Smart Content pane empty after installing DAZ 4.5 + Genesis Essentials

morgan-2154825morgan-2154825 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Dear Daz,
I just downloaded and installed Daz, which looks amazing. Sadly I have encountered a few problems.

When I click the "get 3D models" icon that appeared on my desktop when Daz installed I it opens a browser and gives me a 404 error. The link points to http://www.daz3d.com//newsletter/2011/redirects/10467__DAZ3D_New_Releases.php

The documentation page the installer takes me to says, next to a large red X, that "This version (2012/03/13 20:40) is a Draft.". Further examination reveals that all your documentation pages are drafts.

But my most pressing problem is that I installed DAZ Studio 4.5 and the Genesis Starter Essentials (Windows, 32 bit), and when I start DAZ, I see the default genesis character pre-loaded in the scene, however when I open the Smart Content tab, there are no Files or Products available - it's completely blank. Selecting the Shaping tab shows the various Genesis morphs though - it's just Smart Content that's not picking anything up.

I can find all the Genesis content in the Content Library tab (DAZ Studio Formats -> My Library -> People -> Genesis), and I have verified that the directories under Preferences: Content Library: Content Directory Manager seem to be correct. I also tried Re-Import Metadata from Content Database Maintenance, but the Smart Content tab remains resolutely blank.

Is there something I've missed installing, or some additional setting that needs to be changed in order to activate Smart Content? Could this be in any way related to my not having entered a serial number on the first screen (even though I created and verified an account with DAZ 3D, there are no serial numbers listed on the My Serial Numbers page on the web site)?

This is very frustrating as I am trying to do the Fiery Genesis tutorial and I can't get past step 1! :(

Morgan

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You need to make sure that the Content Management Service (CMS) is running as Smart Content relies on this to work.

Look in Windows Task Manager to see if it is running, probably not, then go to Start > All Programs > DAZ 3D and Start the CMS from there.

• morgan-2154825morgan-2154825 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I started the content management system and then started Daz, but nothing has changed. What is the name of the process for the content management system?

Morgan

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

the name on task maneger,
    "DAZcontentsManagementService"

if you use windows pc , You can start CMS from your pc windows menu too.

then
    1 quit daz stuido 4,

2 click windows start menu
    all aprications>DAZ 3D>DAZ conents managements service>
    stop cms , dos prompt window may open.
    agin start cms

3 run daz studio again, and check it.

then check again, how do you see the contents?

or you can check log files from daz studio top menu,
    help>troubleshooting>view log file.

• DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

You will also want to make sure you've installed the updated content package for the new build. There have been some changes to the content and it needs to be installed to see the data in the My Content Tab.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Good point BF, I hadn't thought about that.

@morgan
    You need to install the file called 14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.3_trx.exe, did you do that?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

If the CMS is running and you aren't being prompted to import the metadata for Genesis Starter Essentials, go to the Content Library tab options menu (rectangle with horizontal lines in the upper corner) and choose "Content DB Maintenance > Re-Import Metadata".

edited September 2012

The file 14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.3_trx.exe is the one I installed.

I was prompted to import the metadata and I went through the process.

The problem is that the CMS is not starting. I get this message in the system log - The DAZ Content Management Service service terminated with service-specific error 10035 (0x2733).

Anyone got any idea what this means?

Morgan

Post edited by morgan-2154825 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited September 2012

What firewall/AV are you using?

What version of Windows?

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

I am using Windows XP, Norton Antivirus and Windows firewall.

Morgan

edited December 1969

That particular error is usually because a firewall is blocking a port the server needs to use (that range of exception numbers deals with DNS/ports)...I haven't used the Windows firewall, but you may need to make an exception for the CMS...maybe in Norton, too.

edited December 1969

I turned off both the firewall and Norton Antivirus and I still get the same error. Does the service keep a log file that I can view?

