Carrara 8.5.0.172 Beta Now Available for Download

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited December 1969

I had to re-enter the serial number also. The one that is supposed to work until September 15th still worked, but I had to re-enter it once.

• shadow9600shadow9600 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

The mac download should be fine : it was a zip which decompacted OK. The size of zip was 91,1mb. It makes and installer app which is 94,8mb
    I have also tried installing the "rendernode" : the installer will not launch either. Has ANYONE tried installing the MAC version or program or render node?
    Andy

I installed the Mac version of the beta program just fine, have not tried to install a rendernode though.

27" iMac
    CPU: 2.8GHz i7
    RAM: 16GB

• judee3djudee3d Posts: 171
    edited December 1969

Okay... I just installed the last version of Carrara 8 Pro - for which I have a license and a serial number in my Daz Account.

Version 8.5.0.132 Win 64

My serial number is not working, it says it is an invalid number.

Do I need to go back and install Carrara 7 Pro first since this is an upgrade version?

When I reset my download for C8Pro, it gave me this version and also 8.1.1.12

Do I need to install that one? Or do I need to install both 32 bit and 64 bit for the serial to be valid?

Kinda frustrated here... (new install new PC)

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

judee3d said:
    Okay... I just installed the last version of Carrara 8 Pro - for which I have a license and a serial number in my Daz Account.
    Version 8.5.0.132 Win 64
    My serial number is not working, it says it is an invalid number.
    Do I need to go back and install Carrara 7 Pro first since this is an upgrade version?
    When I reset my download for C8Pro, it gave me this version and also 8.1.1.12
    Do I need to install that one? Or do I need to install both 32 bit and 64 bit for the serial to be valid?
    Kinda frustrated here... (new install new PC)

If you go to the first post in this thread, you will find a download link for the latest beta 8.5.0.172 and the actual serial number you should use.

• KnightStalker000KnightStalker000 Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

I just downloaded and installed this new build. I suppose this means that on Sep. 16th, when this current one expires, that we'll have to enter yet another serial number? Why not just leave it open-ended without any expiration date, for those of us who don't have the money to buy the full, final version when it becomes available.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited December 1969

doh, because then no-one would buy it ;-P

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Knightstalker000 :)

The only reason that the Beta serial number expires is because it's a "Beta" (development version) of the program, it's Not an update, or a New version of Carrara.

Different builds of the program will be released for you to test, and these will have different serial numbers, which will all expire in time for the Next beta release, and serial number.

Sometimes the Build version will be released with a serial number, and sometimes a new serial number will be released to extend the testing of the current beta version you have.

Why not just leave it open-ended without any expiration date,

Because it's not yet a "Stable" releasable version.
    It's being made available to Carrara owners for "testing" and to allow those user to provide feedback on the program.

It's not for people to use freely without paying for the full program, and it's not a Final version.

for those of us who don’t have the money to buy the full, final version when it becomes available.

Since we don't know how much, or how little Daz3D will charge for the 8.5 update, (because it's still being developed), it's a little bit early to speculate that it will be unaffordable to you.

Hope it helps ;)
    edited December 1969

Hi Judee3D :)

Okay… I just installed the last version of Carrara 8 Pro - for which I have a license and a serial number in my Daz Account.

Version 8.5.0.132 Win 64

The version you mention here is the "Beta version". not the production version, which is 8.1.1.12

The beta will not accept a serial number for the production version.

Hope it helps :)

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Will this build work with dsf files that are not genocide?

I just stupidly grabbed 3DUniverse's Toon Cow on sale and was HORRIFIED that it's all dsf files!!

MOOOOO!!

No Fair!

I can't even install DS|4 due to hardware limitations, so if it needs that, The Cows will finally go home.

I could read the thread, or just download and try, but I'm at work and therefore in a lazy mood :gulp:

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited December 1969

seriously, no Poser files?
    surprised 3DU got away with THAT without some major complaint?

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited September 2012

Yep - Carrara 8.5 whatever does load .dsf - at least it loads the creature I made in a previous version of DS.

Off to go look for this elusive 3DU cow - I just love 3DU stuff

Edit: Found her - that is some seriously cool bovine!

Post edited by Roygee on
    edited September 2012

Who sez there wasn't some major complaint? There must have been!

Yep - Carrara 8.5 whatever does load .dsf - at least it loads the creature I made in a previous version of DS.

Yes, but can it load a dsf without D|S installed?

Guess I'll find out "soon" - heading home from employment shortly ...

Post edited by Sockratease on
  • stitlownstitlown Posts: 276
    edited December 1969

Hi all,

My last outing with the Beta was #132 in April. The road block then was that visemes and other morphs in an aniblock from DS4 would not import into C8 Genesis. Only the bone movements came across. I tic-taced with the GoFigure people and they thought the aniblock was OK and the problem was some change in C8. They said they were going to work with Daz.

Tonight I noticed we're up to build #172 so I loaded it up and tried it all again. I've deleted, re-downloaded and re-installed the Carrara aniblock importer and I've even gone a built a new aniblock in DS4 ... just in case.

But the same outcome. :sick: A speech and expression aniblock that works fine in DS4 has only bone movements in C8#172. I thought back in April M4 worked fine in C8 (different aniblock of course) but tonight both M4 and Genesis are mute. The viseme parameter sliders are present for both and work manually for both.

