sometimes i extract the files on installer exe and put them in a new one with an installer creator tool.......i hope you solve this pain issue of yours.

edited December 1969

angusm said:
    One more idea ...

Help much appreciated, Angusm. Did a complete uninstall and reinstall of DS4.5. Same problem again. I will check the log and see if it turns up anything. But I'm very doubtful. CHEERIO;-)

Here's the installer log and it looks like maybe something to do with permissions??? I'm really not sure what to make of it.

Reality.jpg
    1629 x 900 - 96K
    edited September 2012

I got a message just like that (but not the same words) when i was trying to install a plugin for lightwave,and the problem was that the plugin is incompatible with the software,yes it looks like nothing wrong but it is not compatible with yours somehow.

Post edited by aminrouge on
    edited December 1969

Here's the installer log and it looks like maybe something to do with permissions??? I'm really not sure what to make of it.

I get a very similar message.

I think it is to do with permissions, and I think it's all OK - as I read it, it means that the Installer is (temporarily) running with elevated permissions (RootAuthorization) so that it can do what it needs to do.

I notice one thing, however. In the second line of your log, it's identifying the package as 'Reality_2_2_DS3_32.mpkg", which I take to mean that it's the 32-bit version of Reality 2.2 for DS3. (For comparison, my log window says 'Reality_2_5_DS4_64.mpkg').

If that's right, then it's no wonder that it won't install successfully against DS4.5.

Either you've downloaded the wrong version, or Paolo has got his installers mixed up. Try downloading a new version from his site, making sure that you get the appropriate version of Reality 2.5 for DS4, and see if that resolves the issue.

edited December 1969

angusm said:

I get a very similar message.

I think it is to do with permissions, and I think it's all OK - as I read it, it means that the Installer is (temporarily) running with elevated permissions (RootAuthorization) so that it can do what it needs to do.

I notice one thing, however. In the second line of your log, it's identifying the package as 'Reality_2_2_DS3_32.mpkg", which I take to mean that it's the 32-bit version of Reality 2.2 for DS3. (For comparison, my log window says 'Reality_2_5_DS4_64.mpkg').

If that's right, then it's no wonder that it won't install successfully against DS4.5.

Either you've downloaded the wrong version, or Paolo has got his installers mixed up. Try downloading a new version from his site, making sure that you get the appropriate version of Reality 2.5 for DS4, and see if that resolves the issue.

Sorry. I did'nt mention that I did a complete uninstall of DS4.5 and reinstalled my old DS3 Advanced (32bit. I'm running Leopard 10.5.8 and it's 32bit).

Went to Rendo, downloaded the Reality 2.20.1 117 (DS3 M32 127889 .dmg) and tried to install that version of Reality into my DS3 and lo and behold SAME PROBLEM again.

Also, I did an Archive and install on my OS a couple of weeks ago. But that was even before I downloaded DS4.5

• MrWizard1024MrWizard1024 Posts: 51
    edited December 1969

Two thoughts to try to help here. You may also want to run Disk Utility to fix permissions and to check file integrity.

Are you running the 32-bit or the 64-bit Mac version of DAZ Studio 4.5? The default folder may be "DAZStudio4 64-bit" (not "DAZStudio4"), if that makes a difference.

MrWizard1024

edited December 1969

I did a complete uninstall of DS4.5 and reinstalled my old DS3 Advanced ... Went to Rendo, downloaded the Reality 2.20.1 117 (DS3 M32 127889 .dmg) and tried to install that version of Reality into my DS3 and lo and behold SAME PROBLEM again.

As Mac software author Steve Dorner once said, "There is a simple explanation. Your Mac is possessed by the Devil."

The only other thing I can think of is that there could be weird characters somewhere in the path to your DAZ Studio folder. If you were running a non-English system with strange accented characters in the name of your disk or your folders, that might just possibly cause issues.

Verifying permissions using Disk Utility, as Mr Wizard suggested, is also a good idea.

But other than that, I'm pretty much out of suggestions. Sorry.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited September 2012

Have you tried creating another admin account, then logging into that account and trying to install the software. It could be permissions, it could be a few things.
    I own DS4.5 and Reality 2 but I'm on 10.6 so I don't know if I can reproduce your issue, but I'd try another account and see what it does.
    Once you log into the new Admin account do the disk utilities permissions on the drive. If this doesn't work you can delete the new Admin account and no loss, if it does work it means there is a corruption in your other account.
    another thought: Do you have a password on your current account? If no, create a password, if yes do you have a password containing the "$" symbol, if so change the password to something simple like "password" and see if that triggers the installer to run. If it does you can change it back once everything is finished.

Post edited by StratDragon on