NOW AVAILABLE: Cthulhu Rising (Comercial)

Comments

• LuthbelLuthbel Posts: 109
    edited December 1969

Wow totally amazed you are a real Zbrush master well that's what I assume. Great modeling textures are mind blowing textures, takes some guts to take on a guy like this you've pulled it off. My hat's off to you !!!
    Midnight :)

Thanks much!
    Still fine-tunning here and there, and practicing techniques like a maniac. I must confess I failed my SAN roll working on this :D

• LuthbelLuthbel Posts: 109
    edited December 1969

I´m planning to GM "The Masques of Nyarlathotep" to my friends, hopefully, we start the campaign sometime during September of 1st week of October :D

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

If you can conjure up a Cthonian, I'm even more impressed!

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

Luthbel said:
    Wow totally amazed you are a real Zbrush master well that's what I assume. Great modeling textures are mind blowing textures, takes some guts to take on a guy like this you've pulled it off. My hat's off to you !!!
    Midnight :)

Thanks much!
    Still fine-tunning here and there, and practicing techniques like a maniac. I must confess I failed my SAN roll working on this :D

Your work on this figure is very impressive. Do you have any plans to do any of the other Cthulhu Mythos critters?

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

My first render of the bringer of insanity... ;)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/101573/

• BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited December 1969

Love this critter! Bought him as part of my birthday present.
    BTW, Luthbel, is there any chance of a new werewolf figure/genesis? Always did love the Lycanrhopos, it was a good blend of real and toon.

• CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

I'm reading Charles Stross' latest Laundry novel currently, so I'm finding this guy dreadfully (scarily? mind munchingly?) appropos :vampire:

However - has my install not worked right, or do a couple of the tentacles (front top left and tail split right I think, although I may have the names a bit wrong) have broken morphorms?

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

Luthbel said:
    I´m planning to GM "The Masques of Nyarlathotep" to my friends, hopefully, we start the campaign sometime during September of 1st week of October :D

You're a gamer Luthbel? I'll be GMing Warhammer 40k RPG which I told my players has some thematic similarities to Call of Cthulhu. Hmmmm....

• MJ007MJ007 Posts: 1,679
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    In case you want some spawn of Cthulhu to go along with it...

Mind Flayer

Oh Wow! Sixus1 released this as a freebie?!?!?!?!?
    I tried to purchase this right after their site went down! Awesome!!!

-MJ

edited December 1969

I just had a few minutes to play with this, and rendered textures are stunning. I could have sworn I was looking at a photo of a real statue.

edited December 1969

Although I have heard of this Cthulu character in numerous D&D settings, whats the big deal with this guy? Does he have special powers or something? Can someone please explain to me what was scary about this guy? Other than the fact he's ugly as hell?

-MJ

edited December 1969

And does he have eyes???

-MJ

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140
    edited December 1969

MJ007 said:
    Although I have heard of this Cthulu character in numerous D&D settings, whats the big deal with this guy? Does he have special powers or something? Can someone please explain to me what was scary about this guy? Other than the fact he's ugly as hell?

-MJ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

The first one to post a render of Cthulhu as US president in the White house... ("Why vote for the lesser evil?")

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
    edited September 2012

RAMWolff said:

I actually saw that prior to my post and it didnt list anything particularly special about it... so i figured there was something i was missing.

-MJ

Post edited by MJ007 on
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

MJ007 said:

I actually saw that prior to my post and it didnt list anything particularly special about it... so i figured there was something i was missing.

-MJ

I'm sure you know by now that H.P. Lovecraft wrote a string of horror novels based loosely on Babylonian mythos wherein poor average humans had to face the monstrosities summoned from another plane by cult followers of the ancient slumbering god, Cthulhu.

In the American Sci-Fi Con scene and role-playing game community, Cthulhu has a sort of kitsch popularity.

One popular role-playing game was "Call of Cthulhu" which pit normal humans up against the cultists trying to bring Cthulhu to this plane and when the players ran into one of these summoned creatures, a SAN or Sanity check was called for. Losing a SAN check could cause you to lose your Sanity score or result in a psychological disorder.

Because of this game, however people in the sci-fi community started having an in joke at cons about making "Sanity checks" and others at cons who enjoyed the literature began enjoying talking to people who also enjoyed and understood the literature (unlike the general populace who will look at ya funny if you mention it.)

Images of Cthulhu started popping up at cons and people, liking to make fun of things that are supposed to be scary or deadly or horrifying, started making light of Cthulhu in new and interesting ways.

