New Iray SkyDome Super Pak available Now [Commercial]

Comments

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996

Grabbed it and it looks fantastic as expected in early tests, but I still wish someone could explain in simple language why adjusting render settings doesn't change anything once it's applied (it's not a problem for results; I just want to understand how it works.)

• magix101magix101 Posts: 165

Hi Guys.

Thanks for buying thr SuperPak, I actually had some difficulty finding it, its not on the main auto scroll of products along with the other new realeases>
    Maybe Daz havent added it there yet.
    Anyway for those that cant find the Read Me its in the \My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Magix101-Read Me's folder.
    Here are the main parts of that Read Me, also if anyone has any questions...just post them here...or we could start a new thread and I will do my best to answer any questions

READ ME

Iray SkyDome Super PAK 1     
    [This product requires Iray SkyDome to be installed]

COPYRIGHT MAGIX 101 2016

All of these products content were created solely by MAGIX-101.

A list of all the files and folders contained in this package are at the bottom of this Read Me file.

I can be contacted at [email protected]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you very much for buying my "Iray SkyDome Super PAK"
    This package is a Super Pak for Iray SkyDome

It features:-
    22  New Pre Set Scenes
    24  New Sky MATS
    40  New Ground Tiling MATS [incl 6 Legacy MATS]
    18  New Water Tiling MATS [incl 2 Legacy MATS]
    33  Horizon Background SETUPS [Incl Horizon Sizes and MATS]
    12  Spin World SETUPS
    12  Spin Skies SETUPS
    131 New Texture MAPS [Incl New HD Skies 12000 x 4000]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    INSTALLING

Simply install it into the Daz-Studio 4.8 plus directory.

APPLYING AND USING Iray SkyDome Super PAK 1

Go to " My DAZ 3D Library\Environments\Iray Worlds\Iray SkyDome\Super PAK1 or where you have the Iray Worlds installed (Check your DAZ installer)

1.Go to the "1 Scenes", the first folder in the "Iray Worlds\Iray SkyDome\Super PAK 1" directory, you will find 22 Pre Set Scenes.
    Simply double click on any one and it will automatically setup in Daz Studio.
    If you wish to see what it looks like simple select NVIDIA Iray from the drop down menu under the View Icon in either the Main or Aux Viewport.
    Depending on your card , it will do a render so you can see what your scene looks like.

Thats it, practically all scenes are lit by a single Iray Sun, to change the Sun Intensity, position etc go to the Main Iray SkyDome Directory
    make sure the Iray Sun is selected in your scene.
    To do this select "IR-Base/IR-Sun" and then go to the main directory and select either "2 Sun Color" or "3 Sun Positions" and apply to your Sun
    for all sorts of different lighting angles and intensities.
    Dont forget that the sky also provides lighting in the scenes, so complete lighting changes requires not just adjusting the Sun alone.

The Render settings should be set up for you automatically when you select a scene from the "1 Scenes" folder, now make sure that the main camera is
    in use, its usually called "Film Cam" you should view you Iray scene through that to begin.

If you wish to change the Sky, Ground, Water, Horizon or spin the World or Skies, go to one of the folders below.
    As an example if you want to change the Sky, then first select IR-Base/IR-Skydome in the Scene Panel, then in Surfaces select IR-Skydome and simply
    apply the Sky MAT of your choice.

If you want to see whats illuminating the Iray world, the Sky or Sun, to see the skies first select IR-Base/IR-Skydome in the scene tab, then select
    Surfaces/IR-Skydome/IR-Skies/Emission and you will see the emission color, temperature and luminance.
    The same also applies to the Sun, first select the IR-base/IR-Sun in the Scene tab and then follow the same procedure in Surfaces.
    As an example if you want to darken the scene simply select Luminance in the Emission section in either the Sun ot Skies or both and simply take off a
    zero, the scene will immediately become a lot darker, because the Sun or the Sky is throwing out less light and light distance.

If you wish to change any other feature in the main scene, follow this basic rule, first select the section in the Scene Panel, then the Surfaces Panel
    and apply the MAT

After you have your scene set up, simply add whatever figures, architecture or props you wish to add by right clicking on them in the Content Library
    and then selecting "merge into scene"

Add an Iray Light of your choice from the Iray-LightSet menu and use "merge into scene"

There are some basic morphs on the IR-Base, to access them select IR-Base in the Scene Tab, then Parameters and then Morphs
    There is also one morph in the SkyDome, select IR-Skydome then Parameters and then Morphs, this morph adjusts the height of the lower clouds.

Thats pretty much it, this Super pak makes Iray Skydome incredibly versatile and you should be able to create very professional looking scenes very
    quickly with a bit of practice.

