Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:
    My first render. MilCat with hair. Still needs some adjustments and some lights that won't crash my poor old PC.
    So good! I haven't got past playing with the presets yet!
  • shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

thanks :-) not quite how I wanted it to look, but I thought the ol' 32bit Vista PC would be a good testing ground for the Beta. Going to give it a go on the 64bit laptop and see the difference.

edited December 1969

Looks pretty good to me :-)

• GoneGone Posts: 832
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    Gone said:
    Is it still possible to sign up for the beta?

I've tried signing up 3 times in the past couple of weeks - waiting for the windows version - but I never get the email that says is being sent.

I would really love to try this out now that the windows version is available.

See your spam folder. I obtain beta 2 and 3, but 4 nothing. This was in spam.

I always check all my folders - too many things have a habit of showing up as junk when it isn't.

All I've gotten is echoing silence.

• edited December 1969

Had my first try with the windows 64-bit plug-in. So far it seems easy to get the basics down, but all the options may take a while to figure out. It will take me some time to learn how to style it -- poor hiro isn't happy with his new haircut. :lol:

hiro_hair.jpg
    800 x 800 - 220K
  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the Windows beta.

Gave it a quick go following along with the video intro tutorial in DSPro 4.5.0.114 on Win7 64 (bottom of barrel AMD quad core/6 G RAM).

I only tested on a default sphere (1 meter), and only encountered one issue. Not sure if it is a Windows version bug, or not.

When I got to the CLUMP tab, and tried experimenting there, nothing happened. I tried all the sliders (following along with tut), and my hair model exhibited no changes at all.

Then I wanted to put all the sliders back to their default, so instead of using the sliders I typed in the numbers in the selection boxes. Once I had them set back to default (or how I saw them in the tut), I decided to try the first slider again just for the hell of it.

Low and behold, the clumping system started working. Although, I was not getting the fantastic instant update seen in the video (probably do to low end PC, and/or because I was using a 1 meter sphere) the lag wasn't that bad, and the clumping tools all seemed to work correctly.

I'll test again to see if it was a slider issue that needed to be coaxed by the selection boxes, or if I was using way to big of a mesh to begin with.

I did find one thing interesting though. I scaled down the sphere, and hid it to use the hair on Genesis. When I scaled down the sphere to about the size of Genesis' head the more I scaled it down the more the hair scaled up. This was also true for individual X/Y/Z scaling giving interesting, and wild results. I know that is not intended use, but it might come in handy some day.

edited November 2012

I've just set up two different tests, and the hair doesn't show up in the spot render or if I do a normal render. I thought I'd made a mistake on the first one, so deleted it, and tried again with the same results.

Tried re-installing the plugin, and the hair still isn't showing in either render mode. Trying to spot render causes Daz to crash, but you can still see that the hair isn't there before it crashes.

Re-opened the cat file, and I can still render that. Maybe there's something wrong with the new one. I'll try a different one and see what happens :-)

Post edited by shaaelia on
    edited December 1969

Well, I started a new scene, created a new hair and was able to render it no hassles. Went to create another new scene, created the hair again and again, it doesn't render. The blue strands show up in the normal view port, but no hair in the render.

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    Hi Guys, I am just back from 5 days of cold and darkness thanks to Hurricane Sandy , the hell is over
    I hope I never make it again ... I take break until Monday as a lot of stuff have to be done before I can run everything again .. just in case you wondered why I was quiet ...

Sending positive and healing energy and prayers from half-way around the world. I can't even begin to imagine =(( I survived Ketsana and that was just one day of cold, darkness with water entering the house :( Glad you're okay and welcome back!

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited November 2012

Windows7 64bit, DazStudio 4.5.1.6
    Intel Core i7-2700K , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448, 32 GB DDR3-1333 RAM

The tightWavesExample01.duf is looking for textures that aren't there - the Journeyer scout textures I have are without an addition _DC at the end of the name ... but the hair looks great!