"Vote for Cthulhu! Cthulhu for President! ... why pick the LESSER of two evils."

Instead of Hello Kitty, Hello, Cthulhu with an adorable plush multi-tentacled elder-god complete with pink bow.

Or Pokethulhu, riffing off of Pokemon and Cthulhu combined.

In any event, Cthulhu has a huge cult following.... I mean.... of people who enjoy the "fictional" god..... right people? "fictional"

*looks nervous as his eyes dart around nervously clutching a stick of dynamite and lighter so tightly his knuckles are white*

and now, finally because I know this was a dry read, for those Cthulhu fans, a little Cthulhu joke:

After long deliberation, and consultation with dried goat entrails, a winner has been decided on...Paul Robinson, come on down! For his winning joke, Paul gets a kick in the neck, a face full of mud, and a copy of H.P. Lovecraft's Kingsport! In case you're curious, here's the entry that topped all others...

A Servitor of the Outer Gods slithers into a pub. Its a friendly place, so the locals strike up a conversation. Eventually one of the locals asks the Servitor what it does for a living.

"I'm a musician" relies the Servitor. "I can play any instrument known to man, and any other race come to think of it. I've done gigs for Azathoth at the centre of the Universe!"

The locals take this as a challenge. "Prove it! Drinks all night if you can play any three instruments we give you to play. Otherwise you'll but a round for the whole bar!"

Relishing the challenge the Servitor says "You're on."

The first instrument the locals produce is a flute. "Too easy!" says the Servitor. Its tentacles wrap around the instrument, and it pipes away. Discordant sounds and outré rhythms issue forth. As a result a couple of the locals curl up into the foetal position, and one or two gibber in the corner. But in the end those that remain standing are suitably impressed.

The next instrument is a guitar. The Servitor looks at it carefully, picked it up and turns it over once or twice. But really, it is no challenge. Plucking sounds that a human with a mere ten fingers could never hope to do, sounds issue forth that challenged the very sanity of the drunkest bar patron. Again however, the locals have to admit the Servitor was damn good.

The last instrument is a set of bagpipes. For moment the Servitor contemplates it. It picks it up, and its tentacles and pseudopods ooze over the intrument. It turns it around and goes through the same process.

This carries on for a few minutes, the Servitor becoming more and mystified. Eventually the locals start getting a bit restless, "Come on" one wag calls out. "You said you can play anything! Give us our beer if you can't. Can you play it or not?"

"Play it" replies the Servitor. "What do you mean play it? I'm too busy trying to work out how to have sex with it."

edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    One popular role-playing game was "Call of Cthulhu" which pit normal humans up against the cultists trying to bring Cthulhu to this plane and when the players ran into one of these summoned creatures, a SAN or Sanity check was called for. Losing a SAN check could cause you to lose your Sanity score or result in a psychological disorder.

Oh ok. Now i know what people were referring to when they were using the term "SAN". Gotcha. Thanx!

-MJ

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited September 2012

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • PVGamesPVGames Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

When I saw this, really, I knew it was a must have. This is a really, really great model! :)

I hope you continue and bring forth more Elder Gods and ancient horrors from beyond into our 3D dimension :) It'd be great to have a whole line of these bad boys!

edited December 1969

MJ007 said:

-MJ

The only thing I can suggest is to read the stories; http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/ . There are elements in some stories that may offend modern readers, but there's still a lot worth reading if you like old school horror.

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

I bought this the very moment I saw it.

An outstanding model..Please, PLEASE, PLEASE, give us some more monsters from the Mythos...

S.K.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

He's back!

daily_express_blood.jpg
    1106 x 1526 - 380K
  • flashbackflashback Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The only reason I haven't bought this is I just ordered a new hard-drive for my pc!
    I could have waited, but I wouldn't have been able to use it because I've run out of room on my current drive. :red:

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

In Bryce 7.1 Pro - just for fun. I do like this model.

Bronze_TA_test3.jpg
    615 x 800 - 190K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Cthulhu in R'lyeh

Rlyeh.jpg
    1600 x 680 - 227K
    edited September 2012

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

There's the catch-up sale coming up, and that's where I hope to snag 'im.

edited September 2012

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909
    edited December 1969

I think I'm going to need a bigger weapon.

Need_a_bigger_weapon.jpg
    489 x 366 - 157K
  • RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,731
    edited September 2012

My turn to play

(I should add that I edited the textures a bit to add my own look to it)

Rawn

Cthl-1.jpg
    2000 x 1653 - 689K
    Post edited by RawArt on