I really hope you like using Iray SkyDome Super PAK 1, and I hope you will find it adds a new dimension to your Daz Studio creations.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Instant buy for me, too.  I've installed it, but unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to actually try it out as I've been too busy with other projects.  I'll definitely be taking a look at it soon.  What I've seen of the promos look great!

• mambanegramambanegra Posts: 569

Seeing the city skyline sold me on it (and the parent pack as well, of course), and my first render with it is pretty satisfying. I had been using a billboard of a render I had made, which had plenty of problems of it's own, so this will replace that crude attempt at a skyline very nicely!

For future releases (or, if you find yourself updating this one), I might suggest that you provide some utility poses for scaling the ground textures. I had to scale back the water to get rid of that weird pattern effect when a texture map is scaled down to small. Of course, it's not hard to fix that ourselves, but little helpers like that can be nice. Especially if you've already determined which ones work the best (to save us the trouble, lol...yeah, I'm lazy;)

• So do we render with Iray set to scene only or???

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794

I bought the initial pack and grabbed this as soon as it came out.  I am working on it now.  Never had an issue using the first pack.  I seem to have a bit of a challenge trying to get the dark/night sky setting to come out properly so I guess I'll have to really read the user guide for this one....hehe, but overall I love this.

edited April 2016

So do we render with Iray set to scene only or???

It is an actual skydome so:

Set 'Environment Mode' to Dome and Scene

Make sure 'Draw Dome' is set to 'On'

See magix101's answer one below.  I think it's time for me to call it a night and actually get some sleep for once.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
    edited April 2016

Best thing is to use the Pre Set Scenes.
    They include the render Settings, they are all set up so the Scene will rencder perfectly...
    more or less that will give you the perfect starting point, you can then change horizons, skies, water ground etc...using the other
    MATS ...you can add architecture, using the methods described in the Read Me...but as I mentioned, best to start with the preset Scenes

Post edited by magix101 on

The Dome in Iray settings refers to the HDRI image plugged into the settings, which this pack doesn't use (it does things differently, hence my earlier question.) having Draw Dome on or not or changing the lighting type makes zero difference from what I can tell.

So from what I understand, it's an actual skydome (ie giant actually there mesh) thats emissive and that's where the lighting comes from. I'm surprised that still works as an HDRI, but the results are great so

lx said:

The Dome in Iray settings refers to the HDRI image plugged into the settings, which this pack doesn't use (it does things differently, hence my earlier question.) having Draw Dome on or not or changing the lighting type makes zero difference from what I can tell.

So from what I understand, it's an actual skydome (ie giant actually there mesh) thats emissive and that's where the lighting comes from. I'm surprised that still works as an HDRI, but the results are great so

Actually, I was mistaken.  While I knew the settings are pretty much automatic, my memory was a little faulty and I had thought you needed draw dome 'on' which you don't.  Luckily, magix101 responded and gave the perfect answer.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    edited April 2016

My first render using it. Only thing I did was click on the scene Peaceful waters, drop in the sailboat and hide the sea that comes with it, and click render. I may have reduced the mist some with the morphs found under the IR-Base

Post edited by RGcincy on

Oh, problem I forgot to mention: The base installs as Iray Worlds, while the new pack installs as Iray-Worlds, leading to double folders, etc.

For someone who just wants a result, using the included scenes is definitely the fastest and easiest way to go about it.

My confusion stems from learning Iray largely via the Environment render settings panel, which the skydome completely bypasses. Again, this is not a results issue but just trying to understand how it works. 

So far I'm at:

As Knittingmommy pointed out, it's an actual skydome meaning it's physically there. As magix101 stated, the objects are what are emitting the lights/HDRI (didn't know you could plug one in in surfaces, but it's there.) This means the Envrionment settings are completely bypassed, so changing them does nothing. Also, it unfortunately means you can't use the default settings as lighting for background-less character renders since if you turn off visibility of the background you lose all lighting.

So I guess if like me users are used to adjusting those settings for Iray, I can see where the confusion comes in. It just does things completely differently to most other setups. I'm not trying to say one is better or worse, just that different can lead to confusion.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    edited April 2016
    I don't know if it's appropriate here, but I've actually gotten good results using Iray Worlds AND the Iray sun sky environment. I assume it'll also work with the new thing, but haven't gotten back home to play with it yet.
    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353

Just bought the Skydome and the Super Pak because of this thread.

lx said:

Yes thats exactly right...The Dome and Sun (the mesh Sun inside the dome) provide all the light and variations.
    It completely bypasses the iray built in Sun, Sundial, backgrounds and whatever else...its self contained but still using the Iray engine and renderer

edited April 2016
    I don't know if it's appropriate here, but I've actually gotten good results using Iray Worlds AND the Iray sun sky environment. I assume it'll also work with the new thing, but haven't gotten back home to play with it yet.

