I cant get bryce to run on 64 bit win 7

what do i do ?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

Are you getting a "side-by-side" error?

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26347

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948854

In summary, the 64-bit operating system ships with the 64-bit version of Visual C++, but 32-bit programs like Bryce need the 32-bit version as well.

• silk_99cfbbf5d0silk_99cfbbf5d0 Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

Are you getting a "side-by-side" error?

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26347

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948854

In summary, the 64-bit operating system ships with the 64-bit version of Visual C++, but 32-bit programs like Bryce need the 32-bit version as well.

I take it you mean the .net run time, as C++ it self will run on both platforms.

Yeah Bryce is 32 bit only so it does require 32 bit runtime, which should already be on your system and {Ah hmm, Bryce should be checking for it on install, [Hint to programmers] }

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

It's a missing Visual C++ .dll that Bryce, and some other 32 bit programs need.

You need to download and install the vcredist_x86.EXE from the Link that Mike gave.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    It's a missing Visual C++ .dll that Bryce, and some other 32 bit programs need.

You need to download and install the vcredist_x86.EXE from the Link that Mike gave.

Ah, OK. I tend to forget about the dll's. Haven't had the opportunity to create any yet.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Ah, OK. I tend to forget about the dll's. Haven't had the opportunity to create any yet.

Unfortunately so did Microsoft in this case and that's how the problem started :)

edited October 2012

Unfortunately so did Microsoft in this case and that's how the problem started :)

That I don't know. I have a 64 bit system and I have had no issues installing bryce at all. Both 6 and 7 installed fine. But something else may have installed the dll. Thats beyond my knowledge.

Edit: Hey I didn't have to log in this time. Must be due to clicking on the link in the email. Hmm...

Post edited by silk_99cfbbf5d0 on
    edited October 2012

I bought a brand new PC, with Win 7 64 bit, and, after installing my AV app, the first prgram I installed, strangely enough was Bryce 7. However, because I have explained it to so many people I was not at all surprised when I got an error and had to go download the file and install it. In fact I kicked myself for not having done it before starting to install Bryce. I guess I just thought I might be immune. LOL

Post edited by Chohole on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I'm not so sure about 'forgetting'...seems more like a not so subtle hint 'your software needs to be replaced, because it isn't 'modern' enough for Windows, any longer!'

That I don't know. I have a 64 bit system and I have had no issues installing bryce at all. Both 6 and 7 installed fine. But something else may have installed the dll. Thats beyond my knowledge.

Edit: Hey I didn't have to log in this time. Must be due to clicking on the link in the email. Hmm...

The vcrun dlls that are missing are sort of 'duplicates'. Not everything needs both the 32 and 64 bit packages...but many do. And some will automatically install them when being installed.

• SpecmanSpecman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This leads to a good question. When will there be a 64-bit bryce release for windows ?

Daz studio has a 64-bit and 32-bit release be nice if we could get both for bryce... Just a thought. 64-bit would so nice for memory usage :)

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Specman said:
    This leads to a good question. When will there be a 64-bit bryce release for windows ?

Heh, well we can only hope, but I don't advise holding your breath! Sadly Bryce has been out of a development cycle for a long time now and it doesn't seem to be a high priority for daz right now either.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited October 2012

Sadly Bryce has been out of a development cycle for a long time now and it doesn't seem to be a high priority for daz right now either.

Though I agree that 14 months is a long time to wait, it is nevertheless interesting to note that:

Between Bryce 4 (Metacreations) and Bryce 5 (Corel), there were 33 months of pause (March 1999 to December 2001).

Between Bryce 5 (Corel) and Bryce 5.5 (DAZ 3D), there were 40 months pause (December 2001 to July 2005); Corel did nothing to Bryce.

Between Bryce 5.5 to 6.0 (DAZ 3D) there were 15 months pause (July 2005 to October 2006).

The dev cycle Bryce 6.0 to 6.1 lasted 5 months (October 2006 to March 2007).

The dev cycle Bryce 6.1 to 6.3, to 7.0 to 7.1 started after 33 months (March 2007 to December 2009) and it lasted for 32 months from December 2009 to August 2011.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Looks like someone's keeping track. Just joking. With Corel was the done nothing part after version 5? Cause it seams to me there was a difference between 4 and 5 besides a name change. I could easily be wrong, since 4 was the only version I skipped.

edited December 1969

Looks like someone's keeping track. Just joking. With Corel was the done nothing part after version 5? Cause it seams to me there was a difference between 4 and 5 besides a name change. I could easily be wrong, since 4 was the only version I skipped.

