+
    "Bryce is not compatible with the last 3 OSX releases"
    +
    "You can run an old version of OSX in a partition just for Bryce"
    +
    "It works on Windows"
    =
    abandonware for Mac users.

Been using Bryce since Bryce 2. Was sad to come back to Daz to download my license on to a new mac and discover this debacle.
    Sad really.
    You can say you haven't abandoned it all you want but as you have no idea when or if anything will change we'll just assume it is abandoned until we hear something concrete.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited December 1969

As an alternative- the latest version of Photoshop has some/very few Bryce related capabilities.

• edited March 2015

Is there any possible news about Bryce 7 Pro being compatible with newer MacOS Maverick 10.9.5 or Yosemite?

There is something weird and that I do not what to think, I mean

Is very curious that I have seen that Bryce 7 Pro is available in the Mac App store (itunes) for 99.99$ AND the interesting part and most related to the topic of this thread is this text shown here

Mac App store Bryce 7 Pro direct link

Compatibility: OS X 10.6.6 OR LATER

Released: Jun 10, 2011
    Version: 7.1
    Size: 317 MB
    Language: English
    Seller: DAZ Productions, Inc.
    © 2011 DAZ 3D

IF Bryce is NOT compatible with Mavericks or Yosemite, How they are selling this on the Mac App store?

Or maybe is that they do not know that this does not work on newer Macos

Thanks for any news and help

Post edited by spaceray2005_e908957707 on
  • MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited December 1969

SpaceRay- I guess no real news but a confirmation here.

The reviews of this in the App Store are people confirming it doesn't work in Lion so I bet it just hasn't been updated. There is also a note (attached below) in the app description that I do not believe was ever followed up on.

I've combed the forum and it doesn't look like it will be updated for Yosemite.
    I tried really hard to get it to work, except for the Windows/BootCamp ideas, I tried using WINE. No luck.
    My brother told me the current version of Windows I would need to install is flakey.
    I found contact information from some of the builders of the program and they are not interested. One is doing something similar but there doesn't appear to be any import/export options. Actually he confirmed that it would not export OBJ files.
    I experimented with many similar programs for various reasons I could not go with any of those.

My final solution was that my mom finally retired her old MAC to me for Christmas, and guess what? It has Snow Leopard on it so I was able to get Bryce to work. JOY! BTW I have a disk copy of Snow Leopard and tried to install it on a machine that has Yosemite- no good. I could not go backwards with the OS.

The other attachment is a note from my chat with Apple about which old MAC to buy. There are still companies selling these as refurbs.

It's great to have this program back. I hope you find a solution.

Screen_Shot_2014-11-17_at_2.07_.20_PM_.png
    298 x 175 - 30K
    Screen_Shot_2015-03-13_at_3.07_.40_PM_.png
    758 x 51 - 12K
  • ultramaficultramafic Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

As a Bryce user from the '90s (first saw it in a CompUSA store -- remember those?), I, too, miss a modern Mac-compatible version. I've got a Mac Pro tower that's old enough to boot Mac OS 10.6 and keep a 10.6 partition to do so, but be advised that System Preferences under 10.6 doesn't recognize a 10.10 (Yosemite) partition as bootable -- to get back to 10.10 you must boot through an operating system version that can be seen by 10.6 and that itself sees 10.10, such as 10.9. I know that Parallels is another option, but I haven't bothered since I've moved to a non-Bryce alternative. Which is a shame, because I really like the Bryce interface, funky as it is, and prefer its renderer, slow though it might be. Every so often I check to see if there's an update. In DAZ 3D's defense, Bryce must be a bear of an application and I don't envy anyone working on its code.

• edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Bryce is the only one that doesn't work on a newer Mac. all the others are working. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19948/

Aye, that's no very good - and the poxy windows version I'm having to use seem to be very buggy... >:(

• You guys could try my solution.  I ordered a copy of OSX 10.6.8 server from Apple (get it before they stop selling it!).  Then I built a VMWare Fusion virtual machine out of the 10.6.8 DVD that Apple sent me.  Works great.  Costs a little more that parallels, true.

• Then I built a VMWare Fusion virtual machine out of the 10.6.8 DVD that Apple sent me. \

How exactly do I do that?

• I have also got Bryce 6 and 7 to work on my new iMac 5K running El Capitan OS.  As cdunson_4ce635457f said, get Snow Leopard Server version from Apple and VMWare Fusion. It is easy to install an operating system with Fusion, just read their manuals and online help tutorials.  The trick is standard Snow Leopard does not work, but the server version does. And I have Bryce running on the full 5K resolution display as well. Still have the limitations of the original software with the known issues however.  But, at least it works for me.  I did the install of Snow Leopard Server a couple of years back when 10.8 was the curent OS, so no longer remember how I did it, but I just used Google found advice. It was not that hard.

IMG_5701.JPG
    1800 x 1350 - 785K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858

you have an Australian $2 note :) ....i havnt seen one of those for a long time :) ....used to be my weekly pocket money! :D

• This is great. It looks like for about 140 quid (VMWare Fusion & Snow Leopard Server) plus a little learnin' 'n fiddling, Brycers of the Mac persuasion can have Bryce7 running on the latest hardware.

