Bluebird 3D TV - NEW PA Insider: How Else Do People Make Money With Daz Studio?

Bluebird 3DBluebird 3D Posts: 995
edited December 2016 in The Commons

I'm curious! :)

I see posts come up from time to time asking for the attention of Daz Premiere Artists so they can help with something... well now is your chance: If you could ask a full time artist here anything you wanted, what would it be?

Would you keep it about Daz Studio software?

Or would it be something else?

You got me thinking! I had to ask.

~Charlene

Bluebird 3D

Post edited by Bluebird 3D on

Comments

• Hi Charlene,

Id like to ask about learning recources. Ive seen plenty of tutorials on creating objects (clothes, etc.) but I can never seem to find material on texture creation.

Thanks.

• Bluebird 3DBluebird 3D Posts: 995

Oooh thats a really good one, right out of the gate! Thanks, @AnotherUserName

~Charlene

Bluebird 3D

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

What are you doing in my pocket?

• RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

I would Probably Ask on your real life workflow. How much time do you spend on which task and where are the points where problems occure.

Also how many sales are realistic for what class of Products.

• BriannahBriannah Posts: 13

Hi Charlene,

Id like to ask about learning recources. Ive seen plenty of tutorials on creating objects (clothes, etc.) but I can never seem to find material on texture creation.

Thanks.

I second that, that would be very interesting.  

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794

I would definitely ask for a "Step by Step" complete guide on creating a character.  I'm often curious about the general workflow for such.

@kaotkbliss - Totally legit. I'd want to know the same. By the way.. this is a little akward.. but you've got some lint just here.. mind if I vacuum a bit?

@Renomista - I find it facinating that you would find that interesting. Very good feedback, thank you.

@Briannah - Thats two for the the same! Noted for sure. This is wonderful.

@ThatGuy - Human character, animal character, both? Is there any genre in particular you are really passionate about on a personal level?

~Charlene

Bluebrid 3D

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,308
    edited March 2016

Charlene's got a nice new logo!  It's got a little hint of a phoenix.  me likes laugh

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549

Hi BB,

I'd like to ask, would you do my promos for me? *Ducks and runs*

For those that are interested in texturing, are you looking for clothing or buildings or people? Do you need info on where to source base textures, or how to make your own? 2D techniques or 3D painting techniques? Would it need to cover surface settigns for any particular application or shader? All of it? I've been thinking about doing a series of texturing tutorials, so it would be good to have an idea where to start.

I'm also wondering about the level of interest in how to use Daz Studio to create vs how to create content for Daz Studio. I feel like there might be a two different segments of people. When I see someone wishing they could ask a PA something, it is typically in regards to content creation. When I see someone ask how to do something in Daz Studio, it is usually with the idea that the existing community will help instead. 

Would you say that's about right?

~Charlene

Bluebird 3D

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,743

"Is that a PA in your pocket...or are you just happy to see me?"

(sorry...really nothing to contribute beyond that :P  )

Rawn

@FirstBastion - I sure do and it sure is! I'm trilled you noticed. Thank you! :D

@DestinysGarden - Oh.. umm.. funny thing. My schedule just filled right up. Crazy! I have to go do that thing with the thingy in the thing there... urgent business... my deepest apologies.

~Charlene

Bluebird 3D

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994
    edited March 2016

I would ask for a step-by-step guide on how you went about setting up one of your promo images (an example), with particular attention paid to how the lighting was set up. Something like King of Hearts, or Day in Bed. I always see these really amazing promo images with great dynamic lighting made by PAs and I struggle to work out exactly how it was achieved or replicate it. This is something I would absolutely treasure and would help me no end.

Sickleyield already made some good, very helpful videos about it which cover the basics but I think I'm beyond that now and I'd like to see something more complex, like you get with many of the really good promo images.

Please and thank you angel

Post edited by tl155180 on
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I'd ask for time-saving tips - quite a few of them seem able to jam 34 hours into a day!

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

I'd ask for time-saving tips - quite a few of them seem able to jam 34 hours into a day!

I think they do that by simply not sleeping.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

"How do I do this?" About twenty times a day.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I'd ask how PAs started out being PAs.  Did you do freebies first to hone your skills or did step right in it?  How on earth do you figure out how to package things up for distribution! Cripes!  Also, what was it like waiting for DAZ to get back to you on your first commercial submission?  I know, more than one question, but I didn't ask the tons more I also have to keep it short.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited March 2016

Hi Bluebird 3D I love your products. I have so many of them and use them regularly in my animation projects .

