Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

She looks as though she has just seen a spider, or maybe a mouse. Great expression.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Finally got around to doing that render I was hinting at last week.

Still working on it, but here is the WIP

I'd buy it ........if it included the box. :)

edited December 1969

Well it's taken a few hours just to get the eye lashes right.

I tried opening the document up in the slightly older version of Bryce 7 but it just told me that none of the 100 or so objects were there and I had to sit clicking the OK button for about 5 minutes... as it listed them one at a time.

... Plan B: I mapped the lash pic onto a primitive cube in Poser and exported the cube as an .obj.
    Then I imported the cube along with it's mapped texture and of course it's then available in the picture library to apply to the lashes.

I don't know if I dare add the trans map to the hair next... I hear it makes Bryce grind to a halt processing all the transparency.
    From a distance it doesn't look too bad as it is.

Seems an odd problem you're having with the lashes. I say that because in the past, when I've brought a figure into Bryce and needed to fix the trans, I just did it in the material editor. Of course I had to know in advance what texture folder in Poser to load it from but I never had to import it thru other means. Also and I'm a little foggy on this as I've not done any figure importing in quite a while but I'm like 99% sure when I send a figure thru the bridge the lashes and hair trans maps come in the way they're supposed to.

edited December 1969

Dave uses a Mac, and there is a problem with importing jpg images into Bryce on macs, so it needs a work round.

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 458
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Dave uses a Mac, and there is a problem with importing jpg images into Bryce on macs, so it needs a work round.

Try using .png instead of jpeg...Then go into Picture editor and re apply or copy ping image to alpha channel,,,,

edited December 1969

Hmm, now that is something I didn't know, thanks. I always use PNG myself on PC, because of the automatic alpha channel, but didn't realise it would make a difference on a mac.

Does that stop the images coming into the materials lab with the blue tinge?

edited December 1969

Dan W. was the main Bryce beta tester for Bryce MAC dev many moons...I seem to recall that in beta 6.3 this was a bug introduced and was a work around...

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Hmm, now that is something I didn't know, thanks. I always use PNG myself on PC, because of the automatic alpha channel, but didn't realise it would make a difference on a mac.

Does that stop the images coming into the materials lab with the blue tinge?

Depends on the alpha channel bits...
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Ah okay, I was unaware of that Mac issue being a PC user.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited November 2012

Seems an odd problem you're having with the lashes. I say that because in the past, when I've brought a figure into Bryce and needed to fix the trans, I just did it in the material editor. Of course I had to know in advance what texture folder in Poser to load it from but I never had to import it thru other means. Also and I'm a little foggy on this as I've not done any figure importing in quite a while but I'm like 99% sure when I send a figure thru the bridge the lashes and hair trans maps come in the way they're supposed to.

As Chohole rightly says, it's not so much a problem with eye lashes or even figure imports, but in the newest version of Bryce on the Mac, importing a picture results in it coming in blue and neither generating a correct diffuse channel or a correct alpha channel.

I also don't use the Daz Bridge because I don't use Daz Studio. My people are modeled in Poser and saved as .obj files.
    Sometimes, because Bryce doesn't read the .mtl file, you have to then point Bryce towards the textures used in the file.
    Sometimes it misses some, when it does that, it's a bit of a workaround to get them to import.

@ Foleypro: Thanks, I'll maybe try that, but as far as I remember from past experience (when this bug first appeared on the Mac version), all picture formats manually imported come in blue and therefore don't have the right contrast to generate solid black for the transparency channel... maybe I missed it last tome though so I'll revist it. My workaround works well though, any picture already mapped on to an .obj file and imported into the document puts the right picture texture in the library (and it's not blue), it can then be chosen in the normal way to map on to what ever it was needed for. :)

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Another work around is bringing into your fav Paint program and setting the same background as the same color blue and then resaving....

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Nope - every image file type ( I tried them all, with and without alpha) which was loaded directly into the Mac Pict Editor is corrupted and usually crashes when leaving the editor. As I remember it, this bug was introduced with B7.1 (but don't quote me LOL).

