Fern Lake & Through The Woods (Commercial)

Comments

• HoMartHoMart Posts: 480
    edited March 2016

another first render

Settings:
    Quality - 2
    converged Ratio - 98%

stopped at 21 minutes at 60%

click on the image to see the right dimentions - was rendered at 2138x1080, downsized to post here

2OT - Fern-Lake-001-IRAY small.jpg
    1920 x 817 - 523K
    Post edited by HoMart on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Hmm. I was going to do a render without DOF, but I realize the lighting and scene composition don't really show the backdrop off very well. I'll do something else in a bit.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,305

I'll just rerender it without DOF for you, Havos. ;)

Thanks, please don't forget to note the time to render. I am interested in how fast this renders. I have other nature scenes, but some are pretty resource heavy and are quite slow to render.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

HoMart - that does look good, very realistic!

• HoMartHoMart Posts: 480
    PhilW said:

HoMart - that does look good, very realistic!

Thanks PhilW, but I just loaded the szene, set up a camera, changed the cam view to leftside view and hit render ..

The rest is all Stonemason and MEC4D magic ... ;)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795
    PhilW said:

Can i clarify - do the instances come across into Carrara (and you have thinned things out for rendering in Octane), or would these need to be recreated in Carrara. The sets look really nice, but if they don't work in Carrara, I ain't buying.

I suspect Instances were added to DS after Carrara's .duf importer was done, so it's really down to Daz to add support (and yes I have raised a ticket!) It isn't that  Carrara couldn't handle the tech after all.

Even so, although you don't get the actual instances, the metadata is still imported, and so  it's just a matter of Cmd/Ctrl-D on the master and bung in the YYZR numbers. There's only 4 or 5 instances of each, so it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes or so . . .

Sounds easy...

If you could do a tutorial thread in the Carrara board on the steps required to get it imported and working in Carrara I would buy this product... 

pretty please wink

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553

HoMart, outstanding render!!

• not sure I'd call any of those older trees fast rendering, it's really only in the last year or two that I've started making trees that are all geometry based and make no use of transparency maps.the transparency is what makes most trees render so slowly,and yes,shrubs and smaller plants are on the to-do list 

"plus obj's included for import to other engines"

Thank you! 

Last night I was poaching trees from every set of yours I own, from US2 to Cloud Temple to Abandoned City to the Enchanted Forests, because you're one of only a handful of modellers (Orestes Graphics, E-Arkham, and a couple of others) who seems to make a point of creating FAST rendering trees. And I was wishing you'd make something like a simple tree/shrub pack. But these sets will be gorgeous. :)

Being a Poser user, I'll miss out on the lovely shaders. But fortunately Caisson and Colm have made some great shaders for Poser. So with the obj's it should work out very well. Look forward to seeing them in the store.

Edit: But you might want to edit your posts: you appear to have mistakenly uploaded one of your photo references. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/6d/fa2381973bef0a65a1469e421408c3.jpg

:D

I know, right. Transparencies are killer, especially using IDL.

And yet, even with your older sets that use transparencies, you are still so efficient with the poly count, that there aren't as *many* transparencies, so -- faster render.  Much, much faster, in fact. And, with only 12 GB of RAM on my machine, those low poly old trees are an excellent way to fill out a scene. In many scenes, you don't need every single tree to have branches fully laden with leaves. Just a hint of them, here and there, can do wonders, which is why the Enchanted Forest sets turn out to be surprisingly useful for adding background elements that also create the perfect forest shadows.

Anyway, I'm off to play with the Fern Lake bundle!!

• I've got one in the oven myself.  Cpu only with just sun/sky pretty much at defaults so we will see how things go and how quickly.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

Got it, could not resist. Trees are my geatest weakness. Now I just need to wait till my actual internet is back to download (trees are a cruel mistress in many ways, oh the irony)

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited March 2016

Ok I stopped it at 2 hours, 100% cpu only, specs AMD A10 3.0 GHZ quad (4) core, ATI video system (so no CUDA cores), Windows 10 64 bit, 6GB ram.

Total Rendering Time: 2 hours 23.45 seconds
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Device statistics:
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CPU:      274 iterations, 66.339s init, 7133.296s render

Convergence was approx. 13% when I stopped it.  All in all I'm pretty impressed!

Click for full size.

Post edited by greymouser69 on
    edited March 2016

Since it looked like it was renderable without too many resources. I went ahead and got the bundle as well. Below is my first attempt, using fairly default render settings. The render took 15 mins using my GTX 970 GPU, and reached 50% convergence, and I doubt it would have improved much if it had rendered longer. A few performance comments:

1) Fern lake uses around 1.5GB to load (although on my system it used 3.5GB whilst rendering).

2) Only the trees close to the lake edge are geometry trees, the bushier looking trees further back, are a photographic back drop supplied in the set. I assume this was done for performance reasons.

3) My GPU memory usage was a bit more than 2GB during rendering, so I suspect people with just a 2GB nVidia card will struggle to render this in GPU.

Fern Lake 15 mins.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 718K
    Post edited by Havos on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

Actually it is under 2GB in Octane in DS and Carrara

iray simply goes and hogs more VRAM if it can like my other GPU based regular iClone which nearly always uses 4GB of my 6 GB 980Ti regardless of size of scene yet worked with my old old 550ti and 1GB.