Whatever you were doing should continue to work.because there is no new geometry, its all new lighting, new skies, new ground tiles etc...but it uses the original geometry

lx said:

Oh, problem I forgot to mention: The base installs as Iray Worlds, while the new pack installs as Iray-Worlds, leading to double folders, etc.

For someone who just wants a result, using the included scenes is definitely the fastest and easiest way to go about it.

My confusion stems from learning Iray largely via the Environment render settings panel, which the skydome completely bypasses. Again, this is not a results issue but just trying to understand how it works. 

So far I'm at:

As Knittingmommy pointed out, it's an actual skydome meaning it's physically there. As magix101 stated, the objects are what are emitting the lights/HDRI (didn't know you could plug one in in surfaces, but it's there.) This means the Envrionment settings are completely bypassed, so changing them does nothing. Also, it unfortunately means you can't use the default settings as lighting for background-less character renders since if you turn off visibility of the background you lose all lighting.

So I guess if like me users are used to adjusting those settings for Iray, I can see where the confusion comes in. It just does things completely differently to most other setups. I'm not trying to say one is better or worse, just that different can lead to confusion.

Hi...
    As it installs you should have a folder called Super PAK1 and that will be in the original Iray SkyDome folder, and within that Super PAK1 folder are all the different Scene, MAT folders etc...each one with a new set of either Scenes or MATS.
    So there whould not be any doubling up, but you can take any of these contents and drop them in the original folders to make it so there are less folders>
    However I packed them this way because if I do more SuperPAKS they can sit below as SuperPAk 2 and and so on...makes it easier to know whats been added and so on...hope this helps.

Unfortunately the original Iray environment settings are too limited for what I was trying to achieve, ...BUT you can (as you get to know Iray better) provide subtle sceondary light from any source, such as the ground,water or even add hidden lights.

This should make the package unbelievably versatile actually.
    I am a music programmer/ composer too...so in a sense the iray SkyDome and SuperPAK is like a VST instrument, it runs in the host (Daz Studio and Iray) but acts almost independentally, it uses the power of Iray but is not using the exact paramaters of the host app (Daz Studio)
    kind of hard to explain, but this is a concept thats very time proven that exists in the Audio world in DAW's...you know plug in synthesisirs, EQ'a and what not, that use their own paramaters within the host.
    Cheers

What I was doing was to hide the sun, set cutout of skydome to about .9, maybe a little higher, then make the sun super bright to burn visibly through. Though if someone tries this approach I highly recommend using Iray canvasses to balance super bright skies and dimmer everything else. (My experience with the default is that the lighting is fairly easy to tone map as-is)
    magix101 said:
    lx said:

So far I'm at:

Hi...
    As it installs you should have a folder called Super PAK1 and that will be in the original Iray SkyDome folder, and within that Super PAK1 folder are all the different Scene, MAT folders etc...each one with a new set of either Scenes or MATS.
    So there whould not be any doubling up, but you can take any of these contents and drop them in the original folders to make it so there are less folders>
    However I packed them this way because if I do more SuperPAKS they can sit below as SuperPAk 2 and and so on...makes it easier to know whats been added and so on...hope this helps.

Unfortunately the original Iray environment settings are too limited for what I was trying to achieve, ...BUT you can (as you get to know Iray better) provide subtle sceondary light from any source, such as the ground,water or even add hidden lights.

I am a music programmer/ composer too...so in a sense the iray SkyDome and SuperPAK is like a VST instrument, it runs in the host (Daz Studio and Iray) but acts almost independentally, it uses the power of Iray but is not using the exact paramaters of the host app (Daz Studio)
    kind of hard to explain, but this is a concept thats very time proven that exists in the Audio world in DAW's...you know plug in synthesisirs, EQ'a and what not, that use their own paramaters within the host.
    Cheers

I added a screenshot to show what I mean: The folder structure makes perfect sense, just that the new one is formatted slightly differently at the Iray Worlds folder level which messes things up. (Installed via DIM, 4.8)

I definitely like the independent setup and how customisable it is (especially now that I understand it.)

One remaining question: Is it possible to make the background (sun sky ground etc) invisible in a render? i.e. keeping the lighting they create via emissives without showing the objects themselves?

iray-worlds.JPG
    335 x 407 - 21K
    edited April 2016
    lx said:
    magix101 said:
    lx said:

So far I'm at:

Hi...

