Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

no export option.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

Beta version 3 has be released for testers. It's a recommended update for all users.
    The next beta will have windows version.

Did I just see the W word there? :drool:

Thank you!

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

Khory said:
    then garibaldi express has an automatic parting feature.

How much would I love to have one of those on my son?
    Does it do wavy hair/lose curl hair?

Wavy curls should be fine...

Had a quick play around adding wavy curls. Here is a example of adding curls to one of the examples. Loose curls fading to tight ones. Also changed the colours and shader options for a slightly different look.

Scene File:
    http://garibaldiexpress.com/randomStuff/tightWavesExample01.zip

Direct render and crop with mesh textures render:

tightWavesExample01compressed.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 147K
    blondShadeTest10largeCropA02.jpg
    700 x 586 - 107K
    Post edited by futurebiscuit on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Looks great. The loose curls on the top should be perfect for trying to recreate some pre raphaelite hair!

• HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

Oh wow, this is looking awesome, cant wait for the windows beta :)

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Signed up for the beta as well...

Waiting patiently with all the other Windows users.

Thank you for making it an open beta, and for the opportunity to experience the program well before a purchase decision needs to be made.

Like others, I am on the fence between the two, but just for the fact alone that you are allowing us to try out the software is a plus for where my money will probably go.

I get one big purchase a year, and I have already dedicated it to a hair plugin module. One way, or another, I will be getting one of the two that will be offered. I already have one toe dipping on your side of the fence.

Question regarding feedback; Can we make requests as well while pointing out bugs?

I already see a need for marquee selections alongside the painting tools.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

One question, if you're creating fur for an animal...does it take the colour from the texture map for the animal? If not is there a way to attach a texture of that sort?

thanks

Pen

edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    Question regarding feedback; Can we make requests as well while pointing out bugs?

The feature set for version 1 is basically locked down now, but minor feature requests may get in.
    I'm hoping to release a free 1.5 update later this year with a few extra features/tweaks that haven't quite got in this time. Bigger feature requests might get into that one.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    One question, if you're creating fur for an animal...does it take the colour from the texture map for the animal? If not is there a way to attach a texture of that sort?

You can import and export texture maps as png image files in Garibaldi Express. Adapting colour texture maps from existing texture maps in daz materials would be quite easy.

I plan to record some extra introductory videos that will explain all the features and there uses in more detail new week. These should coincide with the windows beta release.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

You can import and export texture maps as png image files in Garibaldi Express. Adapting colour texture maps from existing texture maps in daz materials would be quite easy.

I plan to record some extra introductory videos that will explain all the features and there uses in more detail new week. These should coincide with the windows beta release.Sounds good...thanks for the quick response.

I watched the video on your site and it looks like it will be very easy to use...: )

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

Here is my truly first test with the hair
    rendering time 5 min , around 49K hair and 790 K vertices
    it works like a charm, amazing following all shapes and animation in a smooth way
    like it was the best rigging ever , finally DAZ have the best hair system I tested so far
    and I used gorilla as my first target , rendered on max quality
    that is going to be so much fun folks !!!

Gorilla_final.jpg
    924 x 1175 - 417K
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,038
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    it works like a charm, amazing following all shapes and animation in a smooth way
    like it was the best rigging ever , finally DAZ have the best hair system I tested so far

So you're saying this hair follows shapes in daz as you dial different morphs and doesnt break like zbrush fibremesh? If that is so then I am excited:)

edited October 2012

yes exactly , you see the gorilla scream expression everything works just fine
    anime blocks and animations , and can't be compared to Zbrush fibermesh as it would not do that the same olway ..
    it is just excellent from the technical point of view Carrara and Poser can start to be jealous with own hair systems
    and I understand that is just base plugin and a lot of new features coming later but I am sold already

I just made bigger test with the gorilla and changed the expression as you see the hair follow nice
    this was take 36 min with 64 pixels sample and 0.010 filter size so pretty max, 11 min to create the shadow maps as the hair love it when u use shadow maps for the light shadow
    and added more hair with second node
    The painting of the mask is nice and sensitive to the wacom pen pressure

rendered with 1 spot light and shadow maps and double resolution
    it actually no matter the resolution the hair looks good anyway
    I love also the setting for blending the hair colors and peppering so it don;t have the one fake color

btw I had to resize the render as forum allow max only 2000 pixels and I rendered 2600 x 2000

Zev0 said:
    Mec4D said:

So you're saying this hair follows shapes in daz as you dial different morphs and doesnt break like zbrush fibremesh? If that is so then I am excited:)

Gorilla_final2.jpg
    1538 x 2000 - 491K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
    edited October 2012

Mec4D said:

Wonderful render, but I thought you are on Windows, is it out for us to test now?

Post edited by Heatherleea on
    edited December 1969

Not yet , I am testing the first build on win7 and win8
    James should announce the public win beta release soon if there are not major issues , so far so good

Mec4D said:

Wonderful render, but I thought you are on Windows, is it out for us to test now?

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Wow, Cath. That's awesome!

edited December 1969

Dang it, I got all excited thinking it was out and I had missed it lol.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

But now you know you WON'T miss it and it will have been tested by no less than the lovely and talented Mec4D! *smile* REJOICE!

edited December 1969

@Alisa thanks !!