So I suspect it will work fine on a 2GB card but not with nude HD morphed characters wading in the shallows.

I find the trick with it is to figure out which items are close to the camera and up their SubD. A quick test render helps. Because the geometry looks fine at a few meters+, but when branches drape across view or a rock is right near the camera, it can look subpar (though, again, easily fixed)

edited March 2016

Ok, here's another Fern Lake render. It's large, 2160 x 2160, at Quality 2 hit 46% convergence after 2 hours. I'm pretty happy with it.

I increased ground subd to High resolution/1, some of the rocks are subd 2, and I hid one set of trees that appeared in foreground and I was not completely happy with (close up, some of the leaves seem to 'float' away from the branches)

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Fern-lake-599208654

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • Here it is in 3delight, just load, add camera, set camera to previous preset and render.  Super fast like 2-3 minutes to complete.

click for full size

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited March 2016

Here's a side-by side Iray and Carrara. Iray took around 3 hours to reach 28% on my 2012 i5 iMac (CPU only), Carrara was 1 hour 12. The shaders & lighting still need tweaking in Carrara, but it's a start.

FernLake1.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    FernLake1-ca.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 255K
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

I had some fun with this morning as well 

up into the trees.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 792K
    lake-murkybrown.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 695K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Here's a side-by side Iray and Carrara. Iray took around 3 hours to reach 28% on my 2012 i5 iMac (CPU only), Carrara was 1 hour 12. The shaders & lighting still need tweaking in Carrara, but it's a start.

Interesting comparison - you need some translucency on the leaves (you probably know that already!)

I think I'm going to try a 3DL render, though I'm going to use UberSurface and see if I can copy some of that SSS effect. (or maybe use an ubervolume)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    PhilW said:

Interesting comparison - you need some translucency on the leaves (you probably know that already!)

Yeah, I did a quick test and it had some horrid highlights. I'll go back and work on it some more later. I noticed theres a couple of translucency maps for the cyclorama too.

• JQPJQP Posts: 510
    Mr Timmins: Thank you, I'll keep that in mind.
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312

My firt render using the Fern Lake Bundle.

It only rendered for the default time (2hours, CPU only), using an HDRi for light.

Fernlake.jpg
    1500 x 600 - 564K
  • KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    edited March 2016

Some absolutely stunning renders showing this set off, thought I'd add a slightly magical/mysterious one to the mix.. (full size version in my gallery)

Post edited by KA1 on
  • RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921
    edited March 2016

In Through the Woods i have Invisible Trees in the Texture Shader:

The First Screenshot shows the View through the texture shader view

The Second through the Iray Preview

How I'm supposed to find a good Camera Angle this way?

27-03-_2016_19-21-44_Through The Woods1.jpg
    1705 x 1244 - 592K
    27-03-_2016_19-21-44_Through The Woods2.jpg
    1711 x 1250 - 807K
    Post edited by Renomista on
  • KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    scorpio said:

My firt render using the Fern Lake Bundle.

It only rendered for the default time (2hours, CPU only), using an HDRi for light.

Beautiful!

Renomista said:

In Through the Woods i have Invisible Trees in the Texture Shader:

The First Screenshot shows the View through the texture shader view

How I'm supposed to find a good Camera Angle this way?

A lot of the trees are instances, and these instances are set to visible, but have been set to non-visible in the preview. To alter this select all the instances in the scene tab. Then switch to the Parameter tab, select all the instances here, and in the right hand table scroll down to "Instance Preview". This will be Off, click it and it will change to On, and now you should be able to see all the trees that will appear in the render.

I guess Stonemason did this so that people's machines would not be too slow when browsing the scene, but as you found out, it does make it tricky to position a camera at the edge of the lake.

• TottallouTottallou Posts: 555
    edited March 2016

I tried a sunset version using iray worlds but for me it came out to "orange" - I tried using a filter from the now free Nik Collection & thought the effect was actually looked quite cool so I ended up leaving the orange :)

The actual render was done on basic settings (Quality 1 - 95%)  took about 30 mins

30Minssunset40.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 844K
    30Minssunset40.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    Post edited by Tottallou on
  • CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167

Here's my first Iray run with the Fern Lake - really amazed how well (and quickly!) it renders. I adjusted the water colour to show a bit more organics and less sediment, as that's what I'd expect in this sort of rocky bed. No post processing except convert to JPG.

Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 02328 iterations after 5729.754s.
    Finished Rendering
    Total Rendering Time: 1 hours 36 minutes 36.83 seconds

forest pond.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

When u get crazy colors u can use slightly orange white point color under tone mapping it will remove it .. but looks interesting actually like sunset before thunder , play with white balance you can get interesting moods , the color you choice will be removed in render , so bluish for orange tones, orange for bluish, red  for green and green for red tones like in color negative

Tottallou said:

I tried a sunset version using iray worlds but for me it came out to "orange" - I tried using a filter from the now free Nik Collection & thought the effect was actually looked quite cool so I ended up leaving the orange :)

The actual render was done on basic settings (Quality 1 - 95%)  took about 30 mins