OK, I had fun (I did read the readme to the last line ;) )
    When playing too long, DS crashed ...
    The first time I created a primitive sphere and played with all the tabs until I came to the Tweak tab. That was reacting very slowly, and then ... crash.
    Restarting DS and redoing that and the crashes came early, even when just painting the Density map.
    Now it crashes each time I am trying to select a second part of the hairs to style.
    Sometimes I get:
    DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0033:000000000981F786
    Sometimes the whole thing grays out and after some time

Sometimes I can't paint the density map ... closing Garibaldi and Edit / Edit Garibaldi hair again worked.

Is it possible to select all the guiding hairs?
    Like "adding to selection"?
    Answering myself: listen to the video: shift + click+ drag

Post edited by Kerya on
  • SamCSamC Posts: 40
    edited December 1969

Here is my 2nd try with the plugin. The first was more a birds nest than hair. I have been getting some crashes when trying to do long hair.

002.jpg
    417 x 410 - 137K
    001.jpg
    445 x 536 - 162K
  • greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Any chance to still get in on the beta? Windows 7 64 bit with 4.5.1.6 pro daz studio here. I used to do some beta testing for daz a few years back and I wouldn't mind the chance to give this a test run at all. Feel free to pm or email me.

edited December 1969

samc: that is a lovely girl! May I ask what morphs/textures you used?

• SamCSamC Posts: 40
    edited December 1969

She's abit of this and that. I'm just doing some work at the moment. Can I get back to you later with the settings?. I'll PM you.

edited December 1969

Thank you!

One thing I found out: the cursor for Dazstudio changes to a fist and stays a fist, even in DS ... LOL

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    Is it still possible to sign up for the beta?

The open beta will be available and free until the final product is released. Just go to the download page on the website.
    Make sure you check your spam folder of your email. Unfortunally spam filters have become very sensitive to automated emails.
    If your still having issues receiving the email then send me a email and I'll manually send you the details.
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    I noticed I can only use this on Genesis atm. Will the plugin be updated to support other figures in the future?

It should work on any daz figure, modern or legacy.
    Send me a email detailing the character you're having issues with and hopefully we will be able to resolve the issue for the next beta.
    edited December 1969

Win 64-bit is, so far, giving me no surfaces to choose from (yes, I'm using a Genesis figure....!) when I call it up.

Can you email the details of the steps you take before the trying to edit a garibaldi node. Also can you check if the example scenes are working correctly for you and email me if so. Please bare with things as the windows version is only a early test version.
    edited December 1969

...it usually seems to crash D|S before anything is accomplished.

If you can isolate the crashing you're experiencing to a certain action it would be greatly appreciated if you could email the details. Hopefully I can get these early issues fixed as soon as possible.
    edited December 1969

Playing with Genesis now - it's more stable than with the primitive sphere!

edited December 1969

foleypro said:
    Another test for my Genesis Werewolf Morph...
    Cant save the DS scene tho...

The fur looks good...
    Garibaldi does not support the legary file formats (but should not crash). If your having issues with the normal file format could you try saving a more simple scene or loading and resaving one of the examples. If you could email me how you get on with this would be great.

edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:
    My first render. MilCat with hair. Still needs some adjustments and some lights that won't crash my poor old PC.

Looks great.
    Try normal spotlights with deep shadow maps. Hopefully they should work fine for you. Can you email me details of the lighting setup your having issues with.
  • foleyprofoleypro Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

foleypro said:
    Another test for my Genesis Werewolf Morph...
    Cant save the DS scene tho...

The fur looks good...
    Garibaldi does not support the legary file formats (but should not crash). If your having issues with the normal file format could you try saving a more simple scene or loading and resaving one of the examples. If you could email me how you get on with this would be great.

This is just a Werewolf Morph of Genesis done in ZBrush4 and brought back in thru DS4.5 thru Morph Loader Pro...So I am thinking it should still work as good as Genesis because it is still genesis just Morphed...I will try with just Genesis and then once the Hair is done I will Morph Genesis (with the new hair)after wards into the Werewolf and see if that works...I am saving in .duf format...