Cheers

Thanks for that ...I dont know what Daz did, but thats not how I set it up.
    It will still worlk fine that way...but as you say its a bit of a double folder thing.
    What I would do is this...
    Close the nerwly installed Super PAK 1 folder and then grab that Super PAK 1 folder and drop it onto the top Iray SkyDome folder...so its nested in there.

Now the bottom Iray Worlds/Iray SkyDome folders should be empty...so delete them.

That should do it, that how mine is set up, makes a lot more sense that way...one Iray SkyDome folder only...with anything else inside it.
    Dunno whats going on at Daz, there have been a few things I have to write to Kevin about...seems like they have almost too much going on
    Anyway bottom line is how yours is currently (from the Daz Install I take it) is fine...it wont mess up, its just that it does not make a lot of sense.

Speak soon 

magix101 said:

I added a screenshot to show what I mean: The folder structure makes perfect sense, just that the new one is formatted slightly differently at the Iray Worlds folder level which messes things up. (Installed via DIM, 4.8)

I definitely like the independent setup and how customisable it is (especially now that I understand it.)

One remaining question: Is it possible to make the background (sun sky ground etc) invisible in a render? i.e. keeping the lighting they create via emissives without showing the objects themselves?

edited April 2016

(One remaining question: Is it possible to make the background (sun sky ground etc) invisible in a render? i.e. keeping the lighting they create via emissives without showing the objects themselves?)

I honestly dont know the answer to that, I doubt it tho, it may be possible, but I imagine it would be tricky.

I think so, if you set cutout to .001 or something. There was a thread about setting up invisible Iray lights, but not sure where it went off to.
    I think so, if you set cutout to .001 or something. There was a thread about setting up invisible Iray lights, but not sure where it went off to.

Yeah I thought I remembered reading something about it somewhere too but wasn't sure. I'll try the cutout thing when I'm done with this current batch of renders, thanks.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Yes - http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Mind-Blowing-Mesh-Light-Tip-For-Iray-554018547

Kerya said:

Yes - http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Mind-Blowing-Mesh-Light-Tip-For-Iray-554018547

That was where I read it! Thank you!

It's great to have a way to use the lighting this set provides without having to limit it to being a complete 3D scene.

The .001 Cutoff tip is great, really is a quite a big deal.
    I am not sure if it works with skies tho as different areas of the skies throw out different light, its more complex than a mesh light even tho it works by the same priciple
    cant wait to try it..

• sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353
    MelanieL said:

I bought this as soon as I saw it, and love it, but just like with the previous Iray Worlds pack, I know I'm only making use of a fraction of what it can do. Is there any chance of a User Guide?

The "Additional Info" in the ReadMe seemed pretty helpful to me?

Strange.  Today Magix 101 is still in the Mad Artists section, but the Iray Worlds SkyDome isn't on sale.

I think virtually none of the Mad Artists are discounting properly today - it was mentioned in another thread. Maybe when it's a little later in DAZ-Land someone will fix it.

Thanks, Melanie. I looked for a readme last night and couldn't find one, so gave up in the end. Your suggestion that one exists has empowered me with an extra burst of search-stamina and I've found it now :)

I haven't found it yet. Where is it, please?

magix101 said:

Hi Guys.

Thanks for buying thr SuperPak, I actually had some difficulty finding it, its not on the main auto scroll of products along with the other new realeases>
    Maybe Daz havent added it there yet.
    Anyway for those that cant find the Read Me its in the \My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Magix101-Read Me's folder.
    Here are the main parts of that Read Me, also if anyone has any questions...just post them here...or we could start a new thread and I will do my best to answer any questions

READ ME

Iray SkyDome Super PAK 1     
    [This product requires Iray SkyDome to be installed]

COPYRIGHT MAGIX 101 2016

All of these products content were created solely by MAGIX-101.

A list of all the files and folders contained in this package are at the bottom of this Read Me file.

I can be contacted at [email protected]

Thank you very much for buying my "Iray SkyDome Super PAK"
    This package is a Super Pak for Iray SkyDome

It features:-
    22  New Pre Set Scenes
    24  New Sky MATS
    40  New Ground Tiling MATS [incl 6 Legacy MATS]
    18  New Water Tiling MATS [incl 2 Legacy MATS]
    33  Horizon Background SETUPS [Incl Horizon Sizes and MATS]
    12  Spin World SETUPS
    12  Spin Skies SETUPS
    131 New Texture MAPS [Incl New HD Skies 12000 x 4000]

INSTALLING

Simply install it into the Daz-Studio 4.8 plus directory.

