Carrara vs Daz3D Studio vs Bryce

ivan.ferrero1975ivan.ferrero1975 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi everybody!

I'm testing the free version of Daz3D Studio: simply wonderful.

I'd like to make landscapes too.

I had a look at Bryce, but I have Mountain Lion so that it doesn't load.

I read about Carrara: it seems it can work as character poser and landscape generator.
This would be useful to me: just one software to purchase and just one learning curve.
I say this because I'm not a professional, so that I'm just seeking fun.

What do you think of it?
Is Carrara right for landscape generating (as like as Bryce) and character posing (as Daz3D Studio)?

Are Daz models (Michael, Victoria, etc...) full compatible (and posable) with Carrara?

TNX!

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Hi everybody!

I'm testing the free version of Daz3D Studio: simply wonderful.

I'd like to make landscapes too.

I had a look at Bryce, but I have Mountain Lion so that it doesn't load.

I read about Carrara: it seems it can work as character poser and landscape generator.
    This would be useful to me: just one software to purchase and just one learning curve.
    I say this because I'm not a professional, so that I'm just seeking fun.

What do you think of it?
    Is Carrara right for landscape generating (as like as Bryce) and character posing (as Daz3D Studio)?

Are Daz models (Michael, Victoria, etc...) full compatible (and posable) with Carrara?

TNX!

if you have the money - then yes to all - Carrara 8.5 does what you want .
    to bad Bryce doesn't work for you .

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Bryce does landscapes better and Studio is a lot easier to pose characters in. Some modelling functions are easier in Hexagon (though I'm thinking you aren't interested so much in this aspect. Carrara seems to be a good allround package with some really cool features that you won't find in either Bryce or Studio. I'm still very early in my Carrara journey, but I've had some good experiences with it. While the older figures (M4, V4 etc.) are fully compatible with Carrara, Genesis compatibility is still a work in progress.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    Bryce does landscapes better and Studio is a lot easier to pose characters in. Some modelling functions are easier in Hexagon (though I'm thinking you aren't interested so much in this aspect. Carrara seems to be a good allround package with some really cool features that you won't find in either Bryce or Studio. I'm still very early in my Carrara journey, but I've had some good experiences with it. While the older figures (M4, V4 etc.) are fully compatible with Carrara, Genesis compatibility is still a work in progress.

Genesis works great for me in Carrara 8.5 .

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Carrara is excellent. With the .duf exchange coming soon, one can leverage DS4.5's advantages with Carrara8.5's features. Heady times ahead.

Just wish there were Linux native version of both. (Just HAD to throw that in there :-P )

Kendall

edited December 1969

bigh said:

I'll say you are one of the lucky ones, and don't yet represent the average Carrara experience. To get a workable Genesis I have to import from Studio, and then it isn't usually perfect. At best Genesis results in the 8.5 beta are varied. Smart content for me in Carrara is mostly broken. I'm sure it will all be worked out "soon".

edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    bigh said:

I'll say you are one of the lucky ones, and don't yet represent the average Carrara experience. To get a workable Genesis I have to import from Studio, and then it isn't usually perfect. At best Genesis results in the 8.5 beta are varied. Smart content for me in Carrara is mostly broken. I'm sure it will all be worked out "soon".

Hmmm. Genesis works great for me as well (as it does for everyone here). My Smart Content is connected to a network centric CMS and works fine except for an overly long startup SQL query. Once Carrara 8.5 is up, Genesis works pretty darned well -- especially considering that it has Linux/Wine in the mix.

Kendall

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited September 2012

jimzombie said:
    bigh said:

Hmmm. Genesis works great for me as well (as it does for everyone here). My Smart Content is connected to a network centric CMS and works fine except for an overly long startup SQL query. Once Carrara 8.5 is up, Genesis works pretty darned well -- especially considering that it has Linux/Wine in the mix.

Kendall

Genesis works very well for me as well, but I am using a PC, maybe that's the difference.I also find posing quite easy in Carrara - but that may be because I've used Carrara since Version 2. For some outstanding examples of landscapes in Carrara, take a look at Howie Farkes scenes (http://www.daz3d.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=Howie+Fawkes). Carrara renders faster than DS, and is an "all round" 3D app, where DS is really more designed for just using DS and Poser content (but it does have dynamic cloth).

You should download the trial version and give it a test run. What works well for one person, doesn't always work well for another. Because so much content for DS will work in Carrara, it makes using both applications much easier on the pocket book. Even as a hobbyist, over time you can get comfortable with both (I found learning DS quite easy coming from Carrara and Poser) . This means that you can use DS for what it does well, and Carrara for what it does well.

Post edited by DustRider on
    edited December 1969

Well, if I'm the only one having trouble with Genesis in Carrara, I take back what I said. I certainly didn't get the impression it was working so well, and I know I'm having a lot of trouble with it. A lot of my smart content folders simply don't display anything. I am using a PC, and a fairly good one at that and it is maintained in top order.

edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    Well, if I'm the only one having trouble with Genesis in Carrara, I take back what I said. I certainly didn't get the impression it was working so well, and I know I'm having a lot of trouble with it. A lot of my smart content folders simply don't display anything. I am using a PC, and a fairly good one at that and it is maintained in top order.

Have you made sure that Carrara can see the CMS? Without it things don't go so well.

Kendall

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

Genesis DOES work better in studio admittedly
    but I am finding it pretty good in Carrara
    need patience though, doing stuff too soon, clicking too soon esp with autofit, crashes it
    still lightyears ahead of Poser for compatibility though!!

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Is carrara the one that can generate fur?

I use Hexagon for Morphs/Modelling, Daz for characters, poseing, morphing, lighting and rendering, I have Bryce but have no idea how to use it (I gather it's for landscaping) Carrara I assume is more like Daz??

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:

I use Hexagon for Morphs/Modelling, Daz for characters, poseing, morphing, lighting and rendering, I have Bryce but have no idea how to use it (I gather it's for landscaping) Carrara I assume is more like Daz??

Carrara fur
  • Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

I focus on DS, but have dabbled in hexagon and bryce. I think the functionality is there across the 3

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:

Carrara fur

Wow Wendy, I can't even begin to imagine how long that took to render! Wooot nice job!

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

I'm starting think that Wendy has a secret cat-worshiping cult following her. 1500 views on a non-tutorial render video is pretty impressively large.

• edited December 1969

Think of it this way. DS is like a Presto Burger while Carrara is like a stove. The Presto Burger cooks one thing and does it well, the stove allows you to cook anything.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    I have Bryce but have no idea how to use it (I gather it's for landscaping)

If you have any specific questions, feel free to post them in the Bryce forum, maybe we can get you running with it. While it is geared towards landscapes, you can render any type of scene in it, not just landscapes. Note that it does not allow posing of figures, so you'll still need to pose them prior to sending them to Bryce to include in a scene, which can potentially entail a lot of back-and-forth between two applications. (Sorry ivan.ferrero1975, I know that doesn't help you though.)