But what I do is to create a cube) in D|S, add the texture and bridge that over to B7.1. Then I copy (or Merge) the cube to my scene. Reassigning textures works just fine.

Hi Brian! Good to see you around again...

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,120
    edited November 2012

I hope I got the page numbers right:

@David - Simplon HDRI was a good choice for the lighting test renders (p 36).

Nice scene with the dinghy, good pose. Skin colour looks good to me but a bit matt (p 37).

Skin colour looks amazingly good, she has just oiled herself by the look of specularity. The one lower down is improved (p 39).

@electro-elvis - box render looks nice. The horizon gives the impression as if it were curved and the moody sky looks nice, the light on the mountains is excellent; small birds, great impact. (p 36).

@Roland4 - I like the Eiland im Glas (p 37).

A bit noisy but David gave you some advice, the one lower down looks better (p 39).

The glass - have you set the Refraction to glass? The indication in Bryce is 100 times the real value (p 40).

@TheSavage64 - great render of spheres, I like the second one most. Beetle scene looks good (p 37).

Godzilla - size matters. Cool render (p 39).

The Bryce goodies are really great. Very well done, a pleasure to look at. The lady lower down the page is very fittingly lit. I like the almost monochrome look. I'm not convinced by the face, though the expression is great (p 40).

@mermaid010 - those cubes turned out nice (p 37).

@Jamahoney - Midnight Rendezvous is very well done, great lighting (p 37).

@Rareth - quite good looking clouds in the first image. The cloud in the second doesn't convince me but the breaking waves look really nice in the small size (p 37).

Nice sunset scene, I'm not too fond of the colours but since it looked different on the laptop ... (p 39)

@chohole - a character head but - as you say - it looks a bit plastic, or like a wax figure (p 39).

@bigh - nice scene. The grass patches at right are at the leg position, which I find a bit unfortunate (p 40).

@foleypro - always a pleasure to be reminded to this render (p 40).

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Nope - every image file type ( I tried them all, with and without alpha) which was loaded directly into the Mac Pict Editor is corrupted and usually crashes when leaving the editor. As I remember it, this bug was introduced with B7.1 (but don't quote me LOL).

But what I do is to create a cube) in D|S, add the texture and bridge that over to B7.1. Then I copy (or Merge) the cube to my scene. Reassigning textures works just fine.

Ahh the master has come out of the wood works...Yeah baby...

edited December 1969

Can you do a small precise tutorial on this...?
    Quick and easy baby...!!!!

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Horo

The picture at p39 have no shadow (it was disabled in this sky). For the glass material i used the standard glass from bryce 152 (it´s a ready material).
    I try to render with soft shadow 10% but the render time is over 5 hour´s and in this simple (more demo scene) out of the question.

edited December 1969

Soft shadows is always a renderer killer...

edited December 1969

Yes but i hope i can find a way to render the shadow in a separately pass.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Foley: That's a nice image. I'm a sucker for those with dragons.

@Dave: The full image of the woman is very nice, especially the monotone. She does look like something is about to crawl up her leg in the full image, but looks more horrified in the closeup. Nice job.

@Roland: Glass in Blender I can do, and have done. And if I get the lighting and color right, they turn out well in Blender. It's getting glass to look worth beans in Bryce that I'd like to accomplish.

edited December 1969

Upcoming Christmas.

BevorstgehendeWeihnacht.jpg
    500 x 750 - 50K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Well - for a change I DID try to follow a video tutorial ... somehow.
    (I am blonde - and slow - and not a native English speaker ...)
    My first try at rendering something realistic in Bryce. LOL
    Usually I am going to Bryce for abstracts or fantasy/scifi renders.

Credits:
    CWRW Pro Textures for the Mil Horse Bundle - cwrw
    Songbird ReMix Seabirds - Ken Gilliland

shoreline.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 334K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,120
    edited November 2012

@Roland4 - Upcoming Christmas looks quite nice. The object appears to be floating but that may be intentional.

@Kerya - the scene is very nice and a good start into the world of the realistic. Keep it up,

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Roland4 - Upcoming Christmas looks quite nice. The object appears to be floating but that may be intentional.

