ACKKKKK!! My Catagory dissappeared!! Help.... please .....

carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

Here I am finally getting a chance to play with Genesis,I am useing DS4.5 pro ,on Windows ,and up until an hour ago I had my content in a catagory set up showing in DS and then blink blink a window pops ups stateing CMS has stopped working ,and the catagories had all dissappeared ........What do I do to fix this?? I re started DS and the same warning popped up .I can still find my stuff going through the other folders, but I really want my catagories back ........

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

If you reboot, does the CMS still keep stopping? What security software do you use?

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited December 1969

Reboot =restart the computer?? I'll restart and let ya know.
    I have AVG ......

edited December 1969

Okay so I restarted the computer ,(How come it's called reboot anyway??) and wonder of wonders my catagories have for the most part reappeared ,but now when I try to open a saved scene it tells me it's finding duplicate IDs .......

edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    Okay so I restarted the computer ,(How come it's called reboot anyway??) and wonder of wonders my catagories have for the most part reappeared ,but now when I try to open a saved scene it tells me it's finding duplicate IDs .......

The duplicate IDs issue is from some older Genesis products (before about March), in which two properties are given the same name. In most cases it doesn't actually cause the item to work incorrectly, but it could cause problems. You can fix it by either resetting the item to get the corrected version, or using Richard Haseltine's script as a stopgap.

Reboot comes from the phrase "pulling up by one's bootstraps", which in a sense is what computers do when they boot up.

edited December 1969

So how do I figure out which items are throwing the duplicate ID's to replace them ?? I thought I had already but looks like something got missed ....
    Hmmmm boots straps huh ,that's silly computers don't wear boots or even shoes.........heeehehhehehe. sorry couldn't help myself .

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    So how do I figure out which items are throwing the duplicate ID's to replace them ?? I thought I had already but looks like something got missed ....
    Hmmmm boots straps huh ,that's silly computers don't wear boots or even shoes.........heeehehhehehe. sorry couldn't help myself .

Updated Genesis Products List & Thing To Be Awre Of all iupdated content is listed there
    edited December 1969

Thank you Szark

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

My pleasure. I haven't had any dup ID's for ages now since I updated all the Genesis content.

edited October 2012

Okay complaining again ,now when I add a prop into the scene CMS stops working again and while Catagories is still there the folders are now empty .......and I think I'm getting a headache .......
    Here's a screenshot

Screen_shot.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 264K
    Post edited by carrie58 on
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

You might also want to take a look at the Housekeeping and Maintenance for DS4 thread over in the New Users Help forum.

edited December 1969

Thanks Anne I need to do something cause it seems to be getting worse now when I try dressing Genesis the clothes aren't following ,even if I parent them .........

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    Thanks Anne I need to do something cause it seems to be getting worse now when I try dressing Genesis the clothes aren't following ,even if I parent them .........
    You might also be hitting a memory issue. Check how much Free Ram you have with this scene loaded.
    edited October 2012

Hmmm free RAM ummm how do I check that?? I do know I have 6G of RAM but I don't know how much is being used by DS . and I've got a Quad core so it shouldn't be haveing too much trouble with the scene .........4 figures a backdrop and 4 props .........jeez I did a much bigger scene in DS3 without it have a breakdown .......

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just a thought, but you have A meter Gadget in Win 7 you can just turn on. I find it handy for large sets. The textures eat more Ram than anything. I hit 80% with of my 8Gb of Ram when the Ultimate Forest set is loaded.

edited December 1969

New question when I go to the database folder what should be in it?? I tried following Adam's thingy and it didn't do anything ....I think I'm fubar ......
    Oh and where will userdata export to ?

edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    New question when I go to the database folder what should be in it?? I tried following Adam's thingy and it didn't do anything ....I think I'm fubar ......
    Oh and where will userdata export to ?

There should be 5 files in the database folder, 4 starting with ContentDB and one Master.vdb

Userdata exports to Runtime:Support

After you've done whatever you can from Adam's tutorial, I would suggest uninstalling CMS and then reinstalling DS. When it asks about customizing the CMS installation say yes, and choose a different folder to install the CMS to. If you were able to export Userdata, choose a different location for the databases, too; otherwise try keeping the same databases.

edited October 2012

Well I did the uninstall of CMS and Studio ,had to do the import to get catagories back but for the moment it seems to be working

Oh and since you are here and answering questions umm I have 3 icons for Genesis ,2 are DSF and 1 is a DUF ,so the question is which one is the one I should have ......and could that be causeing the duplicate IDs??

edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    Well I did the uninstall of CMS and Studio ,had to do the import to get catagories back but for the moment it seems to be working

Oh and since you are here and answering questions umm I have 3 icons for Genesis ,2 are DSF and 1 is a DUF ,so the question is which one is the one I should have ......and could that be causeing the duplicate IDs??

The .DUF is the newer version -- it's possible one of the other versions is the problem. Can you go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, expand the DS and Poser formats, and post a screenshot? Don't delete the genesis.dsf files until we've made sure you aren't seeing the Data folder entry, which is supposed to be .dsf.

edited December 1969

Here's the screen shot ........

content_directory_manager.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 168K
    edited December 1969

That looks fine -- not sure where the 2nd Genesis.dsf is located, but the .duf is the only one you need.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

That looks fine -- not sure where the 2nd Genesis.dsf is located, but the .duf is the only one you need.
    If the old content did not get uninstalled, then the Genesis.dsf is at People>Genesis on wherever your default genesis runtime is. It'll be right beside the Genesis.duf.
    201210150740_dup_genesis.png
    194 x 460 - 6K
    edited October 2012

So I can delete the DSF out??

genesis.jpg
    1163 x 780 - 170K
    edited December 1969

And of course while poking around I found another question for either Mike or Adam ........ummm can either of you make sense of this or make it make sense to me??

data_file_2.jpg
    1575 x 927 - 450K
    edited December 1969

and this is the other look

data_file_3.jpg
    1426 x 923 - 463K
    edited December 1969

My guess is that it's in two places so that people can use the updated Genesis Starter Essentials even if they're still using DS 4.5.0.114 -- just a WAG, but they ARE both in the GSE 1.6, so it's not just a question of not uninstalling the older version.

And yes, you can delete the Genesis.dsf that's in the same folder as the Genesis.duf

edited December 1969

Thank you Mike ....... I have to say it's very nice to have people like you and Adam to yell for help to ......thanks bunches

edited December 1969

Well I'm back again with another problem........ once again I loaded a genesis figure ,put on the clothes ,hair ,morphed her to 50% Sadie,some Jasmin and some basic child .........then trying to adjust the camera,blink ....blink the studio literally blinks and the Universal manipulator is suddenly acting like the Universal pose control .....which is crazy enough but I go to edit and hit undo translate and the figure returns to the T pose ......
    at that point I decieded to change her hair out so I go to the catagories and they are empty again ......so I check in the My Library Folder ......it is also empty,the folders are there just nothing in them again. Now this ain't normal.
    I have already deleted the CMS,and Studio,closed the computer, restarted the computer ,had to do a migrate catagories ,and everything seemed to be happy ....until I loaded a new Genesis ..........and the same thing happened again ........BUT the only thing that was happening that isn't now ,so far CMS hasn't shut down or quit working (yet).
    Any thoughts on what I can try next or should I just resign myself to have to either keep remigrating my catagories ,or give up on haveing catagories ......