APPLYING AND USING Iray SkyDome Super PAK 1

Go to " My DAZ 3D Library\Environments\Iray Worlds\Iray SkyDome\Super PAK1 or where you have the Iray Worlds installed (Check your DAZ installer)

1.Go to the "1 Scenes", the first folder in the "Iray Worlds\Iray SkyDome\Super PAK 1" directory, you will find 22 Pre Set Scenes.
    Simply double click on any one and it will automatically setup in Daz Studio.
    If you wish to see what it looks like simple select NVIDIA Iray from the drop down menu under the View Icon in either the Main or Aux Viewport.
    Depending on your card , it will do a render so you can see what your scene looks like.

Thats it, practically all scenes are lit by a single Iray Sun, to change the Sun Intensity, position etc go to the Main Iray SkyDome Directory
    make sure the Iray Sun is selected in your scene.
    To do this select "IR-Base/IR-Sun" and then go to the main directory and select either "2 Sun Color" or "3 Sun Positions" and apply to your Sun
    for all sorts of different lighting angles and intensities.
    Dont forget that the sky also provides lighting in the scenes, so complete lighting changes requires not just adjusting the Sun alone.

The Render settings should be set up for you automatically when you select a scene from the "1 Scenes" folder, now make sure that the main camera is
    in use, its usually called "Film Cam" you should view you Iray scene through that to begin.

If you wish to change the Sky, Ground, Water, Horizon or spin the World or Skies, go to one of the folders below.
    As an example if you want to change the Sky, then first select IR-Base/IR-Skydome in the Scene Panel, then in Surfaces select IR-Skydome and simply
    apply the Sky MAT of your choice.

If you want to see whats illuminating the Iray world, the Sky or Sun, to see the skies first select IR-Base/IR-Skydome in the scene tab, then select
    Surfaces/IR-Skydome/IR-Skies/Emission and you will see the emission color, temperature and luminance.
    The same also applies to the Sun, first select the IR-base/IR-Sun in the Scene tab and then follow the same procedure in Surfaces.
    As an example if you want to darken the scene simply select Luminance in the Emission section in either the Sun ot Skies or both and simply take off a
    zero, the scene will immediately become a lot darker, because the Sun or the Sky is throwing out less light and light distance.

If you wish to change any other feature in the main scene, follow this basic rule, first select the section in the Scene Panel, then the Surfaces Panel
    and apply the MAT

After you have your scene set up, simply add whatever figures, architecture or props you wish to add by right clicking on them in the Content Library
    and then selecting "merge into scene"

Add an Iray Light of your choice from the Iray-LightSet menu and use "merge into scene"

There are some basic morphs on the IR-Base, to access them select IR-Base in the Scene Tab, then Parameters and then Morphs
    There is also one morph in the SkyDome, select IR-Skydome then Parameters and then Morphs, this morph adjusts the height of the lower clouds.

Thats pretty much it, this Super pak makes Iray Skydome incredibly versatile and you should be able to create very professional looking scenes very
    quickly with a bit of practice.

I really hope you like using Iray SkyDome Super PAK 1, and I hope you will find it adds a new dimension to your Daz Studio creations.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    sfaa69 said:
    MelanieL said:

I bought this as soon as I saw it, and love it, but just like with the previous Iray Worlds pack, I know I'm only making use of a fraction of what it can do. Is there any chance of a User Guide?

The "Additional Info" in the ReadMe seemed pretty helpful to me?

Strange.  Today Magix 101 is still in the Mad Artists section, but the Iray Worlds SkyDome isn't on sale.

I think virtually none of the Mad Artists are discounting properly today - it was mentioned in another thread. Maybe when it's a little later in DAZ-Land someone will fix it.

Thanks, Melanie. I looked for a readme last night and couldn't find one, so gave up in the end. Your suggestion that one exists has empowered me with an extra burst of search-stamina and I've found it now :)

I haven't found it yet. Where is it, please?

Others have already posted, but for future reference I eventually remembered someone (Novica, I think) saying recently that you could get to a product's readme by clicking on the 'i' next to it in the DIM (Download Information Manager). I couldn't find this one any other way.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Others have already posted, but for future reference I eventually remembered someone (Novica, I think) saying recently that you could get to a product's readme by clicking on the 'i' next to it in the DIM (Download Information Manager). I couldn't find this one any other way.

Another way: look at the store page, to the right of the promo picture there is the SKU:23387 - now go to Help (uppermost row of the screen), Documentation Center, to the left is Product Read Me's

rembember the number and go to the part 23000-23999, there they are in alphabetical order.

Interesting (and disturbing) - the SuperPAK is SKU:29274 - and 29... doesn't exist in the Readme index ...