@Heatherlee , yes I have to run all tests possible so you will have minder headaches , it is just preview bald build lol
    but I love where it is going to be, for real honest opinion ! you don't wait for nothing ..
    I used a lot of hair systems in the past but this one is the most simple and compact , I need to make test on some more complex style now
    it is all about practice

Dang it, I got all excited thinking it was out and I had missed it lol.
    edited December 1969

I did not expected the honor will hit me that fast and rather would love if we all can do it together
    but I did not saw as much input from the beta mac users as expected so I have to investigate it to the ground myself
    at last I can support you a little bit more in the future when you run in troubles as it will become my future tool for sure when everything is ready for the first official build , plus I can test it also running win7 and win8
    If you used any system with curves before you will notice that many options are familiar just more simple to use and with new Interface
    If you have any questions regarding to the functionality I would love to answer you , I need to install my new screen recorder to show you in action my moves , it seems to move faster while posing that on MAC from what I saw as the curves just stick to the figure when you pose , maybe I render some animation test over night

RKane_1 said:
    But now you know you WON'T miss it and it will have been tested by no less than the lovely and talented Mec4D! *smile* REJOICE!
    edited December 1969

I know if Cath is putting it through its paces, all will be good, just we are snowed in today and thought we were going to have something new to play with lol. This product is going straight into my shopping cart as soon as it hits the store, its gonna be so much fun!

edited October 2012

Mec4D said:
    I should have indicated this sort of thing on my previous renders.
    So the last wavy hair render I posted was 150k hairs with 5093k verts (so about the same as a real head of hair).
    Renders in about 4+1/2mins including 5 shadow maps (quad core i5).
    Daz doesn't go over 1.5GB of memory usage while rendering it.
    They're some additional optimizations I've been thinking about, but they probably won't make it into version 1.

like it was the best rigging ever...

I rewrote the hair transformation to be extra smooth and stable for beta3.
    Long hair will need adjusting on dramatic morphs and animation as the hair strands are not deformed themselves but just moved.
    Post edited by futurebiscuit on
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:

Assuming the hair is not really long and the morph is not too extreme, if it is then it's easy to do quick adjustments in garibaldi.
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:

I have to admitt this is the first thing I've ever coded for windows (linux is the standard [mostly] in vfx). I thought it would be wise to be tested by someone other than me before the first open beta.

Don't worry, windows version for everyone will come sometime this week...

edited December 1969

Mec4D said:

Really like the lighting/highlights on the fur in that composition. Looks great.
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited October 2012

RKane_1 said:

I have to admitt this is the first thing I've ever coded for windows (linux is the standard [mostly] in vfx). I thought it would be wise to be tested by someone other than me before the first open beta.

Dang...you're not going to do a native Linux build, are you?

I know the scripting to get it in and out of DS may be a bit trickier...but it seems just a waste to have it run through WINE, too.

Cath...that's the Genesis gorilla, right?

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

Yes I noticed that when I used the last sample you provided with the lose curls
    it is not bad and just little edit can do the work, when the hair are as short as on my last Gorilla it follow pretty well any shape without any issues, still long hair will need a little adjustment as I figured out after I posted my reply

I see also that the specular level in the Subsurface tab should be a little bit down and not plain white especially for more realistic look
    as real hair will do according to the mirror and references

for my next little step I used the texture as reference to get the beard closer to the photo
    it worked not bad in a short time of work and the major impact on that was the both specular that was adjusted to match the real mustache
    I think rendering the hair in Uber Environment make them looks even more cooler , and surprising render fast!! as you don't waste time for shadow map

I used 7K of hair 43K for vert.
    changing the thickness of the strand
    nothing spectacular but doing my tests and learning the possibilities

P.S I tested the lose curls , they was pretty nice
    however what I would do is reducing the hair strands and use higher thickness values if rendered from far
    to speed up everything, also I see myself better to work on low hair count and after I am happy with the style I am adding more hairs
    editing 150 hair strand don't get that easy , the response get slowed down to much while styling , however using the parameters don't

and I think you first WIN coding is excellent
    the other issue people may have are the machines they use and the v ram
    but there are a pretty ways to get everything done no matter what

Zev0 said:

Assuming the hair is not really long and the morph is not too extreme, if it is then it's easy to do quick adjustments in garibaldi.
    G-3D-Beard_genesis.jpg
    1600 x 759 - 706K
    edited December 1969

yes why?

mjc1016 said:

Cath...that's the Genesis gorilla, right?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,402
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    yes exactly , you see the gorilla scream expression everything works just fine
    anime blocks and animations , and can't be compared to Zbrush fibermesh as it would not do that the same olway ..
    it is just excellent from the technical point of view Carrara and Poser can start to be jealous with own hair systems
    and I understand that is just base plugin and a lot of new features coming later but I am sold already

I just made bigger test with the gorilla and changed the expression as you see the hair follow nice
    this was take 36 min with 64 pixels sample and 0.010 filter size so pretty max, 11 min to create the shadow maps as the hair love it when u use shadow maps for the light shadow
    and added more hair with second node
    The painting of the mask is nice and sensitive to the wacom pen pressure

rendered with 1 spot light and shadow maps and double resolution
    it actually no matter the resolution the hair looks good anyway
    I love also the setting for blending the hair colors and peppering so it don;t have the one fake color

btw I had to resize the render as forum allow max only 2000 pixels and I rendered 2600 x 2000

Zev0 said:
    Mec4D said:

This is unbelievable. Wonderful work!

This discussion has been closed.