I hope this works out for more people and we can see a resurgence.

• MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324

You would think Daz would see this and realize that there are a lot of Bryce users willing to spend money to get it working again and then make an update. Most would pay some money to get it back on the Mac and make it 64-bit on Mac and PC.

• edited June 2016
    MacSavers said:

You would think Daz would see this and realize that there are a lot of Bryce users willing to spend money to get it working again and then make an update. Most would pay some money to get it back on the Mac and make it 64-bit on Mac and PC.

Aye you'd think that.... they don't even know when Bryce will re-enter the dev cycle.... so maybe they should sell the source code to someone who will develop it for the new Macs - hell, even make it open source - so we're not being left hanging!

Post edited by akeel1701_2a0cb6b70c on
  • I've started looking at other programs to replace Bryce - what do you think of Cinema 4D?

i would recomend blender ;)

• Tim82 said:

i would recomend blender ;)

Cheers, Tim, and can it render as good as Bryce?

after a tiny bit of learning on how it all works, it renders about the same as iray if not better :D

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398

Vue or World Builder are similar to Bryce. Like Bryce they can easily create landscapes & environments. I demoed both long ago but stayed with Bryce, I prefer the KPT interface in the DTE

• MonkeyTMonkeyT Posts: 9

I just got Bryce 7Pro to install with a VM Snow Leopard Server in Parallels 11.  No real tests yet, but nice to get this far.  Damn, I've missed this program.  

As for contemporary replacements, I haven't found a landscape generator I like, which is a shame, because Bryce would be freaking amazing on an iPad Pro.  It's practically a touch-oriented interface as is.

For straight 3D on Mac, I strongly recommend Cheetah3D, about to release Version 7 (here in June, 2016).  I've been able to apply a lot of my understanding of the Bryce DTE to Cheetah3D's procedural material editor.  It's inexpensive, it's got beautiful renders and a great modeller.  Use their support forum, the author posts regularly and there are many skilled users who post all the time.

A lot of what I've learned from Cheetah3D translated straight into Blender, which is also very nice, but not as Mac friendly.

• Like others, I periodically check back for a working version or some sign of life from Bryce.  If Bryce Larkin made it back from the dead, why not Bryce 7?  At this point, we're talking Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, and El Capitan.  That is 5 years and no mention of even planning to go back into the dev cycle.  The last update was what 2010? so about 6 years ago.  For comparison, Bryce 6 was 2006 so only 4 years to 7, and that was with updates in 2009 to Bryce 6.

So Vue, Terragen, any other dedicated to landscape generation?  World Construction Set is Windows only. 

Natural Scene Designer (this was an Amiga program, and still updated to run on latest Mac OS).

There are a few others unless you want to model terrain yourself in Lightwave, Modo, Maya, Cinema4D, Blender, or similar.

Vue can load DAZ objects/animations if you ask nicely enough.  I cannot be sure about the others, but doubt it.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    MonkeyT said:

As for contemporary replacements, I haven't found a landscape generator I like, which is a shame, because Bryce would be freaking amazing on an iPad Pro.  It's practically a touch-oriented interface as is.

That would be kind of cool, actually, especially when you consider that the iPad Pro is more powerful than the computers the first couple of versions of Bryce actually ran on.

A few years ago DAZ had some screen shots of Genisis characters running on an iOS app they'd made (different characters, poses, etc.) and I'd still gladly pay for a stripped-down, iPad version of DAZ Studio for doing quick, simple renders of characters to use as base figures to paint over inside tablet art programs for quick creation of web comics.

-- Walt Sterdan 

• I'm successfully running Bryce 7.1 for Windows in Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 using Wine (mentioned earlier in this thread) an interface for running Windows programmes on Linux and Mac.

Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 12.18.17.png
    1920 x 1075 - 2M
  • Well, if there is anyone from DAZ 3D reading this, take note: 

Unless you bring out a new version of Bryce that runs on the current OSX (SIerra, El Capitan as of this  writing) I will not purchase anything from your company and I encourage others to boycot you as well. It is a disgrace how you handled this, even selling Bryce for a while without warning that it no longer runs on current OS.

To anybody who is interested in rendering landscapes, whole planets etc. just like Bryce could do it, there is an alternative out there. It isn't cheap but it does a fantastic job: Terragen 4 from planetside.co.uk. I am not affiliated with that company. I just found their product very useful indeed. If only it had the interface of Bryce...

• This is great. It looks like for about 140 quid (VMWare Fusion & Snow Leopard Server) plus a little learnin' 'n fiddling, Brycers of the Mac persuasion can have Bryce7 running on the latest hardware.

I hope this works out for more people and we can see a resurgence.

I knew Kai, amazing piano player. I've been using Bryce since the beta... I was gifted a Mac, running El Captain and to my dismay B 7.1 kept crashing... now I know why (after hours hacking code to make it work)! I am going to do what is recommended here: VMWare Fusion & Snow Leopard Server