One Observation being able to work on any file even an Object format would be awesome...Think along the lines of Grass and Tree's with Leaves and Ivy possibilities...

edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    Had my first try with the windows 64-bit plug-in. So far it seems easy to get the basics down, but all the options may take a while to figure out. It will take me some time to learn how to style it -- poor hiro isn't happy with his new haircut. :lol:

Looks great for a first try.
    Hopefully I'll get round to adding some more documentation soon about the more complex options and features.
  • foleyprofoleypro Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

Is there a way to paint with Symmetary or on both sides at once...?

Like Painting the fur on my Werewolf when I paint on one side I want the same hair Painted on the other side too...Then I can cut or style either side to make it look like I want...

Also when Painting when I change the Density of the Brush isnt that supposed to make the different shades correspond with the length of hair Generated...?Like white is longest and Dark grey shorter...?

edited November 2012

Nice - hair!!!
    (not a realistic colour, but I do like to play)

By the way: I think I cranked the distribution amount toooooo high on my sphere tests - that made it probably crash.

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited December 1969

And now my cursor changed to a cross ... LOL!
    (only in Dazstudio)

edited December 1969

It's even easy to edit the hair again ...

chablisagaing.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 137K
    edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    Gave it a quick go following along with the video intro tutorial in DSPro 4.5.0.114 on Win7 64 (bottom of barrel AMD quad core/6 G RAM).
    Sounds like a more than adequate setup.

Due to the nature that hair and fur is a complex system to replicate, having a older and slower machine will slow things down.

Garibaldi needs a graphics card that supports: hardware vertex/fragment shaders, framebuffer objects, and multisample antialiasing.
    This means things are unlikely to function well with ati/amd or nvdia cards older than 5 years old. Any pre intel 'HD' (i series cpus) integrated graphics will not function.

CPU speed can make a big difference in render performance. The interface is designed to be responsive with any reasonable cpu (turn down the preview percent/mask small test distribution textures if you have issues).
    A dual core cpu (like an intel core duo) will be fine, anything faster should be great.

RAM is currently a biggest roadblock. 4GB on a 64bit machine without many other open applications is great. Anything less will get a bit more tight when tring to handle any large complex setups.
    Realistically I can't support machines with 2GB for version 1 of garibaldi express. But basic scenes will function fine.

The target is that as the beta versions progress things will become more opitimised make better use of resources.

DaremoK3 said:

I only tested on a default sphere (1 meter), and only encountered one issue. Not sure if it is a Windows version bug, or not.
    When I got to the CLUMP tab, and tried experimenting there, nothing happened. I tried all the sliders (following along with tut), and my hair model exhibited no changes at all.

Unfortunately the sphere primitive is not really a good test object with the default settings. A 1 meter sphere has a lot of surface area. The value of the distubution settings will create aproximely the amount set per square cm. So a distribution of 10 will put 10 hairs in every square centimeter.

The clump amount needs to be less than the main hair distribution amount. The distribution of clumps on the characters surface use the same scale as the distribution of follicles. So if the clump amount is set to 1 then they will be about one clump in every square centimeter. Set fractional values for the amount will create larger clumps.
    Both the main follicle distribution amount and clump amount need to have a texture set. As default the hair density texture will be automatically selected in a new scene. Grey values can be used in these texture maps to vary the density of the distribution over the characters surface.

I did find one thing interesting though. I scaled down the sphere, and hid it to use the hair on Genesis. When I scaled down the sphere to about the size of Genesis' head the more I scaled it down the more the hair scaled up. This was also true for individual X/Y/Z scaling giving interesting, and wild results. I know that is not intended use, but it might come in handy some day.
    I guess you mean the hair stayed the same size... the garibaldi hair will try to retain its original shape while staying attached to the underlying geometry/figure. This behaviour make more scene on a figure/character i guess, but seems a bit weird when it is applied to a simple scaling sphere.

edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:
    I've just set up two different tests, and the hair doesn't show up in the spot render or if I do a normal render. I thought I'd made a mistake on the first one, so deleted it, and tried again with the same results.

Can you email the details of what character your trying to apply hair to.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.