It looks just like this, because there is no shadow.

edited December 1969

Hey good news Brycers, you can eat as much turkey as you want without worrying about the L-tryptophan in turkey causing you to sleep thru the Black Friday sales because for god only knows what reason none of the Bryce products or Bryce Vendors were included in Daz's Black Friday/November sale. So dig into that turkey. Okay so it's not really good news....in fact it's kind of lousey news...but hey what can you do but try to look on the bright side?

Turkey.png
    800 x 446 - 447K
    edited December 1969

@LordHardDriven

mmm..... very nice, I am hungry.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Roland: Nice looking image.

@Kerya: I like what you've done in that image. Especially the dirt being kicked up by the horses hooves. That's a nice touch

@Mark: Oy, more turkey? That's a very good job. The DOF looks good, with the exception of the tiles on the wall. They're a bit, off. What, no knife or fork?

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Mark: Oy, more turkey? That's a very good job. The DOF looks good, with the exception of the tiles on the wall. They're a bit, off. What, no knife or fork?

Actually that's not DOF. What that is, is an HDRI used as a backdrop and unfortunately that one was the highest resolution of that particular HDRI. So there wasn't much I could do about how the background looks, at least not that I'm aware of since I had the HDRI quality at 256 and the RPP at 256. As for a knife and fork, bah, birds are finger food. :)

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

Actually that's not DOF. What that is, is an HDRI used as a backdrop and unfortunately that one was the highest resolution of that particular HDRI. So there wasn't much I could do about how the background looks, at least not that I'm aware of since I had the HDRI quality at 256 and the RPP at 256. As for a knife and fork, bah, birds are finger food. :)

But be aware, neither the quality setting of the HDRI or the RPP will have any impact on the resolution of the HDRI.

Quality determines the number of simulated light sources generated by the HDRI and is used to overcome shadow banding issues. I recommend quality 16 for a starting point. Then increase incrementally.

Using RPP of 256 is only really required for TA rendering or in extreme cases where blurred reflection and blurred transmission effects are joined with high luminance value for Specular Halo (this value being responsible for the level of blurring). Lots of blur lots of noise. TA = lots of noise.

If TA rendering is used, HDRI quality should be set to 16. TA combined with HDRI direct light (as opposed to TA optimised light) = massive render times.

Which if that sounds complicated, then at least that justifies all the tutorials on this topic.

A few days of work and I see I'm behind on events. Well, here's where I am with my skin project. Here I've combined my SSS method with the skin so far to see if that adds anything. I've patched the hair in with an object mask, since the focus is skin at the moment. I've also not had chance to contemplate Rashad's importing instructions. So I am aware of the mesh resolution issues. Focus on the skin. How does this skin look?

Fake_sssvc3_layers.jpg
    600 x 600 - 269K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

But be aware, neither the quality setting of the HDRI or the RPP will have any impact on the resolution of the HDRI.

Quality determines the number of simulated light sources generated by the HDRI and is used to overcome shadow banding issues. I recommend quality 16 for a starting point. Then increase incrementally.

Using RPP of 256 is only really required for TA rendering or in extreme cases where blurred reflection and blurred transmission effects are joined with high luminance value for Specular Halo (this value being responsible for the level of blurring). Lots of blur lots of noise. TA = lots of noise.

If TA rendering is used, HDRI quality should be set to 16. TA combined with HDRI direct light (as opposed to TA optimised light) = massive render times.

Which if that sounds complicated, then at least that justifies all the tutorials on this topic.

A few days of work and I see I'm behind on events. Well, here's where I am with my skin project. Here I've combined my SSS method with the skin so far to see if that adds anything. I've patched the hair in with an object mask, since the focus is skin at the moment. I've also not had chance to contemplate Rashad's importing instructions. So I am aware of the mesh resolution issues. Focus on the skin. How does this skin look?

pretty good - maybe a little shine is needed

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

OK, now with 5% shine off of a tonemapped HDRI background (Treppenhalle2 - by Horo)

Better?

Fake_sssvc3_with_5_percent_shine.jpg
    600 x 600 - 349K
This discussion has been closed.