"I've become addicted to TV" September Freebie Challenge

Comments

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    I was in Grade 7 in '79.
    Ah... you're younger than I am, but only by three years...
  • shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

I was not thought of in '79 :-)

• Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Good one TJohn

Krissy, from what all the teccy types around are saying, don't bother with upgrading to Win8. They reckon it's going to be another DODO, like Vista was.

you say so? will have to tell my man.. it is almost no money, but do not want to end up with something like vista.. or worst.. millenium...stll have shivers after this one ;)

oh today evening the joy of installing everything...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2012

Yeah Krissy there was quite a discussion about it, both on the forums and else where.

General consensus is that this seems to be a Micorsoft trend, make a good OS version, then a turkey. Millenium ugh, Xp good, Vista ugh Win7 good so win 8 looks very much like another ugh, and a couple or 3 people that I was talking to were running pre release versions either on other PCs or in virtual box, so it wasn't uninformed comment.

And yes the reinstalling is the worst part of buying a spanking new PC, isn't it.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

I use an HP lappie that came with Vista, and have never had a problem. Running it with Norton Internet Security has kept it clean.
    XP on the other hand gave me fits on my previous comp.
    I guess it's a case of "Your results may vary." :)

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    I use an HP lappie that came with Vista, and have never had a problem. Running it with Norton Internet Security has kept it clean.
    XP on the other hand gave me fits on my previous comp.
    I guess it's a case of "Your results may vary." :)

I'm with ya on that one tjohn. I have used many microsoft OS and I have been using Vista 64 bit now for the last four years or so...I also use Norton Security and I have never had a single problem with Vista. Once Richard Haseltine explained to me how to install 32 bit programs outside the programs folder, directly on the "C" drive, I have not had a single problem from any program I have. I think that is what screwed people up with it. It is a 64 bit system and they would try to install 32 bit programs in the programs folder...won't work! Once you learn this, it is smooth sailing all the way. I have over 2 teri-bytes of stuff on mine, and it all works fine with regular clean up, defrag, and registry cleaning. I have windows 7 on my other computer and it works good too, but I have had a crash with it already and I just got it back in Jan of this year. The proof is in the pudding!

:-)

edited September 2012

Still giving Win 8 a miss, regardless, I am actually not looking forward to getting Win7 on this new one, but then I do tend to be a bit old fashioned sometimes.

It dies seem to me that each version of windoze that comes out MS wants to take oever more and more of the processes that users are quite happy doing themselves. Eventually I guess it will get to the stage that you will only need to turn the PC on, and it will do the rest for you without any human input.

THen we can all go back to pencil and paper for images. :roll:

BTW Music I am going one stage further than installing outside of programs, I have ordered a PC with 2 hard drives, and all programs will be installed on the 2nd hard drive. I already keep most of my content on externals, so installation is not going to be too much of a hassle this time (I hope)

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Chohole..our should have everything installed. We getting it from a small buissness, so it is plug and play option.. we got the previo0us one also from them, served us good ;) I only have to install Poser, Paint shop pro and few other programs ) I bet I will finish doing it, and have yet loads to do tonight..

We use XP for so many years now, find it really good, not a problem.. I never had any knowlage of vista, before I ran 98.. That thing was good ;) got Millenium on some sale ( I think we got new hard drive and it was added as a bonus)... after countless resets right after start, we moved back to xp... I a also look forward to Win 7.. didnt upgraded because was using yet old verion of poser, that would not work, now nothing stops us :D

Oh and BTW 23rd is my sons birthday, so I will not be reachable for the whole day untill bed time ;)

edited December 1969

Now you are frightening me. What old version of poser won't work on Win 7? I use an old version of Poser.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Still giving Win 8 a miss, regardless, I am actually not looking forward to getting Win7 on this new one, but then I do tend to be a bit old fashioned sometimes.

It dies seem to me that each version of windoze that comes out MS wants to take oever more and more of the processes that users are quite happy doing themselves. Eventually I guess it will get to the stage that you will only need to turn the PC on, and it will do the rest for you without any human input.

BTW Music I am going one stage further than installing outside of programs, I have ordered a PC with 2 hard drives, and all programs will be installed on the 2nd hard drive. I already keep most of my content on externals, so installation is not going to be too much of a hassle this time (I hope)

I know you don't watch TV, but there is a US television sit-com called "The Big Bang Theory" with an Theoretical Physicist named Dr. Sheldon Cooper who has a genius IQ, an eidetic memory, a huge ego, and absolutely no social skills. On one episode, he had to replace a stolen lap-top and related the following:
    "My new computer came with Windows 7. Windows 7 is much more user friendly than Windows Vista. I don’t like that."

• IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited September 2012

Thumbs up for the theme. Brings back many fond and not so fond memories( most of not so fond goes to the huge number of spanish soap opera's we've been fed on the daily basis). Buffy, Sabrina, Alo' alo, The 70's how, Step by step and there was this show which told the life of a family with three kids I believe and a mother and father who was a psychotherapist. I remember one of the sons was named Mike and the other Ben. Those are still my absolute favorites. Wished I saw this one earlier.

Post edited by Ilena on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,401
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    chohole said:

I know you don't watch TV, but there is a US television sit-com called "The Big Bang Theory" with an Theoretical Physicist named Dr. Sheldon Cooper who has a genius IQ, an eidetic memory, a huge ego, and absolutely no social skills. On one episode, he had to replace a stolen lap-top and related the following:
    "My new computer came with Windows 7. Windows 7 is much more user friendly than Windows Vista. I don’t like that."Now that's just plain wrong on so many levels. :lol:

Why anyone would not want a system to be "user-friendly" is beyond me.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:

"My new computer came with Windows 7. Windows 7 is much more user friendly than Windows Vista. I don’t like that."