Morgan

edited December 1969

Yes, it should be in a folder named 'vlogs' and probably is in the application's install folder (in XP at least),

edited December 1969

The first instance of this log says ;

/*************************************************************************************/
    Sat Sep 8 2012 13:51:37.000000 ContentManagementServer (4.8.1, Kernel 4.8.1 )
    Licence license_emb_4422548148518942 is registered to DAZ3D.
    Valid until 9999-12-31. Subscription valid until 2013-02-08.
    Maximum number of connections: 5

Sat Sep 8 2012 13:51:37.437000 (TID 3948): ERROR #3: Cannot create 'master' database.Make sure [SystemCatalog] variable points to an existing path
    Sat Sep 8 2012 13:51:37.547000 (TID 3948): Server terminated

While subsequent ones just say;

/*************************************************************************************/
    Fri Sep 14 2012 13:43:08.382000 ContentManagementServer (4.8.1, Kernel 4.8.1 )
    Licence license_emb_4422548148518942 is registered to DAZ3D.
    Valid until 9999-12-31. Subscription valid until 2013-02-08.
    Maximum number of connections: 5

Fri Sep 14 2012 13:43:08.398000 (TID 2376): ERROR 0x3: Cannot open 'master' database
    Fri Sep 14 2012 13:43:08.414000 (TID 2376): Server terminated

Any ideas?

Morgan

edited December 1969

Ok, need to find the path of the server...the exe file should be named ContentManagementService.exe and then the path of the database...

~~~\Daz 3d\Content Management Service\ContentDB.dat with the first part of the path being somewhere in your user profile (I don't have mine installed in a standard location so my path isn't going to help, plus I'm running on Linux with DS running in WINE).

edited December 1969

The path of the server is "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service" (ContentManagementServer.exe is in that directory). Interestingly there is an INI file in there (ContentManagementServer.ini) with the setting:

; The path, where sysdatabase are stored.
    SystemCatalog=C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service/databases

Could this be relevant? Note that the directory "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases" does *not* exist, however there is a directory "C:\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases" for some reason, although this directory is completely empty.

There are "C:\Documents and Settings\morgan\Application Data\DAZ 3D" and "C:\Documents and Settings\morgan\My Documents\DAZ 3D" directories (i.e. in my user profile), but neither contains a "Content Management Service" subdirectory.

There seems to be no "ContentDB.dat" file anywhere on my system.

I really appreciate your help man.

Morgan

edited December 1969

The way to probably fix it (most will tell you) will be to uninstall and reinstall...pretty much everything DAZ related...but, you shouldn't have to do that.

Change this line in the ini file:

“C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases”

To this:

“C:\Documents and Settings\morgan\Application Data\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases” and delete this
    “C:\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases”

Then save the altered ini and manually start the CMS...

The top-level (the one on C:) is in the wrong place and the general convention is to put it in your user profile...

edited September 2012

I did actually try uninstalling and reinstalling quite early in this saga.

I changed the line in the INI file as you suggested. I had to actually create the "Content Management Service\databases" subdirectory in my user profile, but after that I was able to start the CMS successfully. I then started DAZ and ran "Re-Import Metadata" from "Content Database Maintenance", and now I can see all the content in the "Smart Content" tab.

You are a legend.

However... when doing the Fiery Genesis tutorial it says to go to Presets and then Characters and then materials. Sadly there is no Characters in Presets. Just Cameras and Lights.

Thanks.

Morgan

Post edited by morgan-2154825 on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 is regend for me too,,

then, I think if you do not select genesis on the scene or 3d view?

you need select the genesis when show preset files (materials poses etc) for genesis.

if you do not select anything, you may not find files for genesis..

because smart content show files which have refference to the items ,when select the items.

(so we can find the destination files from many files)

when you serch preset (material etc)files for genesis , you need to select genesis.

==============================

it seems no means because now you can start cms ,
    but if you need uninstall daz studio and cms for fresh install futrure (I do not hope so)
    you may serch dzinstall.ini and may delete it.

it keeps your install location , after you uninstall it.
    it decide default location setting about cms I think.

in my pc windows 7, the dzinstall.ini path is "C:\ProgramData\DAZ 3D"
    and there is content management service > databses

it seems different about OS.

and the descirption about ContentManagementServer.ini is
    same as me.
    I have no database folda in
    the directory “C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases” does *not* exist
    (it seems not point at directory name I think, )

edited December 1969

You should be able to rebuild the database from within DS...