My question is this . I pretty much use daz studio for animation and many times I have to kit bash sets together to get that scene or props I am looking for.  Do PA's ever do commission or do collaboration work for/or with animator artist like me  that may need a certain custom model or props for a scene or film & needs to work in animation. for it to work in the film?  many new products coming out don't have enough options  for dynamics when it comes to using them in animation. .  So  Its not that the product created would have to be exclusive to the animation and could be resold in the daz store.... but being a armature animator and not a content creator lately this has been my biggest issue or hurdle. wishing i had a Pa in my pocket so to speak..because during a project I always end up needing something made i can not create myself. and end up half ass kit bashing stuff together in order to try to achieve the results I want/need.

It would be great if PA's could work in collaboration or commission work. it would be such a big plus to animators artist like myself. . the reason I ask is  I have some very big story boards and projects ahead. .  but the hurdle is i have really no way to attain custom props and scenes needed, do you ever do or have thought about commission or do collaboration work for people like me? or is not something that be worth the work verses sales returns in  $$$?   I was just interested if that is something you guys do or not..  

If you like, you can see your dojo in action in my latest film. :)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ0IDT5OJG8

Thank you for reading my comment.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794

@ThatGuy - Human character, animal character, both? Is there any genre in particular you are really passionate about on a personal level?

~Charlene

Bluebrid 3D

Human character in general.  I'm curious to know the overall process and would like a "3D Character creation for Dummies"(for DAZ/Poser) type of step by step guide that covers the whole process...from obtaining and applying skin resource material, to make up, to scuplting body/head, etc.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Bluebird: I really enjoyed your drum set creation tutorial and have watched it several times, I did get lost when you started the section of creating for poser as I know nothing about poser, with that said what  I would like to see is a product whether it be a prop, clothing , or person created totally from start to finish from modelling to rigging, creating bones, weightmapping, texturing including the UV mapping,and how to create the textures, and setting it up in DS to work in DS.  whether that would be a video series on each section or whatever  as long as it was complete. So many tutorials out there are for older versions of DS and if you are totally new to this sort of creating it's a little hard to adapt to new versions when you don't really know what you are looking for. Another type of tutorial I would be interested in is how to create shaders for both 3delight and Iray

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327

I think they do that by simply not sleeping.

You got that straight.

edited March 2016
    Renomista said:

I would Probably Ask on your real life workflow. How much time do you spend on which task and where are the points where problems occure.

Also how many sales are realistic for what class of Products.

Well I can't speak for everyone but it typically takes me 3 months to do a products. 1 month is dedicated to modeling and mapping, 1.5 months on texturing and half a month on DS settings, presets and packaging.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • TesseractSpaceTesseractSpace Posts: 1,153

What is the longest you've ever spent on a single product?  

6 Months

• TesseractSpaceTesseractSpace Posts: 1,153
    edited March 2016
    frank0314 said:

6 Months

I'm tempted to ask which product... but it's fun to guess.

Post edited by TesseractSpace on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Hi BB,

I'd like to ask, would you do my promos for me? *Ducks and runs*

Your promos are really pretty- good lighting, show the products clearly (best renders of shaders- can really see the details!) and I love your poses in the underwater scenes! smiley 

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,308

The bigger the project,  generally the longer it takes to make.  Not always, but usually.

frank0314 said:

Well I can't speak for everyone but it typically takes me 3 months to do a products. 1 month is dedicated to modeling and mapping, 1.5 months on texturing and half a month on DS settings, presets and packaging.

And they're SO worth waiting for! 

So far as texturing, I think creating the UV's and the seam discussions weren't very clear to me (this was long ago when I looked at it.) How do you know if seams are good?  What is good about a UV? What should you be looking for? So from the beginning, a CLEAR discussion on not only how to make them, but what makes the difference in a so-so vs a good and a really good UV map. For texturing, starting at the beginning and doing the same thing. There's quite a few programs that do UV mapping, which are better and why?

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004

Hi Charlene,

It's 10 years old, but Stefan Morrell's "Painting Hard Surface Textures" tutorial is still the best thing EVER. (Stefan is better known to all of us as Stonemason.wink) It's free: http://www.game-artist.net/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=22 .