I think you forgot Obsessive-Compulsive. :lol:

edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    tjohn said:

I think you forgot Obsessive-Compulsive. :lol:

Yes, but he's not crazy. His Mother had him tested. :lol:

And when he wants you to get out of "his spot" on the couch, never ask him why.
    Bazinga!!

edited December 1969

And I would do a render of that show, but it would just be four guys and three girls sitting in a living room eating Thai food.

edited December 1969

@Tramp Graphics:
    If you knew Sheldon, you would understand. He is so wrong on just about any level you can think of, lol.

edited December 1969

tjon.. you can have plenty freebies there :)
    Love the show to. was not so long ago watching Daily Show qith theactor who plays Sheldon.. I was amaized what a normal, nice guy he was.. Would never think :D

So I am still without desktop. my man had to saty later at work, and didnt menaged before the buissnes closed.. I have no drivers licence so couldnt go #.. I would have to take a bike and my almost 3 year old... that would not work...

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited September 2012

now don't forget that one that had Frank Sinatra singing "Love and Marriage" for the theme. Al Bundy. His fashion exadurated bimbo wife, his son and daughter. Was it "Married with Children" or something like that? I loved that show, just too darn funny. I remember one episode, his wife cooked him a shoe for his dinner, he salted it and tried to eat it, but gave up because it was "too tough and cold"...lmao.

Post edited by music2u4u on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    now don't forget that one that had Frank Sinatra singing "Love and Marriage" for the theme. Al Bundy. His fashion exadurated bimbo wife, his son and daughter. Was it "Married with Children" or something like that? I loved that show, just too darn funny. I remember one episode, his wife cooked him a shoe for his dinner, he salted it and tried to eat it, but gave up because it was "too tough and cold"...lmao.

Yup, I watched that show from the first episode to the last. We watched those kids grow up. He was a shoe salesman. She was a bon-bon eater!

Dana

edited December 1969

Krissy said:
    tjon.. you can have plenty freebies there :)
    Love the show to. was not so long ago watching Daily Show qith theactor who plays Sheldon.. I was amaized what a normal, nice guy he was.. Would never think :D

So I am still without desktop. my man had to saty later at work, and didnt menaged before the buissnes closed.. I have no drivers licence so couldnt go #.. I would have to take a bike and my almost 3 year old... that would not work...

Yeah, he's a great comic actor. They put a gag reel on each season DVD set. It's hilarious watching him fall out of character and breakup when he or someone else screws up.

• tubes_b2169a5d1atubes_b2169a5d1a Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:

LOLLLL Married with children is still playing on TV here
    edited December 1969

I love Married with children... Hey Marvelle we in the same country aint we ;)

But to the show.. I cannot watch anything with Kathy Segal without not imagining her in heels leggings and big hair .... And that including Futurama

edited December 1969

Krissy said:
    I love Married with children... Hey Marvelle we in the same country aint we ;)

But to the show.. I cannot watch anything with Kathy Segal without not imagining her in heels leggings and big hair .... And that including Futurama

Do you mean sweetlake city? or Holland.
    :roll:

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited September 2012

Meh to the Bundys. I'm trying to decide whether to send Ross Martin (Artemus Gordon of Wild Wild West) or Primeval's Connor & Abby into Tom Baker's T.A.R.D.I.S. against the Daleks.

Maybe Stephen Q. Urkel would be better?
    :P

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    And I would do a render of that show, but it would just be four guys and three girls sitting in a living room eating Thai food.

Do the Friendship Algorithm, then! (Sheldon's a rather severely-drawn Aspie-- "sufferer" of the autistic-spectrum Asperger's Syndrome, which I and a few others here also have-- and my First Contact with the show came from my Normal brother, who sent me a shirt last birthday with the flowchart on it.)

edited September 2012

Netherlands Marvelle :)

Hmm.. interesting ideas Eustace :) Would like to see Abby and Connor with the Doctor :D And the update.. still without the desktop, and getting really frstrated by now. we got it yesterday, and it didn't wanted to work, so of to the shop again today...
    I am going today to the city to get one of those handy portable mouses ( like why I didn't earlier.. well let's say my head is sometimes in the wrong place) and going to go trought enbtries, send the gifts and update the gallery.

Post edited by Gloomy007 on
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:

Do the Friendship Algorithm, then! (Sheldon's a rather severely-drawn Aspie-- "sufferer" of the autistic-spectrum Asperger's Syndrome, which I and a few others here also have-- and my First Contact with the show came from my Normal brother, who sent me a shirt last birthday with the flowchart on it.)

Saw the T-shirt , but they didn't have it in my size (extra-medium). I'm still debating about the "Soft Kitty" T-shirt, but I would have to explain it to everyone I know, lol.
    (sings) "Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur..."

edited December 1969

Oke Krissy

To all if you have troubles with the entry freebie please let me know this was our first project so please give us some feedback on the use of it, thanks so much.

• edited December 1969

Mavelle said:
    Oke Krissy

To all if you have troubles with the entry freebie please let me know this was our first project so please give us some feedback on the use of it, thanks so much.

There's an entry freebie? What is it?
  • TorbyTorby Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

In '79? You don't wanna know. I was already in computer programming.