Saving Bryce Objects for Export

Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I have created several cool 3D models using Bryce 7 Pro. While I can use them in my own works done in Bryce and DAZ Studio, I have been unable to save and export them so that I can upload them as free or salable objects for others to use.
I need someone to give me simple step by step instructions on how to do this. If anyone knows how to do this and can send me step by step instructions, I will greatly appreciate it.
I'm new to this kind of thing, so make it as simple as possible.
Thank you.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I shall move your post to the Bryce forum

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I shall move your post to the Bryce forum

Sorry. I'm still trying to figure out how to get around in the DAZ 3D Forums. It is a bit different than before.
  • OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited May 2012

I have created several cool 3D models using Bryce 7 Pro. While I can use them in my own works done in Bryce and DAZ Studio, I have been unable to save and export them so that I can upload them as free or salable objects for others to use.
    I need someone to give me simple step by step instructions on how to do this.

What sort of objects have you used to make these models? Can you supply a render of a couple? Is English a second language for you?

Post edited by Oroboros on
    edited December 1969

Oroboros said:
    I need someone to give me simple step by step instructions on how to do this.

What sort of objects have you used to make these models? Can you supply a render of a couple? Is English a second language for you?
    I use the primitives found in the program. For more complex models I use the symmetric lattice, which can be modified using the deep terrain editor. I'll upload a render for you to see; however, because of limits on file size, it will be a small version. It is my concept of a Berserker ship from the "Berserker" science fiction series.
    As for whether English is my first or second language, it is my only language and I am quite proficient using it.

Berserker_Concept_A.jpg
    768 x 432 - 26K
  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

You will find some valuable knowledge here.

Bryce Artists Guide

Cool image.

edited December 1969

You will find some valuable knowledge here.

Bryce Artists Guide

Cool image.

Thanks for the compliment and the advice. As you can see from the picture, I have my own style. While I like using the models that others create and upload for us, I think my best work comes from my own imagination. It would be great to be able to share some of that with other artists. I.d love to see what someone else can do with the objects and materials presets I come up with.
  • alymacalymac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

in older versions of bryce maybe around 5? , there was a way to group severall objects together and export them as an . obj, unfortunately i have not been able to reproduce this in either bryce 6 or 7.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

You can still group in 7.1 and even collaps it to one object. The important thing is to make each part positive. It won't work if the objects are neutral.

• thye answer is before grouping each object click A Attributes and make positive. Do that for each piece. Then group all together and click A atrributes and make grouped object positive. Then make boolean. you should then be able to export as 3ds from Bryce 7

Well now,it's been a while since my last post in this thread, which was, well, almost four years ago now! My, how the time has flown by! I have learned quite a lot in that time, thanks mostly to the tutorials made by David Brinnen and Horo, which I have followed on YouTube.

The issue concerning what to do to prep a model created in Bryce 7.1 for export, has been answered for me for some time now, but to help with others that wish to know the method, here is a basic rundown of the procedure.

1. When creating your model, each primitive you use to build it must be assigned either a positive or negative Boolean attribute. Do this by clicking on the tiny square with an A in it that is next to that primitive, then in the top part of the Attributes pane click the tickmark box or spot next to Positive or Negative. Then click accept. Do this for all primitves being used in the model. 

2. Now select all of the Primitives you want to be part of the model. If you use the click and drag method of selection, be sure not to include the Camera or other items that may be in your scene. You can avoid selecting the camera by having your view set to Camera, so that when you click and drag across the chosen selections it, won't be in the scene. I suggest having only what you wish to use in your model in the scene for this operation.

3. Once all the primitives are selected, look in the column of tiny squares for one with a G in it. Click on it and you model will be grouped.

4. Now there is a square with a U in it, and another one with a C in it. Click on the one with a C in it. This converts the model and makes it ready for Export. The Square that has a U in it is for Undoing the previous Group operation.

Note that I did not tell you to make the whole model Positive once you have it Grouped! That step is not needed! Once the model is Converted, you do not need to make it Positive either!.What the Conversion process does is make the model all one object. You can now export it in 3DS or OBJ format. Now as Bryce does not have a UV mapping feature, any materials or textures you have on your model will not export well with the model. I would suggest that you import the model into an application that has a UV mapping feature, and prep it there for the UV mapping process and then UV map it.. Make sure you save out the templates that is generated, and then export the UV mapped version of the model. You may wish to overwrite the original model file, or save it with a modified name to preserve your original. You should know though that it is the UV mapped version that will accept textures you make for it; not the original!

Hope this helps!

• @Mage 13X13

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences.

A little additional information. There are hot keys to make the boolean attribute of a selected object positive or negative. SHIFT + P resp.SHIFT + N.

edited April 2016

Post edited by Mage 13X13 on

Electro-Elvis said:

@Mage 13X13

A little additional information. There are hot keys to make the boolean attribute of a selected object positive or negative. SHIFT + P resp.SHIFT + N.

Now that is a small but extremely useful bit of knowledge! Thank you for that! I learned something new about a favorite program! 

• @Mage 13X13

@Mage 13X13

You are welcome. I just realized, it does work only for a single object, not for grouped objects. In a group every single objects get either positive or negative, but not the group itself.

@Mage 13X13

@Mage 13X13

You are welcome. I just realized, it does work only for a single object, not for grouped objects. In a group every single objects get either positive or negative, but not the group itself.

If you group more than one primitive together after assigning positive or negative Booleans , the square with the C in it appears, and it turns your group into a mesh, effectively making your model one object! That can be exported as either an OBJ or 3DS model! But you need to click on the "C" square for this to work. Groups that are not converted in this way will not export!