No, not keeping track as such, I just opened each one and checked. Never delete a working program. Corel brought the Tree Lab and the Light Lab, there were lights in 4 but with very limited controls. The Terrain Editor also got more options. Talk was skipped. Bryce was sold to Corel when development on 5 already started, so it's not clear what Corel actually contributed. Fact is, Corel was not interested in Bryce anymore and didn't continue developing it. We were very happy that DAZ 3D acquired it.
    edited December 1969

I seem to remember that when Metacreations announced that they were getting rid of all their software there was all sorts of doom and gloom floating around, especially in the Bryce community, with even an attempt to form a consortium of users to raise enough money to buy and support it, which wasn't very successful.

edited December 1969

Again, when Corel announced to get rid of Bryce, we started a petition: http://www.bryce5.com/categories.php?cat_id=13 Perhaps it helped, but I rather think not. But it was a nice try.

edited December 1969

Well, whether it did or not, at least Bryce has never suffered the same indignities as it's stablemate Poser did, especially with the Curious Labs debacle.

• gafx29gafx29 Posts: 1

I try to render an abstract art image in Bryce 7.1 pro . It keeps saying Memory error and wont let me render . I am running 64bit 8.1pro / Any Help ? Why wont it let me render . I set the Document size to 20 x 16 and then ; render to disk settings the same with a 300 dpi . and the program keeps saying 

OUT OF MEMEORY what they heck  ? 

edited January 2016

gafx29 - welcome to these forums. As a 32 bit application, Bryce is limited to 2 GB. It does everything in memory. However, if your system has more than 4 GB, Bryce can be made large address aware and then handlses up to about 3.5 GB. Watch this video 

to get help how to do this.

Post edited by Horo on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667
    edited January 2016

Tech powerup forums has a largeaddressaware exe

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Yup, as mentioned in the video that also explains how to use it and why you should get the process monitor at the same time.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I run Bryce on 64 bit with Windows 7 just fine. I ran into the memory issue as well and did as Horo and JauguarElla suggested, with the large adress aware and it works just fine now, no issues with memory since.

• AtiAti Posts: 9,078

I ran into an interesting memory issue: I can render a scene fine (Bryce is using 3,4999999 G memory :))), but I cannot save it. It says out of memory when I try to save it.

I'm using big props in the scene, so I'll have to solve this some other way. That's for tomorrow. I think I already know how I'll go about it. This is something we just need to keep in mind, and try to work as memory-efficiently as possible. Which is always a good thing.

One thing to remember when using Bryce is that Bryce uses uncompressed textures when the are iamge based textures.   So even though the texture you use may be a jpg texture, Bryce will uncompress it back to the kb size of a BMP.  Textures can cause quite a few of the out of memory problems, especially as nowadays many vendors are using larger higher res textures.

I have a series of character skins that I use a lot which I have reduced the pixel size of and saved a copy, in order to make the kb size smaller.

Ati - as Chohole said. Remember that Bryce compresses the file in memory before it is saved. If you're at the limit, your scene renders but cannot be saved anymore. I highly recommend to run Process Monitor to check memory usage only for Bryce. The Task Manager shows all memory used, and in my experience makes some controls in Bryce unresponsive.

• AtiAti Posts: 9,078

Chohole, Horo, thanks for the tips. I'll keep this in mind. I tried too many new things at the same time, and they added up... I guess I should learn this one step at a time. :) This is when I realize that 64-bit has so many pros. :)

• launoklaunok Posts: 774

Then I am lucky as Bryce 7.1 run on my 64-bit laptop on Windows 7.  I have upgraded to Win 10, 64 bit and still running.

• WandererWanderer Posts: 956

Hey, any other options for fixing this error? I've installed all the bits that I'm supposed to install to fix it, but it still fails with the side-by-side error. I had a major hardware failure a few weeks ago, so I'm re-installing and have been stumped. I've followed the article here: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207528753-Side-by-Side-Configuration-in-Bryce-7. I have to admit I'm out of ideas for fixing it. Windows is updated, all the linked bits have been installed. I've uninstalled and re-installed bryce 7.  

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Hey, any other options for fixing this error? I've installed all the bits that I'm supposed to install to fix it, but it still fails with the side-by-side error. I had a major hardware failure a few weeks ago, so I'm re-installing and have been stumped. I've followed the article here: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207528753-Side-by-Side-Configuration-in-Bryce-7. I have to admit I'm out of ideas for fixing it. Windows is updated, all the linked bits have been installed. I've uninstalled and re-installed bryce 7.  

I often find that while you may think you have the various vcruntimes installed, they may not be matching versions.  The only way I know of to be sure that it is correct is to make sure that you install both the 64 and 32 bit packages of the same version number.

• WandererWanderer Posts: 956

Hey, any other options for fixing this error?

So, sorry about this, but I got it fixed. I found this solution: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/bryce-71-side-by-side-error/095ccdc2-0142-418c-97d4-5e7a1422e0bd. I didn't do any restores or roll-backs. I simply used the redistributable linked to in the solution. Apparently the other versions of vcredist_x86 I had were incorrect. One came directly from Microsoft, others were provided by links found here on DAZ website. One downloaded automatically during one of my install attempts of Bryce 7.1 Pro. None of those others fixed the issue for me, but the one linked to in the solution above did. Not sure how this one works and the others provided to me didn't, but good luck if you encounter this.

• Where do you set the path for Bryce 7 Pro to install