Starting out in Daz

peacepeace Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

What are some items that you should buy from the store if you just starting in daz studios?

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

IIISLYIII said:
    What are some items that you should buy from the store if you just starting in daz studios?

what you want to do first ?

then people can be more help .

• ifourdezignifourdezign Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi IIISLYIII

tbh you can get away with minimal content as a noobie. I've actually only ever 'purchased' 3 things since joining in Jan 2012. The rest I have managed to find in Free content and either modified to suit or mixed and matched.

The most important thing I would say is get one or more of the bundles. Genesis V5 or M5 or even M4 / V4 - at least then you have decent figures to manipulate with morphs ++ included. But like bigh asked, it really depends on your subject.

If you have downloaded Hexagon (Bryce to) you can get into modelling your own props. But that's a learning curve for a noobie (I know this to be true, cause I'm still learning the ropes!)

But look out for freebies before parting with hard cash, cause this package requires a mortgage if you were to buy everything in store!

Renderosity.com and ShareG are good examples of which a lot of the moderators here have supplied links to if you seek out old forum posts.

• peacepeace Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So genesis is the same thing as the victoria and michael?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Genesis is the basic 5th Generation figure. It comes with Basic Male, Basic Female, and Basic Child shapes. V5 and M5 are shapes for Genesis (with some extra morphs and refinements as well). Their bundles include a lot of nice clothing, hair, textures, etc. Also, some characters for Genesis use the V5 or M5 mapping, and won't work without them. Textures mapped for V4 or M4 will work on Genesis without any add-ons.

edited December 1969

Oh ok now i understand, Victoria and Michael aren't their own just character set for genesis.

edited December 1969

IIISLYIII said:
    Oh ok now i understand, Victoria and Michael aren't their own just character set for genesis.

Yes, in Generation 4 there were 3 base figures, V4, M4, and Kids 4; in Generation 5 there's a single base figure, Genesis.

edited December 1969

Wait DS4 doesn't come with the 5th generation genesis?

edited December 1969

IIISLYIII said:
    Wait DS4 doesn't come with the 5th generation genesis?

DS4 comes with Genesis, yes.

edited December 1969

ok thank you for the help i kinda have a better understanding of all this

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

IIISLYIII said:

Victoria 5, and Michael 5 are, (Character sets) which use the Genesis "base figure" as the basic model.
    Victoria 4 and Michael 4, are different 3D models.
    Aiko 4,. Hiro 4, The Freak 4,, She freak 4, are all (Character sets) which use either Victoria 4, or Michael 4, as the "base figure"

Hope that makes sense :)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited June 2012

In the old forum, I started a thread asking people for their ten favorite products. There were a number of interesting responses, and among other things there are various starter bundles mentioned. I think the number one product to look at (if you are/will be a Genesis user) is the Genesis Starter Bundle.

Here's a link to the thread: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=190222

One more thing which is important to understand (and a little confusing for new users, as I know from my own experience) is that most of the 3rd Generation figures (Victoria 3, Michael 3, etc.) and 4th Generation figures (Victoria 4, Michael 4, etc.) are ALSO available as shapes for Genesis...basically making Genesis look like the older figure. There are various reasons why you might want to do this...but it's definitely not essential and as a new user you might not want to worry too much about it for now. The key point here is that there are: older figures like V4, Genesis "legacy" shapes like V4 for Genesis, and newer Genesis-only characters like V5.

At some point you might want to know whether products made for older characters are compatible with Genesis...that's a complicated question, but the short answer is that textures for V4 and M4 work fine on Genesis, clothing for V4 and M4 works on Genesis but with some limitations, clothing for other figures will work on Genesis if you own the equivalent Genesis legacy shape (but with some limitations), and other products for older figures probably won't work on Genesis without purchasing additional things to make them work.

Hope this is helpful!

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Oh, one more thing: if your budget allows, you can get the most bang for the buck by getting one or more of the Pro Suites:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/victoria-5-3d-model-pro-suite
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/michael-5-3d-model-pro-suite
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/victoria-4-3d-model-pro-suite
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/michael-4-3d-model-pro-suite
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/supersuit-pro-suite

The V5 and M5 Pro Suites both contain the Genesis Starter Bundle I mentioned. The other Pro Suites are the V4, M4, and SuperSuit Pro Suites. If I had to pick one, I'd pick the M5 Pro Suite (most of the included clothing and hairstyles would be excellent for any Genesis character, including women).