Has anyone else had this problem? Surely I'm not the only one if it is indeed some problem in the importer or C8#172.

Cheers, Lx

edited December 1969

Who sez there wasn't some major complaint? There must have been!

Yes, but can it load a dsf without D|S installed?

Guess I'll find out "soon" - heading home from employment shortly ...

YAY!

MOO!!

Sort of...

The Beta of 8.5 WILL open The Cow!

With NO D|S4 installed!!

BUT... the saved .car file will NOT open in my regular 8.1x!

Because I installed to a non standard location, I had to try to import the Udders and Cowbell manually - they would not import from the added folder in the browser!!! I may have to mock up a fake DS4 folder structure because it's looking for the Cowbell in the data folder, which does not exist on my system!!

So I'm not sure if I Get to keep The Cow!!!

It would mean committing to buying 8.5 if and when it ever comes out!! And even then, I'm not sure if I'll be able to use it's Udders or Cowbell!

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!

I Like Exclamation Points!!!!

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Are there any guidelines on using Genesis in the current beta of Carrara?

I've been playing around a little, and it seems that I can create a Genesis figure, or import simple .duf scenes (very simple .duf scenes; add a few more pieces of clothing and Carrara crashes or hangs). I can also shape the figure and apply hair and clothing.

However, it doesn't seem to be possible to apply materials or character poses: they don't show up in the content browser.

Is this an expected limitation, or am I missing something? And is there a workaround?

edited December 1969

HI angusm :)

Can you report any crashing, with as much detail as possible, through the Bug tracker please. :)

Many of the material presets in DS (Smart content) are still in DSF format, so they don't show up in the beta.
    In DS4.5 you can save as material preset in DUF format,. which can then be loaded onto a figure, clothing, hair, or prop.

• DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

Updated SN,

We are updating the SN till we have another build ready.

Here you go.

CDZCPRO-085-0000032-TVE-001-EBTOMAG (Expires 01-NOV-2012)

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Thank you - now that's service!

• wsxcwsxc Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

I like all the new features. But this new version makes a lot of errors during the rendering process. I can't do any rendeк except simplest one. Even switching the menu option causes program crash!

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

wsxc said:
    I like all the new features. But this new version makes a lot of errors during the rendering process. I can't do any rendeк except simplest one. Even switching the menu option causes program crash!

If you have a reproducible crash please submit a bug report. Thankfully build 172 is rendering just fine for me, my problems with complex renders is my old system :(

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Updated SN,

Wow. When I said that it would be next year before C8.5 would be ready, I was kinda joking. But it's starting to look like that might come true.

This is really bad.

• MoviehawkMoviehawk Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

Updated SN,

Here you go.

CDZCPRO-085-0000032-TVE-001-EBTOMAG (Expires 01-NOV-2012)

Well .. that is rather depressing .. I was at least hoping they would fix what got broke in the last update - (some genesis morphs do not function properly).

Some explanation might be appropriate as part of a good PR move.

• Akulla3DAkulla3D Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Apparently silence is golden. Would be nice to know what is going on, as summer is now over so everyone should be back from Vacation at this point.

• DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

akulla3D said:
    Apparently silence is golden. Would be nice to know what is going on, as summer is now over so everyone should be back from Vacation at this point.

We are working on the final bugs to have the 8.5 build ready to release. We have one major bug that needs to be fixed, tested then we should be ready to roll out. Not sure the time frame, but it is looking good.

• Akulla3DAkulla3D Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

akulla3D said:

We are working on the final bugs to have the 8.5 build ready to release. We have one major bug that needs to be fixed, tested then we should be ready to roll out. Not sure the time frame, but it is looking good.

:wow:

banana.gif
    33 x 35 - 2K
  • DabblingDanDabblingDan Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

DAZ,

Thank you for updating the expiration date before the previous one expires!

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

akulla3D said:

And will this include a FULLY UPDATED MANUAL ???

I'm really desperate to print out a new one with all the changes/additions since 2008

• revenger681revenger681 Posts: 156
    edited December 1969

0oseven said:
    akulla3D said:

And will this include a FULLY UPDATED MANUAL ???

I'm really desperate to print out a new one with all the changes/additions since 2008
    OMG.... I sure hope it does. At this point it seems DAZ has no interest in manuals for the new releases, 8.5 has a LOT of features that should be covered in a new manual. I'd also like to see a "pro" and "standard" list of features. To me that's the breaking point of whether or not I'll consider buying. How stripped down the standard edition will be, or if it'll have genesis and DUF importing for one, or if that'll be excluded for some reason and only for the pro buyers.

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited September 2012

You can see a comparison between standard and pro here

http://www.daz3d.com/products/carrara/carrara-tech-specs/

items on this page with a small blue pointer link to videos ( an easily missed feature)

The manual itself normally tags items if they are pro only.

If you haveny bought Carrara yet you can take a look at the manual for C7

available here http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/artzone/pub/software/carrara/carrara7_user_guide.pdf

Post edited by 0oseven on
  • edited December 1969

What happens if you do accidentally uninstall version 8.1 when you install the Beta? Actually I know and now I can get either to work on my machine :( Is there a way to get 8.1 to work again or do i need to re-install 6.5 and find all my upgrades?

This discussion has been closed.